• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Bust some dude's ass with Hugo and Gen, 3 in a row. Ask my son "How long you think before he quits?"

Right after that, on-screen:
"Host has removed you from session."

Amazing. Me and my son started cracking up.

3 bad losses in a row and peace out. Why bother making a one on one Endless session at all?? Smh.

Sheroking

Yeah, maybe it was more like 4 hours? He has 7 hours on record, and 2 of those were in a lobby with me last night. His BP and PP are almost even at 3k-ish. He only plays one character and has since Super. He was also the #1 or #2 Adon in the US on live for the last couple of years. Adon is a scrub killer character, so it's not really hard to believe.

Okay, well if he's been playing since Super, that's not what I thought you meant by "four hours".

Duress

I give up on this game. The lag for PC is shit. I feel like I'm making no progression, and I can't find a lobby for the life of me, my friends stop playing, and there's no fgc any where near me. I'm having fun playing it, but under the circumstances. I'm done.

/myblog

I give up on this game. The lag for PC is shit. I feel like I'm making no progression, and I can't find a lobby for the life of me, my friends stop playing, and there's no fgc any where near me. I'm having fun playing it, but under the circumstances. I'm done.

/myblog

P L A Y O N X B O X M Y F R I E N D .

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Endless was a shithole for me today. Some jackass starts playing music over his mic after talking unitelligible shit and proceeds to pull the plug right as he was about to lose. There's no accounting for the general population, lemme tell you.

hitsugi

Endless was a shithole for me today. Some jackass starts playing music over his mic after talking unitelligible shit and proceeds to pull the plug right as he was about to lose. There's no accounting for the general population, lemme tell you.

I muted mic volumes as soon as I saw the option. No point in hearing someone stranger's complaints / breathing / family / whatever.

Coda

I muted mic volumes as soon as I saw the option. No point in hearing someone stranger's complaints / breathing / family / whatever.

Haha usually it's annoying but sometimes there's some gems to hearing some angry husband yell back to his wife.

Music blaring over someone's mic is unacceptable though.

P L A Y O N X B O X M Y F R I E N D .

I hate to say it, but I'm probably going to come back. I went online again for a while today on PC and the lag is just horrendous. Is it better than PS3, well I'll still say yes but only slightly. I really miss GFWL. Oh well it looks like MS gonna get my monies again because I need to play somewhere with minimal lag.

Coda

I hate to say it, but I'm probably going to come back. I went online again for a while today on PC and the lag is just horrendous. Is it better than PS3, well I'll still say yes but only slightly. I really miss GFWL. Oh well it looks like MS gonna get my monies again because I need to play somewhere with minimal lag.

This is my dilemma at the moment. The PC version just isn't nearly as smooth as an experience as it is on the 360. But my gold just ran out and I don't want to shell out $60 bucks or even $30 just to play one game online a few times a week.

ajb1888

Banned
The remaining hit list lol. Still playing as Juri and Dhalsim on steam/360:

1. Evil Ryu (my nemesis at this point)
2. Gouken
3. Honda (because I never see any)
4. Gen (same)
5. THawk (spire, spire, spire)
6. Yun
7. Rufus
8. El Fuerte (should have by now)
9. Adon
10. Hakan
11. Rolento
12. Dan (have played against once)
13. Guile (Arg!! Nemesis number 2)
14. Elena (another rare one..)
15. Cody
16. Abel
*17. Robot-Skinned Zangiefs lol. Its like bad luck.

I've played like 40 matches tonight ish. Won like probably 37 of them, but every match I've lost the person has left the lobby immediately.

frustrating but whatevs tho

This is my dilemma at the moment. The PC version just isn't nearly as smooth as an experience as it is on the 360. But my gold just ran out and I don't want to shell out $60 bucks or even $30 just to play one game online a few times a week.

I feel like I have no choice. This is the only game I play nowadays. And I still really enjoy playing it when I win(not so much when I lose though). I still want to continue getting better at everything, execution, reactions, spacing, and so on. So I have to play on the platform that gives me the best experience. Especially since the other two are ass. I really wanted to stick with PC but I can't. Even though the patch improved the net code overall, it still sucks for the most part.

Another thing that really bothers me is that you can't even figure out what's a good connection nowadays. The bars don't mean shit. I choose a guy that says he has green bars with me. Then I enter his room and it changes to 1 or 2 bars. Then we play and it could be anything after that. I've had smooth red bar games and bad ones like they're suppose to be. Oh well it wasn't all bad today. I hit a super long axe kick loop with Evil Ryu that used up 4 bars. That felt pretty good.

alstein

I have enough good connects on PC that I wasn't going to pay Microsoft a junk fee. I'm not a competitive player anymore anyways.

hitsugi

The fact of the matter is simple - there are better plays on XBOX than PC at the moment, and that isn't likely to change.

Wong and PR Rog tried PC out for a while, PR Rog even said he preferred PC, but they stopped playing on PC after week 1 of the beta.

Capcom seems to have abandoned the game after that first week, and it shows. Oh well.

cHaotix8

hitting people on wakeup with meaty cr hp buffered into ex tatsu feels so godlike.

Basically focused on trying that out today and it catches a fair amount of people. Obviously it fails against people who DP or Ultra, but when it's blocked Ken flies away so fast that most people don't react. Decent way to punish people for pressing buttons for scrubs like me who don't have the safe hit confirm combos into DP quite yet.

