• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Ever play a long set mirror match against someone and reveal all your tricks, habits, and gimmicks against him/her? Well I did that with a guy who I know from the Evil Ryu forums at SRK. He's from Europe though(Dutch) but we decided to play anyways, and though it is laggy it's playable. Our first long set we went almost even, he ended up beating me 12-11. We didn't keep score, we just played till we decided to stop. It was my style vs his style during that first set.

Last night which is probably 2 weeks since we last played, he messages me asking if I want to play again. I accept and we play over 40 matches this time. Except I got bodied 27-15 this time around. A lot of stuff I kept doing, he picked it up and used it against me. I started realizing how fucking annoying my own habits and tactics were when it was turned around on me.

Besides that most of the matches went to 3 rounds and so many rounds ended with the winner having 10-15% health. And he was clutching it out so much more than I was which was also driving me crazy. He also played really well in lag. I on the other hand lost faith in my anti-airs and execution and started going for easy stuff which further made me feel disappointed about the set.

Roche

Ever play a long set mirror match against someone and reveal all your tricks, habits, and gimmicks against him/her? Well I did that with a guy who I know from the Evil Ryu forums at SRK. He's from Europe though(Dutch) but we decided to play anyways, and though it is laggy it's playable. Our first long set we went almost even, he ended up beating me 12-11. We didn't keep score, we just played till we decided to stop. It was my style vs his style during that first set.

I think this is the best way to practice, find one person who you can consistently play against who is roughly at your skill level. Once you've used up all of the usual tactics, you are forced to develop as your opponent adapts to fight you. I have a couple of people I regularly just play against in Endless over and over. I love it when they start to counter my play style.

Also as a European myself, we're somewhat forced to become used to the Cross-Atlantic latency. Gotta love slow-mo mode.

Clawww

No, it doesn't make you invincible. What it does though, is make the other player realize that any punish= max damage. You have to adjust your gameplay and play super safe, on top of that if they have a bind for a DP, the reaction time to DP goes down, and your ability to sneak in jumps diminishes. The effects of macroing go beyond simple comboing, you have to switch to a turtle style to beat it, or find some read the other person does every time (the good macroers won't do this, it doesn't win you games by itself, but it allows you to win when you shouldn't plenty of times)

Bad players with macros are still bad, average players become very strong with macros.

sure, but how often are macro users also strong or exceptional players? your worst case scenario sounds more like someone who's good at the game and is fully incorporating and exploiting the macros. usually it's a bad Bison mashing c.lk scissors combos when you run into one

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ok, so the (pc) beta doesn't really do anything for the netcode as far as I can tell - ranked matches are still 80 % "unable to connect" for me.

I don't know if it's my nerves or whatever, but does anyone else find the game much more harder to control in online mode, than in training/single player? Stuff I do 99999 times in a row without input fail in single player, is 50 % miss whenever playing online.

Roche

I don't know if it's my nerves or whatever, but does anyone else find the game much more harder to control in online mode, than in training/single player? Stuff I do 99999 times in a row without input fail in single player, is 50 % miss whenever playing online.

Well there's always gonna be a bit of a delay when connecting to other people online, could be that's just throwing off your inputs.

man rolento is super wacky to play against even after i win i don't have a good game plan against him specially when player use him randomly >.> rolento and Elena are making the most salty in this game

Trickster

Just spend the last 1½ hours getting pushed to the edge of my sanity by playing ranked and doing nothing but get my shit pushed in from only getting paired up against higher ranked opponents, who used the most annoying character to fight against, like Guile, Decapre and Vega.

But it's all right now, because the last opponent was the highest ranked off all the people I fought, some 3k pp player using his 4.2 bp Decapre against me, who was at like 600pp, using my 3k T.hawk.

And beating his ass 2-0 just felt SO FUCKING GOOD

alstein

Just spend the last 1½ hours getting pushed to the edge of my sanity by playing ranked and doing nothing but get my shit pushed in from only getting paired up against higher ranked opponents, who used the most annoying character to fight against, like Guile, Decapre and Vega.

