• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Marz

Yo, you went to GSR? Was that you on stream with the crazy Adon alt? I'm sad I couldn't go this time. I made it out last month though.

That was probably me or it could have been Scott. But yea have we ever met?

I'm a tall skinny black kid who plays Sagat .

I just beat Fragment super bad in ranked. Just totally destroyed him. I'm ready for Daigo (may he live forever).

Why would it poll for challengers if you already have a challenger and it's a 2 person max "room"? Does someone have source code or something?

I started playing you on ranked and then we disconnected:(

I dunno who spread that silly rumor about endless netcode being better than ranked. News flash, the same netcode is used for all matches. How the game pairs you up has no bearing on the game's communication.

They really need to fix this.

Do you not know of the netcode bug that is plaguing matchmaking right now? It's not a silly rumor and you should really stay informed before commenting on such things so as to not spread misinformation yourself. Ranked is affected far more than endless lobbies due to private lobbies being unable to be pinged and don't show up while matchmaking. Public endless lobbies are affected by the bug but since not as many people create them there are less lobbies being pinged and thus aren't as affected as the multitude of individual ranked lobbies are.

The netcode is still ass though. Getting rid of only the polling will not end all of the problems with the netcode. Only one of them. It'll essentially go back to ae2012 steamworks netcode which was still terrible.

Maybe not. If you remember they did release a netcode patch a few days before Ultra released and then with Ultra probably came more netcode tweaks, one that presumably created the matchmaking problems that lead to laggy matches, true, but perhaps there were other netcode adjustments that simply haven't shown because of the massive problem caused by the bug. Like I said in my previous post, private endless lobbies have been fine, and actually felt like pre-steamworks transition netcode while being in a 5 man lobby. That's part of my frustration, is that these endless private lobbies give me hope that the netcode has considerably improved, but the complete garbage that is ranked mode, which is what I play 90% of the time I go online, has tempted me to give up on the game. 360 version is looking better and better as the days pass...

I just beat Fragment super bad in ranked. Just totally destroyed him. I'm ready for Daigo (may he live forever).

I just beat Fragment to but I'm salty about it because the 3 times I went for hop kick after a blocked jump in he threw out a random DP each time to beat it. That's how you get to 3500k PP Fraggy? :p

That was probably me or it could have been Scott. But yea have we ever met?

I'm a tall skinny black kid who plays Sagat .
I wanna say I've seen you, if you're who I think you are and you came kinda late last month? But nah we haven't really met, I don't think.

I plan on making it to the next one though. Look for the short blonde guy with freckles and glasses that plays Ryu, I suppose :p I do lurk/post a lot in the 801 FGC group on facebook, if you can work that out, lol. And if you know Cody I'll probably be coming with him.

Marz

I wanna say I've seen you, if you're who I think you are and you came kinda late last month? But nah we haven't really met, I don't think.

I plan on making it to the next one though. Look for the short blonde guy with freckles and glasses that plays Ryu, I suppose :p I do lurk/post a lot in the 801 FGC group on facebook, if you can work that out, lol. And if you know Cody I'll probably be coming with him.

Yea that was definitely me. I don't really know Cody I just know he plays THawk.

I'll remember to say hi then next month:)

Your video is private.

And how do you get the Alternate 1's for the new characters on PC? Apparently you need a SF X T save, but do you have to actually own SF X T to get them?
You need a sfxt save and a pre patched .exe of ultra. (They patched out the costumes for the GFWL version)
If Google fails you pm me.

Anyway put the sfxt save into the same capcom folder as your usf4 save.

Backup your current ultra .exe and replace it with the old one. Disconnect from the Internet and load up prepatched usf4.

It should detect the sfxt save and show an unlock message. Let it save and close the game.

Replace the pre patched .exe to the new one and check if it's still unlocked.

Go online, and feel good for sticking it to the man.

(Just to clarify, capcom locked legit owners of sfxt out of the free dlc because of an "exploit". If you didn't have a save on your machine before the latest patch you are locked out. If you have a day one unpatched copy of ultra you can still claim the free dlc.)

