• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

I meant Ryu's ex fireball which is significantly better.

I know, that's why I left it out. Evil Ryu's EX fireball has its advantages to. Being able to hit confirm low forward > EX fireball into U2(requires 3 bars) does huge damage. Far more than Ryu's 3 bar equivalent in the same situation. But I agree that having that knockdown makes it better overall.

But even without DWU and the DP, FADC nerf I still think Evil Ryu would still be a top 10 character and better overall than Ryu. The sweep buff would have been a even bigger deal if their was no DWU. He would keep all his guaranteed fake cross up/unblockable set ups(he has at least one set up for nearly the entire cast) and now he gains tatsu > sweep against most of the cast. So if he hit confirms his low forward into big damage and ends it in a sweep, one wrong guess and you're stunned already.

On top of it he has teleport.

It's not a good teleport but that doesn't stop me from using it. You just have to use it in the right situation. When someone is going for ambiguous set ups, obviously you're more prone to getting punished if you use it then. But if someone just walks up to you to do a meaty or goes for a obvious cross up, it's a decent escape method. I don't know why more Evil Ryu's are more willing to use it in situations like these. I know you can't spam it, but show the threat of it at least.

What are Poison's best anti-airs? Using cr.HP but there are some situations I'm not a fan of it (deep jump-ins, reacting to low jumps, etc) and I hate spending meter on EX DP

hypernima

Banned
What are Poison's best anti-airs? Using cr.HP but there are some situations I'm not a fan of it (deep jump-ins, reacting to low jumps, etc) and I hate spending meter on EX DP

I would say cr.hp is the go to aa. but a well timed st.hk can work, st.mp and sometimes but rarely st.mk

vg260

Sooooo... How 'bout them DJ's?

Actually, I was going to ask, is he really that bad, or is it a lot of hyperbole?

Maybe I just don't know the matchup at all, but the players I've seen make him seem competent. Haven't the tiers tightened up overall this iteration?

Actually, I was going to ask, is he really that bad, or is it a lot of hyperbole?

Maybe I just don't know the matchup at all, but the players I've seen make him seem competent. Haven't the tiers tightened up overall this iteration?

He was fucking terrible in 2012 and they managed to nerf his one most significant footsie tool while giving him an arrangement of other significant nerfs. All the while Capcom already knew that he was bottom 3 in the last iteration.

"Trying to make every character viable" they said

But hey, lets give great buffs to Yun/Viper/Ibuki because those characters were always trash amirite?

Renekton

On top of it he has teleport.
That teleport is godawful tho, it has to be a good psych-out to get away clean.

He was fucking terrible in 2012 and they managed to nerf his one most significant footsie tool while giving him an arrangement of other significant nerfs. All the while Capcom already knew that he was bottom 3 in the last iteration.

"Trying to make every character viable" they said

But hey, lets give great buffs to Yun/Viper/Ibuki because those characters were always trash amirite?
Well Combo did say they are trying to improve DJ.

Yaven

Banned
Now that it's been a while... Have you guys learned of any ways to get around the delayed wakeup mechanic? Any ways to somewhat counter it?

hitsugi

cr.HP and far s.HK are pretty much it for her.. you're not gonna react to anything and beat it out with her unless it's really obvious. Your goal is to make them jump into fireballs and go for trade juggles after if you have to D:

Feeroper

Hey everyone,

I have the PS3 version of Super SF4 and got the digital upgrade to AE when it came out and the ltra upgrade back in June.

I was wondering if there is any added benefit to getting the disc based version of Ultra as it is supposed to be the final version? Having it all on disc, will i be saving hard drive space by removing the digital upgrade data from my other copy?

Also, I know no one knows, but do you think this is going to get a PS4 port at some point?

Onemic

Though this isn't saying much due to sample size, but I just did 6 matches in ranked with the beta patch. All have been great with no lag. 2 included yellow bars from Mexico and Venezuela and both were surprinsgly playable with no spikes.

Trickster

It's open testing for a modification to the netcode. Titanfall had this option for a different form of matchmaking. I guess maybe you just have a particular sense of humor.

How many games need to have open testing for network patches post release because the netcode the developer shipped was basically broken?

It's funny in a sad way

How many games need to have open testing for network patches post release because the netcode the developer shipped was basically broken?
Well I just mentioned one that happened in the past few months. Rolling out modifications for public testing before deploying it to everyone isn't really unheard of in any way.

alstein

Though this isn't saying much due to sample size, but I just did 6 matches in ranked with the beta patch. All have been great with no lag. 2 included yellow bars from Mexico and Venezuela and both were surprinsgly playable with no spikes.

Matches my experience- 8 matches, one brief lag spike that could have been something else, matchmaking improved.

