• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Okay, I have some more Blanka shit to post up, this time regarding Electricity and a great set up in the corner, once again, bunch of text incoming

Finishing combos with HP Ball is the most common special for Blanka, it gives the highest output options for damage and stun, and causes a soft knockdown. However it has one big flaw, especially in the corner, it pushes you away from the opponent. You could dash or hop forward, except if your opponent quick rises(which is almost all the time after HP Ball) your open for a reversal or normal to the face uncontested. This is especially bad in the corner, you have worked your opponent into a bad postion, and your basically giving them free breathing room despite getting the hit. As I have said before, most Blankas under utilize electricity, and especially in the corner. Yes you lose out on a little bit of damage and stun, but you keep right on your opponent, being able to immediately pressure again, and also opening up one of, in fact, the strongest (well outside of unblockables) ambiguous jump ins he has imho. So here are my findings on this.

Electricity, like HP Ball, causes soft knockdown. In the corner, Electricity doesnt push you out like HP Ball. Finishing with HP Electricity does more Damage than LP Electricity, but has more recovery, making a jump in follow up more susceptible to being reversaled. LP Electricity does less damage, the same amount of stun, and is more forgiving on the follow up. The timings are as follows.

The Setup

After say a jab electricity when they are in the corner, take one step back as soon as you recover, just before Blankas back foot hits the ground, jump forward, mk, and hp will both hit in the front. If you jump roughly 2-3 frames earlier, they will instead crossup, This is really hard to tell the difference unless you really know what you are supposed to be looking for. For HP to crossup, you need to hit high, not deep after a LP Electricity for it to hit. After a HP electricity, you need to wait a frame or two longer before you hit HP in the air, as it is a tighter window to have it connect. Against Taller characters you will have to adjust timing slightly, same with small hurtbox characters, as you will whiff and can be punished. You can also immediately jump forward after Electricity for a crossup with either MK or HP, however if you hit HP early, it can instead be a fake crossup on a decent chunk of the cast. One positive of the immediate jump is if your opponent does not quick stand, you have enough time to corpse hop out of the corner and still be safe. You can utilize this jump in with Jump MP or LP to set up a tick throw or a frame trap if you wish. It also functions as a safe jump against some reversals, I need to do more testing to pinpoint all of them.

A huge plus to this jump in, is if you land in front and get the hit, you can confirm into Electricity and immediately setup the jump in again. Some examples of how to follow up after hit are as follows.

Jumping MK:
Cr.LK(or Cr.LP, or S.LP)-HP Electricity= 202 Damage, 310 Stun. LP Electricity=186 Damage
Cr.LK-S.LP-HP Electricity= 212 Damage, 330 Stun. LP Electricity= 198 Damage
Cr.MK-HP Electricity= 242 Damage, 360 Stun. LP Electricity= 226 Damage
Cl. S.MP-S.LP-EX Electricity= 269 Damage, 380 Stun

Jumping HP:
Cr.MK-HP Electricity= 272 Damage, 460 Stun. LP Electricty= 264 Damage
Cr.MK-S.LP-HP Electricity= 282 Damage, 480 Stun. LP Electricity= 268 Damage
Cl. S.MP-S.LP-EX Electricty= 299 Damage, 480 Stun.

You can also cancel a confirmed Electricity into LP Super in the corner. MP and HP will whiff. This can also be used to chip out if need be. If so, make sure you cancel after HP electricity (more blockstun) and be aware that invincible EX moves(Ryu's EX Shoryuken) can beat it outright. If you do cross them up, and end up in the corner, make sure you finish with HP Ball or electricity to knock them down, and push them away to give yourself some breathing room to move out of the corner. You can also get creative, for example. Crossup HP-Cr.MK.-HK Upball- FADC forward dash, as you finish the dash, they will just be out of hit stun, allowing you to back throw them back into the corner leading to another setup.

On a final note, you dont have to jump in, instead opting for a grounded frame trap approach, or a pass through ball gimmick. Immediately after electricity, if they quick stand, HP Ball, you will pass through, allowing for a back throw, electricity, jab electricity, or straight into Ultra 1 shenanigan if your feeling cheeky.

