• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

alstein

Pre-programmed move input. So you'd never miss a combo or need to actually input a move to do one. Despite this however it doesn't make you invincible. Unsafe moves are still unsafe moves, and consistency is only one piece of being a strong player.

Is super annoying though.

No, it doesn't make you invincible. What it does though, is make the other player realize that any punish= max damage. You have to adjust your gameplay and play super safe, on top of that if they have a bind for a DP, the reaction time to DP goes down, and your ability to sneak in jumps diminishes. The effects of macroing go beyond simple comboing, you have to switch to a turtle style to beat it, or find some read the other person does every time (the good macroers won't do this, it doesn't win you games by itself, but it allows you to win when you shouldn't plenty of times)

Bad players with macros are still bad, average players become very strong with macros.

cackhyena

Pre-programmed move input. So you'd never miss a combo or need to actually input a move to do one. Despite this however it doesn't make you invincible. Unsafe moves are still unsafe moves, and consistency is only one piece of being a strong player.

Is super annoying though.

Well that's disgusting. I just spent a half hour last night trying to get down this goofy combo with Dudley in training and there's dickheads out there that can hit it one button press? Why the hell would you even want to play a game like this if skill isn't an objective?

alstein

Well that's disgusting. I just spent a half hour last night trying to get down this goofy combo with Dudley in training and there's dickheads out there that can hit it one button press? Why the hell would you even want to play a game like this if skill isn't an objective?

Trolling. Gaining e-peen through ranked mode (one reason I play only endless on PC is to try and avoid those folks, it does cut it down heavily though not 100%) Some folks just live to make others miserable because their own lives are miserable. Some folks assume everyone cheats so they do it themselves.

It's also game dependent. SF4 gives you a ton of mileage for macros. I'm assuming Yata will be the same way, though its poverty status will cut down on it. Skullgirls doesn't give any real benefit to macroing, since they made everything practical.

vulva

If I'm playing against someone with a macro set up it just means I need to play better. I wouldn't accept it in a tournament or anything, but for the sake of online play I'll just take it as an opportunity to work on bettering my habits I guess.

cackhyena

The last couple days I've taken to playing Ranked simple because Endless was dead as can be. Points mean nothing to me, but it seems like it's where you can always find a match, however brief. Oh well.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm trying to find a new character to play. Played Balrog for years and I feel that with the way Ultra is, he has an uphill battle versus a good portion of the cast. I was thinking maybe a shoto.

The last couple days I've taken to playing Ranked simple because Endless was dead as can be. Points mean nothing to me, but it seems like it's where you can always find a match, however brief. Oh well.

Makes sense to me, at least. I already am not the biggest fan of longer sets unless it's with someone I know, so I have no reason to step into random Endless.

cHaotix8

Macros don't account for the footsie game. Focus on beating those players on the ground and you don't have to worry about auto-combos.

I'm trying to find a new character to play. Played Balrog for years and I feel that with the way Ultra is, he has an uphill battle versus a good portion of the cast. I was thinking maybe a shoto.

Despite what people will have you believe, Balrog is and always will be a pretty decent character. He fights most of the top tier pretty well and doesn't really have many bad matchups. Delayed wakeup helps him a ton, and being more safe of his dash punches helps him keep momentum. If you want to play a character that relies on fundamentals and few tricks, Balrog is a good choice.

Beef, we playing today?

vg260

If I'm playing against someone with a macro set up it just means I need to play better. I wouldn't accept it in a tournament or anything, but for the sake of online play I'll just take it as an opportunity to work on bettering my habits I guess.

I'm torn on rapid-fire when it's built into some controllers, but in the context of this game combo macros are essentially cheating, regardless of skill. It's pathetic people do that when people online, ranked or otherwise.

emag

I don't use macros, but I don't find any value in execution "skill", either. I'm very interested in the mind game elements of fighting games; conversely, I have zero interest in how well someone can move their fingers to time 1-frame links (especially when so much of it relies on exploiting glitches using techniques like select/back-button-p-linking).

alstein

I don't use macros, but I don't find any value in execution "skill", either. I'm very interested in the mind game elements of fighting games; conversely, I have zero interest in how well someone can move their fingers to time 1-frame links (especially when so much of it relies on exploiting glitches using techniques like select/back-button-p-linking).

It's part of the game, I just wish it was less important than it is in SF4- and I wish the game didn't reward cheating at it so much.

hitsugi

Sounds like playing with macros would be awkward as hell and rather unsatisfying. Then again, I still run into turbo Bisons so who knows?

cackhyena

I'm not saying it's essential to me, as placement and reading of the other player has long been how I manage to get my wins. Huge combos, 1 frame reliant or not, were never my thing. But in that reading of a player, maximizing damage potential, I'm leaning more towards extending myself further in execution skill. Basically not crumbling under pressure when it comes time to implement. I don't care how well someone else moves their fingers. I care how well timed mine are to take advantage. Someone using a macro, from the sounds of it, get the big damage with no consequence on hit. Meaning the rest of us have to see that combo through to the end or eat a mash. Macro users don't.

vulva

I'm torn on rapid-fire when it's built into some controllers, but in the context of this game combo macros are essentially cheating, regardless of skill. It's pathetic people do that when people online, ranked or otherwise.

