• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Trickster

Hmm, been beating way higher ranked players than normally. Beaten several players above 2k pp today. Actually managed to get several hundred points higher than my best so far.

GXAcnuW.jpg

Legit how I am feeling currently

Nyoro SF

When this happens I usually attribute it to lag or start thinking I'm godlike and then get destroyed by a 300 pp player.

When it happens I usually run into some whack ass shotos that dash up four times to me and throw. Like it's confirming that I've entered some alternate universe

Trickster

When it happens I usually run into some whack ass shotos that dash up four times to me and throw. Like it's confirming that I've entered some alternate universe

Strangely this doesn't happen to me....I play T.hawk though ^_^

condor spire condor spire condor spire condor spire GRAB

Nyoro SF

This game is immensely fucked up on PC, what have they even been doing since the beta started?

They began work but then were sidetracked by Dead Rising 3 being a clusterfuck. We're waiting for DR3 to untangle itself so they can get back to this game.

I think Capcom hired 2 people to port titles to PC, with one being a secretary.

xCobalt

Hey guys, random question from a scrublet.

Can you plink unique attacks? Does it work that way as well?

Like for example: Guy's Ninja Sickle link after St.HK. Does plinking the Ninja Sickle make the link any easier or does plinking rules not apply to Unique Attacks?

Yup. You can plink anything really. Throws, Ultras, unique attacks, ect. Not sure what the priority of unique attacks are though.

combo looks so cool :O

It definitely does. It works on the whole cast in the corner.

I played a handful of Ranked matches today and had no lag whatsoever. Not sure where this "PC net play sucks" talk is coming from unless you're not in the beta.

No Rolentos this morning either, but I fought an Adon who didn't know how to TK Jaguar Kick.

Yup. You can plink anything really. Throws, Ultras, unique attacks, ect. Not sure what the priority of unique attacks are though.

It definitely does. It works on the whole cast in the corner.

so s.fierce or c.forward into ex stinger into qcb jab or strong x strong for the cool rolento combo :eek:

xCobalt

so s.fierce or c.forward into ex stinger into qcb jab or strong x strong for the cool rolento combo :eek:

From my testing, you have to hit c.forward from max distance or so. Point blank st.hk into cr.mk should leave you at the right distance. I think if the knives hit too high up, there's just not enough frame advantage. The Air Raid has to be the fierce version. The initial roll doesn't seem to matter as long as you cancel it into the attack asap.

Good thing I don't do that...I just ultra on people's wakeup =)

MAN. I just love doing an ultra on somebody else's wakeup. Especially when you know for a fact that they're planning to do every other option they have except block.

If you time that shit just right, its hilarious. Just in time to catch a back dash/crouch tech/reversal

only do it when I got no other choice tho

Onemic

How is it that a dude playing sakura can jab, walk up and throw me before my crouch jab has time to come out. And I know exactly when he's gonna do it too and it always gets beat.

xCobalt

Nemo would've won EVO if he went. I think only a handful of people would be ready for his Rolento.

I really doubt it (then again, if someone said Luffy would win, I would doubt that too). Nemo got away with so many things this past weekend and I feel like the higher caliber players would have less trouble against his Rolento.

mbpm1

MAN. I just love doing an ultra on somebody else's wakeup. Especially when you know for a fact that they're planning to do every other option they have except block.

If you time that shit just right, its hilarious. Just in time to catch a back dash/crouch tech/reversal

only do it when I got no other choice tho

This. I faced two people in a row who refused to stop pressing buttons on wakeup.

Saved it until the last bits of health for the last round, then POW!

Also, in general Balrogs seem to not block. Dem cr. jabs.

How is it that a dude playing sakura can jab, walk up and throw me before my crouch jab has time to come out. And I know exactly when he's gonna do it too and it always gets beat.

She has insane plus frames. Cammy can do this too. Annoying!

hitsugi

Lol.. To speculate on a player's potential performance based on their abilities 2 months after the fact is a little nuts. Just look at Daigo's Evil Ryu now.

Lol.. To speculate on a player's potential performance based on their abilities 2 months after the fact is a little nuts. Just look at Daigo's Evil Ryu now.
I feel he keeps his E. Ryu very efficient. Not necessary simple, but efficient. Lots of other players go for the longest/max damage possible but Daigo keeps it short and simple.

