• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Holy shit, I didn't know people still used turbo with Bison. It's 2014!

Hold one button(or two to crouch tech) > did it hit? > yes > Scissor kick bitches. I do think plinking buttons that are vertical to each other is a pain in the ass compared to horizontal but that's still cheating.

I'll be honest though, I actually used to use turbo back in 2009 when I was just getting started. I played on SF4 PC on a MCZ pad and I realized how easy it would be to just hold down jab to confirm into DP with Ryu. You could also link cr. HP after a solar plexus by just holding down HP, it was basically guaranteed. When I use to play Hitokage a lot on PC back in the day I did actually use it against him as well. When he asked me to attend tournaments, this was one of the reasons why I didn't want to go. I knew I was a scummy cheater. So I practiced up to hit these combos without turbo. I finally got over it but I see that others still haven't after all these years.

Lothars

Challengers pack is the only one I feel the urge to buy, though. I don't need $20-worth of costumes, especially when the retail edition of ULTRA was supposed to include everything.
That's a strange complaint especially when the retail version did come with all the costumes up until release. I'm pumped there's new costumes and plan to pick them all up.

Hold one button(or two to crouch tech) > did it hit? > yes > Scissor kick bitches. I do think plinking buttons that are vertical to each other is a pain in the ass compared to horizontal but that's still cheating.

I'll be honest though, I actually used to use turbo back in 2009 when I was just getting started. I played on SF4 PC on a MCZ pad and I realized how easy it would be to just hold down jab to confirm into DP with Ryu. You could also link cr. HP after a solar plexus by just holding down HP, it was basically guaranteed. When I use to play Hitokage a lot on PC back in the day I did actually use it against him as well. When he asked me to attend tournaments, this was one of the reasons why I didn't want to go. I knew I was a scummy cheater. So I practiced up to hit these combos without turbo. I finally got over it but I see that others still haven't after all these years.
What's funny is that it did more harm than good for him. I beat him because of it.

Then another Bison player joined and completely destroyed me. Just very proper and very solid play.

I forgot how fun Bison can be in this game...until you get rushed down. Does he have any good anti-airs from straight above? s.Hk doesn't seem to cut it..

Marz

I forgot how fun Bison can be in this game...until you get rushed down. Does he have any good anti-airs from straight above? s.Hk doesn't seem to cut it..

With DWU and a bajillion escape options that man is hard to pin down though.

I think he's really good in this version.

Edit: Nah I don't think he does. And thank God.

With DWU and a bajillion escape options that man is hard to pin down though.

I think he's really good in this version.

Edit: Nah I don't think he does. And thank God.
I guess it's just wake up ex psycho crusher all day then..
edit: Yah he seems pretty good, yet I don't see a lot of people playing him. Must be he loses to the top tiers?

Myn

Pretty much. I'll be mad at Capcom if it still sucks after the patch goes through beta. But right now I have faith.

According to them it's an actual testing period instead of just throwing it out there. I kinda wish they spent their resources tweaking the GFWL to Steamworks transition, I remember how much of a mess that was.

According to them it's an actual testing period instead of just throwing it out there. I kinda wish they spent their resources tweaking the GFWL to Steamworks transition, I remember how much of a mess that was.
Yeah, I guess the deal was that these issues didn't manifest in their testing the first time around or something? I'll be opting in to the beta, myself. And yeah the first Steamworks transition sucked. I kinda stopped playing the game as much at the time because of it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Links aren't really the problem since you can get muscle memory/rhythm down for once the combo's started.

The inherent input lag's biggest problem is for punishes, especially if the blocked/punishable move's window of punishment is extremely small.

Links offline aren't a problem no matter how bad the input lag but combine that with a very bad connection and it becomes a completely different game. It's like playing the very first SF where you get like one in three chances to actually have hadoukens and shoryukens come out.

cHaotix8

I think as long as you haven't gone to ranked or fight request before joining an endless lobby you should be okay. The problem is that the game is constantly searching for matches, even after you've joined one. If you don't search to begin with there shouldn't be any lag.

That's a strange complaint especially when the retail version did come with all the costumes up until release. I'm pumped there's new costumes and plan to pick them all up.

Up until release being the key phrase, there. Then they decided to milk it some more. I just don't like how they resort to $DLC of this magnitude when they have so many great franchises they could be exploiting. Tech Romancer, Power Stone, Rival Schools. :(

vulva

Up until release being the key phrase, there. Then they decided to milk it some more. I just don't like how they resort to $DLC of this magnitude when they have so many great franchises they could be exploiting. Tech Romancer, Power Stone, Rival Schools. :(

Are you trying to imply that the artists who create new costumes should be programming and coding a new power stone?

I think as long as you haven't gone to ranked or fight request before joining an endless lobby you should be okay. The problem is that the game is constantly searching for matches, even after you've joined one. If you don't search to begin with there shouldn't be any lag.
Nah, I believe that's bs. I haven't joined or searched a ranked match since Ultra came out (lol points). The lag varies from match to match whether I set up a lobby or join a lobby. Private lobbies seem okay doe.

