• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
How does the netcode go from decent to poor just by removing GFWL?
Does GFWL auto-handle ports or traffic better somehow as someone suggested earlier. Is it possible it's just bad when you connect to someone who didn't set up their ports for Steam? I wouldn't think Capcom would alter the actual netcode, would they? It's so odd.
How does that sort of thing get messed up from going to SFxT 360 to PC (both GFWL) and AE GFWL to AE Steam? The likeliest thing to me for both would be PCs not properly set up.

It looks to me that the game was designed using GFWL as it's core for the online portion and as such going from that to steamworks without doing a very large change to it (and they didn't) will not provide the desired results. I did pre-order the downgrade upgrade and I regret it deeply.

McNum

Well, booted up AE on PC one last time to mess about in Training Mode and just check if my arcade stick was still okay. And of course see the Super Street Fighter 4 intro movie one final time.

I'm so rusty and it's not like I was much good to begin with. I mean, I know I used to do some newbish LP Shouoken into HP Shouoken combo with Sakura to really move the opponent across the screen, but I just can't hit it now. Ah, well, Shouoken is getting a new hitbox in two hours, so it'd be silly to hack it out now, at least.

I'm thinking of trying out some Elena and maybe Hugo, at least. Any newbie tips for those? (Especially if the tip is "Don't.")

smokeyp

Regarding GMG: I just sent in a ticket to GMG to see if I could get a refund and just buy it directly from Steam. Here's the response:

Thanks for your ticket, unfortunately the refund window for this preorder title is now closed due to its immanent release.

We are sending keys out at midnight however this process takes a few hours to complete. Please keep an eye out for you key in your inbox.

Regards,
Karl

Green Man Gaming & Playfire
Customer Service

Looks like we'll be waiting a little longer. :(

EDIT: Same dude just made a post on the GMG forums:

Hello,

Capcom have pulled forward the release to midnight and as such our USF4 keys will be released in the next few hours. This process may take a short while to complete so please be patient and check your inbox regularly for an email containing your key.

Karl

Yay?

negitoro7

Is this worth buying if I won't be playing online or versus? I recently bought a Wii U and PS4 and don't want to pay for Xbox live just for this game.

Is this worth buying if I won't be playing online or versus? I recently bought a Wii U and PS4 and don't want to pay for Xbox live just for this game.

If you won't be playing online then why would you have to buy xbl?

Anyway, no I don't think it's worth it. But I don't think any fighting game is worth buying unless you're playing against someone.

I played vanilla SF4 for years offline only doing arcade mode, trials, and training mode. I also had people to play locally, but I still put over 100 hours into that version doing just that. I guess it'd depend on you.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Regarding GMG: I just sent in a ticket to GMG to see if I could get a refund and just buy it directly from Steam. Here's the response:

Looks like we'll be waiting a little longer. :(

EDIT: Same dude just made a post on the GMG forums:

Yay?

Move your ass Karl!

cackhyena

Made sure my ports were still right and played some rounds. Played a guy with the name of Brush My Teeth With Your Dick. Interesting. He bodied me, but something real goofy happened in one match. The game seemed to speed up at times in one round. It would judder back and forth but it was like we were moving at 2 times speed at a couple points. Just weird shit. I really hope Ultra does something to improve this.

vg260

From a dev post in the Steam forum:

Yes, the name will change to Ultra Street Fighter IV once the game is officially launched. Store page will be refreshed as well.

It may be confusing for owners who haven't upgraded to Ultra since the Library List will now show "Ultra Street Fighter IV" even if they only own SSF4AE.

Shared title name is an unfortunate side effect and there's not much we can do since both Ultra and SSF4AE share the same AppID in order to allow network compatibility between USF4 upgrade users (those who upgraded from SSF4AE) and full-on USF4 owners (customers new to the series).

McNum

So post-Ultra-launch people who only have AE are technically gonna have to buy the Ultra DLC for their copy of Ultra so they can *actually* play Ultra?
As I read it, the game will still be Arcade Edition when you launch it, but the name in the library will be Ultra. To actually turn it into Ultra you need the upgrade DLC. So you will be launching Ultra Street Fighter 4 off your list to play Arcade Edition if you haven't gotten the DLC upgrade.

I take it that there's very few games that have DLC that actually turns it into another game, so Steam simply isn't set up to handle that.

Wunder

UK.Preorderd.
steam tag lurch666

Average player who can't combo or fadc looking for similar for fun matches.

I can't find you. Link your url, we can play.

Can't wait to jump back into SF4, been holding off playing for ages. Hope everything is smooth on launch.

vg260

So post-Ultra-launch people who only have AE are technically gonna have to buy the Ultra DLC for their copy of Ultra so they can *actually* play Ultra?

Yup. I prefer this way though. I hate that the digital version on 360 still has all the AE labeling, intro and title screen.

Yup. I prefer this way though. I hate that the digital version on 360 still has all the AE labeling, intro and title screen.
The PC version of AE was like the Super to AE upgrade version of AE on 360 up until the Steamworks patch. It was weird.

And yeah stuff like that bugs me too.

negitoro7

If you won't be playing online then why would you have to buy xbl?

Anyway, no I don't think it's worth it. But I don't think any fighting game is worth buying unless you're playing against someone.

Yeah I meant I won't pay for Xbox live, and thus, will only be playing single player.

I just picked it after work, bought the Brady guide too on a whim :p

ChronoX

I own Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on Steam. Can someone tell me if buying Ultra Street Fighter IV (Not the Upgrade Edition) will give me a separate executable/icon on Steam because I prefer to leave my Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition steam copy in it's current state. Thanks!

Gbraga

I own Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on Steam. Can someone tell me if buying Ultra Street Fighter IV (Not the Upgrade Edition) will give me a separate executable/icon on Steam because I prefer to leave my Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition steam copy in it's current state. Thanks!

The name will be changed to Ultra anyway. You might get a new entry on your list, but you'll "own" two copies of Ultra Street Fighter IV.

Trickster

1404372731636.gif

You guys saying it's unlocked, is this just a pre-load or the actual game is playable now once downloaded?

Seems to be out now... Goddamn now there's no longer a pre-order option. I was supposed to have until the store update tomorrow to mull over it. No pre-order content. :(

Top Bottom