• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

How the heck do I fight a Honda ; ~ ; People say he's bad but I cannot break through his defense...

Who's your character again? I don't remember so that would really help give us a idea on how to advise you.

Looking through my own record against all 44 characters, Honda is near the bottom of characters I struggle the most against(despite my character having the advantage). But that's mainly due to the fact that the percentage of Honda's I face in ranked are intermediate level players or higher.

Myn

Who's your character again? I don't remember so that would really help give us a idea on how to advise you.

Looking through my own record against all 44 characters, Honda is near the bottom of characters I struggle the most against(despite my character having the advantage). But that's mainly due to the fact that the percentage of Honda's I face in ranked are intermediate level players or higher.

Oh! Sorry, I'm a boring ol' Ryu. :(

I usually avoid giving advice because I never feel like I'm qualified to. But here are some things I can point out for you since I use to main Ryu and now main Evil Ryu who has a pretty similar gameplan in this match up

Gonna have to rewrite this. For some reason I was watching PR Rog's stream and wrote up stuff about Rog instead of Honda.

-You have a fireball so you control the match up. Throw them from safe distances and force him to approach you and anti-air accordingly. You have to know the ranges though as they might empty jump. SRK when they're closer and far HK from further away.

-EX headbutt is now a easy punish since it has almost no push back. If you block it, make him pay for it. Hit the lab and find out what your best punish it and remember to use that.

-If you knock Honda down his wake up is pretty weak now. His EX headbutt is easy to safe jump without needing super strict timing. Try to exploit this aspect of his game. If he's just willing to block, maybe you can start sneaking in cross up tatsu or overheads to get a little bit of damage.

-I think cr. HP might be a good button to use against Honda's who spam butt slam. I know Evil Ryu, Akuma, and Oni's version is great against it, not sure about Ryu/Ken though.

Hopefully that helps a little. I'm not too great at that match up either. Lame Honda's can drive my patience even if I have the lead lol.

hitsugi

Had some OK games with Rice. Sorry I was already a couple of glasses of bourbon in but I really like the evil Ryu mirror. I'd like to try some other chars against you so hit me up any time! My buddy also sent his regards

All the Topanga vids are gone:(

I figured this was going to happen. That sucks since I wanted to see the latest match ups.

Had some OK games with Rice. Sorry I was already a couple of glasses of bourbon in but I really like the evil Ryu mirror. I'd like to try some other chars against you so hit me up any time! My buddy also sent his regards

I accepted, playing Yun in the lag was mad hard. I couldn't even throw out a jab after a blocked dive kick that hit low. He just throwing me out every time. I hope the patch next month does the job because it was just too hard to hit those Evil Ryu combos in that lag.

hitsugi

I figured this was going to happen. That sucks since I wanted to see the latest match ups.

I accepted, playing Yun in the lag was mad hard. I couldn't even throw out a jab after a blocked dive kick that hit low. He just throwing me out every time. I hope the patch next month does the job because it was just too hard to hit those Evil Ryu combos in that lag.

It's all good man. None of us landed anything worth while tonight. Still GGs

GGs to Myn as well tonight although I had significantly more bourbon in me as the night went on x.x

Myn

I usually avoid giving advice because I never feel like I'm qualified to. But here are some things I can point out for you since I use to main Ryu and now main Evil Ryu who has a pretty similar gameplan in this match up

Gonna have to rewrite this. For some reason I was watching PR Rog's stream and wrote up stuff about Rog instead of Honda.

-You have a fireball so you control the match up. Throw them from safe distances and force him to approach you and anti-air accordingly. You have to know the ranges though as they might empty jump. SRK when they're closer and far HK from further away.

-EX headbutt is now a easy punish since it has almost no push back. If you block it, make him pay for it. Hit the lab and find out what your best punish it and remember to use that.

-If you knock Honda down his wake up is pretty weak now. His EX headbutt is easy to safe jump without needing super strict timing. Try to exploit this aspect of his game. If he's just willing to block, maybe you can start sneaking in cross up tatsu or overheads to get a little bit of damage.

-I think cr. HP might be a good button to use against Honda's who spam butt slam. I know Evil Ryu, Akuma, and Oni's version is great against it, not sure about Ryu/Ken though.

Hopefully that helps a little. I'm not too great at that match up either. Lame Honda's can drive my patience even if I have the lead lol.

Thanks for this. I'll keep these in mind, my AA game is really weak in general, all I really do is shoryu or air-to-air but Honda always manage to stub me out. I think that might be the root of my problems with that matchup because the one I play gets a lot of free jump-ins.

