• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

That said, I'm interested to buy the Prima USFIV bible, anyone that bought it could confirm if it's worth it or not? :)
Honestly I think it depends on what kind of player you are. If you're newer to street fighter and fighting games in general and really like to get into the science of it, then I think it's fantastic. For me personally it's worthless as I don't get much out of it besides checking out a few select hitboxes.

hitsugi

Give Guy his Alpha 3 chains back and we'll be straight.

Or hell, just make Guy's close s.LK have some form of a purpose... it's possible to do close s.LK -> run slide.... but no one will ever do that. In the Alpha series he had an extended chain with it but for whatever reason it's absent and it is probably the most worthless normal in the entire game.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Give Guy his Alpha 3 chains back and we'll be straight.

Or hell, just make Guy's close s.LK have some form of a purpose... it's possible to do close s.LK -> run slide.... but no one will ever do that. In the Alpha series he had an extended chain with it but for whatever reason it's absent and it is probably the most worthless normal in the entire game.

To be fair in A3 Guy's close short wasnt amazing either. You could link off of it but it was never a great move. I don't think Guy is bad at all though. I mean Super Guy was an atrocity. Ultra Guy is occupying the ambiguous mid tier space we found navigational. Stand Rh is godlike and cr strong didnt really get nerfed..i mean it kinda did but for all intents and purposes it almost always still lands. Guy is good. I don't think he needs anything.

mbpm1

To be fair in A3 Guy's close short wasnt amazing either. You could link off of it but it was never a great move. I don't think Guy is bad at all though. I mean Super Guy was an atrocity. Ultra Guy is occupying the ambiguous mid tier space we found navigational. Stand Rh is godlike and cr strong didnt really get nerfed..i mean it kinda did but for all intents and purposes it almost always still lands. Guy is good. I don't think he needs anything.

navigable*

I think Guy is okay right now. Still not an easy character to use though.

hitsugi

Well, I'm not saying he's bad or anything.. I would say Guy is at his SF4 best now (he's been pretty solid since AE2012). I'm just saying his close s.LK is the most worthless normal in the entire game and it serves zero purpose; I've been confused about it since Super but it is what it is..

Naturally if Guy had his A3 chains (juggles, mainly) back, he would be broken.. but I do miss those combos.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
navigable*

I think Guy is okay right now. Still not an easy character to use though.

I think he's damn good now. His stand roundhouse gives him much more damage than his crouching strong. He has a 3 frame normal and his bushin flip has regular jump recovery. He's not an easy character to pick up, but he's not Gen either. Just being honest.

Well, I'm not saying he's bad or anything.. I would say Guy is at his SF4 best now (he's been pretty solid since AE2012). I'm just saying his close s.LK is the most worthless normal in the entire game and it serves zero purpose; I've been confused about it since Super but it is what it is..

Naturally if Guy had his A3 chains (juggles, mainly) back, he would be broken.. but I do miss those combos.

Ok that move is worthless. Guy can't have his chains back because the character models just dont deform to that extent in this game. Ultra Guy is a damn good character. He isn't A3 Guy. We just gotta take that L

hitsugi

Ok that move is worthless. Guy can't have his chains back because the character models just dont deform to that extent in this game. Ultra Guy is a damn good character. He isn't A3 Guy. We just gotta take that L

Me, you, and Rock in Guy mirror lobby. Let's make it happen.

A6h6L1Q.jpg

profound sadness

Me, you, and Rock in Guy mirror lobby. Let's make it happen.

im down

I might've played like 45-50 ranked matches today. Only lost one.

And I'm still salty about that one L.

You and these win streaks, I get randomed by beginners/really shitty players at least once or twice every hour and lose to dumb ass tactics a lot. Earlier I lost the first two games to both a Cody player who kept doing zonk on wake up and a Sagat player who kept doing tiger knee whenever I got close to him.

Took me 3 games to finally beat them and stop their constant spamming of those respective moves. Cody player was a no show for the 4th game and the Sagat player messaged me right after saying "Seriously" because I beat him with 3 consecutive far MK to stop his constant attempts to TK me when we were close to each other. Why shouldn't I, if you don't stop, why should I? He tells me he'll just DP me next time I try that lol.

mbpm1

Thoughts: taking a break can make you play better once you get back in. Taking a break after that makes you lose to 400 pp ranked players

You and these win streaks, I get randomed by beginners/really shitty players at least once or twice every hour and lose to dumb ass tactics a lot. Earlier I lost the first two games to both a Cody player who kept doing zonk on wake up and a Sagat player who kept doing tiger knee whenever I got close to him.

Took me 3 games to finally beat them and stop their constant spamming of those respective moves. Cody player was a no show for the 4th game and the Sagat player messaged me right after saying "Seriously" because I beat him with 3 consecutive far MK to stop his constant attempts to TK me when we were close to each other. Why shouldn't I, if you don't stop, why should I? He tells me he'll just DP me next time I try that lol.
It was like 15th ranked Evil Ryu on XBL. I should've won, "I TECHED THAT SHIT" then got chipped out by an EX DP. What made it hurt more was that the dude screamed into his mic "YESSSSS" when I lost
zqlHLpA.png

I usually don't play all too much ranked, but I really want to get high up on the Elena boards (Fragment is like top 20 or something I think).

Personally.. playing Cody on ranked is one of the scariest characters. When he has meter and you're knocked down, its a straight up guessing game.

Will he grab?
Will he do a walk up ex Zonk which will go through all my options? pls

I got up to 4300pp this session.. honestly was a lot easier than I thought it'd be.

its either I'm mad nice or just Elena
Thoughts: taking a break can make you play better once you get back in. Taking a break after that makes you lose to 400 pp ranked players
Sometimes I do get burnt out. I've been playing like mad ever since I started finally winning money in tournaments. Made me want to do better. Now I'm taking notes and all that jazz.. I got a feeling if I lose earlier now it'll just make me feel worse tho.

