• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Marz

Daigo is still top 5 in the world IMO, he consistently bodies Bonchan, Tokido, Wong, Gamerbee.

And his evil ryu is only getting better.

hitsugi

Daigo is still top 5 in the world IMO, he consistently bodies Bonchan, Tokido, Wong, Gamerbee.

And his evil ryu is only getting better.

Yup. The difference in his Evil Ryu only a month or two after Evo was pretty astounding and he continues to improve on that.

I kind of wish Sako was still using Evil Ryu if only for comparison purposes at this point.

i know, but i've seen him dash too many times into a hit or completely offshoot an opponent almost every match.

definitely showing he's still learning with him but is being confident in closing distances

Evil Ryu has a good dash, it should be abused somewhat. Daigo doing double dash into whatever can throw people off. Plus his cr. MK reaches so far he can surprise people with a single or double dash into that into big damage with 2 bars. That's a common strategy I've been using for years.

I have noticed that he plays a little more crazy when he's up against the crazier characters like Fuerte and Seth. He's more reserved against straight forward characters like Fei Long.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Vega's the only character I'm definitely sure beats Elena at this point. Sim and grapplers are a maybe. It's hard to really tell when so many people still don't know how to handle her pressure. Though there was a Gief I used to have a lot of trouble with who I handle lots, lots better now.

Already kinda bored of her since the flowchart works 99% of the time. Back to chun I go for a bit.
Yeah, if I can jump at Elena then it's pretty much a wrap. Her mp is an easy anti air though. Better to trade with that than block a jump rh and have to deal with a mixup.

Yeah, Cody and Duds have jumpins I feel like I gotta scout really early to not trade/lose.

Vega's the only character I'm definitely sure beats Elena at this point. Sim and grapplers are a maybe. It's hard to really tell when so many people still don't know how to handle her pressure. Though there was a Gief I used to have a lot of trouble with who I handle lots, lots better now.

Already kinda bored of her since the flowchart works 99% of the time. Back to chun I go for a bit.

Yeah, Cody and Duds have jumpins I feel like I gotta scout really early to not trade/lose.

Could I ask why you think Vega beats Elena?

I haven't really fought many Vega's as Elena so it'd be nice to know what to watch out for.

cHaotix8

Fragment, when I fight against Dudley all I look for is to whiff punish HP/straight/focus pump and anti air. It's when he's already close to you when anti airing gets tricky for me. Cody just has a bomb-ass jump in general, which makes it hard given his other tools.

Evil Ryu has a good dash, it should be abused somewhat. Daigo doing double dash into whatever can throw people off. Plus his cr. MK reaches so far he can surprise people with a single or double dash into that into big damage with 2 bars. That's a common strategy I've been using for years.

Yeah, Evil Ryu's forward dash is really good.I think it's the same speed as Ken, Cody and Cammy (18 frames). That's only a frame slower than Dudley doing an empty EX duck, and I catch people with EX Duck > cr short from neutral pretty consistently.

I like Daigo or Momochi to win the whole thing unless they have a bad run in with Luffy early on. I like Snake Eyez too but he loses to Justin and there's 2 Sagats. A rough road ahead for him but that's always the case.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Could I ask why you think Vega beats Elena?

I haven't really fought many Vega's as Elena so it'd be nice to know what to watch out for.

His fast walk speed along with his cr.mp makes him hard to really pin at midrange. He can punish lynx tail relatively easily because of his fast, long jab. He's pretty hard to reliability antiair at times unless you want to burn a bar on ex scratch wheel.

sixghost

Have there been any good Makoto matches in recent tournaments? I'm kind of running out of ideas with her and could use some inspiration.

vulva

Is there a way to make Steam/USF4 I'm from the US without using a proxy or vpn? I feel like I'd get a chance to play way more people if it was set to US and I'm pretty close to the border anyways.

vulva

Having played both Blackule and Beef in person, Blackule's better.

edit: double post, forgot I posted then started reading back through the thread. Whatever, the facts remain

Having played both Blackule and Beef in person, Blackule's better.

edit: double post, forgot I posted then started reading back through the thread. Whatever, the facts remain

yesjacknicholson.gif

cHaotix8

Absolute Battle is going down here in Dallas Nov 14-16th and it's looking to be one of our biggest tournaments yet. We have Jan, Ranmasama, Busby, F-Champ, RayRay, Angelic and Noel Brown confirmed for Marvel and Snake Eyez, Native Impact, iRedman and a tentative PR Rog and Ricky Ortiz for Street Fighter. It feels good to see how my community has grown so much.

