• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Goddamn...I don't know how you can play that long. Gives me a massive headache going for more than about 3, and I definitely know that zoned out feeling. I was already feeling it since I had been playing for like 2 hours prior to playing you. But yeah GG's man. Didn't know you had a Balrog. He's a huge weakness of mine at times. And if you ever want completely free wins then just pick Ibuki. I lose to almost any level of Ibuki. Fuck that stupid little girl.

Yeah I played Rawg for a few years prior to picking up Sagawt.

Linking hp after solar plexus and then switching to cancelling hp dp is a pain

Use the short cut. After the solar plexus start from down forward and when you link cr. HP just motion back to down and then down forward again with whatever strength you want the DP to be.

xCobalt

Rolento mains, something weird I found that works against the twins. Might be something that could be used once or twice as a gimmick.

Have you tried recording Rolento and practicing escape options? Lots of weird stuff happens in the corner that wouldn't happen in a real match. One example in your setup is that the dummy is in neutral. The blocking animation would change the hitboxes. Have you tested to see what happens if the opponent tries to crouch block? There's a chance the air raid will whiff.

stn

Have you tried recording Rolento and practicing escape options? Lots of weird stuff happens in the corner that wouldn't happen in a real match. One example in your setup is that the dummy is in neutral. The blocking animation would change the hitboxes. Have you tested to see what happens if the opponent tries to crouch block? There's a chance the air raid will whiff.
If I recall, crouch block makes it whiff. I'm not sure if there would be enough frame advantage to start a crouch block string. Of course, mashing an SRK would beat it out. I'll test it tonight...

Marz

Started OS'ing against backdashes, greatest thing ever.

Also OS'ed Adons Ultra 1 against Akumas teleport, felt so good.

Then next game I OS'ed teleport again and he backdashed instead and I died

Started OS'ing against backdashes, greatest thing ever.

Also OS'ed Adons Ultra 1 against Akumas teleport, felt so good.

Then next game I OS'ed teleport again and he backdashed instead and I died

Shouldn't you just be able to react to that instead of having to OS? That Ultra has great range and moves pretty fast so I figured you can just wait and see which way he teleports and react to that even when he's near the end of his teleport.

I've tried OS'ing with HK tatsu but it doesn't work most of the time so I just try and predict where they're going. Which I still get wrong 90% of the time because they go the opposite way or decide not to teleport.

Marz

Shouldn't you just be able to react to that instead of having to OS? That Ultra has great range and moves pretty fast so I figured you can just wait and see which way he teleports and react to that even when he's near the end of his teleport.

I've tried OS'ing with HK tatsu but it doesn't work most of the time so I just try and predict where they're going. Which I still get wrong 90% of the time because they go the opposite way or decide not to teleport.

Yea but usually when I do that I'm just looking for the teleport and I end up missing out on pressure if they don't teleport. This way I can cover both ya know just makes my offense scarier I feel. Plus there's been times where I reacted a frame or so late and they were able to block.

You're just starting to OS breh?

I play Sagat mayne. Meaty cr.lk or fireball and then back to TIGER.

Yea but usually when I do that I'm just looking for the teleport and I end up missing out on pressure if they don't teleport. This way I can cover both ya know just makes my offense scarier I feel. Plus there's been times where I reacted a frame or so late and they were able to block.

I play Sagat mayne. Meaty cr.lk or fireball and then back to TIGER.

how do you have fun chucking fireballs all day breh?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I got FUCKED in the butthole for like an hour by some Vega player last night. That match really feels like a hard counter to Elena. Plus that dude was probably just a lot better at neutral than me.

Might've been AZ Greg. Kinda played like him.

I got FUCKED in the butthole for like an hour by some Vega player last night. That match really feels like a hard counter to Elena. Plus that dude was probably just a lot better at neutral than me.

Yeah that's a really rough match in my opinion. It seems like it boils down to who plays more patient.

GG Marz, some points from our long set

-I have weak fundamentals, I try to use a lot of mix ups and gimmicks to make up for it.
-When I'm concentrating on the ground game up close I can't DP for my life, so that's why I rely on cr. HP
-I noticed you weren't tech'ing. I guess you're afraid of counter hits or something? That's why I just kept throwing over and over.
-I got bodied overall, it felt like it was 70-30 you in the Sagat vs Evil Ryu match.
-That set up in the corner is a fake cross up, gotta block it like I'm in front of you
-My Yun is ass
-I purposely jumped and dive kicked at you(with Evil Ryu) when you used Adon, I know I can stuff your DP and really wanted you to try and DP me.

That's all I got for now. Going by the very little I saw of you last year you got quite a bit better. I've been the same for years now, can't seem to improve from only playing online :(

I had to play Noel Brown's Vega in a team tourney.. I had no idea where all my health went all of a sudden

Marz

GG Marz, some points from our long set

-I have weak fundamentals, I try to use a lot of mix ups and gimmicks to make up for it.
-When I'm concentrating on the ground game up close I can't DP for my life, so that's why I rely on cr. HP
-I noticed you weren't tech'ing. I guess you're afraid of counter hits or something? That's why I just kept throwing over and over.
-I got bodied overall, it felt like it was 70-30 you in the Sagat vs Evil Ryu match.
-That set up in the corner is a fake cross up, gotta block it like I'm in front of you
-My Yun is ass
-I purposely jumped and dive kicked at you(with Evil Ryu) when you used Adon, I know I can stuff your DP and really wanted you to try and DP me.

That's all I got for now. Going by the very little I saw of you last year you got quite a bit better. I've been the same for years now, can't seem to improve from only playing online :(

Good games man, was fun to get to finally play you.