But it's all right now, because the last opponent was the highest ranked off all the people I fought, some 3k pp player using his 4.2 bp Decapre against me, who was at like 600pp, using my 3k T.hawk.

And beating his ass 2-0 just felt SO FUCKING GOOD

Hawk actually does pretty well vs Decapre.

Be glad you didn't run into Hawk's bad matchups like Blanka.

Trickster

Hawk actually does pretty well vs Decapre.

Be glad you didn't run into Hawk's bad matchups like Blanka.

Oh I have, even made a post about it asking for help in here a while ago...never got around to finding a good replay to some feedback on.

Decapre is just super annoying to play against in general though. Those blink things are just dumb as hell, and the jump back into "LOL JUST KIDDING HERE'S MY FEET IN YOUR FACE" attack is just so goddamn annoying.

On another note, anyone got some tips for dealing with Dudley, feels like no matter what character I play, Dudley can just not be punished when a good player is using him, it's basically just a continous string of attacks, that, whenever I try to do something, results in my guard being broken and Dudley unleashing ungodly amounts of dmg.

cHaotix8

On another note, anyone got some tips for dealing with Dudley, feels like no matter what character I play, Dudley can just not be punished when a good player is using him, it's basically just a continous string of attacks, that, whenever I try to do something, results in my guard being broken and Dudley unleashing ungodly amounts of dmg.

You have to treat Dudley like a grappler until you get him knocked down, which means you want to keep him away from you until you can get in at frame advantage. He's one of those characters that you can defeat simply by beating him on the ground. His pressure up close is strong (extremely good when he has you in the corner), so you don't want to let him get it going. Learn how to punish focus attacks, whiffed moves like HP's/Machine Gun Blows and sweeps, and the most important of all, anti air. If you mess up anti airing him just once you can lose the whole round in an instant.

On the flip side, when you knock him down and are pressuring him, his defensive options aren't as strong due to his reach and recovery on his normals. Whenever I knock a Dudley player down or anti air them, I can usually win from that exchange alone if I don't mess something up and eat a zillion damage.

What character are you playing? That'll be the most important in establishing your gameplan. I would learn Dudley's frame data so you can get a better understanding of what you can punish and what his options are in certain situations.

alstein

Oh I have, even made a post about it asking for help in here a while ago...never got around to finding a good replay to some feedback on.

Decapre is just super annoying to play against in general though. Those blink things are just dumb as hell, and the jump back into "LOL JUST KIDDING HERE'S MY FEET IN YOUR FACE" attack is just so goddamn annoying.

Sometimes you gotta guess. Most of his stuff is punishable on block or interruptable.

Machine Gun Blow and hands are both punishable with SPD.

As for Decapre's drill, you need to predict then block or FA then punish. Decapre/Hawk is pretty even, though it's a bit harder for Decapre to make it even since she has to adjust her gameplan more.

Hawk/Dudley I think is in Hawk's favor. Dudley's jump fierce makes me scared to AA him sometimes, it's so good.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Hey guys, I'm learning rolento, what is a good wake up move for him? I got wrecked by a hugo player who jump spd'd me at every single wakeup and I felt helpless.

As Hawk? Poke him. Dudley has to force his way in, but if he keeps running into your hands and feet, the match will end quicker than you expect.

Eventually he'll probably get in, and when he does you wanna just block. Try and find an opportunity to get a 360 in, since there's a few unsafe spots in Dudley's barrage.

Nyoro SF

Hey guys, I'm learning rolento, what is a good wake up move for him? I got wrecked by a hugo player who jump spd'd me at every single wakeup and I felt helpless.

Well you can hold neutral jump if a hugo is just going to SPD. Jumps are throw invincible from the first frame, though you are still grounded for two startup frames. After he whiffs his SPD you can come down for a very damaging jump combo.

As for reversal special moves, the only one is ex walljump (invincible from frame 1 until you reach the wall). If you're not in the corner you can use this fairly reliably, but a good Hugo will be able to Backbreaker you if you try to come at him off the wall. In the corner with your back to the wall don't even bother with this move.

