• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Tan

So Ultra online is still borked on PC? I remember people saying it was worse than AE, but I'm thinking about upgrading now that the AE crowd is thinning.

kiaaa

So Ultra online is still borked on PC? I remember people saying it was worse than AE, but I'm thinking about upgrading now that the AE crowd is thinning.

idk, every now and then, I'm pretty sure it's the game itself, but most of the time, I think people are just laggy as fuck.

Was there some kind of update?

I got on yesterday after not having played in a week or so and not only was it noticably less laggy, but still laggy enough to cost me matches at clutch moments(!!!!!), the bars were actually showing connection status instead of just blinking non-stop.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Playing in public lobbies is just as bad as PSN at it's worst. All of my time in public lobbies I had zero "good" connections even with people I typically have perfect connection to in Live. Private lobbies are way better but it won't miraculously make people with bad connections to begin with great.

Onemic

If that were true, I wouldn't have perfect games and I've had plenty of those. I've seen you post this shit a lot. You might wanna make sure it isn't your own internet.

Having perfect games sometimes =/= netcode is perfect

I shouldnt be able to play someone in kofxiii perfectly and when we switch to usf4 it's a lag fest. The beta has made things better, it's still not there yet though.

kiaaa

Having perfect games sometimes =/= netcode is perfect

I shouldnt be able to play someone in kofxiii perfectly and when we switch to usf4 it's a lag fest. The beta has made things better, it's still not there yet though.

???

I said it was likely people being laggy as fuck most of the time and you said it was just the game. It's not just the game.

I dunno how you got that from this conversation.

Onemic

???

I said it was likely people being laggy as fuck most of the time and you said it was just the game. It's not just the game.

I dunno how you got that from this conversation.

You seem to be making the assertion that the problems people are talking about with regards to lag is because they themselves are lagging. I'm giving you an example as to why that probably isn't the sole case. The netcode just isnt good.

alstein

Playing in public lobbies is just as bad as PSN at it's worst. All of my time in public lobbies I had zero "good" connections even with people I typically have perfect connection to in Live. Private lobbies are way better but it won't miraculously make people with bad connections to begin with great.

I've noticed it's large public lobbies that have the problem, small publics are fine- esp 2 player ones.

It's usually due to one mic spammer or guy who has K-Mart internet.

So where is the best guide for sf 4 these days? I'm doing ok with blanka, as I have for years, but have a lot to learn. I'm not familiar with the new changes for ultra, wake ups or any real expert combos or play styles / techniques.

Vice

So where is the best guide for sf 4 these days? I'm doing ok with blanka, as I have for years, but have a lot to learn. I'm not familiar with the new changes for ultra, wake ups or any real expert combos or play styles / techniques.

For character specifics use Shoryuken.com's forums and Youtube.

This Tutorial is a bit old but will cover everything until the system changes in Ultra

For high level play check Team Sp00ky's, Capcom Fighters and LevelUp's twitch and Youtube accounts.

There are quite a few videos and articles explaining the differences spread throughout Youtube and a few community sites.

mbpm1

Whenever I mess and it turns out well, I try to convince myself it was a read.

Yeah, I totally read that mashing at the end of the round, and totally intended to bait the dp by stopping my string. >.>

emag

[Dumb Question] Does the Ultra update on Steam include the latest Ultra frame data?

Yes. It's currently up-to-date. (But if you're asking whether the frame data is in a human-readable format for access in-game, the answer is "no".)

Charge characters ruin this game for me, over power Balrog and Guiles smh... My poor Fei.

image.php

Ceezsa

The lag in this game on PC almost makes me wonder if they even intend to fix it, like there may need to be a class action lawsuit against capcom to make them step it up.

On another note I am having such a hard time switching from gamepad to arcade stick. Got a Tournament tomorrow and will have to play using a 360 controller. I think I will stick with Zangief. Could barely pull off a flash kick with the 360 d-pad. SPD work great though. I use a Wii U Pro controller on PC.

Marz

The lag in this game on PC almost makes me wonder if they even intend to fix it, like there may need to be a class action lawsuit against capcom to make them step it up.

On another note I am having such a hard time switching from gamepad to arcade stick. Got a Tournament tomorrow and will have to play using a 360 controller. I think I will stick with Zangief. Could barely pull off a flash kick with the 360 d-pad. SPD work great though. I use a Wii U Pro controller on PC.