Try using close standing mk instead of cr hp cancel. You get a long time to confirm that into cr mk xx tatsu. It's a pretty easy hit confirm and you get to keep pressuring if they block the mk.

alstein

The fact of the matter is simple - there are better plays on XBOX than PC at the moment, and that isn't likely to change.

Wong and PR Rog tried PC out for a while, PR Rog even said he preferred PC, but they stopped playing on PC after week 1 of the beta.

Capcom seems to have abandoned the game after that first week, and it shows. Oh well.

Either that or Dead Rising issues caused Ultra to be put on backburner

The better players argument- well, unless you're so good that the best PC players don't give you any comp, it's not a huge deal. I'd say that would only apply to a half-dozen or so folks.

mbpm1

At a strange stage where I'm just playing like an idiot and it's working. But I'm actually mad that it's working for some reason. weird.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So I'm getting back into Gouken. He was my very first character when SF4 first dropped. What are some GAF-pro tips and/or set-ups I should be focusing on??

Just bought Ultra on Steam, trying to dl it but it keeps pausing at like 6-7 gigs and every time I try to resume the download, it goes for about 2-5 seconds and then pauses again. This shit is infuriating. I feel like I should've just went w/ this on the ps3 instead.

Evil Ryu does a ton of fucking damage, while they play differently he's Akuma, low HP but can dish out the damage..

I don't even consider Evil Ryu to be low health anymore. 950 is just barely below 1000 which most people consider average. The stun on the other hand is a lot more noticeable. It still surprises me sometimes when I get stunned.

Another thing, today I go to youtube and see that I received a reply to a comment I made. The guy said I was wrong about a comment I made and that I'm a scrub. I've received hate mail here and there when playing online for various reasons and I always laugh it off with no response. But this on the other hand really irritated me. This guy questioned my knowledge of the game even though he has no fucking clue what he's talking about. So I replied back and explained the situation to him while telling him he shouldn't be talking because he doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. Even if he replies I don't expect him to understand the explanation I gave him so maybe their was no point in doing this but I had to get it out of my system because it actually got to me.

/end random rant

I don't even consider Evil Ryu to be low health anymore. 950 is just barely below 1000 which most people consider average. The stun on the other hand is a lot more noticeable. It still surprises me sometimes when I get stunned.

Another thing, today I go to youtube and see that I received a reply to a comment I made. The guy said I was wrong about a comment I made and that I'm a scrub. I've received hate mail here and there when playing online for various reasons and I always laugh it off with no response. But this on the other hand really irritated me. This guy questioned my knowledge of the game even though he has no fucking clue what he's talking about. So I replied back and explained the situation to him while telling him he shouldn't be talking because he doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. Even if he replies I don't expect him to understand the explanation I gave him so maybe their was no point in doing this but I had to get it out of my system because it actually got to me.

/end random rant
What was the comment about, if you don't mind sharing

What was the comment about, if you don't mind sharing

This video, our comments are at the top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSqSBNi951E

If you watch the video and read our replies I'm sure you'll know what I mean. I can take being called a scrub because of my skill, because I don't consider myself that good at all. But I consider myself to have a pretty good understanding of high level play as a viewer and someone going at me for not knowing what I'm talking about(for the first time) got under my skin.

Anyone on PC notice that your throw tech rate has gone down? i used to tech throws 8 out of 10, now it's more like 50/50 I miss GFWL..steam version is shit...

If you watch the video and read our replies I'm sure you'll know what I mean. I can take being called a scrub because of my skill, because I don't consider myself that good at all. But I consider myself to have a pretty good understanding of high level play as a viewer and someone going at me for not knowing what I'm talking about(for the first time) got under my skin.
Haha. Yeah youtube trolls will be youtube trolls. I agree though about using ultra in that situation. But I'm generally pretty nutty and will use ultra in a lot of situations, especially against Dhalsim and his ultra.

Marz

Completely understand, you don't know how many times I've replied on a Sagat video to " WOW FAGGET SAGGET PLAYER JUST TIGER SHOT TIGER TIGER TIGER SHIT NO SKILL JUST SPAMMMMM SHIT SHOT"

alstein

Anyone on PC notice that your throw tech rate has gone down? i used to tech throws 8 out of 10, now it's more like 50/50 I miss GFWL..steam version is shit...

Mine has actually gone up for some reason.

You are always going to find folks who shit on your gameplay level. They might get a couple of wins and deduce you are terrible just because you guessed wrong on their vortex crap. Nothing you can do about that but try to remember who they are, then troll them when you get the chance and boot them from your lobby after a win.

I really don't like chars have different health, to me it feels like a shit way to balance, and it's very rare for the chars with high health to dominate because they get gimped too much to make up for it.

Hansel?

Neo Member
I have not been able to find this info anywhere and it's actually getting annoying.

When installing the retail copy of Ultra PS3, what exactly is that helping? And how big is the install.

I have not been able to find this info anywhere and it's actually getting annoying.

When installing the retail copy of Ultra PS3, what exactly is that helping? And how big is the install.

Load times, its really obvious when someone does not have it installed when online lol. Not sure on the size as I have Super + AE + Ultra downloads instead of retail discs.

Top Bottom