• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Got a USB encoder for my TvC stick because it wasn't working. Plugged the new 5 pin cable into the joystick, plugged it into the PCB, stick is working, but up and down are reversed. It doesn't seem to let me circumvent it by having down as up and up as down either. What on earth

alstein

So what the hell happened netcode-wise, anyway? Was it the switch over to Steam from GFWL that caused the online performance to go to shit?

Back when I used to play on PC during the GFWL days, the netcode seemed excellent. It was notably better than what I experienced on my PS3. I'd prefer to play this on PC because I feel that PS3 input lag, but I don't wanna pull the trigger if the online is still shit.

I suspect it was due to the change in devs between AE and Ultra, led to shittier netcode on console as well.

Martal

Neo Member
@Martal

My opinion is a bit different. I think you should avoid Ryu and characters that are pure fundamentals. SF4 in general makes it an uphill battle for characters like Ryu. You have to play perfectly when using fireballs since they're quite easy to evade and punish, not to mention his setup game decreased in effectiveness due to DWU. His zoning game has been the same since Super, yet somehow he keeps dropping in the tiers.

This game rewards characters with ambiguous setups, along with those who can constantly put pressure on you and force you to guess between tech'ing throws and pressing no buttons. The footsie characters that ARE rewarded are the ones who have some exceptional tool that allows them to overcome all the things that suppress footsies in this game. A good example is Fei's rekka, Adon's jaguar kick, and so forth.

I'd recommend learning Cammy. You'll get a better feel for learning how to consistently hit-confirm, how to cross-up, how to setup dive kicks, and how to AA.

Thanks for stn, this really opened my eyes. Since I've had SF4 for a fair while now, I've of course tried to play online before and I did use Ryu. Yesterday I gave it a go with Cammy and its a whole different game. Much more active and fun.
The only thing I had to get over is that it would take me a while to get some of these moves to come out on a pad :D

mbpm1

How does one escape Fuerte's bullshit?
Particularly his command grab on wakeup.

he can't grab you if you're airborn, so backdash or jump.

He also can't grab you if you do a grab invincble move, so a lot of reversals, burn kicks, oni's air stomp, etc.

Since you're presumably playing cody though, your options are limited to just backdash or jump.

hypernima

Banned
he can't grab you if you're airborn, so backdash or jump.

He also can't grab you if you do a grab invincble move, so a lot of reversals, burn kicks, oni's air stomp, etc.

Since you're presumably playing cody though, your options are limited to just backdash or jump.

Poison atm

Decided to finally upgrade my steam version to ultra. Anyone live in Texas or near there? I sadly have to play on wifi since I moved recently to Austin and searching for games I mostly run into yellow bars. Hit me up on steam simsiriphanh if you want to play. Hopefully it connects fine.

hitsugi

Ugh where's the PC crew at? I've been having so-so games while waiting on next month's patch. Nearing 3k finally, but I've had to switch over to Akuma for salty runbacks because Evil Ryu still feels too stiff for me.

Ugh where's the PC crew at? I've been having so-so games while waiting on next month's patch. Nearing 3k finally, but I've had to switch over to Akuma for salty runbacks because Evil Ryu still feels too stiff for me.

I just got my stick fixed, so I can play. Connection will probably still be gross without the patch though.

And I just switched to Akuma for Evil Ryu too. Felt like I wasn't advancing as him anymore and I'm bored of watching him, but no idea how long I'll stick with Akuma either.

I wish I've had a chance to play you(and others) since I like the Evil Ryu mirror. Just don't have time with work on the weekdays and hanging out with friends on the weekend. I only play about 2-3 times a week and it's normally really late at night around 2-3 AM EST. So yeah, I'm probably not available when most people are.

alstein

I play most days, but at weird times. I just don't play long sets all that much due to lack of interest/energy.

If KOF98UM is good and has players I'll drop SF4 for a good while though in November.

av2k

I honestly haven't started playing again since I heard of the PC Ultra issues. Did they patch this yet?

If so, I'd be glad to play you even though I'm not that great.

hitsugi

Gimme Steam IDs and I'll send requests :D

I play sporadically because I don't enjoy the grind very much, at least not while connectivity is spotty. Most of the time it's after work or sometimes I'll get in a morning grind on a weekend before attending other activities.

I know everyone's pretty much waiting the patch out, but when I play against people I know, I really don't care if the stutter kicks in. However, that tip alstein gave about limiting your pings to 250 may also help in games where both people do it.

I wish I've had a chance to play you(and others) since I like the Evil Ryu mirror. Just don't have time with work on the weekdays and hanging out with friends on the weekend. I only play about 2-3 times a week and it's normally really late at night around 2-3 AM EST. So yeah, I'm probably not available when most people are.