We just have to wait for Kappacom to fix the issues.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
People don't read. Even on forums.

I usually do but have been offline since Friday working on a paper on 1978's Invasion of the Body Snatchers (along with family stuff as usual), and just booted up Steam and see Ultra got a patch. Any details on what's been addressed?

NEO0MJ

Does the game run worse for anyone else after that 500MB patch on PC?

Anyone have a weird issue where their fight sticks just stopped working in the game on PC? I backed out to big picture mode and could use it there and in Mortal Kombat on Steam so I think it must be the game.

Yeah, it happened to me before and left me really puzzled. Try pressing alt+tab to minimize the game and then restore it, it worked for me, then.

Some of the new costumes aren't that bad.

Might pick up Guy/Vega just because of theirs
Yo Count, how many xbl profiles do you have? Every time I see a Deejay player I just assume it's you, cause no one could actually want to play this sorry ass character.

.....yet I still lose to him. Unfuckingreal.

Needs more nerfs Capcom.

Myn

Does the game run worse for anyone else after that 500MB patch on PC?

For me it has. :\ Offline training mode has been weird and I played a set in a private lobby yesterday and it was stuttering, not as bad as ranked but the lag was still noticeable throughout every game.

Anyone have an idea of "verify integrity of game cache" fixing offline mode problems? I used to use it for TF2 all the time when it used to perform really bad but SF4 is a totally different game, not sure what that option does in the first place.

Yo Count, how many xbl profiles do you have? Every time I see a Deejay player I just assume it's you, cause no one could actually want to play this sorry ass character.

.....yet I still lose to him. Unfuckingreal.

Needs more nerfs Capcom.

I've only had one gamer tag: Count Blackule.

I've barely used Deejay in Ultra after Capcom dropped a deuce on his broad black chest.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is the patch coming anytime soon? I'm seriously considering asking for a refund. Every single one of my Ranked matches has lag. Sometimes for a bit, but more often for the majority of the match. All other online games (including fighting games) run without a hitch.

So fucking pissed at Capcom for selling this broken POS.

Coda

Finally getting Poison down, almost at 2000 BP with her. I feel like I jump with her sometimes when don't intend to though. Usually when I'm flinging projectiles.

Marz

Is the patch coming anytime soon? I'm seriously considering asking for a refund. Every single one of my Ranked matches has lag. Sometimes for a bit, but more often for the majority of the match. All other online games (including fighting games) run without a hitch.

So fucking pissed at Capcom for selling this broken POS.

Justin Timberlake - Cry Me A River: http://youtu.be/DksSPZTZES0

Trickster

Anyone that can tell me how Rose's U2 is supposed to be used? I've been playing her a bit against friends, and I try to do what luffy did at evo, which basically seemed to be activate it as soon as you get it and force the opponent to be defensive, and in the process often being able to use it twice per round. But whenever I use it, people will still just attack me with jabs, kicks and shoryukens, and it will beat out the ultra astoundingly often. Just makes me wonder what I'm doing different than high level players.

Anyone up for some endless on PC? My Day 5 Decapre could use some matchup experience.

I'm not a scrub, and I wouldn't say I'm intermediate level either, but I can see 'em both from here.

Anyone that can tell me how Rose's U2 is supposed to be used? I've been playing her a bit against friends, and I try to do what luffy did at evo, which basically seemed to be activate it as soon as you get it and force the opponent to be defensive, and in the process often being able to use it twice per round. But whenever I use it, people will still just attack me with jabs, kicks and shoryukens, and it will beat out the ultra astoundingly often. Just makes me wonder what I'm doing different than high level players.

The ultra starts up in 4 frames I believe so you can't really just throw it out there pointblank vs some characters.

Personally, I have a bad habit of using it closer to being dead so I don't end up having two. I prefer to get it full then use it for almost guaranteed chip damage at the late game. Or I use to get the opponent off of me if I'm being heavily pressured in the corner or so. Also use it for setups off of knockdowns a lot.

Probably top 5 Ultras in the game tbh. Total game changer.

Trickster

The ultra starts up in 4 frames I believe so you can't really just throw it out there pointblank vs some characters.

Personally, I have a bad habit of using it closer to being dead so I don't end up having two. I prefer to get it full then use it for almost guaranteed chip damage at the late game. Or I use to get the opponent off of me if I'm being heavily pressured in the corner or so. Also use it for setups off of knockdowns a lot.

Probably top 5 Ultras in the game tbh. Total game changer.

Yeah I'm aware of it's startup. But my problem comes from the fact that often the guys I'm playing with will just barely give a fuck that I activate the ultra, and proceed to just stay near me, and then throw out random jabs, kicks, fireballs or whatever, and it will just hit me and cancel the ultra. I figure that I must be the one doing something wrong, because if the ultra was as useless as it's being for me currently, then there'd be no reason for top players to back off agains't any Rose player that uses U2 agains't them.

Top Bottom