• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

thelastword

Banned
Wow, just did the upgrade to the steamworks version. The audio in game is all kinds of messy, the announcer audio flares up out of nowhere then fiddles away in looping fashion. I spent almost 1 hour playing arcade mode and fiddling around, I only got one fight request during that time and it was very very laggy. I went to online battle under multiplayer, it seems that no one is playing at all.

Steamworks version of AE is buggy I get 200Frames with everything max out, yet sometimes it Freezes when i hit someone with a special attack in Arcade mode as though the system needs to load the hit..

When they say that the DLC is only available if you have SSFIV or AE, they mean your original disc, right? Like if I had vanilla and used DLC to upgrade all the way to AE2012, I still have to get a different disc.

When they say that the DLC is only available if you have SSFIV or AE, they mean your original disc, right? Like if I had vanilla and used DLC to upgrade all the way to AE2012, I still have to get a different disc.

There is no DLC for Vanilla (except costumes).
You can't upgrade from Vanilla to any other version.

TheRook

I did, I thought it doesn't come out until midnight on the East Coast though? I think that means West coast gets it at 9 and the other two time zones get it an hour or two later. Is that right?
Sorry, yeah your right. I forgot to factor in time zones for everyone, So you got the update for both? The retail version interest me so I'll get it for 360 in August. I don't have Gold right now either so It gives me sometime to play it on PS3.

Marz

2 days guys.

Just 2 long days. I'm gonna play some online ranked today and chuck as many high tiger shots as I can before its gone forever.

stn

@Marz

Don't feel too bad, man. I was REALLY hyped to play Rolento. Now I'm still hyped but he looks much worse after all of his tools were nerfed. Its going to be hard to get consistent damage with him in a game with so many defensive options.

Sagat is gonna be fine. People are acting like the dude will be less than high tier in Ultra. Adon on the other hand though....

Going by those changes, he got worse and most people feel the same way. Hard to say where he'll end up with the changes to everybody else. But if he's still high tier then it's because most of the cast also got worse or stayed the same, not because he got better.

Marz

@Marz

Don't feel too bad, man. I was REALLY hyped to play Rolento. Now I'm still hyped but he looks much worse after all of his tools were nerfed. Its going to be hard to get consistent damage with him in a game with so many defensive options.

What did they nerf on Rolento? I haven't seen the arcade to console changes on the new characters yet.

Are you going to stick with Sagat? It seems both Adon and Sagat were nerfed....

Probably, I've been trying out some Evil Ryu and some Gouken lately and I wanna see how I like Rolento, Poison, and Hugo....but I'll probably stay with the King.

Sagat is gonna be fine. People are acting like the dude will be less than high tier in Ultra. Adon on the other hand though....

I dunno about that. You don't realize how much of a nerf it is unless you've been playing Sagat for a while. Sagat used to win the fireball war automatically vs. Everyone except Gouken and Guile. Now all of his matchups against fireballers become harder automatically. Guile, Gouken, Dhalsim, and Ryu especially are going to body Sagat.

Then characters that need to get in on Sagat have an easier time. He already does hardly any damage and now you can just focus dash through high tigers without too much worry.

And they nerfed his damage for whatever reason.

I actually think Adon looks pretty solid. The increased hitstun on his jab is a really big buff as well as the 2 light rising jaguars in the corner. They made him less braindead but he's going to excel in a game that will be more focused on footsies than in 2012 imo

@Marz

The only real nerf is his forward EX roll is no longer really abusable.

stn

Active frames on st. mp, his main AA, reduced.
Patriot Circle -3 on block, has poor range so it'll probably be unsafe.
EX Patriot has no invincibility, no longer good wake-up.

That's quite a bit of safe pressure and utility right there.

Going by those changes, he got worse and most people feel the same way. Hard to say where he'll end up with the changes to everybody else. But if he's still high tier then it's because most of the cast also got worse or stayed the same, not because he got better.
Rice-Eater do you plan on still doing a last hurray SSF4 AE tournament still?

Onemic

I dunno about that. You don't realize how much of a nerf it is unless you've been playing Sagat for a while. Sagat used to win the fireball war automatically vs. Everyone except Gouken and Guile. Now all of his matchups against fireballers become harder automatically. Guile, Gouken, Dhalsim, and Ryu especially are going to body Sagat.

Then characters that need to get in on Sagat have an easier time. He already does hardly any damage and now you can just focus dash through high tigers without too much worry.

They buffed his s.lk though and ultra 1 hits fully in the corner, both of which are big buffs imo. How would Ryu body Sagat in Ultra, at least in the fireball game? Sagat's fireballs(both versions) still have faster startup and even with the nerf to high tiger it still has faster recovery than ryu's fb as well, the only thing that it would affect would be the matchups he already had some trouble with that you mentioned earlier like gouken, guile, and sim. This isn't even taking into account the buffs to U1/U2 in terms of utility and st.lk being cancellable on 2nd hit.

and wat at sagat doing hardly any dmg. Play some Yang for a real dude that does hardly any dmg :p

I actually think Adon looks pretty solid. The increased hitstun on his jab is a really big buff as well as the 2 light rising jaguars in the corner. They made him less braindead but he's going to excel in a game that will be more focused on footsies than in 2012 imo

If only they fixed him automatically doing a RJ instead of a IAJK on the P2 side I'd be playing him again.....

