• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

mbpm1

Man. For some reason the Poison matchup for Decapre just escapes me. I always seem to just find myself unsure of what to do against her.

All I end up doing is sliding and jumping at her with far rh at a distance. It feels like her options are better.

mbpm1

I thought I'd give Decapre a shot. Seems like hands is a big part of her gameplan. As a skill its something I should probably just learn if I wanna open up some more options.

If you wanna learn hands plinking with a light punch with whatever normal you're cancelling from helps a lot.

I thought I'd give Decapre a shot. Seems like hands is a big part of her gameplan. As a skill its something I should probably just learn if I wanna open up some more options.
This is what I'm having issues with. I play on a pad, and moves like that have always given me trouble. So for now I'm pretty much doing everything *but* hands. I'm also shopping for sticks. :p

kiaaa

i love getting SPD'd when i hit someone with a +2 move. playing against grapplers online is almost as bad as blankas/fuertes.

This is what I'm having issues with. I play on a pad, and moves like that have always given me trouble. So for now I'm pretty much doing everything *but* hands. I'm also shopping for sticks. :p
What kind of pad are you using?

Oh and for anyone that pre-ordered from amazon and didn't get their code, you probably have to contact them. I just did a few hours ago and they gave me my code.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
well, i know how to play against grapplers for the most part. i guess i'm mostly just venting about shitty pc online right now.

Speaking of venting. My new favorite thing in the world is smacking the cool kid mashers who do walk up dp's and walk up grabs constantly. I swear my face lights up like a christmas tree when they realize someone has their number and they just start doing dumb shit. its hilarious seeing a 3k pp evil ryu who hits every combo crumble like a cookie when someone picks up his shitty wake up habbits and then proceeds to wreck his shit.

Myn

I would say PC version would be a good version to invest into if Capcom's willing to do beta tests to address and fix the netcode issues. It's playable in private lobbies at least.

alstein

Is it safe to purchase the PC version of Ultra right now? I'm afraid I'm gonna waste my money if it's too laggy.

It's not there yet IMO, but it's safe to buy- it's looking pretty likely that it will be sorted out, and it's already better than PSN.
(Capcom just never could do the PS3 right this gen)

Side question: do people never play the Skullgirls beta? Eliza looks fun so I don't want to play the regular version. Is Eliza almost ready to be ported to main game?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
*sigh*
I don't know what it is, I'm great at Tekken and Soul Calibur, really good at Guilty Gear, Blazblue but even after now owning all FOUR disc versions of SF4 I continue to be terrible at this game. I got beat by a friggin' Blanka online who was just doing the down electricity move over and over :( It was a bit laggy but Lord how embarrassing. Trying to main my two faves Crimson Viper and Poison

"*sigh*
I don't know what it is, I'm great at Tekken and Soul Calibur, really good at Guilty Gear, Blazblue but even after now owning all FOUR disc versions of SF4 I continue to be terrible at this game. I got beat by a friggin' Blanka online who was just doing the down electricity move over and over :( It was a bit laggy but Lord how embarrassing. Trying to main my two faves Crimson Viper and Poison"

If all he's doing is doing electricity, you can just throw fireballs with Poison or do ground pound with C. Viper.

*sigh*
I don't know what it is, I'm great at Tekken and Soul Calibur, really good at Guilty Gear, Blazblue but even after now owning all FOUR disc versions of SF4 I continue to be terrible at this game. I got beat by a friggin' Blanka online who was just doing the down electricity move over and over :( It was a bit laggy but Lord how embarrassing. Trying to main my two faves Crimson Viper and Poison

Sweeps at max range go through Blanka's electricity. You can also Ultra them. As for the rest of the game, pick somebody with good normals or Ryu, learn the art of footsies i.e., wiggling back and forth and kicking each other in the shins. C. Viper is such a weird character that you're going to have a hard time learning Street Fighter if you stick with her, though.

