• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

cHaotix8

When I'm OSing a s.lk>lp green hand with Gief how on earth do I do it so the green hand doesn't come out if the lk whiffs?

Anyone have any clue?

Make sure you aren't holding the lp down too long when you're doing the dp motion or else you'll get negative edge green hand. That's

Onemic

i think onemic is trying to justify his sfu4 ps3 purchase! PC shit pile is still better than PS3 fecal mountain!

search your heart, you know it to be true!

the purchase was...necessary.

It's probably because I've barely touched the PS3 version since it came out on PC, but I just feel like I'd rather take consistent lag over extremely bad random lag spikes. I can at least adjust to something that's consistent vs something that will pop out when you least expect it....every 20 or so seconds.

alstein

the purchase was...necessary.

It's probably because I've barely touched the PS3 version since it came out on PC, but I just feel like I'd rather take consistent lag over extremely bad random lag spikes. I can at least adjust to something that's consistent vs something that will pop out when you least expect it....every 20 or so seconds.

Have you tried turning down your pings on Steam? That took out almost all of the PC lag spikes when the people I played with did it.

This is going to be fixed in the next patch.

hitsugi

Endless is not better than Ranked on PC. The netcode doesn't magically change - it's just by chance that you're experiencing a smoother connection.

Nyoro SF

I'm done complaining because Capcom said they were going to fix it, I'm just going to play other games in the meanwhile until it's all set.

hitsugi

I'm done complaining because Capcom said they were going to fix it, I'm just going to play other games in the meanwhile until it's all set.

Exactly. It's been acknowledged, they said they're going to fix it, and we even know what the fix is... So there's really no point in discussing it further until it's patched.

alstein

How do you do this?

Steam/Settings/in-game/max pings per minute.

Set to 250 lowest value. That cuts down on it heavily.

If I play someone else who has done this, and has a solid enough connection, it's very good. Even Cross-Country is playable this way for me, though there is some lag due to it being cross-country with SF4 netcode.

ScOULaris

So what the hell happened netcode-wise, anyway? Was it the switch over to Steam from GFWL that caused the online performance to go to shit?

Back when I used to play on PC during the GFWL days, the netcode seemed excellent. It was notably better than what I experienced on my PS3. I'd prefer to play this on PC because I feel that PS3 input lag, but I don't wanna pull the trigger if the online is still shit.

So what the hell happened netcode-wise, anyway? Was it the switch over to Steam from GFWL that caused the online performance to go to shit?

Back when I used to play on PC during the GFWL days, the netcode seemed excellent. It was notably better than what I experienced on my PS3. I'd prefer to play this on PC because I feel that PS3 input lag, but I don't wanna pull the trigger if the online is still shit.

people overlooked the fact that Microsoft were good at this sorta thing (network stability and interaction). they were blinded by the fact that microsoft tends to shit the bed in every other aspect in terms of greed, and blinded by Gabe's alluring personality to realize Valve rarely gives a shit about supporting games that don't have their logo (just like any other company).

i should know, that was me!

gutabo

When I'm OSing a s.lk>lp green hand with Gief how on earth do I do it so the green hand doesn't come out if the lk whiffs?

Anyone have any clue?

Hold the punch buttons for a lil bit after the kick is over so that negative edge doesn't activate green hand.

EDIT: Damn, I had this window open for a bit and Marz's message was the last one... LOL gotta remember to refresh before posting...

TheShah

Anyone know how to get the memory/reload function working in training mode for PC? Can't get the back/select on my stick to work.

Onemic

Anyone had an issue in USF4 PC with fightsticks being detected by the game, but the game wont read any inputs from the stick? Trying to get my joystick to work on my laptop and the game refuses to read any inputs from my joystick even though I see it in the button config

hitsugi

Anyone had an issue in USF4 PC with fightsticks being detected by the game, but the game wont read any inputs from the stick? Trying to get my joystick to work on my laptop and the game refuses to read any inputs from my joystick even though I see it in the button config

Is it a PS3 stick? Some of them have pretty well-documented issues with certain chipsets. I have a PS3 round 2 stick that gets picked up but is completely worthless for me.

kiaaa

Endless is not better than Ranked on PC. The netcode doesn't magically change - it's just by chance that you're experiencing a smoother connection.

