• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Like I said about Fuerte.

Take everything you've learned about Street Fighter and toss it out the window and get ready for some carnage.

I say the same for Viper tbh.

My friend gets mad at Elena for not being traditional enough too.

alstein

Is there anyone who is legitimately convinced that El Fuerte is a true Street Fighter character? I'm watching some TFC matches with Pepeday slaughtering everyone. Every match has Fuerte's opponent jumping around like crazy trying to land a knockdown. It just looks so "hectic" and I don't quite like the fact that the character forces every character out of his element.

This whole trend of speedy characters who negate footsies and zoning is worrisome to me, I hope this crap never touches SF again. I get he's a fun character to play and he can create hype moments very well, I just think his existence is bad for the franchise. I like to watch tense matches where both players are itching to land that first jump. Not a match where jumping is done 99% of the time.

I would actually be fine with Fuerte and air-borne characters if they could actually be kept out for a whole round with the right type of zoning. But they can't. Even Vega, for all his walldive bullshit in ST, could be zoned with the right amount of patience.

Yeah, I'd like to see anime game crap kept out of SF. Ibuki to me is much the same way.

That said, I use chars that don't jump much vs Fuerte so it's less of an issue.

mbpm1

Eh.

At this point Street Fighter of now is already different. Playing "proper" SF with characters like Viper and Fuerte was already tough in previous versions. As well as the vortex characters like Akuma and Ibuki, and the "can you really anti-air me" characters of Rufus and Cammy.

As an aside, I think that's why I think the Snake-Eyez vs Pepedey exhibition was so interesting. Snake-Eyez, the HDR veteran, who dominates every matchup with old school SF fundamentals, vs Pepedey, who freely admits that Fuerte turns the game into kusoge like marvel but still enjoys it nonetheless. The whole match was Snake-Eyez trying his best to impose "Street Fighter" on this crazy character while Pepedey was trying his best to run his gambling mixup game on him. It says something that only really unorthodox characters like Decapre were able to pose a challenge to him this whole weekend too.

Robot Pants

somethign went wrong with me. i've been on a 30+ game losing streak
Check your internet for a bad nat type. This happened to me I lost thousands of PP and BP and it just felt like I forgot everything about the game and I was brand new. Things weren't connecting. I was gettin mashed out of shit. It was unbelievable. Found out my nat was fucked. Been fine since I fixed it.
Or you could be tired and just playing for too long

And Fuerte is a cool idea but he needs to be toned down. Needs more recovery on his retarded EX air reversal. If he has uktra 2 in the corner and an ex bar how do I apply pressure on wake up? I'm either gonna eat the ultra or I'm gonna get reversaled in the air trying to jump away.
He's just annoying, and yet Seth gets nerfed into oblivion.

kirblar

A little bit more recovery on EX Guac and easier punishes on Q-Bomb are both nerfs I expect in USF4 v2. EX Guac->U2 on landing is just diiiirty.

vg260

I'm not just skeptical, I think it might make things worse.

Your average player won't recognize when massive input delay allows them to get away with something.
The PC lobby fix- I've seen that fix already with VF5FS, it isn't a good fix.

Eek. What could it have been that changed from GFWL to Steam that went so wrong?

alstein

Eek. What could it have been that changed from GFWL to Steam that went so wrong?

I suspect it was a combo of the additional pinging Steam does compared to consoles, and general online downgrades between AE and Ultra, as console netcode was also degraded.

K.Sabot

The changes:

- people can't join if the host is in a fight

- you can't ping as many people if you cancel a lobby search (seems like preventing finding specific lobbies) Quoted: "econd, Capcom will be limited the amount of connections a player can keep open after canceling their game search, reducing the number of competitors being pinged."

- increased max acceptable delay

All of those changes seem to be working around the problem the PC version currently has.

Fraeon

I love when there's a new champ, people come out of the woodwork to complain about their character "not being a Street Fighter character" or the character being overpowered in general. Each iteration of SF has been pretty different as far as the neutral game goes and I don't really see anything too bad in El Fuerte (save for his animations making him look like a Looney Tunes character, which makes me refuse to play him).

Just don't feel like there's anything to worry about yet. Pepeday is destroying but I also feel that people had been sleeping on Fuerte.

Onemic

I love when there's a new champ, people come out of the woodwork to complain about their character "not being a Street Fighter character" or the character being overpowered in general. Each iteration of SF has been pretty different as far as the neutral game goes and I don't really see anything too bad in El Fuerte (save for his animations making him look like a Looney Tunes character, which makes me refuse to play him).

