• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Village

I dunno if this is widely known, but anyone encounter a glitch will guy's first ultra where at the end of the initial part he grabs no one for the izuna drop?

mbpm1

I dunno if this is widely known, but anyone encounter a glitch will guy's first ultra where at the end of the initial part he grabs no one for the izuna drop?

I've seen that before. I never played Guy for srs tho, so I don't know the specifics for why it fails or doesn't fail.

I've seen it a few times, yeah. But I'd only seen it happen to Decapre so I thought it was just a new character bug or something.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does Capcom's PC porters know the button config has changed from console's "key map" like system to where the key configs are keyboard 1/2 despite the fact that if you're using a controller the menus and stuff use X360/controller button prompts?

It's a little annoying to try to figure out what I'm mapping. Apparently you can switch it to controller 1/2/3/4 but why do I have to do that for what shouldn't have changed?

mbpm1

What happened?

A ryu knocked me down when I landed on a fireball and was about to win a close match. He backed off and threw a meaty fireball to chip.

Unfortunately I was sitting on charge with Decapre's Ultra 2 and activated it as i woke up. As soon as the knee hit his chest: "The player has left the session,"

I could taste the salt from the other side of the screen lol

A ryu knocked me down when I landed on a fireball and was about to win a close match. He backed off and threw a meaty fireball to chip.

Unfortunately I was sitting on charge with Decapre's Ultra 2 and activated it as i woke up. As soon as the knee hit his chest: "The player has left the session,"

I could taste the salt from the other side of the screen lol
The last funny rage quit I recall having was against a pretty good dudley that jumped too much. I caught on in the 3rd round and he lost 3/4 of his life to me anti-airing his jump ins... Then "player has left session."

Well I don't really play Guy anymore but you seem to be doing a lot of unsafe slides, and you don't hit confirm with low forward or jabs.. I think s.Mp is a good poke though, but you should probably end combos with mk run slide to get a hard knockdown, then go for elbow pressure or empty jump into c.lk, or something.

cackhyena

Wow, Steam has only gotten worse. I'm now disconnected after every match. From Steam. It's saying I have to sign in, but I back out of the game and Steam is still up and running fine. This game is beyond fucked.

Tabasco

Well I don't really play Guy anymore but you seem to be doing a lot of unsafe slides, and you don't hit confirm with low forward or jabs.. I think s.Mp is a good poke though, but you should probably end combos with mk run slide to get a hard knockdown, then go for elbow pressure or empty jump into c.lk, or something.
I would play an easier character to learn like Ryu, but I'm too comfortable with Guy's move set.

Basically, I'm pretty terrible at the game and I don't really have an idea on how to improve.

I would play an easier character to learn like Ryu, but I'm too comfortable with Guy's move set.

Basically, I'm pretty terrible at the game and I don't really have an idea on how to improve.
Well I guess practice c.lk c.lk s.mp (+s.HP) ->run mk and c.lk c.lk (or c.lp c.lp) -> bushin combo. I remember I played Guy in SSF4 pretty badly for like ever, hell this game in general until I watched how better players played the character (then switched to a top tier). I still think I'm pretty mediocre after 4-5 years (on and off) of SF4...

MrDaravon

Is freezing still an issue for folks or has that been patched? I just got this today on Steam, the game rates my machine at an A with everything cranked up (not a big accomplishment), but I have frequent freezes online. Arcade Mode/Training are totally fine, but online matches fluctuate between being totally fine and freezing for like 2-5 seconds semi-frequently (no waiting for other player pop-up, just completely freezes). Since other modes seem to be 100% fine so it's either the game or my internet, and I can't see how/why it would be my internet since everything seems to be in order there, so figured I would ask before I start going nuts on trying to figure out if it's something on my end with my network or something.

Oh and in the few matches I played I got whooped on once by someone named NERF DEEJAY so that was hilarious. No, he did not play Dee Jay.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Does anyone know the best way to learn Ryu's fadc into ultra? I've practiced about 50 solid hours in training mode but still can't really do it.