The issue is that ranked constantly pings people for matchmaking.

That doesn't exist in private endless and it's extremely minimal in public endless.

Onemic

Is it a PS3 stick? Some of them have pretty well-documented issues with certain chipsets. I have a PS3 round 2 stick that gets picked up but is completely worthless for me.

ya its PS3. Thing is, it works perfectly on my desktop. Just not my laptop, even though the game and windows recognizes it

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I only play on PC. I haven't touched regular consoles in ages.

Each PC is different and PS3 sticks are a hit and miss on whether it'll work. Your PC has to have certain drivers or whether it is compatible with the drivers the stick automatically installs.

hitsugi

ya its PS3. Thing is, it works perfectly on my desktop. Just not my laptop, even though the game and windows recognizes it

To give a more technical answer:

While it does work on your desktop, it's a chipset compatibility issue based on the motherboard. It seems to be more of an issue with Intel-based chipsets. There are some workarounds for it on desktops by using a PCI usb hub, but I'm not sure about laptops.

My PC did the same thing with my PS3 TE - picked it up as a Mad Catz TE stick, etc.. even shows that's connected in USF4, but nothing worked. You could try installing the default Windows controller driver in place of what yours automatically picks up. That's the workaround for Round 1 sticks and worked for my Round 2. If you need any help, let me know.

Onemic

My PC did the same thing with my PS3 TE - picked it up as a Mad Catz TE stick, etc.. even shows that's connected in USF4, but nothing worked. You could try installing the default Windows controller driver in place of what yours automatically picks up. That's the workaround for Round 1 sticks and worked for my Round 2. If you need any help, let me know.

how do you do this?

Martal

Neo Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with this at all.
I love fighting games. I must admit SF4 is not my favorite, but it IS the one with the largest following. So my question is this : How to have fun with it?
I go online and I dont feel like its an interesting battle, but that Im just getting trounced and I have no chance.
Could you guys suggest some basic chars, basic strats so that I could stand a bit more of a chance?

I got 2 messages today that continue to add to my wonder of how some people approach this game. "All you do is the same combo", well yeah, if your going to keep doing the same unsafe shit over and over, I'm going to go for my max damage punish every time. "All you do is jump in scrub" Then anti-air me! If your going to let me jump in and pressure you uncontested, why the hell would I stop? And both of these guys weren't beginners, they had 5000-6000 bp, so I'd assume they understand the fundamentals.

I love fighting games. I must admit SF4 is not my favorite, but it IS the one with the largest following. So my question is this : How to have fun with it?
I go online and I dont feel like its an interesting battle, but that Im just getting trounced and I have no chance.
Could you guys suggest some basic chars, basic strats so that I could stand a bit more of a chance?

My advice, pick a character you like, based on look or just how they feel. Imo its better to start with the character that appeals to you the most(with the exception of viper and maybe fuerte, the execution barrier for both those characters is a little much for people starting out) But if you just want a basic character Ryu and Guile are good choices. Go to the shoryuken forums and read up on that character, watch some matches of that character to get an idea of what you should be doing with them, then practice. Practice fundamentals (blocking, anti-airing, teching throws, punishes, that kind of stuff), and bnb combos, don't bother trying to do the crazy stuff right off the bat. Then practice some more.

Or play Yun.

cHaotix8

Pick Ryu. Learn how to anti air (His best one is MP shoryuken) whenever someone jumps at you. Until you can stop people from jumping all over you, you're going to have trouble getting wins consistently.

Obviously, the game is only enjoyable if you're playing character that is fun for you. Figure out who you like and go from there. LEARN THEIR ANTI AIR MOVES!!

Robot Pants

I got 2 messages today that continue to add to my wonder of how some people approach this game. "All you do is the same combo", well yeah, if your going to keep doing the same unsafe shit over and over, I'm going to go for my max damage punish every time. "All you do is jump in scrub" Then anti-air me! If your going to let me jump in and pressure you uncontested, why the hell would I stop? And both of these guys weren't beginners, they had 5000-6000 bp, so I'd assume they understand the fundamentals.