It's absolutely cheating but I'm not gonna let it ruin my day.

Venfayth

Sounds like playing with macros would be awkward as hell and rather unsatisfying. Then again, I still run into turbo Bisons so who knows?

it sounds hard to use, the only time i can think to use one would be after i land a focus attack or someone gets stunned

hitsugi

I'll be on PC for a bit~ Steam name mashingkeys

Wow. The amount of Rose scrubs online is astounding. Had to switch from Guy to a real character -_-

hitsugi

I figure Guy would do pretty well against Rose.

He did, before AE2012.. and naturally, now. It was a pretty straightforward match-up where you'd use pressure and counter blocked spirals with far s.MP -> slide then go for wake up shenanigans.

Unfortunately, none of that exists anymore; Guy loses the mid-range fight for free and is now forced to play super aggressively. It's maybe a 6-4 at best, but it takes a TON of work on Guy's part and I'm really not up for it after experiencing the 8th Rose match in a row. I had a lot more fun stomping people with my brain-dead Yun.

He did, before AE2012.. and naturally, now. It was a pretty straightforward match-up where you'd use pressure and counter blocked spirals with far s.MP -> slide then go for wake up shenanigans.

Unfortunately, none of that exists anymore; Guy loses the mid-range fight for free and is now forced to play super aggressively. It's maybe a 6-4 at best, but it takes a TON of work on Guy's part and I'm really not up for it after experiencing the 8th Rose match in a row. I had a lot more fun stomping people with my brain-dead Yun.

Just saw a Guy massacre a Rose on Spooky's stream tho

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Rankings are platform-specific. You can view them on a given platform by world or region, though.

I was pretty certain they were platform-specific. Didn't know you could view them by world or region, so that's good to know, thanks.

By default though, say you're playing ranked and you come across someone who's ranked #1 (for their character, not BP - I don't even want to know the highest BP score). Does that refer to worldwide or region on that platform?

hitsugi

Just saw a Guy massacre a Rose on Spooky's stream tho

So, 1 round which consisted of a Rose player throwing out numerous unsafe spirals and it still came down to a single hit (which Rose probably could have won if they spent the meter instead of holding it for round 2). The second match was free, though.

I didn't say a 6-4 match-up was impossible - I did however state I feel it takes too much work on Guy's behalf, and that it got harder with AE2012 onward.

Onemic

I was pretty certain they were platform-specific. Didn't know you could view them by world or region, so that's good to know, thanks.

By default though, say you're playing ranked and you come across someone who's ranked #1 (for their character, not BP - I don't even want to know the highest BP score). Does that refer to worldwide or region on that platform?

worldwide

vg260

Worldwide on that platform I believe. BP is character, PP is overall.

Made a guy quit using carnival blanka and throwing him all day :)

theJrfW.png

Just ran into one of the downsides of the PC versions. 3 straight players where it was obvious by replay the other guy was using macros. Then again, that's online play in general, but SF4 has it worse than most.

You can tell because the inputs are the exact same every time, even on things with leniency. Top players don't have that exact sameness on their replays. There's occasionally a frame variation.

Just out of curiosity, is one of the guys named "ToolAssisted"? I think that guys is probably the most notorious macro user of them all. His name says it all and he has his own stream as well. I've played him several times and the first couple times I played him and I knew something wasn't right.

He tech'd every throw attempt I went for and when I instead went for hop kick, he just blocked it. I wondered how anybody could be this psychic, but when I thought about his name again, that's what gave it away. A lot of people actually know about him and don't really even mind him. They think of him as something of a different challenge instead of just a plain ol' cheater.

I've admitted this before but I used to use turbo back in the Vanilla days. I tested it out one day just to see if it would help and it made jab confirms into SRK easier for me when I was still a beginner. I kept using it for a little while and back when I use to play Hitokage on PC, I beat him pretty soundly using it. I never felt too good about hit though, I knew it wasn't accepted and I wasn't happy not being able to do the combos without turbo. So I finally stopped and learned how to hit links on my own.

Another thing, I played Ryu back then. And if you had turbo on and held down and the fierce button after a solar plexus you would be guaranteed to hit that link which is a 1 framer and his most damaging punish(excluding jump ins or focus). And yeah, I did use that to lol.

alstein

So, 1 round which consisted of a Rose player throwing out numerous unsafe spirals and it still came down to a single hit (which Rose probably could have won if they spent the meter instead of holding it for round 2). The second match was free, though.

I didn't say a 6-4 match-up was impossible - I did however state I feel it takes too much work on Guy's behalf, and that it got harder with AE2012 onward.

If they're using unsafe spirals, gotta punish that. Some roses like Spiral into EX spiral to try and bait, but that's super-risky and something I'd only use on a read.

hitsugi

If they're using unsafe spirals, gotta punish that. Some roses like Spiral into EX spiral to try and bait, but that's super-risky and something I'd only use on a read.

