• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

I don't really get why people say he's bad. I mean yeah he can be caged with many characters and can't get in on them but that's why he's a classic grappler with insane damage. Mike Ross even bodied the number 2 Cody on XBL on the last Excellent Adventures episode.

I wouldn't say Cody does great against grapplers though.

OceanBlue

ggs RyudBoy and Grakl. I definitely need to learn to stop myself from throwing fireballs when people get in bad ranges as Sagat lol.

Myn

Is Cody's knife actually good or is it more of a matchup specific thing to use? I'm noticing it's getting a lot of popularity as of late. I've never seen top level Codys in the past ever use it (I'm trying to learn him and have been watching Sasaki and Momochi lately), and I don't remember it getting any buffs outside of throwing it causing armor breaking now and canceling normals to pick it up. The only times I use the knife are for the fancy mid-combo cancels but other than that when I have it in my hand I can't really fight with it.

hypernima

Banned
I just did poison's arcade mode and her ending.... probably the most what the fuck thing I've seen in street fighter since Ken's weight bench.

cHaotix8

I dunno, I always thought Cody did fairly decent against grapplers. Good ground normals, decent anti air options, fake fireball and corner carry combos are nice to have. I think the biggest thing he lost though was throw invincibility on ex criminal upper. It sucks but it's not really a huge game changer.

FSLink

Banned
Is Cody's knife actually good or is it more of a matchup specific thing to use? I'm noticing it's getting a lot of popularity as of late. I've never seen top level Codys in the past ever use it (I'm trying to learn him and have been watching Sasaki and Momochi lately), and I don't remember it getting any buffs outside of throwing it causing armor breaking now and canceling normals to pick it up. The only times I use the knife are for the fancy mid-combo cancels but other than that when I have it in my hand I can't really fight with it.

It's a great tool, and cr.HP has a ridiculous hitbox with knife. s.MP with Knife hits twice and chips on block, it's fantastic. The cancelling normals to pick it up helps a lot since it gives him a safer way of grabbing it.

I feel Cody has trouble against the Grapplers who can more safely get in his face. :p So Zangief is pretty miserable, but T.Hawk is a bit more managable.

All Hawk needs is a bar and he's in against Cody though. Can't use rocks anymore to keep him out, so he has to rely on a hard read instead. GG if he gets knocked down, too.

kiaaa

I grinded my way to over 5k bp with Evil Ryu. It was such a sad and depressing experience lol. I got lost in the grind where I would tell myself I'll quit after reaching a certain point but then I'll lose a ton of points to bad players because of lag and try to make up for it. I'm going to try and stick to endless from now on. The lag is horrid and happens too often.

EDIT: Oops, meant BP. I've never gotten anywhere close to 5k pp on any version.

I did the same thing last night. So miserable trying to do any 1-frame links and I also found out the BnB whiffs on DeCapre.

I win more matches when I leave the tough combos out of my play, but then I just feel like another pointwhore in ranked.

You're a madman. I don't know what the difference is but ranked is just so bad D: at least I've run into (a few) people who back off and wait when the spikes get out of hand.

Yes I am, I've spent literally hours just cursing at how bad the lag is and despite that I keep going. Being random'd out by bad players sucks, but whatever happened you have to take blame for allowing it to happen. But you can't even blame yourself when the lag is so bad that skill is no longer a factor. It's basically a Fuerte mirror where both players are doing random shit and hope that it works.

As for the spikes, I've experienced that several times. I don't think we can blame the other player for attacking when the lag spikes hit. I know that when it has happened to me, several moves that I input at the beginning of the lag comes out a second or two later when I stop pressing buttons and just try to walk or jump back. Same probably goes for everybody else.

If anybody wants late night sessions I'll hop on in an hour or two, PC or 360.

I did the same thing last night. So miserable trying to do any 1-frame links and I also found out the BnB whiffs on DeCapre.

I win more matches when I leave the tough combos out of my play, but then I just feel like another pointwhore in ranked.

You play Evil Ryu to? As for being a "point whore", well I guess I am one. I hate to admit this but it does sort of matter to me. It's not that I think having a certain amount proves that I'm good, it's about trying to gain more. Kind of like how everybody shoots for the high score or have the best time. PP is like the games money to me and it's the main reason why I play ranked. It puts something on the line which makes the matches a little more meaningful for me.

But like I said, I don't have any delusions about the number making me believe I'm good or having others think I'm good. I've been around 3k a lot in AE 2012 only to lose to guys with much less and a few of them will send messages to me saying something about how they're not impressed or insulting me because they expect better from a guy with as many points as I have. I just had it happened yesterday in USF4 when I lost to a guy with 2100pp when I had over 2800 lol. If he ever gets to that point he'll see that it's nothing special.

What's wrong with ranked? I play it a lot on 360. Seems the same to me as player matches in lag to good matches ratio.

I don't play for points, but I like that the points represent what I have done.

I like playing all the wacky playstyles. Its like the arcade of old, heh. Some people do weird stuff.

What's wrong with ranked? I play it a lot on 360. Seems the same to me as player matches in lag to good matches ratio.

On 360 online is mainly fine, it's the PC version which is the problem.