Blah, finally able to play this game tonight. Pre ordered it ages ago but have been away for work the whole time since release(australia). Complete noob at fighters here and thus do not have a main etc. Guessing I should just be playing against A.I for a while instead of jumping online; would just get completely dominated for a very long time?

Trying to decide if I want the costumes too. I think I do.

EDIT: Am I missing something or is there really no Trials for the new characters?

Blah, finally able to play this game tonight. Pre ordered it ages ago but have been away for work the whole time since release(australia). Complete noob at fighters here and thus do not have a main etc. Guessing I should just be playing against A.I for a while instead of jumping online; would just get completely dominated for a very long time?

EDIT: Am I missing something or is there really no Trials for the new characters?

I find just learning a characters moveset in training for 10 minutes then jumping straight into ranked is the best method to learn anyone.

No mind games playing against AI, plus the AI is bullshit and cheats, I swear.

Yes you'll lose a bunch online, but seeing how you are beat and adapting to it is the best way to learn, imo.

alstein

Is Rolento's forward+forward (ground pogo) airborne on first frame?

Wondering if it's ghetto Rose close forward.

Having some fun trolling with Rolento, though he seems to get blown up hard by a few chars.

colinp

Banned

No trials yet, and the ones that are there are based on the original version of SF4. Capcom will eventually update them but nobody knows when.

Speaking as someone who only got into SF4 and fighting games last month, I think it's great playing the AI at first. I played Arcade mode on very easy and would slowly bump it up as I got better. I noticed that the third match up for every difficulty level was always more difficult than the first two, so once I could always beat that one without trouble I would move on to the next difficulty level (I'm on hard right now but will probably move up to very hard tomorrow).

You'll definitely get dominated online, but that's ok. It's part of the learning process. By all means play online, but don't be afraid to play the AI, too. It can get pretty disheartening I think at first, especially if you just jump online right away. Definitely also spend time in training mode practicing your moves. Ten of each move from each side of the screen is a common practice.

There never has been. Super was the last game for trials. AE newcomers and Ultra never get trials.

It's Capcom.

Onemic

Do you not know of the netcode bug that is plaguing matchmaking right now? It's not a silly rumor and you should really stay informed before commenting on such things so as to not spread misinformation yourself. Ranked is affected far more than endless lobbies due to private lobbies being unable to be pinged and don't show up while matchmaking. Public endless lobbies are affected by the bug but since not as many people create them there are less lobbies being pinged and thus aren't as affected as the multitude of individual ranked lobbies are.

Maybe not. If you remember they did release a netcode patch a few days before Ultra released and then with Ultra probably came more netcode tweaks, one that presumably created the matchmaking problems that lead to laggy matches, true, but perhaps there were other netcode adjustments that simply haven't shown because of the massive problem caused by the bug. Like I said in my previous post, private endless lobbies have been fine, and actually felt like pre-steamworks transition netcode while being in a 5 man lobby. That's part of my frustration, is that these endless private lobbies give me hope that the netcode has considerably improved, but the complete garbage that is ranked mode, which is what I play 90% of the time I go online, has tempted me to give up on the game. 360 version is looking better and better as the days pass...

Private endless to me still feels like post-steamworks netcode. I mean I get crazy lag facing someone that lives only 30 minutes from me. The pinging is not the only issue, and you've been lucky if your experience in private matches have felt like that so far. Ranked and endless have had the exact same issues for me on my end and like I said, I've actually had better matches in ranked than in private lobbies so far.

xCobalt

Is Rolento's forward+forward (ground pogo) airborne on first frame?

Wondering if it's ghetto Rose close forward.

Having some fun trolling with Rolento, though he seems to get blown up hard by a few chars.

It's airborne on like frame 4 or 5 but its throw invulnerable from frame 1 and can crush lows.

ppor

Are there videos online that help with improving joystick execution for noobs like me?

