• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Yeah I'm aware of it's startup. But my problem comes from the fact that often the guys I'm playing with will just barely give a fuck that I activate the ultra, and proceed to just stay near me, and then throw out random jabs, kicks, fireballs or whatever, and it will just hit me and cancel the ultra. I figure that I must be the one doing something wrong, because if the ultra was as useless as it's being for me currently, then there'd be no reason for top players to back off agains't any Rose player that uses U2 agains't them.

If they're trying to time their limbs through the orbs then they're doing it right by trying to get it to disappear. That's what I noticed Fuudo did in his set vs Luffy. Right when he activated U2, Fuudo would try get as close as he could so the orbs would be gone without wasting too much time and playing passive.

I don't really face much people that stay in my face like that and press lots of buttons when Orbs are out. Depending on where we are on the stage, I might just throw out a heavy Spiral to get up close and have the orbs either hit or be right in their face. You also have to block when they're out though. I also use the Slide a lot when I have orbs activated when somebody is walking backwards.

or just activate U2 then heavy soul throw and hope for the best

mbpm1

Yeah I'm aware of it's startup. But my problem comes from the fact that often the guys I'm playing with will just barely give a fuck that I activate the ultra, and proceed to just stay near me, and then throw out random jabs, kicks, fireballs or whatever, and it will just hit me and cancel the ultra. I figure that I must be the one doing something wrong, because if the ultra was as useless as it's being for me currently, then there'd be no reason for top players to back off agains't any Rose player that uses U2 agains't them.

Rose's seem to often block when they activate it to bait out shoryus while at the same time staying close enough that fireballs won't be the easy answer. I'm not a rose player though.

Kaleinc

Banned
I guess it's just wake up ex psycho crusher all day then..
It's punishable on block by many (ultras included) and easily option selected. Safer to ex devil reverse or block.
edit: Yah he seems pretty good, yet I don't see a lot of people playing him. Must be he loses to the top tiers?
Like anyone else but the man has a lot of tough match ups besides top tiers. That could have changed in Ultra though.

Vice

You have to show you have fangs with it. Activate after a knockdown and pressure with normal pressure strings and throw setups. If you activate it in neutral make sure you're out of range for their normals.When active its a time where you can go chip crazy. Its a shied that means they can't freely press button so a mix of pressure and blocking until the orbs disapear is what's best. Worst case you do a hundred or so in chip and best case you get a juicy orbs combo.

Marz

I guess it's just wake up ex psycho crusher all day then..
edit: Yah he seems pretty good, yet I don't see a lot of people playing him. Must be he loses to the top tiers?

I know Yun and Cammy wreck him cuz of divekicks.

Guile is like a hard counter.

He's pretty solid against most of the cast i believe though.

OceanBlue

I get 40-60FPS when I watch a stream in the background of PC USF4, but otherwise I get 80-100FPS :(. I don't know what's going on. I've never had this problem pre-Steamworks so I'm not sure if it's my machine or the game.

Shito

Finally getting Poison down, almost at 2000 BP with her. I feel like I jump with her sometimes when don't intend to though. Usually when I'm flinging projectiles.

I heard she has no buffer for some reason. It sure feels like it.
Yep, you're right: for whatever reason, she's the only character who doesn't have any jump input buffer leniency for her fireballs. What it means is, if you're ending up your quarter circle motion with up forward, any fireball character in the game will detect that you probably wanted a fireball and will throw one. Everyone but Poison. She will jump.

Funny other trivia: it seems she's the only one who can negative edge her back throw. I've still haven't tried to confirm that, but it would explain the sometimes "mystical" throw I get with her.

Also, I'm crappy at 360s, so the other day I was training myself a bit because I really want to sub Hugo just for the fun. Found out that 412369 + any punch was enough to get the SPD, but wasn't enough for his meat squasher. You have to at least add 8 as another input to get it to work.
Bleh.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
WOW, this shit sucks balls. Freezing, lag, my stick will straight up stop responding randomly in some matches for a few seconds. What the fuck. Try to create a Ranked room, freeze. Garbage.

