• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

CO_Andy

Woohoo! I beat Kadey!
like 1 out of 10 games :(

Incidentally she's the first Bison i've ever beaten with Sim. Not sure if that means anything.

Sorry about the lag btw. Was too lazy to drag out a long ethernet cable.

hitsugi

Sorry about the abrupt take off - I am apparently very late for something and was missing the messages behind our game

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Woohoo! I beat Kadey!
like 1 out of 10 games :(

Incidentally she's the first Bison i've ever beaten with Sim. Not sure if that means anything.

Sorry about the lag btw. Was too lazy to drag out a long ethernet cable.

Pick him again next time. I'll pick Bison again.

Sorry about the abrupt take off - I am apparently very late for something and was missing the messages behind our game

If you're going to pull something like that ever again, don't bother coming into my lobby.

hitsugi

Pick him again next time. I'll pick Bison again.

If you're going to pull something like that ever again, don't bother coming into my lobby.

Pull what? Hop on for a few and leave when real life calls? Normally I would say "last," but you don't respond to steam chat so I had no other way to tell you.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Found Kadey online on Steam, but the matches were...brutal. And by that I mean the lag. Have to note that this was the first time I joined an 8-man lobby, although it was just 2-4 people when we played. I usually stick to 2-4 man lobbies. Wonder if that makes a difference?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
All I want for Christmas is better netcode.

No it does not matter how many people. If it wants to go to crap, it will go to crap. Bob and I have perfect near offline connection on Live and we are barely connecting here. There are a few people here I have good connections with and many I do not. It just seems random. I think it's funny I have a better connection to somebody in Puerto Rico than I do someone who is only hours away from me.

Our lobby was private Andy. Then I made a public one when everybody left.

CO_Andy

Found Kadey online on Steam, but the matches were...brutal. And by that I mean the lag. Have to note that this was the first time I joined an 8-man lobby, although it was just 2-4 people when we played. I usually stick to 2-4 man lobbies. Wonder if that makes a difference?
I thought it might have been my wireless connection when i played her an hour ago, but it could be that her lobby wasn't private. Maybe.

Kadey said:
Our lobby was private Andy. Then I made a public one when everybody left.
I see. That was my first time taking Ultra online, so i don't know how much of that lag was me.

Coda

I'd much rather have some normal lag than the kind implented in SFxT. 3rd strike was really good though, day GGPO.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I really miss GFWL. It was so much easier to see who's on and such through xbox.com. This is one instance where Steam isn't as intuitive.

hitsugi

Well with steam you need to either pay attention to notifications or constantly pull up the social UI in between matches to see what's up.

Duress

So when I go to practice with fight requests on, should I even bother putting net compensation, or does it make it even worse; with the lag already? -_-

Trickster

Anytips on when to use Condor Spire with T.hawk? High level players seem to spam the light version of it all the time and it works for some reason. But whenever I use it, it seems to lose out agains't so many attacks, and due to the relatively slow startup even after the buff, I often just get hit out of it before it "activates". So I often end up just using normal attacks instead.

alstein

Anytips on when to use Condor Spire with T.hawk? High level players seem to spam the light version of it all the time and it works for some reason. But whenever I use it, it seems to lose out agains't so many attacks, and due to the relatively slow startup even after the buff, I often just get hit out of it before it "activates". So I often end up just using normal attacks instead.

It's a decent meter building tool at far screen, though I prefer to jab DP instead.

It's good to get in if they're not focusing randomly, maybe buffer it off a low forward or low short (can combo on CH). Dangerous against other grapplers though when they have Ultra.

It's good but not braindead, but that's Hawk in general- the only thing easy about Hawk is the fact he relies less on links than most of the cast.

It does on PC, it does on console, and it does on previous versions. It just seems worse now since the Ultra netcode is a bit jankier. This is why I stick to 2 or 3 man lobbies these days.

Hawk/Hugo matches are fun, just had a 25-game set with someone where it was pretty much straight altering wins/losses, only 1 2-game streak for each of us. Really fun but frustrating.

Lyte Edge

It does on PC, it does on console, and it does on previous versions. It just seems worse now since the Ultra netcode is a bit jankier. This is why I stick to 2 or 3 man lobbies these days.