Thats that, a lot of text I know, but hopefully its useful for you guys in some way, I'll update what reversals it works on after I figure them out.

xCobalt

Training mode.

Yup.

When testing how negative a move is, I usually just pick Ken as the P1 side and record your character doing the setup. His DPs and Super will punish moves that are -2 to -4. If the dps are blocked, I go to a grappler and try Ultra punishing it.

Won a team tournament on Saturday. Got bodied in singles.

Still feels good to win something though, the top players in Toronto usually win singles then team together and win the team so it felt good. I've been getting bodied by these guys for so long.

Last 4 events I've went to I've won some money. After years of L's.. its finally paying off.

Sheroking

Anyone ever run into a Mexican Honda player named m0y0? First time I've ever been clearly lag switched on XBL.

Did three full screen random ultras on me and it worked because it lag spiked the exact same way three times (like the "connecting" notices were all identical to each other). I couldn't move at all and got hit.

I dodged the third ultra by jumping and he immediately DC'd (the punish would have killed him).

Any tips for trying to learn Guile? I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting to his play style. I learned to play Street Fighter competitively with Abel and have all the way from Vanilla to Ultra. The only characters I really played outside of Abel were Makoto, Dudley and T. Hawk, all of which have a super rushdown style. Trying to adjust to Guile's playstyle has been frustrating to its very core. I constantly move myself into the corner trying to charge, I don't know when I should be charging or when I should be giving it up to escape a situation. And don't get me started on characters who can modify their jump arc in some way like Decapre, Juri, divekick characters, etc. I feel like most of my losses come from 25% execution errors (which is fine, not worried about it, that will come with time) and 75% just not having an idea of what I should be doing in any given situation. Any tips from Guile players or from players who can easily switch between rushdown/turtle characters?

stn

Any tips for trying to learn Guile?
He's simple to play but executing with him is hard due to the weaker nature of fireballs in SF4. So, with that said, you have to use all of his tools consistently to succeed.

1. Learn when to use his normal AA's.
-st. fp
-cr. fp
-st. mk (must be in neutral)

2. Use his normals to move
-back + st.mk/st.lk
-back + st. rh (good for post-Boom pressure)

3. Use his pokes
-cr. mk
-cr. lk

4. Use his AA specials
-EX flash kick
-Flash kick at certain ranges

You need to switch it up between throwing booms to bait jumps and throwing booms to create safe pressure. Essentially you want to get used to throwing LP booms and then following behind them to initiate a reaction.

mbpm1

Was hanging tight like a month ago in ability after I wasn't able to get regular online practice anymore but by now it's pretty clear that lack of regular play is killing me lol

Sad feeling trying to hold on to 600 or so pp online.

Marz

Was hanging tight like a month ago in ability after I wasn't able to get regular online practice anymore but by now it's pretty clear that lack of regular play is killing me lol

Sad feeling trying to hold on to 600 or so pp online.

Wait you can't get past 600 pp?

He's simple to play but executing with him is hard due to the weaker nature of fireballs in SF4. So, with that said, you have to use all of his tools consistently to succeed.

2. Use his normals to move
-back + st.mk/st.lk
-back + st. rh (good for post-Boom pressure)

i wish i could emphasize this enough for people trying to get into guile how important these moves are.

you aren't a sitting target while charging. You have mobility options.

particularly for U2. If you do U2 when the enemy is at guile's st. HP length, they still have enough time to jump and attack and land safely in front of the sonic boom.

HOWEVER, i always make it a habit to do a back kick hop to unleash the U2 because it pushes me back enough to bait the player into thinking he still has the distance to jump over the U2 and hit me.

Also, when you get into a projectile match with someone, you can do the st. lk to move forward in between projectiles and close the distance. when close enough, you can unleash U2 to nullify their projectile and clip their fingers for U2 to connect.

mbpm1

get an xbox breh

Getting a new laptop so nah. One of the few benefits of 9-5 life.

Tbh I shouldn't even have played more than two matches at that time.

Basically every match I couldn't be sure whether I would even be able to tech a throw or hit basic two frame links or even punish dps properly because of how frames were.