I have some cross-coast friends, may play them later.

I don't expect international play to be good on SFIV netcode period. This isn't GGPO.

I don't care how embarasing it is, or how it shouldn't be this way- I just want it to work as well as possible, so I'm not going to wag my finger when the PC porters are obviously doing more than what Capcom would have.

galvatron

That's about it. It may affect your BP/PP too but I'm not 100% on that. If you're just starting it's no biggie. Trying to find these codes and put them in yourself would take hundreds of hours and you might not even get some then.

I also noticed EX titles. There's even Capcom staff titles.

Yeah, thanks for that file.

After the last batch of codes dropped I was seriously hoping for cheap DLC that would just unlock them all for me. My 360 and PS3 versions will just be title-less since I can't be bothered to keep typing them.

Now that it's been a while... Have you guys learned of any ways to get around the delayed wakeup mechanic? Any ways to somewhat counter it?

Hawk can just Spire over the opponent and go for tick-throw setups instead of a vortex. That's what I've been doing when I notice the opponent is going for DWU often.

Game was broken before August 8rd, the transition from GFWL broke the net code and then Ultra broke it even more, they have know this game was broken for months and did nothing to fix it, it's not until Ultra totally broke it they are trying to fix it...

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Game was broken before August 8rd, the transition from GFWL broke the net code and then Ultra broke it even more, they have know this game was broken for months and did nothing to fix it, it's not until Ultra totally broke it they are trying to fix it...

You sound upset. There there. Why not purchase a summer costume for your favorite street fighter?

Tesseract

Banned
more patches are to come, bacon and co will get steamworks ultra up to 360 standards before they quit.

we may even get a few pc only surprises.

Man. It really is true what they say about sarcasm and the internet isn't it?
That and a lot of people take shit way too seriously. It's a bad combination for sure.

Gonna test out the netcode patch here in a bit, it sounds like an improvement already though.
more patches are to come, bacon and co will get steamworks ultra up to 360 standards before they quit.

we may even get a few pc only surprises.
I want actual ping numbers on one hand, but on the other I think I get like 90-100 ping to a lot of people farther out from me, like east coast/overseas. So that might not be so great for getting matches.

ArjanN

It's pretty funny that they need to have open testing for a game that was already released

The PC version was the only version to completely change the multiplayer from GFWL to Steamworks.

It's only been a couple of months since that changed, and in that time whoever the developer for PC is, was most likely busy with the Ultra stuff and other projects. Not to mention they did patch the PC version a couple of times in the mean time for other stuff like the mic problems.

IMO this is actually really good support.

Vice

I played about 7 games. All the U.S. connections were good and I managed to play against a couple of Chilean players and the connections were decent.

ZeroCDR

Opting in as soon as I get home. QLOC did an amazing job addressing most of the problems with RE4 HD on PC, sounds like they're right on track here too.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
TIL Some people actually do use the ignore feature on gaf and for some of the most minor jokes.

On topic
Bout to try the beta, liking the good impressions so far

Tesseract

Banned
That and a lot of people take shit way too seriously. It's a bad combination for sure.

Gonna test out the netcode patch here in a bit, it sounds like an improvement already though.
I want actual ping numbers on one hand, but on the other I think I get like 90-100 ping to a lot of people farther out from me, like east coast/overseas. So that might not be so great for getting matches.

i think a lot of east and west coasters don't realize that sometimes foreign flag pings can be equal to domestic. maybe qloc can find a way to address this, but it might require a new interface.

i think a lot of east and west coasters don't realize that sometimes foreign flag pings can be equal to domestic. maybe qloc can find a way to address this, but it might require a new interface.
Just have it be an option to either show the connection bars like now, or replace them with actual (still color coded) ping numbers? I dunno. But Yeah, I haven't noticed a huge difference playing with European players compared to east coasters. It all depends on their connection.

Tesseract

Banned
Just have it be an option to either show the connection bars like now, or replace them with actual (still color coded) ping numbers? I dunno. But Yeah, I haven't noticed a huge difference playing with European players compared to east coasters. It all depends on their connection.

word, here's hoping

alstein

That unlocker changed my BP/PP and going into MP didn't fix it to 0/0 where I want it

Even worse, it makes me a Blanka main.

Gambit61

It looks like Capcom games are great at making people mad at each other. Just check out the last maximillian_dood powerstone/rival schools stream lmao.

On topic: The beta sounds like they figured out the netcode issues. I'll upgrade on steam once it's finalized.

Nikashi

Banned
North America should be a single region. I shouldn't be flagged as 'international' to players in Cali and Seattle, since they're further away from frigging Florida and New York from say, ME.

Top Bottom