• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

kcxiv

so far this pc beta patch has been a godsend. Running smooth maybe smoother then the 360 version. At least 3 matches in.

why oh why does guy's normals still whiff at close range *sigh*....

First thing I noticed when I used him..

I really don't know if learning Guy is worth it tbh. I don't see him having any specific advantages over any character and the only reason people might use him is because they like ninjas

kirblar

First thing I noticed when I used him..

I really don't know if learning Guy is worth it tbh. I don't see him having any specific advantages over any character and the only reason people might use him is because they like ninjas
He and Cody are both in the "would have to be straight-up busted to be worth it" category, imo.

Tesseract

Banned
<3 makoto's new alt

b86wzjk.jpg

hitsugi

why oh why does guy's normals still whiff at close range *sigh*....

Because they "fix" this shit with every iteration and now we end up with things like the 2nd hit of MP->HP chain hitting on crouching characters from half a screen away (great) meanwhile the most basic stuff is still screwed up with him.

vg260

He and Cody are both in the "would have to be straight-up busted to be worth it" category, imo.

I like Cody as a character enough to use him over similar/better characters. That usually is how I decide, moreso than who does what best as long as I like their moveset enough.

However with Poison, I'm just not digging her moveset, despite the character design being fun. Gonna try to get her to 5000 BP then try someone else. I'm never gonna master a character, so I'm enjoying jumping around.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Pretty pumped to try the beta if the connections are really nicer. Loving Ultra so far, I want to play more characters but I'm too hooked on Dudley to take the time to practice others.

LakeEarth

North America should be a single region. I shouldn't be flagged as 'international' to players in Cali and Seattle, since they're further away from frigging Florida and New York from say, ME.

5 years of SF4 and multiple iterations, and they still never fixed this.

Shiina

Pretty pumped to try the beta if the connections are really nicer. Loving Ultra so far, I want to play more characters but I'm too hooked on Dudley to take the time to practice others.

From my experience so far nothing has changed. Some matches are still free of lag and some are still just as laggy as before.

kcxiv

From my experience so far nothing has changed. Some matches are still free of lag and some are still just as laggy as before.

i just finished my 10th match and not 1 laggy! Right now i can say its better then the 360 Of course that could change as more people get on.

Edit-
Ok, im done testing for now. 12 ranked matches and 1 had lag for like 3 seconds and that was it. the rest were pretty flawless. I did notice that the framerate of the game drops in windowed mode. Went back to full screen and there was no issues.

I need sleep this 3 hours crap isnt cutting it lol

vg260

Looks like mixed reports on the Steam forums.

I'm afraid to get too optimistic just yet. Based on the patch notes it looks like they just tackled the issues of clients never stopping pinging eachother, and not really the underlying net code itself. Seems like in general it took a hit across all version for Ultra and there may not be much they can do for that.

alstein

Looks like mixed reports on the Steam forums.

I'm afraid to get too optimistic just yet. Based on the patch notes it looks like they just tackled the issues of clients never stopping pinging eachother, and not really the underlying net code itself. Seems like in general it took a hit across all version for Ultra and there may not be much they can do for that.

I think it does help, but it can't magically make a terrible connection good. Some connects are just terrible because they're downloading while playing, or micspamming, or just too many folks in a lobby.

BTW deleting your save then playing once, then uploading to the Steam cloud resets your BP/PP. So I'm no longer a Blanka main.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I cannot wait for the new custom PC alts. Here's a sample.

iBM4CJDri8eyZ.jpg

If I had the time and know it all I would make a Floe Rufus.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think it does help, but it can't magically make a terrible connection good. Some connects are just terrible because they're downloading while playing, or micspamming, or just too many folks in a lobby.

BTW deleting your save then playing once, then uploading to the Steam cloud resets your BP/PP. So I'm no longer a Blanka main.

How do you delete your save? I'm actually trying to get my points to zero too.

Coda

I cannot wait for the new custom PC alts. Here's a sample.

iBM4CJDri8eyZ.jpg

If I had the time and know it all I would make a Floe Rufus.

Nice! Do you know if character skin mods are easy to install in Ultra? I just got a Leifang alternate for Juri and I want to install it.

alstein

How do you delete your save? I'm actually trying to get my points to zero too.

Instead of replacing the file, delete it, turn Steam sync off (unsure if this is needed), play game and quit, then turn steam sync back on and upload to cloud.

After a while (it took about 10 mins for some reason)- Your file starts all over. You have to unlock stuff all over again though.

Played about half a dozen games and it's still pretty laggy for the most part. Then I realized that I'm playing during the day and my dad and niece are over and they're both on Youtube. Will have to wait till later at night when everybody is gone or asleep to get a better idea of how good it is for me.

Trickster

I need some tips on how to fight Blanka as T.hawk. Feel like I am encountering that character way more than makes sense.

Don't know what T.hawk is supposed to do against Blanka at all, Blanka's moves either seem unpunishable, or they simply win against my moves, can't jump in on him either since he'll just wakeup electricute spam...

halp

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Modding is as easy as copy and pasting. Just have to know what goes where.

