• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Nope no update. :(

edit: steam doesn't show me as owning Ultra when I go to the Ultra store page.

edit 2: on the steam page it says you must already own Ultra Street Fighter IV to buy the upgrade!!! WTF why would you buy the upgrade if you already own the game!

right-click the title in your library and choose properties, then select DLC

it should look like this
jRLQmld2OWtKc.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Now steam store is saying I DO own Ultra. Make up your mind!

^^^does not say that in properties

did you get the digital upgrade as a code or as a steam gift? if it was the former, did you activate it? and if the latter, make sure it's not still sitting in your inventory and that you have selected "add to my library" or whatever

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Retried activating the gift and now it's working fine. Thanks guys. Was very confused about it naming all copies Ultra now.

Adzin

Neo Member
Speaking of Ultra upgrading, does the 360 GoD version of SSFIV:AE update its name and boxart when the Ultra add-on has been purchased?

I haven't upgraded to Ultra yet, I know it'd bug me no end if it still displayed the AE box art/title in my game collection :eek:

Speaking of Ultra upgrading, does the 360 GoD version of SSFIV:AE update its name and boxart when the Ultra add-on has been purchased?

I haven't upgraded to Ultra yet, I know it'd bug me no end if it still displayed the AE box art/title in my game collection :eek:
I can't speak for right now since the retail version launched (it might have changed), but the last time I played it on 360 it still said it was AE up until you get past the title screen. On the dashboard it was still SSFIVAE and whatnot.

Adzin

Neo Member
I can't speak for right now since the retail version launched (it might have changed), but the last time I played it on 360 it still said it was AE up until you get past the title screen. On the dashboard it was still SSFIVAE and whatnot.

Oh wow, the title screen didn't change either?! I wish I wasn't so anal about these things! Thanks for the reply, hopefully it has changed/will change since the retail launch.

Genki

So, I'm having a lot more trouble with just basic motions when playing now. Figured out that the dpad on my old fightpad from vanilla SFIV is sticking, which sucks. I'm not sure if it fully explains my difficulties or if it's just causing me to walk forward too far\get command normals by accident\etc though. Wish I could use my stick(which I never properly learned), but I didn't want to bother bringing it to Japan.

Capcom really needs to fix the lag\freezing in the new PC version, holy shit.

Domstercool

Oh wow, the title screen didn't change either?! I wish I wasn't so anal about these things! Thanks for the reply, hopefully it has changed/will change since the retail launch.

Nope. The DLC check on console is done after the title screen, therefore the downloaded upgrade version doesn't change the title screen from Super Street Fighter 4 or Super Street Fighter 4 AE (depending which retail disc you have). I've had Super mentioned on mine from its launch all the way through AE and Ultra. :D

The retail disc for Ultra has it saying Ultra on the main menu though. :)

It's probably not going to change. You'll likely just have to buy the retail copy. Even on the retail copy it will still show that you're playing Super. Achievements are still under Super as well.

I believe the retail copy does show it as Ultra when you're on the dashboard and you're selecting to play the game. Not 100% sure since I shelved the retail copy almost immediately.

I haven't had that much of a bad time online (PS3). I suppose I'll see the difference once I grab the Steam version. Thinking of getting it on 360 as well but I don't have a stick on there yet soooo yeah.

Also it must be a mental thing that I sometimes have trouble quarter circle forward movements when I'm on P1 side but I don't have an issue with the same movement on P2 (which would be quarter circle back). It's more of an annoyance than anything else but I'm still working on sorting it out.

vg260

It's probably not going to change. You'll likely just have to buy the retail copy. Even on the retail copy it will still show that you're playing Super. Achievements are still under Super as well.

I believe the retail copy does show it as Ultra when you're on the dashboard and you're selecting to play the game. Not 100% sure since I shelved the retail copy almost immediately.

FWIW, I had the digital version of Super on 360, and never bought the AE upgrade. When the AE2012 patch came out, they converted the digital version of Super into AE, essentially upgrading digital Super owners to AE. My title screen says AE. So maybe they might do the same for Ultra down the line. Although Ultra has a lot more content than AE did, so that might be less likely, especially if there's not another big rebalance.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I haven't had that much of a bad time online (PS3). I suppose I'll see the difference once I grab the Steam version.

Neither have I. I'm used to playing online though and generally that's where I'm playing- might feel differently if I played offline a lot more.

I've been playing the Steam version for the past few days and that's where some real problems are, as we all know by now. Am avoiding ranked for the time being, but I have issues just trying to get into lobbies and then there's that whole freezing problem that can happen in matches. But hey, they're working to resolve it and it's still playable since this doesn't happen all the time.

Stuck between the 360 version and the PC version at the moment. Why couldn't they just get the netcode to work on PC? :(

Oh yeah, there's a local player called Fuzzy up here in Liverpool who is wrecking everyone with Poison. She is terrifying in the right hands. If she spaces her fireballs properly it is extremely hard to get in on her, at least with Rufus, a character that theoretically beats her. :\ I think she might well be the best of the new characters.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The game's pretty damn bad on PS3. Then again, all of Capcom's PS3 ports have paled in comparison to the 360 version.

Oh, no doubt that PS3 ranks last behind PC and 360, but it's plenty playable. I don't regret dropping XBL and just sticking with PS3 and PC last since last year.

It's also true.

It's not. People complain about the quality of online play in pretty much every new game. Not to say that they shouldn't, but there's always factors like location, network quality/speeds, and all that jazz. If Street Fighter's online play was really that awful, nobody would be playing it. See KOF XII (even XIII was an improvement) and KOF '98 UM XBL for a good example of what bad netcode truly is.