Of course, my point was just that even with incredibly sloppy play it came down to the last hit.

As for macros, anyone on the PC version (I don't know if the leaderboards are universal) feel free to check out the top match between.. I think it's an Akuma vs Yun? I'll obtain and post their tags later. I would bet the Yun player is tool-assisted, or completely psychic. Gets double perfects and seems to react to the other guy's button presses. That is some impressive stuff. The other guy doesn't really seem to do much, though.. it's a weird match to watch.

alstein

Of course, my point was just that even with incredibly sloppy play it came down to the last hit.

As for macros, anyone on the PC version (I don't know if the leaderboards are universal) feel free to check out the top match between.. I think it's an Akuma vs Yun? I'll obtain and post their tags later. I would bet the Yun player is tool-assisted, or completely psychic. Gets double perfects and seems to react to the other guy's button presses. That is some impressive stuff. The other guy doesn't really seem to do much, though.. it's a weird match to watch.

Once you get convinced the other guy is doing some silly stuff, you get kinda reluctant to push buttons, and start trying to think of ways to bait macros. That doesn't mean the other guy is doing this, esp vs Akuma who is tissue paper. Look and see if the inputs are unusually consistent.

(That said, it could be easily- you'd need to see a set of 2+ matches for that, I don't think you can usually judge cheating based on just one match)

Nyoro SF

Yeah I can see how that would be useful. I was thinking of macros for long drawn out combos. I guess one button shoryukens could be pretty broken too.

1 button shoryukens can be bad, but like I said earlier a shoryu is still the same unsafe shoryu. same for SPD. All that's being removed is the risk of execution for doing a single move which in the grand scheme of things is not that big of a deal.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I play Fei Long, where his whole game is to punish your openings with range and speed. An idiot pressing one button shoryus at mid screen is easy pickings. Hell I can pick off a Zangief at almost full screen if he whiffs an SPD.

Venfayth

1 button shoryukens can be bad, but like I said earlier a shoryu is still the same unsafe shoryu. same for SPD. All that's being removed is the risk of execution for doing a single move which in the grand scheme of things is not that big of a deal.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I play Fei Long, where his whole game is to punish your openings with range and speed. An idiot pressing one button shoryus at mid screen is easy pickings. Hell I can pick off a Zangief at almost full screen if he whiffs an SPD.

Well, part of my problem with Shoryukens sometimes is actually getting the input in after I react. If I'm walking back and forth I can just keep a finger on the SHORYUKEN-button and it becomes much easier. When I play Fei Long, it's much easier to react with DP for anti-air than when I'm playing Oni or Ryu because I'm holding back more often. Plus, your natural reaction to a jump in is to hold back to block, transitioning that into his flame kick is easier and safer if you do it late.

Shouta

Well, part of my problem with Shoryukens sometimes is actually getting the input in after I react. If I'm walking back and forth I can just keep a finger on the SHORYUKEN-button and it becomes much easier. When I play Fei Long, it's much easier to react with DP for anti-air than when I'm playing Oni or Ryu because I'm holding back more often. Plus, your natural reaction to a jump in is to hold back to block, transitioning that into his flame kick is easier and safer if you do it late.

That's the principle behind T.Hawk's Condor Spire input change. It's easier to do it when you're already walking in that direction.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

At least with Oni you have his standing/back FP which is a great AA for mid-close range jump-ins when you're on the back foot.

I don't play Ryu, but I imagine his c.FP is pretty good when you don't have time to react with a DP.

Killed someone with Dudley's rose and forgot to save the replay.

I am so sad right now.

Did you forget for 20 matches after that? It should still be in your battle log!

Every rose has its thorn...

Deep.

I feel so bad when I play t-hawk's, they just cant do much against blanka.

New rule for myself, don't play anyone from Australia. I don't think I have had a decent connection with anyone from there yet. When elena jumps, I upball, and it doesn't come out til she hits the ground... I cant deal with that shit.

ilikeserial

Neo Member
I was playing arcade mode as Decapre against Dudley and got the KO on him but he was able to hit me with a special move after the KO. I haven't had that happen to me ever. Is that supposed to happen?

I feel so bad when I play t-hawk's, they just cant do much against blanka.

New rule for myself, don't play anyone from Australia. I don't think I have had a decent connection with anyone from there yet. When elena jumps, I upball, and it doesn't come out til she hits the ground... I cant deal with that shit.
I am overjoyed when I get the handful of matches that are in Blanka's favor. Rose makes me especially happy, since I could never beat her before.

Pompadour

I was playing arcade mode as Decapre against Dudley and got the KO on him but he was able to hit me with a special move after the KO. I haven't had that happen to me ever. Is that supposed to happen?

I'm assuming it was his Cross Counter (he drops his arms, takes a hit, and counters with a punch)?

mbpm1

It was probably the counter. it activates even in the case of death.

Top Bottom