I usually do small lobbies in pretty much every game- I'm interested in playing matches, not sitting there waiting and waiting and waiting to play again when I lose or want to skip a turn.

Lyte Edge

OK, so haven't asked this yet- How's the opponent roster looking for everyone? Are there characters that you just don't come across much in online?

For me, it's been a pretty good mix of players, however I rarely seem to come across Decapre, Makoto, Gen, Dan, Juri, Dhalsim, Rolento, Fuerte, and oddly enough...Ryu, which I assume is because a lot of people have switched to Evil Ryu. Juri and Sim are probably the rarest.

Evil Ryu is overhyped. He's fun and he's good, but he's not an upgrade from Ryu and never will be. Anybody who thinks so and switches without being prepared to learn some new things will be disappointed by their stuffed c.mk's and dropped combos.

Venfayth

I've been doing purely endless matches on PC, making my own lobby every time. Have had almost 0 issues with netcode outside of regularly laggy dudes. Haven't even tried ranked again yet, though.

OK, so haven't asked this yet- How's the opponent roster looking for everyone? Are there characters that you just don't come across much in online?

For me, it's been a pretty good mix of players, however I rarely seem to come across Decapre, Makoto, Gen, Dan, Juri, Dhalsim, Rolento, Fuerte, and oddly enough...Ryu, which I assume is because a lot of people have switched to Evil Ryu. Juri and Sim are probably the rarest.

Juri is my main, but I hate playing her online. Not because she's necessarily bad online, I just get too serious mentally when I play and that's usually not how I want to be when I'm relaxing after work. If you ever want to play sometime on PC, shoot me a PM and we can endless for a bit.

hitsugi

Evil Ryu is overhyped. He's fun and he's good, but he's not an upgrade from Ryu and never will be. Anybody who thinks so and switches without being prepared to learn some new things will be disappointed by their stuffed c.mk's and dropped combos.

I agree with this. Evil Ryu is indeed fun (when landing that ONE series of combos) but his meta game is even more boring than Ryu's. Despite the increase in health, I don't think he's better than he was in AE2012.

A lot of people seem to think he's some kind of magical replacement for Ryu in Ultra, but it's definitely not the case. They get stuck thinking they're going to start landing Sako combos (not even going to talk about online players) but the reality is that even Sako drops them - often (nearly 60% of the time at EVO) and the risk/reward factor is way off unless your execution is high enough.

Daigo has adapted a more conservative style for Evil Ryu which works well (in Japan), meanwhile, Sako has the only Evil Ryu I'd consider entertaining; everyone else just drops the same combo at the same part, over and over..

vg260

I can't do rekkas to save my life. I don't button spaz on any other move nearly this bad. I don't know what it is. Lost so many matches the last few days do to dropping them at the first hit. I guess i just need to hit training.

Also, what the easiest Poison jump-in combo? I can't even land one when I guess right on jumps. Her air jump normals seem wonky to me if not used for air-to-air. Seems like it should be easier, but I'm missing it.

Myn

I've ran into Hugo, Vega, Juri, and Gouken a lot on ranked. On Endless, it's just more Gouken for some reason, and sometimes Evil Ryu. I've never come across Guy, Chun, Yun, Yang, M. Bison, T. Hawk (those stick out to me the most). I'd assume I would've been running into these characters online because they've been hyped up by Combofiend and the community for being stronger, but I just run into players who use the characters I stated earlier and abuse the moves that are stronger in an online environment. Funny enough I don't see any shotos or Sagat, which I used to run into 24/7 when I tried playing on GFWL a year ago.

Thanks to this thread though I was able to play against Ibuki, Elena, Dudley, Sagat, T. Hawk, Gouken, Balrog, Gen, Evil Ryu, etc. all played at good level.

I can't do rekkas to save my life. I don't button spaz on any other move nearly this bad. I don't know what it is. Lost so many matches the last few days do to dropping them at the first hit. I guess i just need to hit training.