I definitely think Adon will be a lot worse though, they pretty much destroyed all of his neutral game tools. Sure, his pressure game when he's up close got better, but like you said Ultra will be more about the neutral, and they completely gutted his tools.

The dp being -5 after fadc is a big nerf too. A lot of people say it's not a big deal because every dp character got that nerf, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a big nerf. On top of that i'm not sure if the people balancing took into account how much of a change that was for those characters just like when they took away akuma's and ryu's escape tatsu away in AE. It was looked at like a universal change but those characters weren't given buffs to reciprocate for that change which resulted in some bad match ups getting even worse for them(fei, cammy, etc).

All these nerfs will hit sagat hard and the only saving grace might be the stand short buff. It doesn't look that good now but it might be useful in some of his harder match ups.

The only issue I have with steam ae is the announcer voice being too loud which is a bit annoying. Other than that it's fine.

I play with a friend from a different country and it's as smooth and playable as it was before the patch. (we get yellow to orange bars)

xCobalt

Those are pretty reasonable changes. SRK says that his st.mp now has 3 active frames (down from 6) which isn't a big deal. The timing is just a bit less lenient. It's pretty common for antiairs to have 3 or 4 active frames. The most important thing about AA is probably the hitbox and startup...active frames not so much.

Patriot Circle will be -3 point blank. Rolento players will probably be canceling from a few normals beforehand so it may not be very punishable depending on the pushback

Did EX patriot have full invincibility? If it did, that would have been really dumb. I don't think there's a character in the game that has a fully invincible wakeup that can lead into ultra.

EX Patriot got stuffed endlessly when I experimented with it as a wakeup, so it's not a big deal it losing any invincibility it had. Patriot Circle being -3 needs the real game to experiment with but it's not Fei's rekka - it's not for throwing out in footsies!

kirblar

EX Patriot got stuffed endlessly when I experimented with it as a wakeup, so it's not a big deal it losing any invincibility it had. Patriot Circle being -3 needs the real game to experiment with but it's not Fei's rekka - it's not for throwing out in footsies!
I'm not even sure Fei's non-EX rekka is even meant to be useful for that anymore.

I'm not even sure Fei's non-EX rekka is even meant to be useful for that anymore.

Have to wait and see on that one. In any case, Rolento has a lovely array of normals for his footsie game, so one of his weaker footsie tools being -3 isn't that bad. Unless you suck at hitconfirms vs Gief.

Anyway:

Bo_0T3iCMAAkleP.png

I just got 3K PP and 10K BP as Rufus in AE2012! This is a huge accomplishment for me, because I've had to come a long way from my old
scrubby and over-focused on one aspect of Rufus
playstyle and beat people based on their own actions in the match, rather than me getting lucky with divekick mixups.

(I'm still totally getting lucky with divekick mixups and Ex Messiah reads though)

El Sloth

Banned
Oh shoot, I forgot all about it. I work tomorrow and Monday. Unless we throw something real quick tonight. I don't have any time.
Could just re-purpose it as an Ultra launch tourney. I definitely would recommend setting a hard limit to the number of entrats though so it's manageable.

Could just re-purpose it as an Ultra launch tourney. I definitely would recommend setting a hard limit to the number of entrats though so it's manageable.

The idea was to throw a farewell to AE tourney with the prize being a free copy of the digital version of USF4 on both consoles. Or me just reimbursing the winners if they already put down money on it. Their is almost no time for that now, especially since I'm working the next two days.

Maybe we can come up with something for USF4 in the next couple of weeks though. I'd like to see some interest though. When I talked about it in the SSF4 thread I think I only got two responses.

HardRojo

They nerfed Rolento compared to his arcade version? I was looking forward to maining him so hopefully the nerfs aren't all that bad.

Also please remember ONLY CLOSE STAND LIGHT KICK is now cancelable. It is NOT SF4 far standing light kick.

This is by far the weakest version of Sagat. He pretty much sucks.

Imm0rt4l

Memo makes me want to play rolento, but he definitely looked a bit derpy in the arcade version. His movement is so so good.

They nerfed Rolento compared to his arcade version? I was looking forward to maining him so hopefully the nerfs aren't all that bad.

Nemo said he was irrelevent in his state at the NWM build. He got nerfed even harder since then. Take that for what it's worth.

Kinda of a weird question, is arcades gonna get ultra soon too? Sometimes I like to go hit up Super Arcade or Round One to play. Thx

They should include the Japanese arcade version in Edition Select to make Ken, Sagat, and Rolento players happy.

Lol DJ

They should include the Japanese arcade version in Edition Select to make Ken, Sagat, and Rolento players happy.

Lol DJ

I fucking knew that spoiler was going to be more slander

Still not over how dirty they're doing DJ. They waited until the final version to roll out the nerfs so nobody could complain at Loke tests. Capcom stay gully

Lets go down the suck tier list & see who sucks in Ultra.

-Deejay
-Ken
-Sagat
-Rolento
-Dahlsim
-Hugo

Those are the ones that reallt c

ome to mind.

jett

D-Member
Got AE on Steam cause it was on sale.

It crashed when I entered a lobby and now Steam is stuck updating packages or something. Eat shit Gaben.

Top Bottom