• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

hitsugi

Things seem to be improved online but it's really difficult to tell. Private matches with LA's finest were flawless before, I assume because we're all local.. But against randoms I still encounter the occasional freezing or games where reacting to jump ins is impossible. I'd like to say it's more rare today but who knows?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guys, guys, guys. Just found a 3rd Strike colors mod for Hugo.

mabel-everything-is-different.gif

hitsugi

Is there a good site for all of the PC mods? Was a Guy Strider alt ever made? D: I would think that'd be a top demand

alstein

I need some tips on how to fight Blanka as T.hawk. Feel like I am encountering that character way more than makes sense.

Don't know what T.hawk is supposed to do against Blanka at all, Blanka's moves either seem unpunishable, or they simply win against my moves, can't jump in on him either since he'll just wakeup electricute spam...

halp

You pick another character. In AE you had to at the match was 2-8. Now it's "just" 3-7

Many of Blanka's moves Hawk can't punish on block.

vs full-screen blankaballs, low strong can stuff them. You can't jump on him because of electricity and/or upball.

It's really hard, I try to get a small lead then timer scam.

I hate the Blanka vs. Bison matchup so much, you play so well and Bison can just go derp, and you really cant do shit about it. The influx of Bison's on xbox live makes it even worse.

As much as I like the new summer costume for Blanka, it still can't beat out my love for Blanka in Dan's gi.

Onemic

How do you beat Bisons Devils reverse? The hitbox on that thing is too good. No normals beat it and it even beats DP's unless you time it so that it hits during the invincibility frames.

How do you beat Bisons Devils reverse? The hitbox on that thing is too good. No normals beat it and it even beats DP's unless you time it so that it hits during the invincibility frames.

Who are you playing now? When Bison's spams it against me I just walk forward and cr. HP it with Evil Ryu. Not many characters have a normal that hits straight up and fast enough walk speed to get underneath Bison though.

Trickster

You pick another character. In AE you had to at the match was 2-8. Now it's "just" 3-7

Many of Blanka's moves Hawk can't punish on block.

vs full-screen blankaballs, low strong can stuff them. You can't jump on him because of electricity and/or upball.

It's really hard, I try to get a small lead then timer scam.

Yeah you're pretty much describing my problems in the matchup.

Unfortunately picking another character isn't really an option when I can't see what character my opponent picks before commiting to T.hawk :p

alstein

Yeah you're pretty much describing my problems in the matchup.

Unfortunately picking another character isn't really an option when I can't see what character my opponent picks before commiting to T.hawk :p

I know, that's why you need to learn to do what you can.

At least Hawk's buffed walk speed and low forward give Hawk a chance.

Finally got my points back from when you took my PSN ones, Rice Eater. numnumnum

You waited like 3 years for that didn't you :p

I came back for a run back but you were no where to be found. Then I played the #8 Evil Ryu(I'm #7) in BP for like 20+ games. It was practically even between us as far as I could tell. He seems to have a more solid ground game and plays more straight forward while I was pulling out every gimmick in my bag of tricks. I wouldn't be surprised if he was cursing at home saying stuff like "WHY WOULD ANYBODY DO THIS" lol. I wanted those low forward confirms but he rarely let me land them while he was more successful landing them against me. I think he did 3 or 4 times more FADC combos than me from low foward fireball/LK axe kick.

hitsugi

I've got a huge feeling that trying to learn Guy is a waste of time

If you REALLY like Guy, it's not. Guy can be fun when you get into a groove with him.

However, if you're not a Guy fan..... well I don't see why anyone would be playing him if they weren't. He's been bad since SSF4, and there are maybe 4-5 noteworthy Guy players on Earth.