You can also backdash, backdashes are invulnerable from frame 1 for a small amount of time.

I'm still holding off playing online until they fix the netcode. I want a full fix before dealing with that hitching nonsense again. Even playing matches in my favor is a nightmare.

alstein

Last night which is probably 2 weeks since we last played, he messages me asking if I want to play again. I accept and we play over 40 matches this time. Except I got bodied 27-15 this time around. A lot of stuff I kept doing, he picked it up and used it against me. I started realizing how fucking annoying my own habits and tactics were when it was turned around on me.

Besides that most of the matches went to 3 rounds and so many rounds ended with the winner having 10-15% health. And he was clutching it out so much more than I was which was also driving me crazy. He also played really well in lag. I on the other hand lost faith in my anti-airs and execution and started going for easy stuff which further made me feel disappointed about the set.

Plenty of times. A lot of stuff that works in a tourney setting doesn't work in a long FT10 set once you've played about 5 matches. I've found the longer a set goes, execution and footsies game start to matter more. My Hawk generally does better in longer sets than my other characters for that reason, though he tends to suck in ranked.

Marz

Yea Dudley's jump (roundhouse?) is super hard to anti air for me, unless I do my uppercut really deep it trades unfavorably. So most of the time I'm like fuck it and I just EX it.

I feel for those who have to anti air it with a normal.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
iHRLILuTxfK6X.gif

240m657.gif

He really doesn't have any. Ex wall jump (delta escape) will be ok at best until you're in the corner and then it's worthless. His backflip (delta attack backflip) is invincible for some frames and that will partially get rid of pressure, but you'll most likely get hit out of it. At least you'll be in the air when you get hit though. It's a shitty option in the corner too.

Do not get cornered.

mbpm1

Rolento's wakeup is probably the worst in the entire game. Controlling neutral and not getting knocked down is the best solution to this sadly. Otherwise, get used to blocking, teching, and backdashing at the right moments.

Plenty of times. A lot of stuff that works in a tourney setting doesn't work in a long FT10 set once you've played about 5 matches. I've found the longer a set goes, execution and footsies game start to matter more. My Hawk generally does better in longer sets than my other characters for that reason, though he tends to suck in ranked.

I've played plenty of long sets where my opponent starts learning my habits and started countering it. But this is the first time I ever had to deal with someone using my very own habits and tactics against me. It was the closest I've ever felt to playing myself in real life. I found that I was a bit lost when I had to deal with some of my own stuff.

the one thing i always realize when i play a mirror match

"man that guy is a better X player than me" :C

I don't think this is true at all, the mirror match doesn't tell the whole story. Their are times where the better overall player at a certain character isn't the best in the mirror match.

Yea Dudley's jump (roundhouse?) is super hard to anti air for me, unless I do my uppercut really deep it trades unfavorably. So most of the time I'm like fuck it and I just EX it.

I feel for those who have to anti air it with a normal.

Don't, that's exactly what I do. My fierce DP trades all the time while my medium DP almost always get the 2nd hit only(30 damage lol). You have to hit the DP really deep, but you risk eating a 350+ damage combo if you fail to. I just stick with cr. HP to anti-air Dudley. Gets me 90 damage and almost never trades or gets stuffed as long as I get it out early enough.

stn

Looking for advice and critiquing of my new Gouken in action!Let me know what you think.

As for Rolento? He sucks, bottom-tier without a doubt. I used to be able to confidently face good opponents in SFxT when all of his stuff was working properly. Now? His buttons are gimped and suck. Not to mention USF4 has many more unorthodox characters who can alter their jump arcs. Good luck trying to keep Seth out for a whole round, for example. Once he gets in? You're just mashing crouch tech and hoping for relief.

hitsugi

I don't think this is true at all, the mirror match doesn't tell the whole story. Their are times where the better overall player at a certain character isn't the best in the mirror match.

Yup. Losing mirror matches really doesn't mean one player is better than the other with that character. Could be far from it, really.