GGs to Myn as well tonight although I had significantly more bourbon in me as the night went on x.x

Yeah! Shoutouts to ruined sleep schedules. We got Gief'd.

alstein

Why are you trying to break through his defense? Best thing you can do is zone him out effectively.
stand RH is a great AA vs Honda. The big thing you have to watch out for are headbutts to get him.
Honda needs to come to you in the matchup unless you end up way behind. Do be careful when he has super (his Ultra for going through FBs sucks donkey balls, and his U2 is just as bad, Honda ultras don't exist)

If you do get a knockdown, crossups are free on Honda. He can't do anything about safe jumps.

I think it's a 7-3 matchup now in Ryu's favor.

Meteorain

I need some advice on how to deal with Vega's wall jump shenanigans. I only seem to be able to catch him out like 25% of the time when he starts going a bit nuts.

I've heard cr.HP as he's just above you is supposed to work?

mbpm1

Today I learned that since I'm halfway between a scrub and a decent player I can make people make bad reads just because of messing up my inputs lol

I need some advice on how to deal with Vega's wall jump shenanigans. I only seem to be able to catch him out like 25% of the time when he starts going a bit nuts.

I've heard cr.HP as he's just above you is supposed to work?

Who are you playing? With shotos I find success by buffering from down forward to down back repeatedly and letting it rip as he's about to hit you. The DP comes out no matter what and seems to autocorrect a decent amount of times.

Meteorain

Who are you playing? With shotos I find success by buffering from down forward to down back repeatedly and letting it rip as he's about to hit you. The DP comes out no matter what and seems to autocorrect a decent amount of times.

Ken.

I tried some preemp DP's but they failed mostly, but I will try this.

mbpm1

Ken.

I tried some preemp DP's but they failed mostly, but I will try this.

I also play Ken. Do not use heavy DP for this, it will always come out too horizontally. Light DP also seems wonky because it trades a lot if not done with good timing. MP DP does the job best I think.

Additional general notes for the wall dive in neutral situations, when Vega wall dives usually they try for the ambiguous crossup situation. This can be beaten if you move out of the way so that it becomes no longer ambiguous. So reacting to wall dives with things like forward dashes, back dashes, or occasional jumps back or forward screw up his spacing and let you block them easier, which leads to an easy punish because he has a pretty long recovery on block. Even things like tatsus or Kens'f forward MK or HK can ruin his day, if used sparingly.

If he leaps off his wall (the one away from you) you can also try to air to-air, but use this sparingly because his claw attack has good range in the air too and it can be dangerous. If he leaps off your wall (the one at your back) never try this because he'll be right above you and you will probably not even be able to hit him.

Finally you can always try to focus his claw, and if he lands in front it's an easy crumple into punish. If not, dashing out of the focus will probably still leave you time to punish or at least start pressure. However he can also start throwing you out of it so be careful with abusing this too. And his EX wall dive will beat it because it has two hits when he attacks anyway.

Meteorain

I also play Ken. Do not use heavy DP for this, it will always come out too horizontally. Light DP also seems wonky because it trades a lot if not done with good timing. MP DP does the job best I think.

Additional general notes for the wall dive in neutral situations, when Vega wall dives usually they try for the ambiguous crossup situation. This can be beaten if you move out of the way so that it becomes no longer ambiguous. So reacting to wall dives with things like forward dashes, back dashes, or occasional jumps back or forward screw up his spacing and let you block them easier, which leads to an easy punish because he has a pretty long recovery on block. Even things like tatsus or Kens'f forward MK or HK can ruin his day, if used sparingly.

If he leaps off his wall (the one away from you) you can also try to air to-air, but use this sparingly because his claw attack has good range in the air too and it can be dangerous. If he leaps off your wall (the one at your back) never try this because he'll be right above you and you will probably not even be able to hit him.

Finally you can always try to focus his claw, and if he lands in front it's an easy crumple into punish. If not, dashing out of the focus will probably still leave you time to punish or at least start pressure. However he can also start throwing you out of it so be careful with abusing this too. And his EX wall dive will beat it because it has two hits when he attacks anyway.

Yea I had noticed on some streams and vids that dashing seemed to pretty much be an easy fix to not get hit. It was effective, but I didn't just want to let him make me run away!

A few jump back fierce punches got him a few times which was nice, but could not be used all the time.

Thanks for the advice though, I will try to get some M.DP's on him.

mbpm1

Speaking of Dudley I got killed yesterday by one of the mixups I saw in that Smug video.