Half the time, I can't even complete Rolento's 3 hit rekka in training mode. :(

Nyoro SF

I guess what I'm trying to say overall is, it still feels like trash whether I play Endless 1v1 or Ranked. If there's some sort of improvement during the endless matches, I'm sure not seeing it in Hitch City, Population 2. See onemic's note here:

Private endless to me still feels like post-steamworks netcode. I mean I get crazy lag facing someone that lives only 30 minutes from me. The pinging is not the only issue, and you've been lucky if your experience in private matches have felt like that so far. Ranked and endless have had the exact same issues for me on my end and like I said, I've actually had better matches in ranked than in private lobbies so far.

Sort of what I'm saying, people who are saying "Endless > Ranked" is like trying to fight on top of a manure stack. It's almost misinformation by itself to say a piece of crap is higher than another. Polling or whatever, Capcom needs to get on and do a universal hard look at their netcode. Don't get other peoples' hopes up by saying Endless is better than Ranked (like mine).

Are there videos online that help with improving joystick execution for noobs like me?

What I can tell is you just always do the input slowly first to make sure you're hitting all the points required. Most of the motions in SF4 are not as fast as you may think.

Turn on inputs in training mode and make sure you're completing your motions. You should see all the required inputs. I don't play Rolento but I'm fairly certain you can mash out his rekkas after you land the first one.

Learn number pad notation now, it will save your life later.

hitsugi

Can anyone critique my Guy?

I want to know what I did wrong in this match and what I could have done to win it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbx6rmVmtsI

At a glance, I can point out a few things:

I'll echo the sentiments of seeing too many unsafe slides, and unsafe moves in general (too many random kyakus which is a pitfall of Guy players everywhere - even though you hit him with some of yours). I would say there's too much reliance on specials and Guy's normals weren't being utilized in that match.

Check people more by using far s.MP and s.MK, and unless you plan to follow up the LP Hozanto with an EX one (near corner) or FADC, you should finish combos with run->slide (or if you're feeling yourself, run into the overhead kick or run->stop mix ups). Get comfortable poking with c.LK and get the c.LK -> s.MP link down.

Guy can create frame traps with close s.MP and MK, both which can be comboed after. Guy's c.HP is also a good one to throw out in between close pokes and combos into far s.MP.

Guy's U2 has a lot of applications - one being armored setups by canceling EX run into it to anti-air, punish unsafe strings, or surprise people on wake-up; the other would be option selects or direct punishes. Outside of that, I would never try to land it on someone - it's just too slow. I suppose there are red focus set ups for it as well but I think it's too much meter being spent for Guy. Guy's U1 has improved so much that it's my go-to in most matches.

cHaotix8

I think I'm in love...with Dudley. Dude has got some serious punch. Chaotix, or any other Dudley player, how does Dud approach the Poison matchup with her fireballs? Specifically her H fireball?

I haven't played this matchup too much but I've never really lost it by just playing patient. Walk forward and block just to get a read on their pattern. Once I get meter I can use ex duck to go through a fireball and then start pressure. Or guess jump and then I'm in, lol.

Don't mast out the Rekka. Time them properly. Try Fei-long's rekka before Rolento.

Coda

Finally got USFIV working on my PC after some weird black screen to desktop startup glitch. I reinstalled it two times without any avail and the third re-install worked for some reason.

That's very unfortunate, I could only speak to my experiences but I truly did feel that my private lobbies were almost perfect experiences.But that can also be easily attributed to just how garbage my ranked experience has been.

ShinMaruku

Now I have built to a 4 character stable. Now to get solid.
Juri,Cammy,Evil Ryu and Oni. Why oh why did I pick FADC heavy characters, I can't even fucking FADC! :(

Oh well. Life goes on.

xCobalt

Nice video. I wanna point out that its not possible to cancel from a chain, which is what you're trying to do with the jabs and shorts. However, with his new 3 frame jab, gouken is able to link his jabs and cancel into tatsu.

Also, you can also connect tatsu > fadc > ultra rather consistently if you add some normals before hand. If you're point blank and cancel from a single normal, it most likely will not work. Close mp, cr.hp, tatsu should space gouken out further.