I'm having a lot of trouble doing QCF x 2 when facing left now. Never was a problem in AE.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
"*sigh*
I don't know what it is, I'm great at Tekken and Soul Calibur, really good at Guilty Gear, Blazblue but even after now owning all FOUR disc versions of SF4 I continue to be terrible at this game. I got beat by a friggin' Blanka online who was just doing the down electricity move over and over :( It was a bit laggy but Lord how embarrassing. Trying to main my two faves Crimson Viper and Poison"

If all he's doing is doing electricity, you can just throw fireballs with Poison or do ground pound with C. Viper.

I always mess up her ground pound and use the wrong "distance" punch button :/ My biggest issue is the movement of like walking across the background is so slow and stiff for me, it's not the game's fault but I can't get used to it even after 4 iterations of the game. I do soo much better when I can zip across the screen

enigmatic_alex44

Sweeps at max range go through Blanka's electricity. You can also Ultra them. As for the rest of the game, pick somebody with good normals or Ryu, learn the art of footsies i.e., wiggling back and forth and kicking each other in the shins. C. Viper is such a weird character that you're going to have a hard time learning Street Fighter if you stick with her, though.

I'm having a lot of trouble doing QCF x 2 when facing left now. Never was a problem in AE.

thanks for the advice! :D
I'm too stubborn to switch characters, once I've decided my faves based on looks, personality and just how much I like the character and the look of their fight style I stick with them. I do the same in Blazblue with Litchi and Soul Calibur with Ivy, always seem to pick a super weird technical character :p

alstein

*sigh*

Another option is well spaced low kicks/slides.

"*sigh*

no shame in losing to online blankas bro. it's almost a given. unless you are pristine in your comboes, a single lapse in execution or lag will end up with a electricity spam hit. all blankas mash that elec when under pressure.
(i should know, thats all i do :B)

Myn

Good games to who i just played. It was a bit laggy. I hope they get their netcode fixed soon.

It was me!! Yeah, fun games. It was tolerable for the most part but those skips every often were weird, it doesn't normally do that when I have private lobbies up either. :\ Maybe it's a side effect of the patch that just released because a bit before we started playing, offline training mode was dropping frames too.

no shame in losing to online blankas bro. it's almost a given. unless you are pristine in your comboes, a single lapse in execution or lag will end up with a electricity spam hit. all blankas mash that elec when under pressure.
(i should know, thats all i do :B)

I was playing someone at the arcade a couple months on a side-by-side cab and whenever I got them in blockstun they'd mash like crazy. It was so loud that I had to look over and it was like they were mashing for MvC2 super damage. Doesn't that hurt your hand? lol

*sigh*
I know that feeling man. That's how I was with MVC3. It was the first Capcom game I was legitimately shitty at, and I couldn't for the life of me get any better. Normally I have a 65-70% win rate in Capcom fighters but MVC3 I was floating around 42%. I was really bad until I made a character switch and started learning each aspect of the game one at a time.

I know you said you don't wanna switch characters and I'm just recommending that you temporarily add Ryu to your roster. In my opinion it's the best way to learn footsies, AA's, spacing and so on. Poison could definitely do it to though. Viper on the other hand....

I feel like I need to join the PC players once they fix the netcode. I'm getting sick of psn...

Even without the fix the experience is still better than PSN. It's hit and miss but at least you'll still get your share of games with minimal or no lag. Which is very unlike my experience with PSN where the majority of games are lagging with no fix in sight for the past 5 years. Hopefully that upcoming patch will do the job and bring us back to the GFWL days which was pretty good for the most part.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I bought the upgrade from a gaffer and it says "ultra" in my games library but it's still arcade edition when I start the game up :(

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Did you get a 2gb update? The same thing happened to me till I backed out and saw something downloading.

Nope no update. :(

edit: steam doesn't show me as owning Ultra when I go to the Ultra store page.

edit 2: on the steam page it says you must already own Ultra Street Fighter IV to buy the upgrade!!! WTF why would you buy the upgrade if you already own the game!

Top Bottom