Just don't feel like there's anything to worry about yet. Pepeday is destroying but I also feel that people had been sleeping on Fuerte.

People always said Elf wasnt a real SF character, all the way back in vanilla

Robot Pants

Yea true maybe. Also in the same way Poongkos Seth blew everyone up was because no one had any real experience with him. The same may be going on with Fuerte right now and a lot of us just now have to figure out how to deal with him. After that won't be so bad. Still needs more recovery on EX guac though

cackhyena

The changes:

- people can't join if the host is in a fight

- you can't ping as many people if you cancel a lobby search (seems like preventing finding specific lobbies) Quoted: "econd, Capcom will be limited the amount of connections a player can keep open after canceling their game search, reducing the number of competitors being pinged."

- increased max acceptable delay

All of those changes seem to be working around the problem the PC version currently has.
Huh. Thought they weren't bothering with any more patches till Omega dropped.

after playing for an hour on PC i see no difference, and i had a few matches lost connection, it's basically beta patch made public with a few changes, they didn't fix shit they just went around the issues because they don't know how to fix it lol...

I got it and played about half a dozen matches, some were good and some were laggy. One was completely unplayable. I'll try it out for a few more weeks but yeah, that 1 year subscription to Xbox Live is looking mighty good right now.

I come to the point that I enjoy watching ELf matches than watching Rose. Hopefully I see more Elf players online. Gives me more practice while using Blanka and Bison

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Finally got to play a good poison today and damn, playing against a good poison feels like fighting against a guile that can do his corner pressure from anywhere on the screen.

Def feeling like poison is the best new character.

Onemic

Finally got to play a good poison today and damn, playing against a good poison feels like fighting against a guile that can do his corner pressure from anywhere on the screen.

Def feeling like poison is the best new character.

She always was, at least to me. She's very well rounded.

vg260

Really disappointed in hearing the PC version still is not good online (apparently, still haven't tried the update).
It's funny (sad), people would love to have the GFWL version back. I guess the chance of that is effectively zero, but if the game is gonna die on the PC, I wonder if they'd consider updating that version (yeah, no chance).

This really needs a PS4/XO port if they don't want it to die off sooner than expected.

alstein

I don't think PC version is that bad. Disappointing and not fully functional, but if you play 1 vs 1 in a reasonable connection it works better than KOF13 does.

That's how I judge netcode, not so much on bells and whistles, but on whether I can get playable matches that resemble offline play mostly.

It's not Skullgirls tier by any stretch, but it meets the minimum requirements.

I don't think PC version is that bad. Disappointing and not fully functional, but if you play 1 vs 1 in a reasonable connection it works better than KOF13 does.

That's how I judge netcode, not so much on bells and whistles, but on whether I can get playable matches that resemble offline play mostly.

It's not Skullgirls tier by any stretch, but it meets the minimum requirements.
Perfectly worded.

jacobeid

Banned
Not sure where else to put this, but for any Ohioans here, 16-bit in Columbus just put two SF4:AE machines on the floor today and it looks like Cleveland is getting one next week too.

Ahhhh yiss. I'm back in there.

stn

Man, I don't think this game is footsie-oriented enough for me. As I sat there watching my invincible upkicks lose out to a dive kick (yes, you read correctly), I realized I should just stick with ST. I also realized that Dee-Jay is beyond shit tier.

I get the feeling there are 2-4 people max working on the PC version. And the patch didn't even acknowledge the problem that has existed since June, that the multiplayer just plain does not work nearly as well as it used to on GFWL. Capcom is a blatantly incompetent developer.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
More importantly I think hitboxes are screwed up. I've seen so many moves whiff when they aren't supposed to. It's quite obvious either a small team is working on things or they really aren't putting too much effort into it.

hitsugi

Man, I don't think this game is footsie-oriented enough for me. As I sat there watching my invincible upkicks lose out to a dive kick (yes, you read correctly), I realized I should just stick with ST. I also realized that Dee-Jay is beyond shit tier.

Well, ST is better and naturally kills (most) scrubs off before you would even play against them.

More importantly I think hitboxes are screwed up. I've seen so many moves whiff when they aren't supposed to. It's quite obvious either a small team is working on things or they really aren't putting too much effort into it.

Without a doubt it's fucked up, I have seen moves hit with no fucking contact in versus mode offline, it's as though the hit box stay up in the air for an extra second, Ultra is a pile of shit, sry i uninstalled SSF4 GWFL, i don't know if MS killed the service completely yet, but up until a few days before the PC launch of Ultra there were people still playing SSF4 on GWFL..

Top Bottom