At least me and Gods Beard had two decent matches, lag-wise.
LLShC.gif

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Does yang really have the fastest forward walk speed in the game? SRK wiki has him at 0.057 which i think is the fastest. Chun and Vega both come in at 0.055.

That's a strange complaint especially when the retail version did come with all the costumes up until release. I'm pumped there's new costumes and plan to pick them all up.

It's also worth point out the bullshit. The Comparability pack is 536.36 MB. However so are all the other individual costume packs. Which means that the compatibility pack is it's own DLC with it's own hidden locked content. It's not even close to worth the money. I caved and bought the 2014 challengers pack but even then, £3.19 is a fucking joke. It should be free.

Posting these b/c it's rare for me to get wins, especially against Rolento. If you're an insomniac, pay special attention, as any dhalsim match will put you to sleep. :p

Sim vs. Rolento

Sim vs. Cammy
Personally I think Rolento can safely handle Shaldim.
Edit: Dhalsi- whatever >: (

cody/poison

I play and main both (hence my name).
(I don't play characters how they should so people will most likely disagree with me)

Cody:
(I also point out that I am Cody with Knife player)
- Use (EX)Zonk Bingo Punch to get around fireballs. (FADC on block if you're scared/on hit into Ultra)
- Zonk Knuckle leaves Codys upper body invulnerable to attacks but only briefly. But this means you can dodge any mid and high attack. If a Ryu/any other character does an attack, Cody will duck into the background and hit. But if you use Bingo Punch, you can be hit low/tripped.
- Crouching Light kick is a great poke tool as it was buffed to 2frame start up. Also, try to confirm into a combo from it. Should out prioritise Ryu medium kick Poke
- EX Slide goes through fireballs and Metsu Hadouken
- Crouching Medium punch is an OK poke and can be special cancel-able. This is is also an easy special cancel-able confirm.
- Ryu cannot Tatsu through the rocks or knife. Rocks contain a special property unlike any other projectile in the game that stops them being have the same type properties as hadoukens/projectiles. Which means, as stated before, Ryu can Tatsu through Ken, Akuma, Poisons fireball etc but not Codys. Feel free to play the fireball game from full screen (but obviously be wary of your start up frames, though you have good recovery).
(I think Gouken is the only other character)
- EX Rocks are easy to confirm into Ultra or other big hitting combos.
- After being hit by a Shoryken, use sand attack (Up attack) on wake up to get Ryu (and other characters) if your arse. A lot of people will try to keep in your face. This stops it. Just don't spam if it if you're going to get crossed-up as it's unsafe
- Wake up Sand Attack also counts as a projectile and will stop Hadouken pressure on wakeup.
- Wake up Sand Attack is a reversal/lowers your hurtbox lower/the hitbox is higher than Cody during the animation/is an anti-air and stops every single character in the game from crossing you up due to the moves properties (See for yourself).
- Wake up Sand Attack can also be FADCd on hit/block to confirm into Ultra.
- Use the knife. Makes him have the best normals in the game. I can't stress this enough and they do chip on block.
- Back Medium punch will beat all of Ryus jumping attacks. Good anti-air
- Standing heavy punch/kick have further range than all of Ryus attack making them also a good anti-air
- Utilise Codys Dash. He has little to no wake-up game but doing a wake-up dash can get you out of the corner and away from potential corner pressure or a cross-up. He has a pretty good forward dash
- Press down + taunt for fake rocks/Fake knife. This baits every player/character in the game to reacting. Very important mind game.
- Criminal upper on hit puts you at safe jump range so SHORYUUUUKEN(!) won't hit if you safe jump.
- Ultra 2 goes through fireballs. The beginning sand attack is considered a fireball and will rival/fight against/absorb on coming projectiles.
- Standing medium kick goes above Ryus crouching medium kick making it an OK poke

I'll add more later and I can't be bothered to proof read. Also, too lazy to type out Poison but she's just a frkkin' amazing zoning character.