Yudoken

I noticed this post in Steam Beta discussion thread:

seph13x 1 hour ago
C)
PLEASE NOTE! The game is set to run at the default 3 max -prerendered frames setting. This is NOT CORRECT as it adds 2 frames of additional input lag (offline & online). It should be set at 1 max-prerendered frames which is the same as the console and arcade. I have thoroughly tested this issue and am POSITIVE about this. Anybody can fix this by going to their Nvidia control panel and setting max-prerendered frames to 1 but the application (USF4) should automatically do this as any program can override the default setting of 3. THE GAME SHOULD NATIVELY RUN WITH 1 FRAME V-SYNC BUFFER NOT 3! I am sorry to shout but this is important and will improve lag both offline( matching arcade timing) and online. As I mentioned we can maually fix this in the Nvidia control panel but most people will not know to do this (or how) and according to NVIDIA the game should be able to override this setting. If you need any further information or videos with proof please feel free to contact me.

--

Anyone wanna test this on the pc version and note if it feels any better?

I know how to enable Vsync via the Nvidia control panel but I really am curious if that's true but I have to look up which option they meant to configure for Ultra.
I'm gonna try this out in an hour.
Someone from Europe wanna play against me?
I'm really bad in this game but I do my best to improve.
Also I'm playing with my new arcade stick which I have to learn to handle so I have to train hard to do combos and specials again.
My neogaf username is also my Steam name.

emag

Elena/Dudley

Block and punish or focus (as long as it's not an EX). If you can react to the going up portion, you can easily punish with any air to air or just move out of the way and hit him with anything at all. Bison's DR is really, really bad in SF4.

Onemic

Block and punish or focus (as long as it's not an EX). If you can react to the going up portion, you can easily punish with any air to air or just move out of the way and hit him with anything at all. Bison's DR is really, really bad in SF4.

I initially punished with an A2A as he went up, until he started doing that trajectory switch where his arm gets extended and then I'd get punished for trying to punish his DR's.

Another charge gimmick question. How do you punish Honda's dumbass buttslam? I see everyone from high level to low level Hondas abuse the shit out of this move, to the point where it's almost all they use. On wakeup, buttslam. On your wakeup, buttslam. In close proximity...buttslam. Its invincibility and high priority makes it a pain to punish properly. The most I've ever been able to do was A2A it out of the sky...but it's never really enough to make them want to stop doing it.

mbpm1

Focus the downward slam and then release for full punish.

Works less well if your focus hops forward like Decapre though -_-

Grakl

I initially punished with an A2A as he went up, until he started doing that trajectory switch where his arm gets extended and then I'd get punished for trying to punish his DR's.

Another charge gimmick question. How do you punish Honda's dumbass buttslam? I see everyone from high level to low level Hondas abuse the shit out of this move, to the point where it's almost all they use. On wakeup, buttslam. On your wakeup, buttslam. In close proximity...buttslam. Its invincibility and high priority makes it a pain to punish properly. The most I've ever been able to do was A2A it out of the sky...but it's never really enough to make them want to stop doing it.

My Honda has the best buttslams online has to offer. 24th best Honda right here (lmao)

You can dash away and whiff punish it or focus. HK buttslam is -3 on block, so it should be punishable by HP Jet Upper.

Coda

Honestly no other character has as much corner pressure tactics than Guy in my opinion. He was my main when SSFIV came out and I really enjoyed learning and playing with him. He's got weird fundamentals that inhibit him from having a "normal" play style.

Poison's my girl now though.

Wiseblade

Honestly no other character has as much corner pressure tactics than Guy in my opinion. He was my main when SSFIV came out and I really enjoyed learning and playing with him. He's got weird fundamentals that inhibit him from having a "normal" play style.

Poison's my girl now though.
Fuerte corner pressure is not to be underestimated. More/better command grabs, an instant run-stop and overheads he can combo from mean he has a whole bunch of ways to break open a defence.

The trade-off is that none of his normals have any real frame advantage.

Nyoro SF

This move is a little silly, but the key is movement. Focus -> dash in, or dash out the landing hit. The more you move the more likely butt slam will whiff, and then you can punish easily. The hitbox on the move is actually really terrible coming down.

And of course, if you focus and it just so happens to land in front of you, you get a free crumple.

alstein

2nd hit of it is focusable unless done as a reversal. It's also very easy to safe jump it. Honda has nothing he can really do on wakeup vs a safe jump. Hondas keep doing it because it's the best of their bad options.