Onemic

Does anyone know the best way to learn Ryu's fadc into ultra? I've practiced about 50 solid hours in training mode but still can't really do it.

dp FADC into ultra?

just gotta practice it man, I remember it took me a looong time before I was able to get it down.(by the time I had gotten it, I already dropped ryu for Yun, heh) Try doing it slowly so your hands get a feel for what they need to do and slowly speed it up.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
dp FADC into ultra?

just gotta practice it man, I remember it took me a looong time before I was able to get it down.(by the time I had gotten it, I already dropped ryu for Yun, heh) Try doing it slowly so your hands get a feel for what they need to do and slowly speed it up.

how many hours should i spend practicely solely fadc into ultra? like 200 or 500?

Onemic

I think I'm in love...with Dudley. Dude has got some serious punch. Chaotix, or any other Dudley player, how does Dud approach the Poison matchup with her fireballs? Specifically her H fireball?

how many hours should i spend practicely solely fadc into ultra? like 200 or 500?

I'd say, depending on how consistently you practice it would take you around 1-3 weeks to where you can get it down pretty consistent.

Can anyone critique my Guy?

I want to know what I did wrong in this match and what I could have done to win it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbx6rmVmtsI

Unsafe close cr. Roundhouse. Use cr. Forward instead. Just cr. short x2 and confirm it into the combo below.
You should practice his (cr. short x 2 > St. Strong > St. Fierce > Shadow Kick). Works on standing or crouching characters.

If standing you can do cr. short x 2 to Bushin Gokusaken.

Also if you plan on using U2, you should learn some Red Focus combos so its more viable. The way you are using it, its not at all viable.

If you want to learn frametraps. Guy close St. Forward is the one I seen used. If you hit them with it, you can go directly into st. Strong > St. Fierce (Target Combo).

Source: Not a Guy main, but I've seen some shit.

Are you serious? We've both been playing this game since Vanilla back in 2009, I'm surprised you're still struggling with it. To be honest, I struggled with it for years as well, I only got over the hump a few years ago and not it's not something that I drop more often than not. As for the how, their is no secret. Either you can do it or you can't. Their are some things that I've practiced for years and won't try in matches because I just don't have the execution for it. I don't think SRK, FADC, Ultra is hard but some things I find hard others find very easy. So I'm not sure how to advise you on that.

Nyoro SF

u wot

I broke it into pieces, and it took me about an hour before I had it down completely (before that point, in the year 2009, I had never done a rapid/roman cancel in my life, so I had started from zero).

First I practiced just hitting FA after doing a DP.
Then I practiced dashing after that sequence. This was the hardest for me to do.
Then I practiced doing dash -> ultra. This is easy because you can buffer the double quarter circles during the dash.

Then I just put them all together (kind of haphazardly kept messing up parts) and practiced until I got it. Feels pretty natural once you realize it's all one sequence that you don't stop hitting buttons for, no real pausing needed.

Been playing Ultra on PC since release and this netcode bug has been so frustrating I just want to stop playing completely. Every single time I play a ranked match I get a lag spike around the beginning/middle of the second round and it completely destroys the flow of the match and has both lost and won me games and I fucking hate it. And the worst part is that Endless has 0 problems if you play in a private lobby with friends, so I know it's not a problem with the base netcode but that stupid bug that Capcom, a multimillion dollar company with decades of experience and developing games, simply fucking missed!. However, I don't always have that luxury every time I start the game and sometimes I just want to play as many random people as possible and see how I compare, that's the point of Ranked isn't it? I'm seriously thinking of just buying gold and dropping another 15 dollars for the 360 version just so I don't have to deal with a completely fucked online ranked mode.

mbpm1

u wot

I broke it into pieces, and it took me about an hour before I had it down completely (before that point, in the year 2009, I had never done a rapid/roman cancel in my life, so I had started from zero).

First I practiced just hitting FA after doing a DP.
Then I practiced dashing after that sequence. This was the hardest for me to do.
Then I practiced doing dash -> ultra. This is easy because you can buffer the double quarter circles during the dash.