I enjoy the Evil Ryu mirror as well. 2-3 AM EST is a bit late, even for me being PST unless it's a weekend. If you happen to see me on though, do send me an invite - I almost never idle on Steam so if I'm on, I'm most likely actually there.

Also, onemic - I'm going to hit you up with some other steps to attempt for that laptop later tonight.

Nyoro SF

Good ole hate mail.

Getting called terrible when he lost 3 straight times and choked twice.

oh well

Deejay is a salt generator. Hee hee

On topic I fought a Yang at locals and had no idea how to fight this guy. The improved walk speed makes fighting him as Fei a lot tougher than before, now that he can dance outside of dangerous ranges and threaten with neutral jump.

kirblar

Only looking forward to Omega mode, has there been any new vids since last week?
Nope, I expect it to launch closer to CapCup so they can hype it/do an exhibition there. Hopefully we get Combofiend character vids for it- the ones for USF4 were really nice.

stn

Is that + Rolento changes going to be on October patch or next patch?

Rolento with his old buffs might be top 5 in the game since people are learning how to use current Rolento.
Neither character is being reverted to its pre-console release version. Just the "accidental" nerfs or whatever they're called are being removed. But yeah, shame I never got to play that version of Rolento. Would have been perfect for my playstyle. I love the character still but its annoying as hell when my buttons don't work like they're supposed to. Top 10 to bottom 10 in one patch.

alstein

Neither character is being reverted to its pre-console release version. Just the "accidental" nerfs or whatever they're called are being removed. But yeah, shame I never got to play that version of Rolento. Would have been perfect for my playstyle. I love the character still but its annoying as hell when my buttons don't work like they're supposed to. Top 10 to bottom 10 in one patch.

On PC the accidental nerfs got reverted shortly after release I think. And Rolento isn't bottom 10, he's at least mid tier.

Have they done anything to the PC version?

I haven't played the game in weeks.

Nothing since PC beta, but patch to fix netcode really soon. Beta netcode is good if you avoid big lobbies and voice chat spammers (which also wreck console netcode)

stn

On PC the accidental nerfs got reverted shortly after release I think. And Rolento isn't bottom 10, he's at least mid tier.
Well, here's my take on it. I think he's bottom 10 because he lacks most of the things that make a strong character in this game. Oki is the strongest form of offense in this game and he has almost zero defensive options to counter it (except ultra). His backdash is average at best, he has no invincible reversals, and overall he's very weak to pressure. Of course, his worst matchups are mostly composed of dive-kickers and mix-up beasts.

Next, his offensive arsenal. His pokes are quite average. His st. fp tends to whiff the second hit, thus making him very susceptible to focus attacks. His AA options aren't consistent enough to make up for his shitty defense. I think its a legitimate strategy for certain characters to just keep jumping at him until it works. His specials are not true blockstrings and can be reversed. Once you knock him down you have no reason to do anything other than walk up and start a new block string.

Nemo is the only guy making the character work, but I think he's just an exceptional player. Kind of like when Snake Eyes came on the HDR scene with Zangief out of nowhere and we were all wow'ed by it. I haven't seen anyone else master the "hectic" playstyle that Nemo has, its just insane how he constantly guesses right on all of his rolls, jump-ins, and so forth. If he were to try playing Rolento as a grounded character I think his game would suffer.

I have a pretty solid Rolento in SFxT, enough to be very competitive against the stronger players online. I tried the same playstyle and got bopped in SF4, while all my shit was working in SFxT. His pokes are noticeably worse.

I'm curious to hear your side, let me know what you think!

alstein

Well, here's my take on it. I think he's bottom 10 because he lacks most of the things that make a strong character in this game. Oki is the strongest form of offense in this game and he has almost zero defensive options to counter it (except ultra). His backdash is average at best, he has no invincible reversals, and overall he's very weak to pressure. Of course, his worst matchups are mostly composed of dive-kickers and mix-up beasts.

Next, his offensive arsenal. His pokes are quite average. His st. fp tends to whiff the second hit, thus making him very susceptible to focus attacks. His AA options aren't consistent enough to make up for his shitty defense. I think its a legitimate strategy for certain characters to just keep jumping at him until it works. His specials are not true blockstrings and can be reversed. Once you knock him down you have no reason to do anything other than walk up and start a new block string.

I'm curious to hear your side, let me know what you think!

He is weak to pressure, but folks who try to mix him up risk having his escape. I think Rolento is just super weird in this, lots of weird stuff that makes up for his problems in other areas. He's kinda Gouken-tier to me in that it's a different game against him. He's just hard to figure out where he is right now.

kasane

wooooooo been a while since i felt genuine fun with a game.

Haven't played sf4 since i moved since im an only arcade guy but i genuinely feel myself improving and having fun

Top Bottom