My advice, pick a character you like, based on look or just how they feel. Imo its better to start with the character that appeals to you the most(with the exception of viper and maybe fuerte, the execution barrier for both those characters is a little much for people starting out) But if you just want a basic character Ryu and Guile are good choices. Go to the shoryuken forums and read up on that character, watch some matches of that character to get an idea of what you should be doing with them, then practice. Practice fundamentals (blocking, anti-airing, teching throws, punishes, that kind of stuff), and bnb combos, don't bother trying to do the crazy stuff right off the bat. Then practice some more.

Or play Yun.

yun isnt quiiiite as easy as most people make him out to be. But this is all sound advice. Start with Ryu, move up from there.

stn

@Martal

My opinion is a bit different. I think you should avoid Ryu and characters that are pure fundamentals. SF4 in general makes it an uphill battle for characters like Ryu. You have to play perfectly when using fireballs since they're quite easy to evade and punish, not to mention his setup game decreased in effectiveness due to DWU. His zoning game has been the same since Super, yet somehow he keeps dropping in the tiers.

This game rewards characters with ambiguous setups, along with those who can constantly put pressure on you and force you to guess between tech'ing throws and pressing no buttons. The footsie characters that ARE rewarded are the ones who have some exceptional tool that allows them to overcome all the things that suppress footsies in this game. A good example is Fei's rekka, Adon's jaguar kick, and so forth.

I'd recommend learning Cammy. You'll get a better feel for learning how to consistently hit-confirm, how to cross-up, how to setup dive kicks, and how to AA.

Marz

@Martal

My opinion is a bit different. I think you should avoid Ryu and characters that are pure fundamentals. SF4 in general makes it an uphill battle for characters like Ryu. You have to play perfectly when using fireballs since they're quite easy to evade and punish, not to mention his setup game decreased in effectiveness due to DWU. His zoning game has been the same since Super, yet somehow he keeps dropping in the tiers.

This game rewards characters with ambiguous setups, along with those who can constantly put pressure on you and force you to guess between tech'ing throws and pressing no buttons. The footsie characters that ARE rewarded are the ones who have some exceptional tool that allows them to overcome all the things that suppress footsies in this game. A good example is Fei's rekka, Adon's jaguar kick, and so forth.

I'd recommend learning Cammy. You'll get a better feel for learning how to consistently hit-confirm, how to cross-up, how to setup dive kicks, and how to AA.

Beautiful post.

The constant stream of "Yun so easy" is lame. The +1 on lunge punch was completely unnecessary and he didn't need the mp damage buffs, but he still has crap health and no safe reversal. Bad Yuns aren't a threat, unlike the previous "easy win" characters.

I would suggest Fei Long over Cammy, because while he's not difficult to play, you won't develop bad habits like random Spiral Arrow, and he has more stamina to work with. But, whichever one you prefer.

Ryu is a good starter character, but Guile teaches how to play from a defensive position, Guile is a better character to learn for a rookie, as a rookie you won't be able to handle the onslaught from the get go, Guile teaches defense while being able to play offense, this is just my opinion..

Onemic

Open up device manager, then click: locate the controller -> update driver -> browse -> let me pick..

From here, there should be a short list of drivers. Install the HID-compliant game controller.

Checked my device manager and my stick already shows up as HID compliant game controller. updated it anyway, and it still doesnt work :(

The constant stream of "Yun so easy" is lame. The +1 on lunge punch was completely unnecessary and he didn't need the mp damage buffs, but he still has crap health and no safe reversal. Bad Yuns aren't a threat, unlike the previous "easy win" characters.

I would suggest Fei Long over Cammy, because while he's not difficult to play, you won't develop bad habits like random Spiral Arrow, and he has more stamina to work with. But, whichever one you prefer.

I wouldnt agree that fei isnt difficult to play. Theres a reason why hes one of the least used characters in the game even though hes top tier.

Top Bottom