http://www.versusgameplay.com/events/absolute-battle-5/

It'd be cool if you guys would check out the stream and help support our community. I'm gonna do my best to show that Texas and the South has killers too.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Losing to a good Vega is so demoralizing. Doesn't help that his kara throw range is just as long as Yang's jab hitbox.

cackhyena

Yup. The difference in his Evil Ryu only a month or two after Evo was pretty astounding and he continues to improve on that.

I kind of wish Sako was still using Evil Ryu if only for comparison purposes at this point.

I wish he was still using him as well. Te most fun E Ryu to watch. I guess it's kind of true with any character he picks up, tho.

stn

Are there any good throw teching tutorials on YT? Its the one part of my defensive game that's lacking.

Onemic

Ive been watching Bruce Lee/Kung fu movies during my time away....and now I gotta play Fei all day erryday along with his Capoeira Queen.

Elena vs Rufus.....

I am really not digging this matchup as Elena. Shit sucks. I can't stop him once he's in my face. The only normal that kinda keeps him away is St. LP. But that certainly isn't enough damage to persuade him to stop jumping at me. Maybe I should try my luck with Scratch Wheel. This is the only matchup I've struggled in with my time as Elena. She is a very very fun character though.

On a different note, Rolento vs Bison is currently my favorite matchup to play as either side. It feels like a very even fight.

Onemic

Elena vs Rufus.....

I am really not digging this matchup as Elena. Shit sucks. I can't stop him once he's in my face. The only normal that kinda keeps him away is St. LP. But that certainly isn't enough damage to persuade him to stop jumping at me. Maybe I should try my luck with Scratch Wheel. This is the only matchup I've struggled in with my time as Elena. She is a very very fun character though.

On a different note, Rolento vs Bison is currently my favorite matchup to play as either side. It feels like a very even fight.

I found that st.hp has been a very useful AA against him whens he's not up close. It's the only matchup where I feel that st.hp should be the go-to AA(Along with st.lp). Rufus' jump is slow enough that st.hp should catch him whether he transitions to a DK or does a full jump in. Of course, once he gets in dat ass tho....

Personally, I have bigger problems with Chun/Bison/Yun than Rufus

I found that st.hp has been a very useful AA against him whens he's not up close. It's the only matchup where I feel that st.hp should be the go-to AA(Along with st.lp). Rufus' jump is slow enough that st.hp should catch him whether he transitions to a DK or does a full jump in. Of course, once he gets in dat ass tho....

Personally, I have bigger problems with Chun/Bison/Yun than Rufus

Bison has given me zero issues.
Yun probably would, but fortunately I play against solid Yun players frequently, so I get some decent practice.
Chun is kinda hit and miss. It really depends on the playstyle. I hate Chun in general because she has the best set of normals in the game, in my opinion. I've found that well timed and properly spaced sweeps bail me out, along with B+HK

Anyway, I was using St. HP a little bit and it would work here and there, but I would just get so nervous about missing. I think that's because I feel that most Rufus players are going to play Rufus the way that I do and that's totally not the case, so I should probably try to abuse it a bit more.

And I know I've asked before (not sure if I got an answer), but is something fucked up with her inputs? I have no idea how I get super so often when I go for Ultra 1.....it makes absolutely no fucking sense. I'll even get super when I go for an ex scratch wheel. It's like that super is extremely lenient and takes priority over everything else. I've started to do what I do with Viper and purposely burn a bar just to prevent it. I just hate when it screws me for later because I used another bar and only have two left and had an opportunity for a RFADC. Love using red focus with Elena.

And I get the opposite with Rolento. Anytime I want to use his super, I can't. It's a fantastic super, but the input seems to be really strict at times.

Oh and why do I fuck up with simple fireballs with Poison? I'll mistakenly jump on occasion. I never have this issue with any other character.

mbpm1

Oh and why do I fuck up with simple fireballs with Poison? I'll mistakenly jump on occasion. I never have this issue with any other character.

Lrn 2 input scrub. =P

Actually Poison is unique in that she has no buffer for her fireball. So with most characters if you ended with Up-Forward the fireball would still come out because the system reads it as a buffered fireball.