Marz

It was like 15th ranked Evil Ryu on XBL. I should've won, "I TECHED THAT SHIT" then got chipped out by an EX DP. What made it hurt more was that the dude screamed into his mic "YESSSSS" when I lost
zqlHLpA.png

I usually don't play all too much ranked, but I really want to get high up on the Elena boards (Fragment is like top 20 or something I think).

Personally.. playing Cody on ranked is one of the scariest characters. When he has meter and you're knocked down, its a straight up guessing game.

Will he grab?
Will he do a walk up ex Zonk which will go through all my options? pls

I got up to 4300pp this session.. honestly was a lot easier than I thought it'd be.

its either I'm mad nice or just Elena

Sometimes I do get burnt out. I've been playing like mad ever since I started finally winning money in tournaments. Made me want to do better. Now I'm taking notes and all that jazz.. I got a feeling if I lose earlier now it'll just make me feel worse tho.

Post up some replays tho so we can see this godlike Elena in action.

I don't do slides*

*idoexrunslidefadc

i do slides <_>

in fact, i do whole screen slides (75% of the time, works everytime).

they think to themselves "he just slid like 3 times, surely he won't do a 4th for an unsafe move on block"

then they forget i belong to the school of JUST DO IT™

Speaking of Guy slides, here is a little story from the past that I told once back in SF4 OT2 or 3. It was the first tourney after AE came out and I was rocking my brand new low tier Evil Ryu. I face this Guy player who I could tell was either a beginner or just a low level player. I played his Sagat in casuals and beat him fairly easily. When I face him in a tourney match he plays Guy and his entire strat was to runaway and do run slide or run over head. I somehow keep guessing wrong and get extremely frustrated because of this and his constant up back.

I lose the first game and I'm furious. I go back to my old main, Ken, and start spamming step kick like there is no tomorrow. I beat him fairly easily after that but I'm still angry that I could lose to such a simple and shitty tactic. Funny thing is that to this day this tactic still works pretty well against me :\

ArjanN

Speaking of Guy slides, here is a little story from the past that I told once back in SF4 OT2 or 3. It was the first tourney after AE came out and I was rocking my brand new low tier Evil Ryu. I face this Guy player who I could tell was either a beginner or just a low level player. I played his Sagat in casuals and beat him fairly easily. When I face him in a tourney match he plays Guy and his entire strat was to runaway and do run slide or run over head. I somehow keep guessing wrong and get extremely frustrated because of this and his constant up back.

I lose the first game and I'm furious. I go back to my old main, Ken, and start spamming step kick like there is no tomorrow. I beat him fairly easily after that but I'm still angry that I could lose to such a simple and shitty tactic. Funny thing is that to this day this tactic still works pretty well against me :\

Well, he's basically just making high risk bets and getting lucky.

stn

^ That's the story of my life with SF4. I play a really strong ground game and always have high intensity matches against ground-based characters. The moment I face a fast character with a quick overhead, I'm lost.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
i do slides <_>

in fact, i do whole screen slides (75% of the time, works everytime).

they think to themselves "he just slid like 3 times, surely he won't do a 4th for an unsafe move on block"

then they forget i belong to the school of JUST DO IT™

But do you do wake up ex bushin flips?

I've tried! It always gets to the youtube uploading part then says Youtube service not available after waiting like 25 minutes
zqlHLpA.png

This is basically the best thing about the PC version right now. Encoding is super fast and is done after you rewatch your match just one time. After that you can go straight to uploading it. I expect the PS4 version to be similar whenever it comes out.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Does slide or overhead break focus?

Dartastic

Speaking of Ultra 4 on PS4...where the hell is it?

It's spring. MKX comes out next month, and after that I consider May summer...

I bought PC version due to impatience and totally regret it. I'd dip again on PS4 at a fair price, but knowing Capcom it won't be.
I've been wondering this as well. There isn't even a release date on it.

xCobalt

This is basically the best thing about the PC version right now. Encoding is super fast and is done after you rewatch your match just one time. After that you can go straight to uploading it. I expect the PS4 version to be similar whenever it comes out.

It won't better too much since the PS4 can natively upload gameplay.

Rice just Ultra 2 when you play a retard Guy like that. They'll die.

I'm too afraid they'll run and do nothing. U2 has tons of recovery so they can do whatever they want after that. In the past I also tried focus, but like you guys pointed out the overhead will beat that. I've also tried do far fierce. It will counter hit the overhead for 150 damage, but loses to the slide. I feel like my best bet is to react with red focus because my actual reactions aren't going to cut it.

It won't better too much since the PS4 can natively upload gameplay.

I completely forgot about that because I rarely ever touch my PS4. Which is pretty cool since we can upload rage quits and just shit that happens in between matches if we wanted. Recording training mode stuff too will be a no brainer for guys like me that don't know shit about how to record and upload on PC. PS4 still collecting dust until USF4 and SFV eventually arrives.

Man I'm playing like shit tonight, just lost like 700BP consecutively. Time to hang it up for tonight, I'm too salty to continue. Missing the easiest punishes. I'll get back in the top 100 Honda players in a few days I guess.

vg260

I've been wondering this as well. There isn't even a release date on it.

Yeah, the silence is so odd, but maybe they're just waiting until after MK is out and the MK hype dies down. They gotta get it out by Evo, right?

I'm guessing maybe late June.

mbpm1

Was just picking random chars yesterday in an offline set with a friend and I tried Sim out for the first time.

my friend plays Yang so that was fun

Sim life is hard

Top Bottom