Dee Jay players now tell Honda players to pick a better character.

Yudoken

So enabling Vsync from Nvidia settings and disabling Vsync options doesn't make a huge difference (at least I can't tell).
I played some matches online and some were terrible, other were okay but even the good ones had major issues for a few seconds.
=/
I was looking at the steam page from Ultra and they have a beta update for Ultra.
Maybe this could solve the errors I had with the game.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/45760/discussions/0/34095684441521237/

Looks like the Beta patch actually does something and my last 5 matches worked great!
Only the ranked lobby has hickups (it's slowing down and then get's real fast and even doesn't react to my commands).
Better the lobby is a little bit buggy then ingame.

Here's a question- when in the seven hells do you release the charge on Q-Bomb to pull it off on wakeup?

Fuerte corner pressure is not to be underestimated. More/better command grabs, an instant run-stop and overheads he can combo from mean he has a whole bunch of ways to break open a defence.

The trade-off is that none of his normals have any real frame advantage.

Are there any good resources on how to play El Fuerte?

Wiseblade

Are there any good resources on how to play El Fuerte?

iZYgypGfCbp15.gif

To my knowledge, there exists no guide worth mentioning for using Fuerte. There are bits and pieces scattered around the internet, but most are:

1) Years old, with largely outdated information

2) don't go into nearly enough detail to be beneficial for someone starting out

3) Bad.

But if you want to clear Fuerte Trial 24, there's MILLIONS of tutorial videos showing you how.

cHaotix8

I noticed this post in the Steam Beta discussion thread:

seph13x 1 hour ago
C)
PLEASE NOTE! The game is set to run at the default 3 max -prerendered frames setting. This is NOT CORRECT as it adds 2 frames of additional input lag (offline & online). It should be set at 1 max-prerendered frames which is the same as the console and arcade. I have thoroughly tested this issue and am POSITIVE about this. Anybody can fix this by going to their Nvidia control panel and setting max-prerendered frames to 1 but the application (USF4) should automatically do this as any program can override the default setting of 3. THE GAME SHOULD NATIVELY RUN WITH 1 FRAME V-SYNC BUFFER NOT 3! I am sorry to shout but this is important and will improve lag both offline( matching arcade timing) and online. As I mentioned we can maually fix this in the Nvidia control panel but most people will not know to do this (or how) and according to NVIDIA the game should be able to override this setting. If you need any further information or videos with proof please feel free to contact me.

--

Anyone wanna test this on the pc version and note if it feels any better?

I wonder how long this has been an issue. I've always noticed a difference in input lag when I played the PC version when compared to Xbox and PS3, but I always figured it was just my PC.

cHaotix8

Elena/Dudley

Full screen, Dudley can punish with EX MGB or st mk if the try to land in front of you. Elena should be able to hit them full screen with rhino horn or trip guard with cr mk/hk if they land in front.

Also, the key to beating buttslam is focusing the second hit as long as it isn't reversal. Honda's like to do blocked lk buttslam into another buttslam, so just block the first one and focus the second one to punish it for fat damage.

cackhyena

I downloaded the beta patch. Haven't played online, but goofed around in training and had no lag whatsoever...so that's good I guess? Can't believe I even have to type that.

cHaotix8

So I finally jumped on the PC version and changed the max pre-rendered frames in the Nvidia control panel and it was a noticeable difference for me. And aside from this yellow bar Yun that I just fought, the netcode for the beta version has been pretty decent. Looking forward to trolling ranked again. Still getting used to the Steam interface though. Games for Windows Live was so much more convenient for me.

Venfayth

So I finally jumped on the PC version and changed the max pre-rendered frames in the Nvidia control panel and it was a noticeable difference for me. And aside from this yellow bar Yun that I just fought, the netcode for the beta version has been pretty decent. Looking forward to trolling ranked again. Still getting used to the Steam interface though. Games for Windows Live was so much more convenient for me.

Aside from GFWL's DRM functions, it was a much better fit for the game than Steam is. Interesting to hear about the prerendered frames thing, I'm gonna change mine later.

Top Bottom