The netcode is as bad as KOFXIII, maybe slightly worse.

No way. Not even close.

Shito

Oh yeah, there's a local player called Fuzzy up here in Liverpool who is wrecking everyone with Poison. She is terrifying in the right hands. If she spaces her fireballs properly it is extremely hard to get in on her, at least with Rufus, a character that theoretically beats her. :\ I think she might well be the best of the new characters.
Yep, I suck with her but even I can very well see and enjoy how her three very different fireballs can be a pain in the ass for the opponent, even when he does have moves that are supposed to counter fireballs.

I'm currently focusing nearly all of my time into Juri. Also putting in some training with Poison though she will take some time for me to fully grasp.

Neither have I. I'm used to playing online though and generally that's where I'm playing- might feel differently if I played offline a lot more.

I've been playing the Steam version for the past few days and that's where some real problems are, as we all know by now. Am avoiding ranked for the time being, but I have issues just trying to get into lobbies and then there's that whole freezing problem that can happen in matches. But hey, they're working to resolve it and it's still playable since this doesn't happen all the time.

Granted there are a ton of no-bar/1-bar connections when I do search in Ranked but when I do find a decent one it is pretty solid.

Hopefully I'll try out the Steam version tonight (but stay out of Ranked).

FSLink

Banned

On the 360 installing it has it with the AE box and the name when choosing to play it is "StreetFighter IV" Title screen/intro is Ultra.

Yep, I suck with her but even I can very well see and enjoy how her three very different fireballs can be a pain in the ass for the opponent, even when he does have moves that are supposed to counter fireballs.

It's not just the fireballs. She has amazing anti-jump A2As - her j.hk is pretty much instant (so instant its startup animation does not complete before it's capable of hitting you) so any non-perfect jump is going to get punished. And if she's remotely concerned about jumps, she can start throwing in HP fireball and get juggles into Ultra 1 when you land on it.

It's counteracted by her limited ability to move forward or get people off her, granted. But Fuzzy makes her look ridiculous. I expect him to go far at VSF.

It would actually be pretty funny if he won VSF and qualified for CC, actually, given he's already gone to a CC for SFxT.

i assumed, but just wanted to be sure.

i think the matchup got a little better for dudley in ultra, but honda still has this in his favor, especially if he's playing it right and holding down-back and just reacting.

you're gonna have to go ham, take some risks and make good reads. it sounds like you're getting anti-aired and air-to-air a lot so your approach will have to be ground based. i don't play dudley but im sure he's got tools to get in safely (short swing blow?, reg/ex duck?) which you can convert into hard knockdown and make honda lose his charge. you should be able to focus-dash chops and stand roundhouse, nothing you can really do about jab hands except take the chip. ultra 2 all headbutts on block.

Stuck between the 360 version and the PC version at the moment. Why couldn't they just get the netcode to work on PC? :(

Yeah I've been having a lot of fun with her. That fireball game is serious, especially when you're in the corner
i assumed, but just wanted to be sure.

i think the matchup got a little better for dudley in ultra, but honda still has this in his favor, especially if he's playing it right and holding down-back and just reacting.

you're gonna have to go ham, take some risks and make good reads. it sounds like you're getting anti-aired and air-to-air a lot so your approach will have to be ground based. i don't play dudley but im sure he's got tools to get in safely (short swing blow?, reg/ex duck?) which you can convert into hard knockdown and make honda lose his charge. you should be able to focus-dash chops and stand roundhouse, nothing you can really do about jab hands except take the chip. ultra 2 all headbutts on block.
I think you mean Ultra 1. If you're talking about Rolling Thunder.

cackhyena

So is Bison a notoriously hard matchup for Ibuki or am I just ass? I swear I have a harder time with Bisons as her than anyone else.

Roche

So is Bison a notoriously hard matchup for Ibuki or am I just ass? I swear I have a harder time with Bisons as her than anyone else.

I've been playing Ibuki a while and I still suck VS. Bison, I think it's probably her worst MU. I still don't know how to handle it so you're not alone.

kcxiv

i like the top half of Balrog's new outfit, not digging his skinny jeans though. what the fuck were capcom thinking lol

No way. Not even close.

KOF was pretty great for me if my opponent had a good connection. so i assume it's no different here? does the game mask bad connections worse than the predecessors? SF4 is pretty bad with spammable high damage moves. maybe it's not worth bothering if they botched it.

thelastword

Banned
I'd rather watch a Marn sex tape than play on PSN.
You guys never cease to amaze me with these gross PSN over-exxagerations. I played psn for years and comparing it to xblive right now, xblive is not better by default, it depends on your connection and the connection to your opponent for both sevices.

This entire morning I was playing ranked on xblive and between yesterday and today it's been some of the worse matches I've had on any service. I even played an SF4 dev just moments ago and what do you know, the match was laggy as all hell. I asked him "why aren't you working on the netcode?, you saw how bad that was"

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
PSN is also trash not just because of the crappy connections to begin with but also add in the input lag which will never be fixed and you got yourself the worst version. No ways around it.

You can like it all you want but even players like Daigo, Sako, Chris G, etc, etc, have expressed their discontent with playing on PS3 online or off. But unless you play characters with precise links it shouldn't matter.

MrMephistoX

Anyone have a weird issue where their fight sticks just stopped working in the game on PC? I backed out to big picture mode and could use it there and in Mortal Kombat on Steam so I think it must be the game.

vulva

But unless you play characters with precise links it shouldn't matter.

Links aren't really the problem since you can get muscle memory/rhythm down for once the combo's started.

The inherent input lag's biggest problem is for punishes, especially if the blocked/punishable move's window of punishment is extremely small.

Top Bottom