Wait til he works those Kara-demons into his game :banderas:

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Why do people not know how to buffer ultra properly? If youre half screen teabagging the stage like a caffeinated squirrel im not jumping you freak.

Why do people not know how to buffer ultra properly? If youre half screen teabagging the stage like a caffeinated squirrel im not jumping you freak.
I sometimes do that just to get people to stop doing something. I like to show "yeah this is what I'm waiting for" just so you won't jump/throw a fireball/etc. If I'm actually desperate and hoping to hit it, then I hide it in other inputs (jabs, mediums or whatever)

edit: forgot to mention that I mostly use a combination of both. Make it obvious and then use it unexpectedly.

Nyoro SF

whenever I see that I always dash forward, it causes them to panic and stop or to mis-time whatever counter they were looking for.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I guess I can see the merit in doing it to psych someone out. I don't like tipping my opponents off that im thinking about it.

I feel he keeps his E. Ryu very efficient. Not necessary simple, but efficient. Lots of other players go for the longest/max damage possible but Daigo keeps it short and simple.

Since more footage of Daigo's Evil Ryu been coming out I've always see a handful of comments saying Daigo isn't doing optimized combos and that his Evil Ryu isn't as good as Sako or PR Rog's Evil Ryu. It kind of bugs me because these guys have no idea what they're talking about. Daigo doesn't go for those very long FADC combos because he's doing the shorter one that does more stun.

People aren't aware of that and think the other combo does more stun and damage just because it last longer or because that's what every Evil Ryu player does. I'll admit I do it to, but that's because it's more risky going for the max stun combo. You have to FADC earlier and if you miss that link than the damage you dealt is a lot less than screwing up the FADC link with the longer combo. Daigo isn't afraid of that and wants to go for the stun instead.

As for who the best Evil Ryu is. People have to remember that Sako was using Evil Ryu in AE 2012 when he had all those corner set ups. Those are not guaranteed anymore and since USF4 dropped we've probably only seen Sako's Evil Ryu a few times. Hard to say how good it is now. As for PR Rog, he only uses him in certain match ups. He won't hesitate to switch and Balrog is still his go to character in most situations. Unless someone like Machabo is really the best Evil Ryu, I'd have to give it to Daigo easily right now.

alstein

This. I faced two people in a row who refused to stop pressing buttons on wakeup.

Saved it until the last bits of health for the last round, then POW!

Also, in general Balrogs seem to not block. Dem cr. jabs.

She has insane plus frames. Cammy can do this too. Annoying!

It's jabs/shorts in general in SF4- it's one of the flaws of the game- they're too good due to how the game system changed from SF2 to SF4, and the amount you can get off them. It's an area where the SF team was a little short-sighted in its design (but such things are hard to find out in the wild) Most fighting games do have this problem to some degree, it's just most obvious in SF4. I did like how BBEX/CP did something about jab combos by nerfing the damage hard.

hitsugi

No, no.. My point is that Daigo's Evil Ryu has evolved a ton over just the last couple of months, and I was using him as a perfect example of how much a player can improve over that period of time.

As far as I'm concerned, Daigo has completely optimized Evil Ryu - for himself. Anyone saying he isn't going for optimal combos, etc. probably hasn't seen more recent videos. I would put Daigo over what I've last seen from Sako at this point. Not in terms of flash, per se, but in terms of an actual, solid play style that is extremely effective.

From my testing, you have to hit c.forward from max distance or so. Point blank st.hk into cr.mk should leave you at the right distance. I think if the knives hit too high up, there's just not enough frame advantage. The Air Raid has to be the fierce version. The initial roll doesn't seem to matter as long as you cancel it into the attack asap.

i just did c.forward point black ex stinger so that two knives can hit and mash ex air raid and it works! :p

now onto c.fierce into LL loops with chun ri

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Daigo himself said Nemo is the best player right now in his opinion. But then Nemo himself said Daigo is the best player right now and cannot beat him. COLLUSION!

hitsugi

Daigo himself said Nemo is the best player right now in his opinion. But then Nemo himself said Daigo is the best player right now and cannot beat him. COLLUSION!

Was that before or after Nemo allegedly "convincingly" beat Daigo in an FT20?

Such modesty all around

hitsugi

I probably wouldn't even put PR Rog in the running for best E Ryu. He needs to stick to Rog.

I've never seen anyone put his E.Ryu up there. He just picks E.Ryu when he doesn't like the match-up, and we're more likely to see him pick Yun instead soon.

Top Bottom