• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Enjoy while it lasts tho, combofiend talked about a future nerfbat

Won't bother me too much, my main is Evil Ryu. Yun is just a secondary that I might use to counter pick. But seriously, Capcom needs to stop nerfing characters(except Rose on meter gain when absorbing fireballs :p). Yun really isn't that good. Buff DJ, buff Sim, buff whoever needs buffing. But stop nerfing until everybody literally is DJ.

I think Fei is still way up there.

That character is just ridiculous. How the hell do you play footsies with that man?

I think he's still top 5, but he got weaker again so he doesn't scare me as much as he use to. Honestly nobody in this version is that scary.

Pejo

Totally forgot the PC version was coming out tomorrow. Jumped on Steam and a featured ad had the upgrade reminder pop up for the bonus costumes. I had about 8 bucks credit from the summer sale, so I grabbed the upgrade.

Really excited to try Rolento!

I get that a lot but I find rushdown characters kinda have there way with me when I'm playing Fei. Maybe it's character familiarity though, I've been maining Ken for years so I'm still much more comfortable with him. I feel like Fei doesn't have any mix-ups really though now that chicken wing can't be used as a cross up and you have to be a lot far away for Rekka to be safe besides the EX version.

He gets a KD or hit you with normals, but I find it pretty hard to really get inside my opponents head as fei.
I think it would help if I played Fei more and knew what to look for. So I might do that.
It's possible. I've seen Fei players crumble when they face someone who is more patient with footsies than they are.
I have a ton of patience but sometimes I think that's what kills me in the matchup. Wait around to long and catch an overhead and then forget to block low and suddenly I'm in the corner terrified to press any buttons. I can only play footsies against him with two characters. Rose and Vega.
I think he's still top 5, but he got weaker again so he doesn't scare me as much as he use to. Honestly nobody in this version is that scary.

I guess he's "weaker" but I just don't see it. Sure they made him less derpy, but what they gave him makes up for it in my opinion.

I think I really just need to start playing against him the same way I play against Yun. Total disrespect. Sagat is generally my best matchup against him because I play like I have no damn sense when I use Sagat. Perhaps if I apply this logic to Ryu I may get more wins against Fei.

hitsugi

This PC netcode is infinitely worse than anything I've been through on PSN.

This is why I waited. Please release a magical PS4 one or something. I'm not buying a 4th 360 to play these fucking games in normal playing conditions. How could it be so bad on other platforms?

After all these years I finally realize that you can do Select Plink on PC without a stick mod because you can change the button lay out of both start and select. I've been wanting to do a stick mod for years but never did and just didn't realize that it was basically free on PC without any extra effort. I tried it but it's way too awkward.

The two methods I assume most people use is either sliding every button one ever to the right or putting select on one of the two end buttons on the far right side. The problem with the first one is that I'm too use to the current lay out and don't want to spend a ton of time to readjust to a new one. The problem with the second method is that it's too hard for me to use select plink since the jab button and the select button are so far apart. It's very difficult and I tried it using my pointer finger and my pinky but their is no way in hell I could ever do that consistently. I was hitting HP half the time because I just lost track of the button.

So basically what I thought was a great way for me to Evil Ryu links more consistently isn't going to happen because I'm going to have to put a ton of work into a new lay out. I just don't think it'll be worth it unless I'm a serious tournament player and I'm not.

Goliath

Man I am enjoying USF4, however my fighting friends list is weak. If u wanna fight add me on PSN. My screen name is Javy3.

Gandara

Anybody going to meet Yoshinori Ono tomorrow in the bayarea? He's going to be in three locations based on his twitter. Union City gamestop 10-11:30am , San Mateo gamestop 2-3:30 and SF gamestop 5:30-7.

Did they change how Youtube upload works? I remember having to watch the match then it would switch to an upload screen. Now after watching the rematch it replays it again at about 1/100th the speed. I didn't want to sit there and watch it like that as it would have taken 40 minutes at that pace if it were to go through the whole match.

Cammy and Fei.

Tiers were all over the place in Super. I remember seeing Chun, Bison, and Honda claim the #1 spot in several different tiers. Than Akuma, Fei, Cammy started making a lot of noise when people realized how good Cammy and Fei are and how good Akuma still is.

I remember when video of Mago's Fei started surfacing everybody was making comments about how they feel sorry for Mago for picking up such a weak character lol. Then you had characters like Abel and Rufus who were contenders and had ridiculously good 2nd Ultras. And Viper and Seth were actually around and very good. But Krone, Latif, and Poongko hadn't yet become the contenders they would later be to better represent those two characters. If Super had more time it's hard to say who the top 5 would be today.

BTW I went back and played on PC for the first time in two months. Man their is nobody online. All the more serious player are probably on console and all I see are newbies or low level players. But it felt good to see the game at 1080p again. Also looking forward to using the youtube feature on PC where it may actually work well. With modern PC's we should be able to transcode these videos much faster and in high quality compared to the old consoles that take 30-40 minutes doing it in low quality.

Wiseblade

Tiers were all over the place in Super. I remember seeing Chun, Bison, and Honda claim the #1 spot in several different tiers. Than Akuma, Fei, Cammy started making a lot of noise when people realized how good Cammy and Fei are and how good Akuma still is.

