• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Dartastic

So, when will we PS3 owners be able to play this Monday? Will we have to wait for some unlock thing to be put on the PS store?

stn

Patriot Circle being -3 needs the real game to experiment with but it's not Fei's rekka - it's not for throwing out in footsies!
It has really poor range, same with cr. mk. By the time you push yourself out into a safe range you're probably out of range to do the move, anyway. Yes, we should wait until the game is out but I'm not too optimistic. He's lacking a way to get safe chip damage, which is important in a game with sooooo many defensive options. Also, I'm willing to bet Rolento will have a really weak OS game. Its not like he has fast walk speed or a really good jump, too.

Item Box

C25D2829D07681A94D0E3B17D5D86FEB2D4468FC

i kinda already miss gfwl

Westlo

Lets go down the suck tier list & see who sucks in Ultra.

-Deejay
-Ken
-Sagat
-Rolento
-Dahlsim
-Hugo

Those are the ones that reallt c

ome to mind.

lmao @ Ken and Sagat sucking. Both mid tier at worst, they just aren't the top tier that SRK theory crafted Ken would be or that Sagat actually was in the Japanese Ultra release.

. He's lacking a way to get safe chip damage, which is important in a game with sooooo many defensive options. Also, I'm willing to bet Rolento will have a really weak OS game. Its not like he has fast walk speed or a really good jump, too.

He has EX stinger for solid chip, but I believe his normal knives cause none themselves. Again, we're going to have to see where his disadvantage on rekka blocks leave him. As he can rekka, punishing the first rekka is tricky as he can go into the second. Rolento also has good ways around defensive options, as he has a solid overhead with a great low-crush hitbox (which can combo on counter hit) along with his pogo, good throw range, really good anti-fireball tools and good normals.

Rolento's jump is something I will definitely disagree with you on. It's not crazy low or fast but he has good options out of jumping due to his pogo.

On his OS, he is probably going to be able to OS backdashes on wakeup extremely well - he will be able to OS using U2 and slide. OS is hard to guess without actually testing stuff though.

The real issue Rolento is going to have is lack of damage. Without his abusable EX Roll he ends up not being able to dish out a quick safe burst of damage into U1 whenever the player sniffs his opponent pressing buttons.

EDIT: Momochi vs Daigo in USF4: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv180058973 - one of them using Decapre.

His pogo jump is fine, yeah. But his regular jump is floaty, makes him easier to SRK.

True, but as a Rufus player I can confirm that being able to modify your jump in mid-air plays hell with people's AA ability. :p

You also shouldn't be jumping in ways that are easy for people to SRK anyway!

I don't think he's going to be top anymore - if Capcom had released the Dreamhack Winter build of him everyone would be screaming for nerfs - but I think he'll end up in high-tier because of his combination of mobility, great footsies and mixups. He might well get eaten by Gief for breakfast but that remains to be seen.

stn

Speaking from my experience playing Rolento in SFxT, I considered 'Gief a good matchup. EX knives will make keep-away slightly easier, while st. fp/cr.fp/st.mp will be all you need to keep him out. Really, all you need to watch out for is random lariats. Its one of those matches where you'll be chipping away and reaction-poking until the last second. I'm not worried at all about the grapplers, I'm more concerned about Guile, Honda, and Chun-Li. I feel Guile might be one of his worst matchups. We'll see.

Will we have enough time to taunt after KO-ing the opponent?
I heard it was possible in SF4 vanilla, but removed for SSF4 because the one of the devs thought it was unsporting or something.

Laconic

Banned
Will we have enough time to taunt after KO-ing the opponent?
I heard it was possible in SF4 vanilla, but removed for SSF4 because the one of the devs thought it was unsporting or something.

Appeal AKA hitting the opponent's ko'd body was. Japanese players found it dishonorable or some such cultural faux pas.

KAL2006

Banned
SSF4 AE on Steam is only £3.74

I am thinking of picking it up, but have a few questions before I pull the trigger

How is the online community on PC?
How much will Ultra upgrade be on PC, will I save more money if I just buy Ultra later?
What is the chance of UItra coming out on PS4?

bumpkin

I'm not sure if I'll be able to play a ton, but I'm definitely upgrading…

Network: Xbox Live
Gamertag: DaveB1980

stn

@KAL

I never had problems finding people. Ultra upgrade will be $15US, don't know the amount in GBP. You need either AE or Super to be able to get the Ultra upgrade alone, though I don't think Super was ever released for PC. If you don't buy AE now then you'll have to wait for August to get the full retail version. According to Amazon the full retail edition will be anywhere from 19-30 GBP.

See what other people say but I *think* its a good move to get AE right now for that price, then get the DLC upgrade as opposed to the full version.

Wunder

SSF4 AE on Steam is only £3.74

I am thinking of picking it up, but have a few questions before I pull the trigger

How is the online community on PC?
How much will Ultra upgrade be on PC, will I save more money if I just buy Ultra later?
What is the chance of UItra coming out on PS4?

If you're in the UK the online community is pretty big, at least relative to where I was (SEA). There's like 5-10 matches from prime time to like 5am in my experience and because of the sale there's lots of new players too. Faced a bunch of 200-600BP players, but there are also some mid-high level players so you have a decent skill range to improve.

I hope it comes out on PS4, I will gladly double dip.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't care how low tier Rolento winds up, I'm still going to play him. I suck too much at this game for it to matter much anyway.

