• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

alstein

So I finally jumped on the PC version and changed the max pre-rendered frames in the Nvidia control panel and it was a noticeable difference for me. And aside from this yellow bar Yun that I just fought, the netcode for the beta version has been pretty decent. Looking forward to trolling ranked again. Still getting used to the Steam interface though. Games for Windows Live was so much more convenient for me.

How would you change this with an AMD card?

cHaotix8

Honestly, I'm not certain since I haven't used a non Nvidia card in years. I image it would be a 3D option under the card control panel software. The Nvidia one lets you control this option down to the program you specify.

Either way, if you've only ever played on PC, you're probably used to the 2 frames of input lag. As someone that goes between PC and Xbox pretty frequently, it's a noticeable change for me and it's important that I try to stay consistent.

I know how to enable Vsync via the Nvidia control panel but I really am curious if that's true but I have to look up which option they meant to configure for Ultra.
I'm gonna try this out in an hour.
Someone from Europe wanna play against me?
I'm really bad in this game but I do my best to improve.
Also I'm playing with my new arcade stick which I have to learn to handle so I have to train hard to do combos and specials again.
My neogaf username is also my Steam name.
Been using this setting for a week and I don't really notice a difference.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
AMD lets you override any in game settings for the most part. I've been doing it forever. Some of this stuff you really have to read into it.

hitsugi

So I finally jumped on the PC version and changed the max pre-rendered frames in the Nvidia control panel and it was a noticeable difference for me. And aside from this yellow bar Yun that I just fought, the netcode for the beta version has been pretty decent. Looking forward to trolling ranked again. Still getting used to the Steam interface though. Games for Windows Live was so much more convenient for me.

The steam interface (particularly in-game) is one of those things that looks neat but is an absolute nightmare to use.

Myn

Does anyone know how to deal with Bison as a Yun player? Especially one that just spams cr LK and st HK all day.

LowParry

It's only been Street Fighter were the forced V-sync in my card never works for the game. Any other game I play works fine. Very odd.

Kaleinc

Banned
How do you beat Bisons Devils reverse? The hitbox on that thing is too good. No normals beat it and it even beats DP's unless you time it so that it hits during the invincibility frames.
Focus attack, second hit of ex can be dashed out of and the move is really bad and unsafe.

Swarna

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but download RadeonPro. It's a way better tool than CCC for just about anything, anyways. In there you'll find an option under the Advanced tab called "Flip Queue Size" which is what you're looking for. Set it to 1. Force Vsync via this program and disable Vsync in-game.

The Hermit

I cannot wait for the new custom PC alts. Here's a sample.

iBM4CJDri8eyZ.jpg

If I had the time and know it all I would make a Floe Rufus.

Holy... That stage!

So good

LowParry

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but download RadeonPro. It's a way better tool than CCC for just about anything, anyways. In there you'll find an option under the Advanced tab called "Flip Queue Size" which is what you're looking for. Set it to 1. Force Vsync via this program and disable Vsync in-game.

Is the Flip Queue Size something that would be used with all games or just SF? That setting fixed my none sync problem for whatever reason. I got the smooth frames now :D

cackhyena

Wow, spoke too soon with this patch. Played some matches in endless that got worse and worse as time went on. No change in my internet speed. Then I back out and go to training. Lag was back, but for the first time the game literally froze up mid combo for a solid two seconds. This really sucks. Been looking forward to it for a long time and it's near unplayable.

hitsugi

Not sure what's different today, but I'm getting lag spikes while it sorts out people's connection ratings. It also seems to repeatedly check the ratings... has this happened to anyone else?

Once I get someone that has a 2-3 bar connection (in the US) it's ok. Strangely enough, I had a 3 bar connection with someone in Canada and it was completely unplayable.

Swarna

Is the Flip Queue Size something that would be used with all games or just SF? That setting fixed my none sync problem for whatever reason. I got the smooth frames now :D

If you only just installed RadeonPro I think what happened is it was able to finally force Vsync for you. Catalyst Control Center has proven to be garbage time and time again for me and it being unable to force Vsync in SF would not surprise me. That's why I blatantly tell people to use RadeonPro now.

As for FQS, lower values will reduce input lag incurred when using Vsync (not sure about when not using it) while introducing a higher probability of stuttering (on poor machines?). The default is 3 but set it to 1 just for SF. If you want you can change it on a game-per-game basis but it's best left untouched at its default if it's not bothering you. I think 1 is the lowest you can set it to. 0 either doesn't work or is treated as if set to 3.

cackhyena

Not sure what's different today, but I'm getting lag spikes while it sorts out people's connection ratings. It also seems to repeatedly check the ratings... has this happened to anyone else?