Then I just put them all together (kind of haphazardly kept messing up parts) and practiced until I got it. Feels pretty natural once you realize it's all one sequence that you don't stop hitting buttons for, no real pausing needed.

Yeah, breaking it down makes learning most combos like this a snap. You definitely do not need to be spending hundreds of hours on a single combo.

Anybody else looking for endless on PC? Ranked is such a disaster, but you still can't do Fight Req endless.

And I'm having trouble with double qcf when facing left. It was far easier for me in AE, now I have to really think about hitting the down-forward and forward or else I just get dp motion. It's weird.

Marz

Went to my scene monthly today. Got 7th or 9th, went 2-2.

Was one win away from facing 801 Strider in the bracket.

First loss was to an Akuma, decided to play Adon against him since I dont like Sagat vs. Akuma. It was 1-1 and in the final round of the last game I had him and I fucked up. He had been teleporting back on wakeup a lot and I got a knockdown and knew he was going to try to avoid pressure, so as soon as I seen the teleport animation I let Jaguar Revolver rip, but I didn't realize I needed the long version of the ultra so I didn't hold forward and he was able to block in time. Would have killed him easy. Pretty salty about it.

Second loss was to an Adon player who's flat out better than me. Although my Sagat was putting up a decent fight.

Onemic

Been playing Ultra on PC since release and this netcode bug has been so frustrating I just want to stop playing completely. Every single time I play a ranked match I get a lag spike around the beginning/middle of the second round and it completely destroys the flow of the match and has both lost and won me games and I fucking hate it. And the worst part is that Endless has 0 problems if you play in a private lobby with friends, so I know it's not a problem with the base netcode but that stupid bug that Capcom, a multimillion dollar company with decades of experience and developing games, simply fucking missed!. However, I don't always have that luxury every time I start the game and sometimes I just want to play as many random people as possible and see how I compare, that's the point of Ranked isn't it? I'm seriously thinking of just buying gold and dropping another 15 dollars for the 360 version just so I don't have to deal with a completely fucked online ranked mode.

Its happened to me in endless too. Ranked or endless doesnt matter for me, in fact Ive had more stable games in ranked than in endless so far...

Went to my scene monthly today. Got 7th or 9th, went 2-2.

Was one win away from facing 801 Strider in the bracket.

First loss was to an Akuma, decided to play Adon against him since I dont like Sagat vs. Akuma. It was 1-1 and in the final round of the last game I had him and I fucked up. He had been teleporting back on wakeup a lot and I got a knockdown and knew he was going to try to avoid pressure, so as soon as I seen the teleport animation I let Jaguar Revolver rip, but I didn't realize I needed the long version of the ultra so I didn't hold forward and he was able to block in time. Would have killed him easy. Pretty salty about it.

Second loss was to an Adon player who's flat out better than me. Although my Sagat was putting up a decent fight.
Yo, you went to GSR? Was that you on stream with the crazy Adon alt? I'm sad I couldn't go this time. I made it out last month though.

Nyoro SF

I dunno who spread that silly rumor about endless netcode being better than ranked. News flash, the same netcode is used for all matches. How the game pairs you up has no bearing on the game's communication.

They really need to fix this.

kiaaa

I dunno who spread that silly rumor about endless netcode being better than ranked. News flash, the same netcode is used for all matches. How the game pairs you up has no bearing on the game's communication.

They really need to fix this.

It's not a silly rumor. The endless and online training modes aren't constantly polling for challengers.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I just beat Fragment super bad in ranked. Just totally destroyed him. I'm ready for Daigo (may he live forever).

It's not a silly rumor. The endless and online training modes aren't constantly polling for challengers.

Why would it poll for challengers if you already have a challenger and it's a 2 person max "room"? Does someone have source code or something?

Onemic

The netcode is still ass though. Getting rid of only the polling will not end all of the problems with the netcode. Only one of them. It'll essentially go back to ae2012 steamworks netcode which was still terrible.

RyudBoy

Hey, does anyone know if I can upgrade to USF4 on PC if I just have the original version? Not Super or AE, just the first version of SF4.

Top Bottom