Trickster

Ugh, how the fuck am I supposed to get in on a Juri or Gouken player as a T.hawk, when they can just completely zone me out with those fucking air fireballs`? And please don't say "play patiently" cause I don't think I could play more patiently unless I simply held down-back the entire match

Ugh, how the fuck am I supposed to get in on a Juri or Gouken player as a T.hawk, when they can just completely zone me out with those fucking air fireballs`? And please don't say "play patiently" cause I don't think I could play more patiently unless I simply held down-back the entire match

Crouching HK goes under Juri's fireballs. Gouken, you just have to maul him. Build meter with light Spires in the meantime if they keep running.

kiaaa

you need to move forward on the ground AND through the air. they aren't great matchups by any means, but you have options.

Trickster

Crouching HK goes under Juri's fireballs. Gouken, you just have to maul him. Build meter with light Spires in the meantime if they keep running.

Oh they do lol.

you need to move forward on the ground AND through the air. they aren't great matchups by any means, but you have options.

Going in by jumping just seems close to impossible though. By the time I am able to react to a normal straight fireball, they will be able to hit my in the air with an air fireball. Maybe I'm just to slow inexperienced in getting in on those 2?

This might not be helpful, but as a Blanka player I have gotten quite good at absorbing projectiles and just hanging back. I am fine with the free ultra meter. Most players will get annoyed eventually and approach. If they don't, I have U2 to punish a fireball eventually, but that is where my suggestion might be less helpful to you.

Ranked on PC is staggeringly bad. How people are grinding this out is beyond me; it's not fun.

I grinded my way to over 5k bp with Evil Ryu. It was such a sad and depressing experience lol. I got lost in the grind where I would tell myself I'll quit after reaching a certain point but then I'll lose a ton of points to bad players because of lag and try to make up for it. I'm going to try and stick to endless from now on. The lag is horrid and happens too often.

EDIT: Oops, meant BP. I've never gotten anywhere close to 5k pp on any version.

mbpm1

Fun things, predicting a brainless butt splash on wake up from Honda and psychic air-grabbing him on the way up.

Less fun things, still losing to that Honda butt splash spam -_-

I use hugo and do alright.

My sympathy is retracted in only your case. =P

He seems to have a hard time with footsies, even with someone as bad as me. All i end up doing usually is whiff punishing buttons and using far pokes.

I've been using Hugo for fun. It's incredible how bad some of his matchups are, but since I'm not any good at him I can't bother to be upset over them.

I can't even get endless games on PC. Nobody joins and then I just don't want to play.

Village

I've been using Hugo for fun. It's incredible how bad some of his matchups are, but since I'm not any good at him I can't bother to be upset over them.

I can't even get endless games on PC. Nobody joins and then I just don't want to play.

I will play with ya if you want

don't expect some tournament caliber dude though.

Coda

I don't really get why people say he's bad. I mean yeah he can be caged with many characters and can't get in on them but that's why he's a classic grappler with insane damage. Mike Ross even bodied the number 2 Cody on XBL on the last Excellent Adventures episode.

hitsugi

I grinded my way to over 5k pp with Evil Ryu. It was such a sad and depressing experience lol. I got lost in the grind where I would tell myself I'll quit after reaching a certain point but then I'll lose a ton of points to bad players because of lag and try to make up for it. I'm going to try and stick to endless from now on. The lag is horrid and happens too often.

You're a madman. I don't know what the difference is but ranked is just so bad D: at least I've run into (a few) people who back off and wait when the spikes get out of hand.

Grakl

How do you set up games on Steam? Do you need to add people to your friends list first? Is there a Steam group everyone's using?

I kinda feel like playing some private Endless games, so if anyone wants to play, this is my Steam account: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198043646599/ . Let me know before you add me so I know who you are lol.

Added you as a friend -- once you add me, I'll invite you to a private endless lobby.

Ribbon

Do your rekkas as half circle inputs instead of quarter circle. It helped me when learning fei long.

Top Bottom