• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Hey I was wondering.. if huw_dawson could help me that'd be good.

What's the best way to deal with ex.Messiah kick when the person mixes up with delaying the lk follow up with invincibility? Because that shit is stupid.

I saw Xian try to do a neutral jump at sxsw and got bopped for it anyway. Thinking about it.. that was a very smart idea tbh. Am I just in a total guessing game of high, low or delayed?

Neutral jump the best choice?

xeolleth

Neo Member
Finally joined NeoGAF and got accepted a couple of days ago so thought I would intro myself.

I'm xeolleth, aka Porcupine, aka Frame Trapped Tom - the guy that founded the Frame Trapped tool. Got told this was the place to be.

Swarna

wonder what valve knows about fighting games.

The issues are unrelated to the actual net interaction between 2 players and more about people still getting overloaded with pings from other players searching during matches. While I'm not saying this beta is gonna do jack shit it's possible that it can be fixed if P2P searching is handled better.

mbpm1

im aafraid now that i will be ranked people will try to job me more or less or kick me in a game. Some might not even give me a legitimate matches as ive been having

I took it as a compliment when the last session I could squeeze in two people rage quit and multiple others refused to give me a second match.

vg260

wonder what valve knows about fighting games.

From my understanding, a big part of the issue was how the Steam client was handling P2P connections in-game which was messing with the connection quality, not necessarily the in-game netcode itself, which may not really have changed.

Marz

Finally joined NeoGAF and got accepted a couple of days ago so thought I would intro myself.

I'm xeolleth, aka Porcupine, aka Frame Trapped Tom - the guy that founded the Frame Trapped tool. Got told this was the place to be.

Welcome to GAF.

zoutlaw

Banned
I'll have to double check if my settings are like that on steam. I got the game on PC about a week or go or so, and the netcode is total garbage even after following all the online guides on how to maximize it.

A ranking, and even 3 bar connections 9/10 times are just trash on Ranked with 12+ frames of delay easily. :/

If the PS4 version drops relatively soon at 40 dollars or less with a solid net code, then I'm absolutely jumping ship.

Yo I got served the fuck up by Deejay. I knew the dude was top tier.

But seriously, he was the best damn Deejay I've come across... then again I think I've only fought 3 that were worth a damn.

Marz

But seriously, he was the best damn Deejay I've come across... then again I think I've only fought 3 that were worth a damn.

I always lose to decent Deejays as well. He doesn't really feel bad like people always make him out to be.

Got fast walkspeed, a quick jump, a sonic boom, can't jump at him when he has charge etc.

Also anyone up for some PSN right now?

I still struggle to understand how I do so well against good players but get literally fucking bodied by people who I'm pretty sure just close their eyes and hit buttons.

Treat your opponent like they are an idiot until they prove otherwise is how I approach most online matches. Purposely dropping combos to bait out mashed DP's is incredibly effective online.

The combination of
-required links for bnbs
-below average health
-needing to space/time divekicks properly
-low damage
-not so safe mixups

just kills most Yangs especially in lag

I was frauding out 3k bp yangs with day 1 gief

I honestly feel bad for Yang players, a counter hit electricity frame trap, a basic barebones essential to Blanka's game plan, combined with Yang's below average health is almost as much damage as a jump in from Yang. If he just had an improvement to his damage output, to decent from its currently pathetic state, would be a great improvement for him. A combo into Ultra should be scary, with Yang, its a minor inconvenience.

Welcome! For those who want some help improving their game and have never used Frame Trapped, I'd highly suggest it, basically the only reason I ever use the PC version. Its been super helpful for all the things I have found in terms of combos, setups, and random little things for Blanka.

Speaking of which, there is a pretty ambiguous setup I found(I think, maybe it was already known) where after a crumple, where you walk forward a bit, crouching mk cancelled into forward hop and immediately cancel into HP electricity. If timed right, regardless of which side you land on, Blanka will do the electricity while facing away from the opponent. While not super useful, it can be pretty weird looking and can catch people off guard, a decent little gimmick.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
My routine since AE

I think we may be onto something.

Treat your opponent like they are an idiot until they prove otherwise is how I approach most online matches. Purposely dropping combos to bait out mashed DP's is incredibly effective online.

I honestly feel bad for Yang players, a counter hit electricity frame trap, a basic barebones essential to Blanka's game plan, combined with Yang's below average health is almost as much damage as a jump in from Yang. If he just had an improvement to his damage output, to decent from its currently pathetic state, would be a great improvement for him. A combo into Ultra should be scary, with Yang, its a minor inconvenience..

Yang is just not threatening. I do really like the character and feel like I invested too much time in him to drop him, but man you really gotta be switched on all the time if you want success playing him.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah people often assume I main Yun (or E.Ryu) but the reality is before that match I had another heartbreaker with Guy and said fuck this for the day.

Haha. Guy is my favorite capcom character. I played him in every game he was in. Playing him since the early versions definitely jaded me on this game though. I took something like a year and a half off after AE 2012. For ultra i was like..well lets try something new. I played a little bit of Yang in 3s, always liked him so why not. Learned a pocket Yun on the side who I am literally half a billion percent more effective with. I could just stfu and play Yun but i just like Yang more. Its sad that I still kinda sorta care.