Forgot to mention it but the other reason why I play ranked over endless is because I want variety and I want to play instead of sitting around in a room with the same guy or the same 2-3 guys. No way will I jump in a room with 4 people already unless it's a room with friends or other GAF'ers. Too long of a wait in between matches unless I'm not dominating the room.

kiaaa

Yes I am, I've spent literally hours just cursing at how bad the lag is and despite that I keep going. Being random'd out by bad players sucks, but whatever happened you have to take blame for allowing it to happen. But you can't even blame yourself when the lag is so bad that skill is no longer a factor. It's basically a Fuerte mirror where both players are doing random shit and hope that it works.

As for the spikes, I've experienced that several times. I don't think we can blame the other player for attacking when the lag spikes hit. I know that when it has happened to me, several moves that I input at the beginning of the lag comes out a second or two later when I stop pressing buttons and just try to walk or jump back. Same probably goes for everybody else.

If anybody wants late night sessions I'll hop on in an hour or two, PC or 360.

You play Evil Ryu to? As for being a "point whore", well I guess I am one. I hate to admit this but it does sort of matter to me. It's not that I think having a certain amount proves that I'm good, it's about trying to gain more. Kind of like how everybody shoots for the high score or have the best time. PP is like the games money to me and it's the main reason why I play ranked. It puts something on the line which makes the matches a little more meaningful for me.

But like I said, I don't have any delusions about the number making me believe I'm good or having others think I'm good. I've been around 3k a lot in AE 2012 only to lose to guys with much less and a few of them will send messages to me saying something about how they're not impressed or insulting me because they expect better from a guy with as many points as I have. I just had it happened yesterday in USF4 when I lost to a guy with 2100pp when I had over 2800 lol. If he ever gets to that point he'll see that it's nothing special.

I only consider people pointwhores when they have completely adapted a playstyle made for either short sets (i.e. ranked) or lag (stuff like DP mashing during combos or the dreaded Ken double light DP).

It's annoying losing matches to people and then absolutely shitting on them if you find them again because you know their gimmick.

I don't consider you a pointwhore if your goal is to win. Not like it matters what I think anyways. People can play the game however they want.

Forgot to mention it but the other reason why I play ranked over endless is because I want variety and I want to play instead of sitting around in a room with the same guy or the same 2-3 guys. No way will I jump in a room with 4 people already unless it's a room with friends or other GAF'ers. Too long of a wait in between matches unless I'm not dominating the room.

Yea, that's the other reason I don't play endless. I only have so much time and I don't want to wait around to play. On 360, I never have to wait to get a match it seems. I start arcade mode,bam, I'm playing somebody.

I wish in sf5 they would pair everybody up in a room, so nobody is waiting (unless a odd number is in there). So somebody is always playing somebody.

its great it does chip on all hits i like using it specially against vega,bison,dudley its easier to punish whiffs and keep them away with it the reason most pro cody players dont use it im guessing is cause he would loose his best anti-air normal and frame trap set ups and he drops it for just about anything

Item Box

dzoRrli.gif

oh god i thought i was done for

hitsugi

Where are you located? I'm in Los Angeles. I play a severely mediocre E.Ryu (with combos adapted for lag) and about half of the cast. I also play Guy.

vg260

Does anyone have the eguide version of the Brady Guide?

I'm interested for viewing on my phone on the go, but I'm not sure what's required. It says it's not a pdf, and is viewable via your browser. Is it essentially a login that allows access to viewing the guide on Brady games' site?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Unless all fighting games players move [to] Japan, we'll always have lag issues.

This, or at least until we get online better infrastructure everywhere. It's a lot easier for Japan and South Korea to do it, seeing as how they're much smaller countries.

I remember having zero issues with Soul Calibur IV online...until I moved back to the States, lol.

Coda

Most of my matches have been lag free other than the occasional shitty connection. I think a lot has to do with many people not having wired connections or downloading movies and shit in the background.

Where are you located? I'm in Los Angeles. I play a severely mediocre E.Ryu (with combos adapted for lag) and about half of the cast. I also play Guy.

feel free to add me on PSN (same as GAF). I'm in OC, and always looking for more GAFfers to play matches with.

Aquashark

Banned
someone in the Steam forums with a rare moment of sheer genius

I can feel it disconnecting me
I feel all the lag around me
I've been queing for this ranked match all my life it's my destiny
There's a packet loss deep inside of it
it's waiting to DDoS me
no matter when, no matter why, I know this latency will crash the game somehow

Unconnectable!

alstein

Yea, that's the other reason I don't play endless. I only have so much time and I don't want to wait around to play. On 360, I never have to wait to get a match it seems. I start arcade mode,bam, I'm playing somebody.

I wish in sf5 they would pair everybody up in a room, so nobody is waiting (unless a odd number is in there). So somebody is always playing somebody.

Arcsys is adding that to their games starting with Ultimax and Xrd.

alstein

I'm the same way, but I avoid ranked on PC for the sake of my sanity. I just get too salty when I lose to folks I feel like I shouldn't lose to, or when I run into 3-7 matchups.

Kaleinc

Banned
Most of my matches have been lag free other than the occasional shitty connection. I think a lot has to do with many people not having wired connections or downloading movies and shit in the background.
You either live in Japan or play Arcade mode with network cable unplugged.
Lag in steam version is real, solid gfwl online functionality confirms this.

kiaaa

You either live in Japan or play Arcade mode with network cable unplugged.
Lag in steam version is real, solid gfwl online functionality confirms this.

People say this, but when the steamworks version is working correctly, I've had WAY better matches than I ever did on GFWL. It's just that they're still working out the gamebreaking bugs (not that they should have made it to release).

Top Bottom