For stick I just piano qcb + HP, MP, LP after the first rekka so the additional ones have an easier time coming out.

stn

RE: Evil Ryu

To be honest, I don't completely get what makes him so good now. I do think he's good but I also think he's largely the same character. Let's pretend he had solid damage but not high accessibility to it, then in the next version his damage was upgraded to really good. He would still have the same accessibility issues, no? I guess I prioritize tools and utility over damage when I rate characters. The major change I see with him is his ability to combo into red focus. I'd agree he's top 10 since Akuma got visibly weaker in terms of shotos, but I need some insight.

What makes him so different?

vg260

For stick I just piano qcb + HP, MP, LP after the first rekka so the additional ones have an easier time coming out.

Thanks. I think my problem is after the first quarter circle I just mash the buttons in spaz mode and flub the 2nd and 3rd joysticks motions.

I'm thinking of going back to a pad for certain non-charge characters.

cackhyena

I don't have a clue. Solid combo into red focus and a little bit of a health bump, I guess. I still find Ryu more appealing in terms of damage and options/ease of combos. I feel like there is no bad shoto beyond Dan. They can all do work. Shit, in the right hands, Dan's even scary.

Marz

I agree with this. Evil Ryu is indeed fun (when landing that ONE series of combos) but his meta game is even more boring than Ryu's. Despite the increase in health, I don't think he's better than he was in AE2012.

A lot of people seem to think he's some kind of magical replacement for Ryu in Ultra, but it's definitely not the case. They get stuck thinking they're going to start landing Sako combos (not even going to talk about online players) but the reality is that even Sako drops them - often (nearly 60% of the time at EVO) and the risk/reward factor is way off unless your execution is high enough.

Daigo has adapted a more conservative style for Evil Ryu which works well (in Japan), meanwhile, Sako has the only Evil Ryu I'd consider entertaining; everyone else just drops the same combo at the same part, over and over..

RE: Evil Ryu

To be honest, I don't completely get what makes him so good now. I do think he's good but I also think he's largely the same character. Let's pretend he had solid damage but not high accessibility to it, then in the next version his damage was upgraded to really good. He would still have the same accessibility issues, no? I guess I prioritize tools and utility over damage when I rate characters. The major change I see with him is his ability to combo into red focus. I'd agree he's top 10 since Akuma got visibly weaker in terms of shotos, but I need some insight.

What makes him so different?

I don't have a clue. Solid combo into red focus and a little bit of a health bump, I guess. I still find Ryu more appealing in terms of damage and options/ease of combos. I feel like there is no bad shoto beyond Dan. They can all do work. Shit, in the right hands, Dan's even scary.

What makes him good is the fact that he has access to the shoto moveset with all of the tools that come with it and insane damage output at any point in the match.

DWU hurt his offense, but it helps him in most of his bad matchups on defense. Since vortex is not as powerful in this version its becomeing more of a footsie based game and if he has 2 bars Evil Ryu is very scary in the mid range.

So you have a character that's scary in the long,mid, and close range and is hard to approach.

Usually characters that can get that kind of damage off of pokes don't have uppercut/fireball to go along with it. Just the combined fact that he has cr.mk plus a long range footsie tool and a godlike anti air makes him a powerhouse.

Top it off he even has a mixup game with a dive kick, tatsu, low crusher, kara throw....you name it he's got it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Thanks. I think my problem is after the first quarter circle I just mash the buttons in spaz mode and flub the 2nd and 3rd joysticks motions.

I'm thinking of going back to a pad for certain non-charge characters.

Easiest way to get rekkas down is to buffer whatever normal you're canceling into a rekka as one command. So for example with poison you would input low forward qcb +p as a 'single' command. The follow up confirms can be treated as a 'single' qcb+p x2 input once you learn the timing. Spend a few minutes in the lab and you'll get it down.

RyudBoy

Been playing on PC in the last couple of days, and the lag is much worse than it is on 360. At least with the latter, if you match up against a player with a bad connection, it's (for the most part) consistent throughout the match, and you can adapt to it. On PC, the delay comes and goes during the match almost every time. To make matters worse, people who appear to have green bars are still laggy once the game begins. Not every person I've played against has been a bad experience though, but they've been very few so far. Not gonna give up on it just yet, but I might just end up going back to the 360 version once I get fed up. :(

Onemic

I can't believe Im saying this, but I'd actually put PSN over PC right now in terms of online. Steamworks is that bad right now.

Top Bottom