I gave FoldingDragon da bidness not too long ago. Got to thank Threi (RIP) for dat DeeJay experience.

I kicked him right after since I hate playing against DJ.
skZkHhB.png

Haha. Guy is my favorite capcom character. I played him in every game he was in. Playing him since the early versions definitely jaded me on this game though. I took something like a year and a half off after AE 2012. For ultra i was like..well lets try something new. I played a little bit of Yang in 3s, always liked him so why not. Learned a pocket Yun on the side who I am literally half a billion percent more effective with. I could just stfu and play Yun but i just like Yang more. Its sad that I still kinda sorta care.
My favorite guy will always be alpha 3 guy. But most of his combos are specific to that engine so I never believed that would be replicated again. So given SF4 guy's shitty combo potential dropped him soon after ssf4. Rip guy.

hitsugi

I think I do better with Guy against actual good players.. but Yun just takes over when it comes to random people or especially online play for me. I don't know what it is.. everything just works out better. I like Yang as well but I can't bring myself to play him in SF4

Marz

I think it was FoldingDragon

Oh and I played one of the saltiest motherfuckers I've ever encountered today. All he did was shit talk my playstyle and was seemingly giving me advice all while I was beating his ass like 20-3.

YES MOTHERFUCKER I WILL WALK UP AND DP YOU WITH NO METER! PROBLEM?!?

We gotta play sometime man

xeolleth

Neo Member
Welcome! For those who want some help improving their game and have never used Frame Trapped, I'd highly suggest it, basically the only reason I ever use the PC version. Its been super helpful for all the things I have found in terms of combos, setups, and random little things for Blanka.

Cheers! Looking forward to getting the right kind of feedback and discussion here.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
My favorite guy will always be alpha 3 guy. But most of his combos are specific to that engine so I never believed that would be replicated again. So given SF4 guy's shitty combo potential dropped him soon after ssf4. Rip guy.

A3 Guy was my favorite as well. A3 is also the game that I stayed playing since it came out so all my muscle memory never went away and kinda did me a disservice in SF4. For what its worth I think he's a pretty good character in Ultra, but as you said he didn't really transition into the SF4 engine as gracefully as some of us hoped.

I think I do better with Guy against actual good players.. but Yun just takes over when it comes to random people or especially online play for me. I don't know what it is.. everything just works out better. I like Yang as well but I can't bring myself to play him in SF4

Yun has pretty easy combos, doesn't have to work too hard to get in and he does ridiculous damage. I'm not sure what is worse sometimes. The feeling of getting bodied by players I shouldn't be losing to with Yang, or the disgust that comes with steamrolling someone with Yun.

zoutlaw

Banned
Is USFIV worth picking up on PC? I really wanna get into SF, but I don't have a console.

Yes and no.

If you are lucky enough to not get lag, then yes.

I on the other hand have done everything possible to improve netcode on a match to match basis, and I've come up with nothing.

I'll find non stop 3 bar connections, but then when we play it's 8+Frames of delay... usually of which is 12+.

1/20 matches now feel playable that I can do my combos and set ups and vice versa. I feel bad to even play like this... I'm not sure if it's the norm on Steam with this game or if it's just me.

I've already sunk 30 hours into it, but I feel like I would have 3x times that if the netcode wasn't gutter trash. I'll pony up for PS4 version if netcode isn't butt cheeks there. I can deal with X360 levels of lag, but this is something else.

vg260

Have you tried it with the Steam Beta client that Capcom said had related changes?

The thing is there's no way to know if the other users are doing the same until the beta client becomes an official Steam client update.

I'm hoping that helps, but have not heard any feedback yet.

Coda

I hate how Capcom is leaving us in the dark with the PS4 port. I mean they said spring so we should at least know when to expect it at this point.

I hate how Capcom is leaving us in the dark with the PS4 port. I mean they said spring so we should at least know when to expect it at this point.

Eh, I feel the same way. I've been vocal about it before in this thread already. When I hear "Spring", I always think that means April. It's going to be April very soon and hopefully they have a date locked already and just don't want to announce it yet. But the fact that their isn't one yet makes me worried that it won't be ready till Summer. I have a few sticks on the way and I would actually like to use them to play the game on my PS4. The thing has been collecting dust and I'd just like to find some reason to turn it on, even if it's just to play a 6 year old game that I already have on 3 other platforms.

BTW, I ran into this Rose player that was back dashing me to death. I have a really good OS against her back dash that I almost never use in real matches. So I said why the hell not and went for it. Man it felt so good to punish her back dashes to 258 damage(with meter it could be much higher) with out any meter usage. What's even sweeter is that I got her with that OS twice in the corner because I just knew my opponent would back dash in the corner thinking that I wouldn't believe he would do it.

zoutlaw

Banned
Speaking of Ultra 4 on PS4...where the hell is it?

It's spring. MKX comes out next month, and after that I consider May summer...

I bought PC version due to impatience and totally regret it. I'd dip again on PS4 at a fair price, but knowing Capcom it won't be.

Top Bottom