Once I get someone that has a 2-3 bar connection (in the US) it's ok. Strangely enough, I had a 3 bar connection with someone in Canada and it was completely unplayable.
Yep, getting the same thing. This patch added extra weirdness just in getting to the Endless screen to choose an opponent that it never had before. It has this weird hitch where my stick won't even work for a few seconds as it's sorting the connections out.

LowParry

If you only just installed RadeonPro I think what happened is it was able to finally force Vsync for you. Catalyst Control Center has proven to be garbage time and time again for me and it being unable to force Vsync in SF would not surprise me. That's why I blatantly tell people to use RadeonPro now.

As for FQS, lower values will reduce input lag incurred when using Vsync (not sure about when not using it) while introducing a higher probability of stuttering (on poor machines?). The default is 3 but set it to 1 just for SF. If you want you can change it on a game-per-game basis but it's best left untouched at its default if it's not bothering you. I think 1 is the lowest you can set it to. 0 either doesn't work or is treated as if set to 3.

Yeah, behind the times. I know. lol - RadeonPro is best. I'll probably play around with force v-sync then with other games. Works really well with Wildstar.

cHaotix8

Eh, I've been getting pretty good connections via ranked on PC. Then again, I host and will usually kick people if they aren't green bar.

There definitely is a lot more disrespect on PC though. I've gotten a ton of taunts in matches, lol

alstein

Did this- noticed a slight improvement, esp in yellow bar matches.

And yeah, PC players do tend to be saltier.

Just had some dumbass put a swearing rant on my Steam profile page because he couldn't beat my weakest character. Blocked, deleted and reported of course, but the salt was real. He tried to send me a friend request but I knew he'd do that.

Snap! Lovin this, Thank you!!
Now I'm training in STYLE :D
Cheers =D
Guys this patch does nothing still lag central

NYC here,
Wired
2 MB per sec
250+ fps in the benchmark. Nothing downloading in the background etc. And it's still horrible for me.

Random Freezes during matches, Green connections randomly stuttering, yellow connections are a tossup, some great, some horrible.

CAPCOM needs to hire this guy.
http://www.reddit.com/r/SF4/comments/2e4wnr/further_diagnosing_the_net_code_issues/

Renekton

Eh, I've been getting pretty good connections via ranked on PC. Then again, I host and will usually kick people if they aren't green bar.

There definitely is a lot more disrespect on PC though. I've gotten a ton of taunts in matches, lol
Some of it is just us try to mash something out and accidentally taunted.

That's why I disable taunt nowadays.

Nyoro SF

Once I get some people to give me a download link of the Tatsunoko vs Capcom Japanese version training stage (so it's high quality) then I'll ask for a background theme mod for training stage. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhX1LbQod_4

All the download links for it are currently dead cause it's old. It doesn't help that this version of the song was Japan only. :(

hitsugi

You guys think taunts are bad? You should try playing Guy.

Every loss I've had so far has the other player doing their best Guy "profound sadness" impression on the mic. I kid you not.

cackhyena

I mute everyone I come across before we start. Even if they are normal, I'm not tryna hear clicks and clacks, or background music or whatever the fuck else while I play.

Nyoro SF

I mute everyone I come across before we start. Even if they are normal, I'm not tryna hear clicks and clacks, or background music or whatever the fuck else while I play.

Why muting isn't enabled by default is kind of astounding

Every loss I've had so far has the other player doing their best Guy "profound sadness" impression on the mic. I kid you not.

haha ok this is funny

Renekton

I don't get (but really respect) how you guys can stand playing Guy online.

Yep, he's looking great. I like his style.

I think he's finally starting to use some things unique to Evil Ryu and applying them in matches. Before all we saw was his standard Ryu play being moved over to his Evil Ryu. He played as basic as possible. In some ways he still does.

Chun is one of those characters that Evil Ryu can tatsu sweep but Daigo never goes for it. In fact he doesn't attempt it against any of the other characters Evil Ryu can tatsu sweep. I think he is missing out on potentially getting more damage and stunning his opponents quicker. But that's always been his style so I don't blame him for not changing it now.

cHaotix8

Chun is one of those characters that Evil Ryu can tatsu sweep but Daigo never goes for it. In fact he doesn't attempt it against any of the other characters Evil Ryu can tatsu sweep. I think he is missing out on potentially getting more damage and stunning his opponents quicker. But that's always been his style so I don't blame him for not changing it now.

Doesn't DP > DP do more damage anyway? I think he's forgoing a setup that can leave him in a bad position if his opponent delay wakeups in order to maintain pressure up close and get more immediate damage and stun. Then again, I'm not too sure what setups Evil Ryu gets off of sweep, but it'd need to be a 5 frame safe jump at the least to work on Chun.

Top Bottom