Yea I usually don't jump that much with Sagat but you seemed really intent on fireballs in the midrange.

I'd rather take the throw against Evil Ryu tbh than eat a fat combo even though it puts me back in the divekick mixup. That divekick is a lot trickier than it actually appears to be BTW your the first Evil Ryu I've played to use it that much.

I don't think you got bodied you seemed to figure me out after those first 10 games or so.

N yea I figured that was a fake crossup after I got hit with it the third time lol.

I thought you said you can't confirm low forward fireball? You hit it quite a bit.

We both never respected each other on wakeup either some of those games were ridiculous lol. That Adon double KO game wtf.

But thanks, I've been trying to get better, still pretty bad on defense though.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah that's a really rough match in my opinion. It seems like it boils down to who plays more patient.

Yeah. Elena's strength is her range and ability to pressure from a distance, but she can't really do that against Vega because he out-priorities her and also has that range. That plus Vega's far superior walkspeed makes it seem like Vega totally dictates the pace of the match. Antiairing Vega is really hard too. Feels like the best option is to just forward dash to the other side, but then you potentially give up screen positioning.

The most annoying thing though is that Elena doesn't seem to have much to discourage Vega from just backdashing through block strings and the hard read with slide doesn't really seem worth it even if you guess right.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I still struggle to understand how I do so well against good players but get literally fucking bodied by people who I'm pretty sure just close their eyes and hit buttons.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I still struggle to understand how I do so well against good players but get literally fucking bodied by people who I'm pretty sure just close their eyes and hit buttons.

Happens to everybody once you get to a certain level. Playing the way you're "supposed" to play at non-noob levels doesn't work against crazygonuts players. Just don't overcommit and let them hang themselves and you should win. If they're that nuts, then they're not doing anything super good to open you up in the first place, so just block. If I don't think a player is good enough at following up after a throw, I don't care about getting thrown and I just block.

Good games man, was fun to get to finally play you.

It was fun to finally play you as well. To answer a few of your questions. I'm decent a confirming low forward fireball into FADC combos now, but I don't think I confirmed a single one against you. You rarely got hit by that block string so I stopped looking for it most of the time. As for me using dive kick so much, that pretty much means two things. I'm getting desperate and my fundamentals suck so I like to resort to trying to do something gimmicky instead of doing something more solid lol.

And I must admit, I got pretty salty because I kept losing so many close rounds. It seemed like you won everything that came down to the wire. You also made several come backs against me when I had a good life lead. I thought to myself "how am I letting Sagat do this to me"? BTW, nice execution with the jab links. I was surprised how you could do that consistently considering you can't chain them at all and have to link each jab with is a 1 framer and unplinkable unless your stick is modded.

After playing some USF4 on PSN, it isn't as bad as I remember.. Seems like all the wifi people left or something...

You always seem idle though..

I knew I wasn't the only one. I thought the same thing when I jumped back on a few months ago. Almost every green bar match was pretty smooth, even the yellow bar matches went pretty well for the most part. Maybe our memory was foggy or it would be like you said, wifi people quit the game.

As for Marz, maybe he's burnt out from playing me for 2+ hours a few days ago. Funny thing about that is that the last time we tried playing against each other(sometime last Summer I think) the lag was horrendous. But a few days ago it felt pretty good, and he was a yellow bar connection for me. In fact I almost never dropped Evil Ryu's 1f link axe kick combo when I played him, I probably landed it 80% of the time. He was also consistently landing Sagat's 1f jab links. So it didn't seem to interfere at all with our execution.

mbpm1

Yeah. The damage output is just sad. I think on an average I need something like five mixups to take a round, assuming that I land a hit that is.

The combination of
-required links for bnbs
-below average health
-needing to space/time divekicks properly
-low damage
-not so safe mixups

just kills most Yangs especially in lag

I was frauding out 3k bp yangs with day 1 gief

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The combination of
-required links for bnbs
-below average health
-needing to space/time divekicks properly
-low damage
-not so safe mixups

just kills most Yangs especially in lag

I was frauding out 3k bp yangs with day 1 gief

Basically. If you don't have the frames to confirm you just sort of have to hang out and hope you can land the fifty single hits you need.

zoutlaw

Banned
Got the PC version....not digging this. I have followed a ton of guides online, and have a great PC, but still tons of online lag. I have an A score, and I swear 1/20 is not dial up city.

12+F of lag each game. Unplayable. :/

Nabs

Got the PC version....not digging this. I have followed a ton of guides online, and have a great PC, but still tons of online lag. I have an A score, and I swear 1/20 is not dial up city.

Are the proper Steam ports open?

Do you also have lag when offline? in game vsync can cause a lot of delay. Turn it off in options and see if things improve.

vg260

Posted today on the Steam forum:
Hello USFIV players,

We’ve been working together with Valve to improve some of the netcode issues PC players are experiencing with Ultra Street Fighter IV. We recently implemented a change which is now live in the Steam Beta Client.

To subscribe to the beta release, go to [Steam->Settings, Beta participation]. If it doesn't say "Steam Beta Update", click the [Change...] button, and select the Steam Beta Update and let it update. Then, select [Steam->Check for Steam Client Updates] to make sure you have the latest update, and then check [Help->About] and make sure the "Built" string is greater than or equal to Mar 13 2015.

-Capcom Fighting Team

Laws00

im lifting the restricter plates and im playing ranked matches!

Of all these years ive been playing endless matches have taught me so much more then ranked has.

im aafraid now that i will be ranked people will try to job me more or less or kick me in a game. Some might not even give me a legitimate matches as ive been having

fighting 2k-4k ranked people is common for me.

Top Bottom