Neogaf Collective sues Capcom USA.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So my son sees me lose regularly online, especially against GAF peeps, so he decided "Okay, Daddy, I can take you out!". Challenges me to play, so I said okay, I will pick Random and you can stick with Akuma, who is his favorite. Predictably, I destroy him, but the takeaway is that he turned around and took that experience and destroyed his friends later on when they all played together. He's 10, gonna be 11 in a few weeks. Right now, he's finally getting Shoryuken's down after nailing Hadokens pretty consistently during our session. I even saw some Focus Attack action here and there.

Looks like the SF legacy will live on after I finally hang it up for good. Next I have to see about getting him to learn on a stick or at least a fight pad. Right now he's on the stock 360 pad--using the analog no less!

So my son sees me lose regularly online, especially against GAF peeps, so he decided "Okay, Daddy, I can take you out!". Challenges me to play, so I said okay, I will pick Random and you can stick with Akuma, who is his favorite. Predictably, I destroy him, but the takeaway is that he turned around and took that experience and destroyed his friends later on when they all played together. He's 10, gonna be 11 in a few weeks. Right now, he's finally getting Shoryuken's down after nailing Hadokens pretty consistently during our session. I even saw some Focus Attack action here and there.

Looks like the SF legacy will live on after I finally hang it up for good. Next I have to see about getting him to learn on a stick or at least a fight pad. Right now he's on the stock 360 pad--using the analog no less!

If your son can't do evil ryu loops by the age of 12 you have failed as a father

brnwx.jpg

After slapping around multiple fuerte's, I run into Iperu, damn fuerte is scary in good hands. Also playing offline more recently makes me notice little things online, like trying to back dash zangief's grab is way, way harder.

Any personal bad matchups for you guys? Gen for me, no one at locals plays him, and I very rarely see him online, so when I do run into a good gen, I just don't really know how to deal with him.

alstein

After slapping around multiple fuerte's, I run into Iperu, damn fuerte is scary in good hands. Also playing offline more recently makes me notice little things online, like trying to back dash zangief's grab is way, way harder.

Any personal bad matchups for you guys? Gen for me, no one at locals plays him, and I very rarely see him online, so when I do run into a good gen, I just don't really know how to deal with him.

Bison seems to be my personal bad matchup for some reason.

execution.

#ionlyplaychargecharacters
#chargecharacters4life
#nofadcultra

as honda - sim, guile, ryu, balrog, blanka, rufus, chun
as decapre - guile, bipson, elena, chun, gief, vega, poison

It really depends on which character I'm using, but Ibuki and just works me in general. Seth is a pain in the ass unless I'm using Ryu....and I'm not even a Ryu player! Really good Ken and Fei Long players are also really hard for me to deal with. Other than that I usually feel alright in any matchup.

Nyoro SF

Balrog has always been my worst matchup easily. Real annoying character. Safe normals, endless number of safe specials (and ones that aren't require pitch perfect timing and spacing to punish), moves anti-airing when they have no business doing so, 3 armor breakers, stupid comeback potential. Fast walk, short jump, one of the best throw games.

Not to mention attacking him on wakeup is a real bitch. He can do an ex move to armor through you (safe on block, beats option selects, very quick whiff recovery), turn punch (has such a massive window of invincibility that option selects WHIFF, and safe on block) and headbutt (a move that requires absolute perfect spacing to low profile and you can't even safe meaty it with a jab). So in the off chance you knock him down you have to spin the wheel and hope you can actually press an advantage. Viper is dumb for the same reason.

Since he's my worst matchup I've tried analyzing him a lot and the more I study him the more stupid he is. Oh and I forgot to throw in his dumb hitbox.

Balrog has always been my worst matchup easily. Real annoying character. Safe normals, endless number of safe specials (and ones that aren't require pitch perfect timing and spacing to punish), moves anti-airing when they have no business doing so, 3 armor breakers, stupid comeback potential. Fast walk, short jump, one of the best throw games.

Not to mention attacking him on wakeup is a real bitch. He can do an ex move to armor through you (safe on block, beats option selects, very quick whiff recovery), turn punch (has such a massive window of invincibility that option selects WHIFF, and safe on block) and headbutt (a move that requires absolute perfect spacing to low profile and you can't even safe meaty it with a jab). So in the off chance you knock him down you have to spin the wheel and hope you can actually press an advantage. Viper is dumb for the same reason.

Since he's my worst matchup I've tried analyzing him a lot and the more I study him the more stupid he is. Oh and I forgot to throw in his dumb hitbox.
I'd probably hate Balrog a lot more if it wasn't for the fact that I play Rufus. That's the only character that I can comfortably beat him with. Any other character I use is a real struggle.

Top Bottom