If I have the PS3 disc version of SSF4 and I bought the digital upgrade version on PSN, is there any way to play without inserting the disc? It got kinda annoying having to put the disc in every time I wanted to play some AE...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If I have the PS3 disc version of SSF4 and I bought the digital upgrade version on PSN, is there any way to play without inserting the disc? It got kinda annoying having to put the disc in every time I wanted to play some AE...

Sure; buy SSF4/AE digitally too.

RS4-

Well, now I got a 360 back and just need XBL.

GT: dokterrhouse
Steam
PSN: resonating

Not sure if I'll end up getting it for PSN though.

TheRook

Without the Full Digital version, No.

Your options are.

Buy AE Digitally then purchase the Ultra update.

Wait and purchase the Full Digital copy of Ultra in August.

*Off topic* I never saw the issue people have with game disk, especially in this day and age when gamers are complaining about not getting enough physical releases. It all seems counter productive to me. I personally like physical medium for games, Digital is nice for handhelds but for consoles...It really depends for me I guess. I appreciate my Digital only titles and PS+ games, but If I can help it...I would buy the game physically. I respect the decision of people buying digital, I just don't really agree with it.

Hansel?

Neo Member
As someone who only plays as Guile and has considered himself pretty decent at SF4 from the beginning, I never got into reading up on updates and stuff. With the new Edition Select, I'm wondering what the consensus best version of Guile will be?

Trickster

Is Cammy's cr.HP -> cr.MK -> hk.SA really possible to do? Been trying to get it for 5 minutes in training mode now. Seems way harder to get than the typical 1 frame link hit.

This is an AE question. But figure this is the unofficial "street fighter 4" thread for the time being.

RedEther

Is Cammy's cr.HP -> cr.MK -> hk.SA really possible to do? Been trying to get it for 5 minutes in training mode now. Seems way harder to get than the typical 1 frame link hit.

This is an AE question. But figure this is the unofficial "street fighter 4" thread for the time being.

It's possible just try plinking the cr.MK. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the combo is a two frame link(in ultra it will be one frame)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
*Off topic* I never saw the issue people have with game disk, especially in this day and age when gamers are complaining about not getting enough physical releases. It all seems counter productive to me. I personally like physical medium for games, Digital is nice for handhelds but for consoles...It really depends for me I guess. I appreciate my Digital only titles and PS+ games, but If I can help it...I would buy the game physically. I respect the decision of people buying digital, I just don't really agree with it.
After DLC installation the disc itself is rather meaningless. The disc itself has Super or AE, but you want to play Ultra and the only way to do that is through data on your console's HD.

zlatko

Banned
I wish they had given Decapre's move set to any character they could've just originally made. I'm not big on it being a Cammy clone in appearance, but I do like her move set. Solid mid tier.

How are Cody and Abel shaping up in Ultra ? High Mid tier ?

Wynnebeck

Banned

I've just learned to listen to the button presses and watch the cues to get it out. That way, you can off stuff like cr.LP -> Standing cl.MP -> cr.MK -> hk.SA. ;)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think that is one of her easier combos. Just time and buffer the rest immediately after getting the hit sparks.

All of Cammy's combos are easy. Just gotta know if the spacing is right when you get a hit confirm.

I should note that I'm plinking. I've gotten so used to plinking that I plink everything. Don't think it's a good habit. Like if I'm pressing cr.HP as an AA I'll plink it with a MP anyway. Just gotten so second nature.

xCobalt

Looking at the frame data, it's a 2 frame link. I think the only reason you're having trouble is because you're not used to the timing of linking off a hard normal. If you're linking from a light or medium attack, there isn't as much delay for your next attack since it has fewer total frames.

I wish they had given Decapre's move set to any character they could've just originally made. I'm not big on it being a Cammy clone in appearance, but I do like her move set. Solid mid tier.

How are Cody and Abel shaping up in Ultra ? High Mid tier ?

After looking at the Abel changes, it doesn't seem like he's changed much. He had a lot of fixes rather than buffs. They tried to make his low followups on COD better but I doubt any abel players will use it. There's just too much startup and he'll probably get counter hit if the opponent is crouch teching. They did improve EX Falling Sky by adding more active frames and invincibility but I'm not sure if Abel players will be using that move since they have to use meter so often in other situations.

Cody is looking pretty good. Simple stuff like improved walkspeed, better cr.mk and airborne hopkick will really make make his frame traps better. It's going to be even harder to punish his light criminal upper. It's going to be -4 now and there are very few moves that have enough range and startup to punish it.

Onemic

All of Cammy's combos are easy. Just gotta know if the spacing is right when you get a hit confirm.

I should note that I'm plinking. I've gotten so used to plinking that I plink everything. Don't think it's a good habit. Like if I'm pressing cr.HP as an AA I'll plink it with a MP anyway. Just gotten so second nature.

I do the same

vulva

I don't plink but the mentioned combo is pretty easy to land. I wish I knew how easy it was before, I shoulda been playing Cammy during AE2012 like every Chun did.

BizzyBum

I'm definitely grabbing Ultra for the Xbox 360 on day 1.

Add me if you wish - BizzyBum

I've been trying a little Evil Ryu and his more advanced combos are actually really tough. lol

TheRook

After DLC installation the disc itself is rather meaningless. The disc itself has Super or AE, but you want to play Ultra and the only way to do that is through data on your console's HD.
I guess because I have the mindset that it's dlc to the game I feel like its a no brainer to put the game back into the console...if that makes sense.

I figured that super or ae had hooks in the code to allow additional content to be added to the game, unlike with vanilla apparently. The updates themselves don't actually have this core data thus can't be played independently...we'll this is what thought at least. If I'm way off the mark then, hey what can I say. It just seem right to me.

Top Bottom