• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

So far the answer to this question is:

Viper
Yun

Dhalsim?
Hakan
Smug-Large.png

Entered a local USFIV tournament on Sunday and came fourth, videos got posted today.

My recorded matches:

One

Two

Three

Four

Good stuff, that oni tho, never really thought that would be such a shit matchup for elf.

Been working on Guy the past 3 weeks, always liked his design but never put any time into him. Now that I have put some in, god damn, new alt for sure(sorry hakan, your fun, but guy is more fun). Plus ex Izuna is awesome, catching wakeup shoryukens with it is so satisfying.

mbpm1

Good stuff, that oni tho, never really thought that would be such a shit matchup for elf.

Only thing I can see is that he could try focusing the stomps. That's a guess though, and beaten by throw. Also anything but the light slashes are punishable, the medium slash where he hovers and then stays in front is -5 so he should be able to get a throw in there. Looks pretty bad though.

alstein

How the hell does Rog lose to Hakan? Rog usually does great vs grapplers, and I don't see Hakan gimmicks working well vs him.

I can see Chun beating Rog, and Honda maybe of all people- I usually do well Honda vs Rog, as long as I am willing to make their ends bleed as much as mine.

Marz

Pretty sure grapplers by nature beat Rog because they can punish literally all of his special moves on block with SPD.

I know Sagat had a slight advantage on Rog in 2012, not sure in Ultra though.

mbpm1

Pretty sure grapplers by nature beat Rog because they can punish literally all of his special moves on block with SPD.

Though Balrog doesn't have to use specials to fight Gief most of the time. Dem normals.

I think Gat vs Rog is 5/5.

I probably wouldn't even put PR Rog in the running for best E Ryu. He needs to stick to Rog.

Honestly I feel the same way. I'm basing what I said off comments that I see a lot of Youtube and Eventhubs. It really kind of irritates me because people keep saying stupid stuff just because Daigo lost at EVO. As for PR Rog, he has a good Evil Ryu but not a elite one IMO. Sometimes it seems like he switches characters just because he lost even though it's not actually a good match up. He did that against a Viper at PAX which I think is a bad match up for Evil Ryu.

Oh and I just noticed this today. Not counting the hacker that has like a billion points, I'm the #1 Evil Ryu player in North America in the PC version. I should take a picture of it and frame it because this will probably be my biggest accomplishment in all of the SF4 series. Which is pretty much me grinding rank on probably the least played version of this game lol.

Man.. Capcom has to give some updates on what they're doing about Ultra moving forward.. Remember when new updated trials were supposed to come with the Disc ver? These new character hitboxes are all fucked b.

Why aren't they commenting on shit? gimme something brehs

Also shoutout to Guy's dash overhead kick only hitting once on crouching Rolento.. Like y does dis happen

gutabo

Honestly I feel the same way. I'm basing what I said off comments that I see a lot of Youtube and Eventhubs. It really kind of irritates me because people keep saying stupid stuff just because Daigo lost at EVO. As for PR Rog, he has a good Evil Ryu but not a elite one IMO. Sometimes it seems like he switches characters just because he lost even though it's not actually a good match up. He did that against a Viper at PAX which I think is a bad match up for Evil Ryu.

How's the Eryu- Blanka matchup? I ask because recently(AE2012) I played one of our best players for a while and he ran a train through my Honda, Viper, Chun and Sakura but my Blanka made him ragequit with kinda basic stuff(hop into U1, crossup hop into U1, plenty of hop shenanigans) but I had a strong read of his habits from the previous games(like when he mashed dp or when he mashed tech or when he mashed standing throw) and I took full advantage of that. I.E. I did ball whenever he tried to focus or hop into throw when he was scared of focusing or hop into U1 when he tried to tech, rinse and repeat. He seemed to have a problem with blanka's jump after anti airing so much stuff from my other characters. Was it just him or is the matchup good for blanka? I was like 0-8 and I made a comeback all the way to 10-8.

EDIT: Congrats on dat Eryu 1st place! :D

I'm not sure what to think of the match up, I guess if I had to say I would say slight advantage to Blanka. I know a good Blanka player at SRK also gave the nod to Blanka. But it sounds like the guy you played just has a natural weakness to Blanka shenanigans. Honestly I'm quite similar. I'm better at dealing with hop shenanigans now but I can't anti-air DP Blanka at all either. I've played too many Blanka's that will hop in and slide at unsafe ranges and it has basically conditioned me to look for those things and be afraid of it all the time. It doesn't help that Blanka's jump arc makes him spend less time in the air than most characters as well.

Besides that Blanka and El Fuerte are the only two characters where I always use Ultra 1 over Ultra 2. With Elf it's obviously because of the change to his Q bomb. With Blanka I use my dive kick to bait out his EX up ball so I can punish with Metsu Hadoken. It's a nice little gimmick that will make most smarter Blanka players afraid of anti-airing me with EX up ball once they realize what I'm looking for.

cHaotix8

Yeah, he does that a ton. Neither his E Ryu or Fei Long are anywhere close to his Rog. I see him switching out in a lot of matches when he'd be better off just toughing it out with his real main.