And the Sim stage has been around for a while.

ibsd3iXbv3Zuns.gif

My favorite stage which is featured in the OP needs an Ultra fix before it makes a return.

Shiina

snip

My favorite stage which is featured in the OP needs an Ultra fix before it makes a return.

Is that a reskin of the street stage with those elephants? Because you can still see the lens flare.

Also people seem to be reporting that people with the BETA can still play people without it. No wonder some games lag.

Coda

ibsd3iXbv3Zuns.gif

I also tried installing the all titles mod but it's not working, I followed the instructions but with no avail.

Venfayth

I noticed this post in the Steam Beta discussion thread:

seph13x 1 hour ago
C)
PLEASE NOTE! The game is set to run at the default 3 max -prerendered frames setting. This is NOT CORRECT as it adds 2 frames of additional input lag (offline & online). It should be set at 1 max-prerendered frames which is the same as the console and arcade. I have thoroughly tested this issue and am POSITIVE about this. Anybody can fix this by going to their Nvidia control panel and setting max-prerendered frames to 1 but the application (USF4) should automatically do this as any program can override the default setting of 3. THE GAME SHOULD NATIVELY RUN WITH 1 FRAME V-SYNC BUFFER NOT 3! I am sorry to shout but this is important and will improve lag both offline( matching arcade timing) and online. As I mentioned we can maually fix this in the Nvidia control panel but most people will not know to do this (or how) and according to NVIDIA the game should be able to override this setting. If you need any further information or videos with proof please feel free to contact me.

--

Anyone wanna test this on the pc version and note if it feels any better?

Hey everyone,

I have the PS3 version of Super SF4 and got the digital upgrade to AE when it came out and the ltra upgrade back in June.

I was wondering if there is any added benefit to getting the disc based version of Ultra as it is supposed to be the final version? Having it all on disc, will i be saving hard drive space by removing the digital upgrade data from my other copy?

Also, I know no one knows, but do you think this is going to get a PS4 port at some point?

If you don't own all the costumes the disc will get you all of them (apart from SFxT alts which need a SFxT save file for, the pre-order alts for the 5 new characters, and now the summer vacation costumes).

Space saving is of course a benefit, if you choose the optional install for Ultra disc (for faster load times) you're looking at a 4.6GB install still.

Other than the only benefits I can think of are if you take it to a friends?

I think many mains/alts are for cosmetic reasons.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I also tried installing the all titles mod but it's not working, I followed the instructions but with no avail.

Doesn't get any more simple than that. Just look for the folder number in user data. Folder where it's in could be different for certain people. Copy and paste, replace.

0 points. :)

kiaaa

I'm starting to think people on PC are just laggy as fuck in general, like they think they can download/youtube tons of shit and still have decent games.

Myn

I'm starting to think people on PC are just laggy as fuck in general, like they think they can download/youtube tons of shit and still have decent games.

Or have older machines and background processes they aren't aware are running. I know several people that run the game on all low settings.

Coda

Doesn't get any more simple than that. Just look for the folder number in user data. Folder where it's in could be different for certain people. Copy and paste, replace.

0 points. :)

I figured it out, I tried the use the first version that wasn't 100% complete. The second version had clearer instructions.

Trickster

The opt in test so far is pretty much as bad as the live version from my experience :/

Really hope they get it back to how it was in the GFWL version

Edit - Also getting crashes in the opt in test

Had nothing but flawless matches earlier this afternoon; now it's all laggy.

Maybe the people getting out of school/work are bogging down the system, or the player base has more people without forwarded ports. Either way, just had about seven matches in a row, all with heavy lag even with green bars.

I need some tips on how to fight Blanka as T.hawk. Feel like I am encountering that character way more than makes sense.

Don't know what T.hawk is supposed to do against Blanka at all, Blanka's moves either seem unpunishable, or they simply win against my moves, can't jump in on him either since he'll just wakeup electricute spam...

halp
From a Hawk main: pick a new character.

halp
Upload a replay and I will do my best to help. Blanka main. Definitely in Blanka's favor, but some T. Hawks do things to give me pause.

LowParry

That's a lot of titles now to go through. I wonder if anyone would notice using a Capcom title :D

Games run good. Getting connected on the other hand, pain in the ass. Orange bars were like yellow bars.

Village

I forgot how much better fans are at making costumes than Capcom. Kinda sad really.

I have no idea about better, but it is interesting.

I encounter some that I like better than some of the alts there, but a lot of em are just alright. Or like vaguely Japanese stuff thrown on a person,

BiggNife

Netcode beta definitely seems like a major improvement to me. Just had three lag-free matches in a row, beforehand every single match I played would freeze at least once.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You sound upset. There there. Why not purchase a summer costume for your favorite street fighter?

New costumes can actually be very refreshing. No joke.

Btw what the hell is going on in here lately? Been a lot of weird melodrama...
Are people just really salty from the poor PC experience so far?

colinp

Banned
New costumes can actually be very refreshing. No joke.

Btw what the hell is going on in here lately? Been a lot of weird melodrama...
Are people just really salty from the poor PC experience so far?

NeoGAF = serious business.

It's definitely not just FG threads though.

Top Bottom