• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

depends.

day one rolento? why sure buddy, just keep walking into my standing roundhouse all day.

3k bp+ or someone with good execution? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck why does he link off everything!?

Played an A rank 4.5K PP Rolento the other day for a few matches, the pressure that he can do is insane, helped my blocking out I suppose. And once you get on them and start your own pressure, one wrong guess and he's escaped.

My top 5 annoying list in no particular order

Fuerte
Blanka
Rolento
Ibuki
Decapre

Honorable mentions: Viper, Dhalsim, Rose, you know what, everybody else. Just about every character in this freaking game has at least one thing that irritates the fuck out of me.

Add Elena Ultra 2. There is nothing in this game that stings as bad as watching her take the life lead as the times winding down.

No invincibility

EX has invincibility, it just tends to only get one or two hits when used as an anti-air(not always, but a lot from what I've seen) Having to spend a bar to have a reliable anti-air really hurts him, considering how important meter is to him. Instant air Izuna Drop can work, not really recommended, but damn that move is awesome.

Having to use EX for a real anti air = no reliable anti air imo.

Ha, true. I guess "use if you need to" would be a better way to describe it.

While Honda sure isn't near the top tiers, If you play him, get your HHS and EX HHS down. I haven't really bothered with him since ultra dropped, but damn at that damage output. A jump in with 2 EX hands with a Ochio Throw reset can do 500-590 damage depending on what your jump in was and what you cancelled from, and a lot of stun. Even without the reset your still hitting around 400. Basically for 2 bars you can match or surpass cancelling into super.

mbpm1

Agreed. Blowing meter is huge in this game, even for one clean AA opportunity.

Especially since AA's really don't hurt much in this game.

1 bar for a what, 80 damage AA for guy as opposed to having meter to continue pressure and make things happen, EX Run for armor through moves, etc rarely is optimal, although sometimes it is necessary.

xCobalt

Agreed. Blowing meter is huge in this game, even for one clean AA opportunity.

I don't understand the gootecks school of thought when it comes to meter. Using a bar to prevent someone from jumping in can be just as useful if you're using it as an escape option. It does depend on the character and what the situation is but I feel like if that one bar (or multiple bars) gives you the upper hand, by all means use it. Off the top of my head, I would only advise against using meter if you're in a huge life deficit.

hitsugi

I don't understand the gootecks school of thought when it comes to meter. Using a bar to prevent someone from jumping in can be just as useful if you're using it as an escape option. It does depend on the character and what the situation is but I feel like if that one bar (or multiple bars) gives you the upper hand, by all means use it. Off the top of my head, I would only advise against using meter if you're in a huge life deficit.

It is situational, but I don't use the EX kyaku for anti-air unless I absolutely have to beat a jump-in. Guy has better uses for meter and for the most part he's okay to just block if you aren't able to go air to air, dash under / focus backdash, c.MK, far HK, etc.

All of the above options pale in comparison to the simple c.MP he had.

Well you have to admit, characters that require meter to use their invincible reversals have extra perks compared to the ones that don't. For example Guy, Blanka, and Chun's reversals take cares of cross ups so ambiguous jump ins don't work on them. Honda's use to be safe on block, Gouken has multiple reversals that require meter and makes you guess which one he'll use, and so on. You get the point, I'm not saying they're better off but most if not all characters that require meter for reversal normally has some kind of property that can make them better or safer in a certain way compared to the typical dragon punch.

Any Decapre players here? Trying to learn her. What's her best B&B punish? I was doing LP, LP, MP, Stinger, but in training the damage is less than target combo and air throw. Also is crouching HP a viable AA? It seems it might be, but if someone is almost over your head it looks like it will whiff.

mbpm1

Any Decapre players here? Trying to learn her. What's her best B&B punish? I was doing LP, LP, MP, Stinger, but in training the damage is less than target combo and air throw. Also is crouching HP a viable AA? It seems it might be, but if someone is almost over your head it looks like it will whiff.

TC > air throw is her best meterless except in specific cases with characters

Cr. Hp only works on jumps from a distance, Cl Mp is for people right on top but its situational

Spuck-uk

Banned

TC > Air throw gives great damage, and if you catch the throw at the lowest possible height you get the opportunity for some really ambiguous crossups/unblockables.

cr.mp, cr.mp > slide or sting is big damage from a hit confirm.