Poison...doesn't have that for some reason.

Erigu

Actually Poison is unique in that she has no buffer for her fireball. So with most characters if you ended with Up-Forward the fireball would still come out because the system reads it as a buffered fireball.
Poison...doesn't have that for some reason.
And they haven't fixed that yet? Not even with the recent patch?
(genuine question: I really haven't played much)

Onemic

Bison has given me zero issues.
Yun probably would, but fortunately I play against solid Yun players frequently, so I get some decent practice.
Chun is kinda hit and miss. It really depends on the playstyle. I hate Chun in general because she has the best set of normals in the game, in my opinion. I've found that well timed and properly spaced sweeps bail me out, along with B+HK

Anyway, I was using St. HP a little bit and it would work here and there, but I would just get so nervous about missing. I think that's because I feel that most Rufus players are going to play Rufus the way that I do and that's totally not the case, so I should probably try to abuse it a bit more.

And I know I've asked before (not sure if I got an answer), but is something fucked up with her inputs? I have no idea how I get super so often when I go for Ultra 1.....it makes absolutely no fucking sense. I'll even get super when I go for an ex scratch wheel. It's like that super is extremely lenient and takes priority over everything else. I've started to do what I do with Viper and purposely burn a bar just to prevent it. I just hate when it screws me for later because I used another bar and only have two left and had an opportunity for a RFADC. Love using red focus with Elena.

Elena's input overlaps are in the same tier as hugo. Everything is a pain to input correctly

cHaotix8

Elena vs Rufus.....

Eh, st lp is pretty much the solution against divekicks. It gives them a legitimately hard time to getting in, and you get pressure once they land. Same with Yun and Yang. I think she probably has the easiet time dealing with divekicks.

Yeah, there's a ton of problems with the new chars that I hope they address soon. All of them have super small hurtboxes and it's a pain in the ass having something whiff or a combo drop because of their anorexia.

alstein

So has everyone(Mago) dropped Fei now or what?

His use is dropping, but it sounds more like people being bored with the character than him not being good anymore- kinda like what happened to Sagat in Super.

Got nerfed, was still good, but folks dropped him because he was nerfed and boring.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah st.lp is fucking GODLIKE at keeping divekickers out.

Option selecting cr.hp against close divekick pressure is also kinda useful, but that normal is pretty slow so it's not a great solution. I wouldn't try it at all against Cammy.

Too bad st.mk isn't a crouching normal cuz it'd be pretty nice against close divekick pressure.

USD

I have to say, I do love Poison. Starting out, playing her was pretty rough, especially since I had never put serious work into a projectile character. Even with how great Aeolus Edge is, just like any other character, bad fireballs will get you wrecked. I've certainly gotten better in that area at least.

She's so damn good. On the surface she seems basic, and overall she probably is, but the properties of her moves are what make her interesting, particularly her ability to juggle with almost anything. She also has a legitimate high-low mix-up, and even more mix-up potential off EX Whip of Love. Her normal set is decent, but Crouch LP and MP are great, and the long reach of Crouch MK can catch people off guard. She certainly has her weaknesses (weak to corner pressure, inconsistent anti-air Shoryu and poor punish ability outside of Crouch MK range, to name a few), but overall, she's arguably the best of the five new characters and arguably a top ten character.

Once I stop being lazy, I'm probably gonna rewire my arcade stick so I can plink with the Back button, being able to plink all Poison's light attacks would certainly help out in getting the maximum damage she can do. I might start messing around with Elena once I do that, since Elena can be particularly scary when you can hit her combos off her F+MP overhead and Stand HK.

Village

I think poison is alright.

I went with hugo and rolento out of the newbies.

Potatoes and war.

( I personally like the super giant game play hugo brings to four and he has the most satisfying 720's to land. All his moves convey a dominance in animation that is just visually fantastic in the art still and at least for me easy to use. Rolento is shenanigans and I love it )

Onemic

Playing the PC version,I didnt need to mod the stick in order to do the back button thingand after trying it out I actually just went back to the traditional button layout. It feels way too foreign to me moving all my buttons to the right just to be able to plink jab. Sure it would make hitting Elena's links easier, but the uncomfortable layout makes me not as sharp in my reactions that I'd like to be.

Top Bottom