I remember when video of Mago's Fei started surfacing everybody was making comments about how they feel sorry for Mago for picking up such a weak character lol. Then you had characters like Abel and Rufus who were contenders and had ridiculously good 2nd Ultras. And Viper and Seth were actually around and very good. But but Krone, Latif, and Poongko hadn't yet became the contenders they would later become to better represent those two characters. If Super had more time it's hard to say who the top 5 would be today.

I'm thinking back to Super and seeing Alioune do the the most obscene stuff with Cammy, while picking Fei seemed like the easiest way to get top 8 in a tournament.

Trickster

I'm really close to pre-purchasing the upgrade, but I'm not sure if I should do it...

giphy.gif

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
BTW I went back and played on PC for the first time in two months. Man their is nobody online. All the more serious player are probably on console and all I see are newbies or low level players.

Well, sure- Ultra is still not out yet. I expect things to change this weekend.

I actually went back to the PC version over Ultra on 360 because of the patch meaning loads of folks had their microphones active so I could eavesdrop on them huffing and puffing, like a rage voyeur. Been trying out the DualShock 4 too in preparation for a PS4 version I probably won't immediately get a stick for.

I decided I'd quickly get the PC version's trials done before Ultra arrives but I've left myself with Viper's 24th and El Fuerte's 23rd trial and remembered how frustrating they can be. I should really have practiced Viper's feints more after all these years.

cHaotix8

Super top four was Akuma, Cammy, Seth and Fei. They've been top 5 consistently throughout the series as none of them have really changed that much. It's funny that people complained that Super was a turtle fest during it's run. Looking back on it now it was definitely the opposite haha.

stn

Super would have turned into Akuma, Cammy, Fei-Long, and Seth in the end. Honda was solid but an overrated top-tier, and Guile was good but still had the same problems if I'm not mistaken (loses to top tier, vulnerable to unblockables).

cackhyena

Damn.. PR Rog says it was by far the best version with the best netcode when he plays the PC version.. I guess he uses the Windows Live version?
I'm not sure, but I do regret getting rid of my GFWL version when I got the STEAM one on sale. Never would have imagined it would be this shitty. I don't hold much hope for Ultra, but it's all I got now. Gave my 360 away last year and PS3, well...lol.

cHaotix8

All the charge characters were a lot better in Super too, so that let them deal with Non-Seth mixups much better. Cammy was at her strongest in Super and Akuma was probably in his 2nd best incarnation, but it didn't matter as much since everyone else except the new characters minus Ibuki were strong too. Ignoring the new characters, the balance the top half for Super was really good.

Street Fighter was a happier time for me in those days. Now I have to deal with unblockables and more divekicks and cr. mk xx red focus hit confirms into all of my life.

Moaradin

I've been playing SF4 for years on PC and the Netcode is pretty much the same. The problems that Steam introduced were the "Waiting for player" messages that would pop up and the longer wait times when trying to join a game. Those were fixed in the latest patch.

cackhyena

I've been playing SF4 for years on PC and the Netcode is pretty much the same. The problems that Steam introduced were the "Waiting for player" messages that would pop up and the longer wait times when trying to join a game. Those were fixed in the latest patch.
But they weren't. I get them almost every time I play the game. They aren't as frequent as before, but they are still there. I have a decent internet speed and a fairly top of the line PC. It's still never as smooth as GFWL and I hate that I even have to type something as absurd as that.

Moaradin

But they weren't. I get them almost every time I play the game. They aren't as frequent as before, but they are still there. I have a decent internet speed and a fairly top of the line PC. It's still never as smooth as GFWL and I hate that I even have to type something as absurd as that.

I've yet to see those messages after the patch. Weird.

Have you tried to open ports in your router as suggested in the SF4 steam forum? Seems it helps.

vg260

Is this a result of Steam requiring users to manually set ports, but don't do?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow. Those costumes are almost all terrible. Poison wins by a landslide though. SF team has terrible taste in fashion/costume design/almost everything. =/

Boy do I miss vanilla and super...

Not all those costumes are bad. Guile's D. Dark alt and Sagat's Cracker Jack-esque alt are great. I want that sim alt because it just looks so cooky and trollish.

At this stage in the game's run, would have been fun to have a create-a-costume option.

vg260

Yeah....

Fuck the netcode for STEAM AE 2012. They fixed jackshit.

How does the netcode go from decent to poor just by removing GFWL?
Does GFWL auto-handle ports or traffic better somehow as someone suggested earlier. Is it possible it's just bad when you connect to someone who didn't set up their ports for Steam? I wouldn't think Capcom would alter the actual netcode, would they? It's so odd.
How does that sort of thing get messed up from going to SFxT 360 to PC (both GFWL) and AE GFWL to AE Steam? The likeliest thing to me for both would be PCs not properly set up.

Dee Jay

- Medium Jackknife Maximum: On counter-hit, this move used to do less damage than the normal-hit version -- this has been fixed.

Stop complaining they said

The characters fine, you just suck they said

Top Bottom