From some ranges you can also far st.HK as anti air. her buttons are a bit bad as AA, but made up for by sting into ultra.

Thanks guys. Just been practicing with my new stick. Online players are really bad. I keep falling for wake up DPs and Ultras.

Can I be added to the players list? PSN: JDawg2K

I've noticed how my skills and mannerisms have changed over the years.

whereas before i would only save the Ultra for a guaranteed kill at the end, now i find myself often using the Ultra to get out of corner situations or to match my HP with my opponent's if i am far behind .

I've noticed how my skills and mannerisms have changed over the years.

whereas before i would only save the Ultra for a guaranteed kill at the end, now i find myself often using the Ultra to get out of corner situations or to match my HP with my opponent's if i am far behind .
I find myself mashing more and more, until I get baited 5 times and I stop for a little while..

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I think I've been playing better lately. Paying a character that has both low heath and low damage output kind of reined in some of my bad habits. Some. I think playing Yang might have made me even more jaded on this game. I like my character but he really puts things into perspective.

I was hoping for a release date for USF4 PS4 already but still no sign of it anywhere. I was hoping to retire both my old consoles by next month but that may not be the case. Capcom Pls, well maybe more like "Sony Pls" since they're the ones porting it over.

Coda

I was hoping for a release date for USF4 PS4 already but still no sign of it anywhere. I was hoping to retire both my old consoles by next month but that may not be the case. Capcom Pls, well maybe more like "Sony Pls" since they're the ones porting it over.

Same, well I actually already retired my 360 because I needed the money. I'm assuming we'll be hearing about it real soon. I'd love it if they just all of a sudden drop the release date and it's like coming to PSN next week. Those sudden release date kind of drops are the best.

stn

Can't really say much. That guile made all the wrong decisions.

Pretty sharp for day 1 though.
Thanks. I watch tons of matches so I literally just copy what I see the pros do. My main problem is muscle memory, I had a few mistakes due to that (ex. wanting to cross up mk but getting a dive kick because I'm used to holding "down" when crossing up).

mbpm1

That's pretty much what I do, copy people's ideas. It's fun to get a combo/mixup that you saw a pro do; you leech of some of their success for a bit and feel like a god.

and then you get hit by something stupid bc online, and it deflates a bit lol

ggs Eyeless. Fuck Elena...

Prior to playing you, I played about 10 hours. I was zombifed, head tilted like Poongko, eyes bloodshot red.
Goddamn...I don't know how you can play that long. Gives me a massive headache going for more than about 3, and I definitely know that zoned out feeling. I was already feeling it since I had been playing for like 2 hours prior to playing you. But yeah GG's man. Didn't know you had a Balrog. He's a huge weakness of mine at times. And if you ever want completely free wins then just pick Ibuki. I lose to almost any level of Ibuki. Fuck that stupid little girl.

I knew I recognized that name, I just couldn't remember who it was until Mango posted. I think the one time we played on Xbox Live I went something like 1-20 against you. It was a pretty rough beat down. I'm not even sure I won a game, I just think I did at some point.

Well I never got that run back because I never renewed Xbox Live when my sub ended. Which is probably a good thing because I don't see how I would do any better :(

I knew I recognized that name, I just couldn't remember who it was until Mango posted. I think the one time we played on Xbox Live I went something like 1-20 against you. It was a pretty rough beat down. I'm not even sure I won a game, I just think I did at some point.

Well I never got that run back because I never renewed Xbox Live when my sub ended. Which is probably a good thing because I don't see how I would do any better :(
Ehhh sometimes you have good days and sometimes you have bad days. I believe you won 4 times since I remember using 5 characters before one of us took off. I do have ultra on PS3 but it's not hooked up at the moment, but if I do hook it up soon, I would be more than happy to give you a runback. Or if you're planning on getting it on PS4, then I'll see you when it finally drops. I'm kinda tired of my PS4 only being my Diablo/Destiny machine. Though I will be streaming our matches :p

stn

Any Oni players who can answer a basic question? SRK Oni thread seems a bit dead.

EDIT: Nevermind, disregard.

Played a bit against Kreymore's Juri

man I was doing so well in the beginning but he eventually had me downloaded.

Juri's U1 is definitely top 3 in the game. Juri's basic zoning game can shut down Elena easily because of how good of an anti air her cr.MP hitbox is.

Top Bottom