Also:
Going to shamlessly plug my channel here but if anyone is interested in seeing all 20(yes 20) colours of Poison and Hugos Vacation Pack DLC, then I just uploaded a video of them here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw5QAziUqBI&feature=youtu.be

xCobalt

Cody:

- Crouching Light kick is a great poke tool as it was buffed to 2frame start up. Also, try to confirm into a combo from it. Should out prioritise Ryu medium kick Poke
- Ryu cannot Tatsu through the rocks or knife. Rocks contain a special property unlike any other projectile in the game that stops them being have the same type properties as hadoukens/projectiles.
- Criminal upper on hit puts you at safe jump range so SHORYUUUUKEN(!) won't hit if you safe jump.

I disagree with some of the stuff you said but these are wrong. Cr.lk is 3 frame start up, Rocks don't have any special properties (the angle is just too high for tatsu to go through) and jumping in after a criminal upper isn't a safe jump setup.

gutabo

Finally got to play the game yesterday in a long three hour session at a friend's place. I instantly fell in love with Hugo. Got a little bit of time in training mode too(not much cause my friend got bored quickly), Honda still has his unblockables but some things have changed, some of them are now only fake crossups and some of his fake crossups are now unblockables(tested only against guile). Hugo was very fun with his hard reads and Honda is worse or kinda the same(which is bad because seems like everyone else was buffed). Ultra 2 seems like a legit punish against many stuff tho, and that 1 more frame after ex hands sure helps but his big damage is still very situational. Only thing I had in mind and tested with success on my friend was delayed wakeup setups into meaty stuff. Hopefully I can go to my friend's place again soon, I had a blast with Hugo!

I disagree with some of the stuff you said but these are wrong. Cr.lk is 3 frame start up, Rocks don't have any special properties (the angle is just too high for tatsu to go through) and jumping in after a criminal upper isn't a safe jump setup.

Fair enough. I should've correct the crouching light kick.

It sounds like you play a really, really risky Cody.

In all honesty it's based on how I've played for the last 4 years. But if people on here know more about the deeper game then I'm not gonna dispute it(frame data/hitboxes/tech etc) since it's not what I would consider "top player tech". Again, it's just what I've observed and my own personal advice.

Anyone up for some games on XBL?

Yeah sure.

The game's CPU usage actually goes down when I turn a stream on lol. Normally it stays at 25%, or one core I guess. When a stream goes on it fluctuates between 12-25%.

Then I have no idea. I only noticed slowdown in AE when I had 4 twich streams running at the same time and the game would be noticeably slow when I played it but the benchmark ran at a solid 60 frames at all times.

i feel like it was a lot easier to hit 3k pp this time around. i know im going to fluctuate now, but i really want to hit 10k bp with decapre (most i ever got with honda was 7k in super).

add me: its chaotix

Oh my. That Zangief costume has me(and my friend) laughing hard. I love how you did jump light punch and the mittens just slice through. Also, I love how it has Zangiefs head hair crafted on to it. OH my and those colours. Crackin' up while playing XD
Good stuff man. Shame about the button delay and stuff. :)
GGs!

If anyone wants to play, I'm still on so send a message to my Gamertag. 3 day weekend hype to do nothing but get back into SFIV. Gonna be on all night.

cHaotix8

Oh my. That Zangief costume has me(and my friend) laughing hard. I love how you did jump light punch and the mittens just slice through. Also, I love how it has Zangiefs head hair crafted on to it. OH my and those colours. Crackin' up while playing XD
Good stuff man. Shame about the button delay and stuff. :)
GGs!

If anyone wants to play, I'm still on so send a message to my Gamertag. 3 day weekend hype to do nothing but get back into SFIV. Gonna be on all night.

Haha, yeah the Zangief new costume colors are great. Fitting for my scrubby playstyle with him,

GG's though man, didn't know you were from the UK. The connection wasn't as bad as you would think at least.

Kieli

Finally managed to get that bizarre bug where the sound gets progressively more and more crappy (tons of reverb and echoes).

I had to turn off Vista compatability mode or something along those lines.

Top Bottom