Rog loses to Chun for sure, but can't really think about anyone else. Seth, Dhalsim, MAYBE Guile? Those are winnable now, I'd say.

I don't think he loses to Yun and he definitely beats Viper. Honda - Rog was even before, Rog probably wins now that he can punish EX headbutt without super.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So at this point in time...

PC or PSN?

Which is the lesser evil?

Onemic

PSN is more consistent, but lag is more or less constant to some degree. PC can have less lag, but is very inconsistent. Expect random lag spikes.

Bottom line: PC has the potential for a much brighter future, so PC, though not by much.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Got some offline games in with a good Rolento player last night. Good god, fuck the Rolento-Sim matchup.

That fucking roll move is ridiculous. Stand fierce either loses or trades most of the time, but slides or db strong/jabs work a little better. On block it's pretty safe too.

Not that hard to punish instant airknife meter building spam, but to do that I have to get in the range of the roll, and then have to deal with that shit all over again.

Ultra II shuts down most of my fireball game once he's got it.

Rolento's low forward into instant EX airknife into air raid into setup opportunity is incredible. Thank god it's so hard to do.

I need to play this matchup more or test some things in training mode to learn how to deal with this.

Marz

Got some offline games in with a good Rolento player last night. Good god, fuck the Rolento-Sim matchup.

That fucking roll move is ridiculous. Stand fierce either loses or trades most of the time, but slides or db strong/jabs work a little better. On block it's pretty safe too.

Not that hard to punish instant airknife meter building spam, but to do that I have to get in the range of the roll, and then have to deal with that shit all over again.

Ultra II shuts down most of my fireball game once he's got it.

Rolento's low forward into instant EX airknife into air raid into setup opportunity is incredible. Thank god it's so hard to do.

I need to play this matchup more or test some things in training mode to learn how to deal with this.

Are you stand blocking the roll?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Are you stand blocking the roll?

I should have been doing that, but I didn't realize that part until we were nearly done. The next time we play I have to remember that. That's one of the things I want to test out in training mode before then.

alstein

PSN is more consistent, but lag is more or less constant to some degree. PC can have less lag, but is very inconsistent. Expect random lag spikes.

Bottom line: PC has the potential for a much brighter future, so PC, though not by much.

I found PSN completely unacceptable, too much lag even on optimal connects. PC I can have good matches, even if sometimes you get bad connects.

Onemic

I found PSN completely unacceptable, too much lag even on optimal connects. PC I can have good matches, even if sometimes you get bad connects.

In my experience when PC is good It's really good and easily outshines PSN in every way imaginable. More often than not though it tends to be between very good and bad. Bad being random lag spikes in games. I sometimes feel as though I'd rather take the consistent lag on PSN than the good-until-you-hit-a-lag-spike PC version......but nah. I aint never going back to PSN lmao.

It's still insane to me that SNK of all people were able to create solid netcode for their flagship FG before Capcom.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So after I was playing last night against Rolento, this other guy who is with us (who is a really good player) decides to try his hand at the Rolento-Sim match. He's familiar with playing Sim.

After a few games he says, "Holy shit Renta, this is too much work, change your character lol"

Kinda confused by something. I owned Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on Steam, and well...I never purchased or upgraded to Ultra SF4, but it says I own it. I was looking at the stuff in the Capcom sale, and when I clicked on Ultra, it says I have it, and it shows that icon in my games menu...did they upgrade people for free at some point? I thought it was always a $15 upgrade.

Still trying to learn Guy, but now I want to learn Yang.. I feel Yang's mixups/resets and etc are so good but he's got piss poor damage.

I should really only learn one at a time

Septimius

There's a e-sport association in my country that's sending players for four games down to IeSF 2014. The winner of an online tourney will be sent down on their bill. Gonna sign up! The tourney is in six days, so I'll go into overdrive. Only problem is that I have to find a 360-arcade stick, since I only have a PS3 one. But I can practice meanwhile! Might be back to get some sparring partners. I'm excited!

mbpm1

hitting people on wakeup with meaty cr hp buffered into ex tatsu feels so godlike.

Basically focused on trying that out today and it catches a fair amount of people. Obviously it fails against people who DP or Ultra, but when it's blocked Ken flies away so fast that most people don't react. Decent way to punish people for pressing buttons for scrubs like me who don't have the safe hit confirm combos into DP quite yet.

hitsugi

He broke 3k player points in a few hours? I gotta call shenanigans on that one.

BP's easy.

Yeah, maybe it was more like 4 hours? He has 7 hours on record, and 2 of those were in a lobby with me last night. His BP and PP are almost even at 3k-ish. He only plays one character and has since Super. He was also the #1 or #2 Adon in the US on live for the last couple of years. Adon is a scrub killer character, so it's not really hard to believe.

Top Bottom