Outside of shotos, I hate mirrors and will go out of my way to avoid them whenever possible; even if it means picking a character I am generally not as good with. It just works out better for me that way.

Strangely enough, in CVS2 this was incredibly difficult to do at very high levels, so I ran into mirrors quite often and didn't care.

Myn

Has anyone tried the new team battle mode they have that's like KOF 3v3 style? I forgot that was a feature. lol

Moaradin

Has anyone tried the new team battle mode they have that's like KOF 3v3 style? I forgot that was a feature. lol

I did on launch day. Nobody plays it because it's so half assed. They just threw it on the Tournament Mode interface. You have to go back to the lobby after each round.

Myn

I did on launch day. Nobody plays it because it's so half assed. They just threw it on the Tournament Mode interface. You have to go back to the lobby after each round.

...Really? Christ. From the way they showed it off in the trailer it looked like a single battle that rotated players around.

I never bothered with it because it required 6 players to actually play it. But I didn't realize it was even worse and was like this. It would have been a lot of fun if it was like a actual KOF mode.

Your meter doesn't even transfer over to the next player so yah mode is pretty bare bones... To think with all the effort they put into "KOF mode they could have added a rematch button and the UMVC3 lobby system where people opt in to play, which both would have gotten 1000x more use than adding some pointless mode people drop after the first 2 weeks.

hitsugi

WOW. Lag is back in full effect. Getting spikes in training mode, char select screen, and of course - in game against people who have discovered turbo is the solution to all of this.

...It really works, but I'm not going to bother playing randoms today. Private lobbies yet again.

Coda

WOW. Lag is back in full effect. Getting spikes in training mode, char select screen, and of course - in game against people who have discovered turbo is the solution to all of this.

...It really works, but I'm not going to bother playing randoms today. Private lobbies yet again.

The 360 version of Ultra is super solid. I pretty much stopped playing PC unless I'm playing local with a friend and don't want to lug my 360 to their place.

hitsugi

The 360 version of Ultra is super solid. I pretty much stopped playing PC unless I'm playing local with a friend and don't want to lug my 360 to their place.

Already went through 4 360's. I will never buy that console again. Especially to pay a yearly fee to play one game.

The PC version, between the beta's start up until yesterday, was god-like. Not sure what's going on with the freezes/spikes.

ajb1888

Banned
Well.
Found out a local tourney is happening in my town tomorrow, and some friends and I have decided we're gonna go!
Yikes, I never do this sorta thing haha.. I could be the only scrub for all I know :p

Coda

Already went through 4 360's. I will never buy that console again. Especially to pay a yearly fee to play one game.

The PC version, between the beta's start up until yesterday, was god-like. Not sure what's going on with the freezes/spikes.

True, it's such a dead console to me otherwise. PC beta is pretty solid. We need a fighter on the Wii U.

Biochet

his reversal is pretty eh, you're better off just linking s.lp, it blows up crouch tech(has a big hitbox) and is very fast at 3 frames, use that then dash or roll backward to get out of the uppercut/ultra range because you know your opponent is mashing the shit out if it.

Venfayth

Haha Chaotix was that you I played on PC?

I get so used to playing against people who know how to play online that I get lost when playing against someone who actually knows how to play. GGs

cHaotix8

Haha Chaotix was that you I played on PC?

I get so used to playing against people who know how to play online that I get lost when playing against someone who actually knows how to play. GGs

haha, yup. Playing ranked for a bit always starts my weekend off on the right foot.

alstein

I'm having no issues. I've had issues at times with the netcode, but it's always vs specific players- if someone's good, they're good. This is why I believe it's something to do with the player as well as the netcode.

Doing things like reducing the amount of time Steam pings you to 250 helps.

And yeah, I'm sticking with the PC no matter what- I even sold my PS3 yesterday. I just can't stand how slow the PS3 is, and I won't pay for online MP access ever (and that won't come to PC). If I got any console it would be the Wii U if Smash gets rave reviews and I can afford.

Top Bottom