I was air reset in the corner and he did the ducking move and I blocked the other way. Then I realized "WAIT I SAW THIS IN THAT VIDEO" but it was too late. Damn.

Martal

Neo Member
If anyone is looking for fights on Xbox, Im in Europe, pretty bad but getting better, GT - ProperUniform47.
Im on most night between 6pm GMT - 10 GMT

Speaking of Dudley I got killed yesterday by one of the mixups I saw in that Smug video.

I was air reset in the corner and he did the ducking move and I blocked the other way. Then I realized "WAIT I SAW THIS IN THAT VIDEO" but it was too late. Damn.

image.php

I was playing this Ibuki earlier, I beat him maybe.. 10+ times straight with my Elena then he went to Deejay and I was like

3816676-0704928121-36645.gif

WcRDgDn.png

I just envisioned that when we played we would take turns doing all these bad ass FADC combos on each other. Probably dropping half of them but at least their would be some. But the connection was like "Nope". So that was kind of disappointing. Funny thing is that I have another Evil Ryu player on my friends list and he's from the Netherlands and the connection is actually a little better and he hardly drops any combos. It amazes me how good his execution is in that condition.

hitsugi

I just envisioned that when we played we would take turns doing all these bad ass FADC combos on each other. Probably dropping half of them but at least their would be some. But the connection was like "Nope". So that was kind of disappointing. Funny thing is that I have another Evil Ryu player on my friends list and he's from the Netherlands and the connection is actually a little better and he hardly drops any combos. It amazes me how good his execution is in that condition.

There are good and bad nights - I wouldn't base it off of the limited games we played :D perhaps next time will shape up better. I honestly didn't even know I was playing you until I saw you picked Evil Ryu and did a double take at your name - I was a bit out of it.

My friend and I usually have rock solid connection and he lives about 8 miles from me - but we weren't getting anything going either.

mbpm1

Far MP. In the past hour i've used it to stuff ex chicken wings, stuff condor spire spam, whiff punish Dudley's Heavy buttons into sweep for knockdown, stuff baited shoulders, anti-air...

I'm in love with this button for Ken

hitsugi

Hitsugi, do you have any other ways to getting my stick to work on my laptop?

I actually meant to ask you a couple of things first:

1. Does the light on your stick go on when plugged in?

2. Which stick exactly do you have? Round 1 TE, round 2, fight stick, etc..

Onemic

I actually meant to ask you a couple of things first:

1. Does the light on your stick go on when plugged in?

2. Which stick exactly do you have? Round 1 TE, round 2, fight stick, etc..

It never goes on. Even when its connected to my desktop and it works there. It only goes on when connected to my PS3.

I have the HORI UMvC3 stick. It's just an HRAP4 with UMvC3 art.

hitsugi

It never goes on. Even when its connected to my desktop and it works there. It only goes on when connected to my PS3.

I have the HORI UMvC3 stick. It's just an HRAP4 with UMvC3 art.

This whole time I was just assuming you were using a MadCatz stick because I hadn't heard of issues with Hori sticks. My mistake. Based on some reading, this is an entirely different case based on a different set of PCBs, then. It doesn't look like anyone got HRAP sticks (3 or 4) to work on 64-bit Windows laptops. This driver seems to work on 32-bit installations:

http://perso.numericable.fr/geraud/fs3drv-0.4.zip

Directions are included.

Otherwise, the last thing I would suggest is the DS3Tool, which is what I use to use my PS3 pads on Steam games, etc.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

Onemic

This whole time I was just assuming you were using a MadCatz stick because I hadn't heard of issues with Hori sticks. My mistake. Based on some reading, this is an entirely different case based on a different set of PCBs, then. It doesn't look like anyone got HRAP sticks (3 or 4) to work on 64-bit Windows laptops. This driver seems to work on 32-bit installations:

http://perso.numericable.fr/geraud/fs3drv-0.4.zip

Directions are included.

Otherwise, the last thing I would suggest is the DS3Tool, which is what I use to use my PS3 pads on Steam games, etc.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

Thanks, I'll try this when I get back home

hitsugi

Errr...dont use motioninjoy, just as a very last case...

If you're going to say something like this, you should at least educate people.

I'd forgotten about the later versions of MotionJoy, and thus, didn't specify to go for an older version due to the fact that later versions of their software are sketchy at best - the driver itself still good, though and is necessary for use with the superior software alternative - http://betterds3.ciebiera.net/

SO, for that effort what you need is this - http://www.mediafire.com/?dj5hk15m7a1dd84 (MotionJoy driver)

and then BetterDS3. It's still very straight forward.

Top Bottom