But online is crack so I kept playing and losing lol

Here is the news many of us have been waiting for. USF4 comes out May 26th in the US and Europe

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...id=589081840134135808&adbpl=tw&adbpr=10671602

I'm getting both my VLX and TE2 next 2-3 weeks so at least I won't have to wait too long to put them to use on my PS4. But yeah, I'm glad we finally have a release date and it's not too long from now. Can't wait to put some of the PS4 features to use and hopefully the online is better than PS3 and PC because that's the two I'm stuck with and both them can be pretty bad more often then not these days.

xCobalt

Here is the news many of us have been waiting for. USF4 comes out May 26th in the US and Europe

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...id=589081840134135808&adbpl=tw&adbpr=10671602

I'm getting both my VLX and TE2 next 2-3 weeks so at least I won't have to wait too long to put them to use on my PS4. But yeah, I'm glad we finally have a release date and it's not too long from now. Can't wait to put some of the PS4 features to use and hopefully the online is better than PS3 and PC because that's the two I'm stuck with and both them can be pretty bad more often then not these days.

How much did the sticks cost you? I impulsively bought the Hayabusa HRAP 4 on Amazon.com (I might have bought the last one). Order came to 175 or so - which was just under $220 CAD.

How much did the sticks cost you? I impulsively bought the Hayabusa HRAP 4 on Amazon.com (I might have bought the last one). Order came to 175 or so - which was just under $220 CAD.

About $500, 300 for the VLX and 200 for the TE2. I made a deal with my wife to sell off my old VLX in order to get the new one. I let my old one get in bad condition so I wanted to restore it. But instead of getting a new coat of paint for it I saw the new VLX and decided to get that instead.

So even without PS3 stick support, I'm all good to go to play against myself in SFV(with the PS4 and PC version) and boost in ranked.

xCobalt

About $500, 300 for the VLX and 200 for the TE2. I made a deal with my wife to sell off my old VLX in order to get the new one. I let my old one get in bad condition so I wanted to restore it. But instead of getting a new coat of paint for it I saw the new VLX and decided to get that instead.

So even without PS3 stick support, I'm all good to go to play against myself in SFV(with the PS4 and PC version) and boost in ranked.

It's pretty hard finding a place in Canada to buy a PS4 stick. ~$200 seems pretty standard now.

I'm not sure if I'll sell my old stick or maybe find someone to mod it for ps4 compatibility.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Used to play a lot of SSF4(AE) but never played ultra.

Is there a good enough community online on 360, or would it better to wait for USF4 on PS4 (provided it's perfect and has no input/frame issues)?

Bear in mind I'll need to get a stick for either option but a PS4 console too (which seems like a better investment as I want Bloodborne and SF5*).

*if it's not plagued with pay-to-win bullshit/day one dlc etc.

Online is the best on Xbox, best connection and most players and more better players IMO. I think the player base on PS4 will be pretty strong though because I imagine that a lot of veterans will be moving on to the PS4 version in preparation for SFV and because the PS4 will probably be more heavily adopted by the FGC.

mbpm1

After getting my new laptop I was finally able to play online (or indeed, play at all) again.

Found a gaffer, markypoo? or something and that was cool

If I learned anything from this session it's that changing up your rhythm can help a lot. Just by delaying my timing a little more I went from eating counterhits by a Guile and losing to counterhitting him and winning.

Also I learned that I still suck. Always a good lesson to learn. And Ken feels like a decent matchup vs Eryu, faster cr. mk hurts him.

Pachinko

I Just played this on 360 for an hour and a half , my buddy opened a 4 person lobby and we had a few matches and then some other Canadian ranked 1188th in PP joined up and schooled us for about 10 matches. The last couple were almost like he was trying to train us a bit , kind of cool.

Shortly afterwards another Canadian joined up , this guy had a really good Dee Jay but he played a few other characters and beat us hard all the way until the last match.

I always forget just how much fun it is to just sit and play SF4 for a while , can't wait until it's out on PS4 next month too , hopefully capcom uses that PS3 stick code , at least for USF4 it would be nice.

ShinMaruku

I think I'll do 1 hour of practice today on Juri and Ibooty bread and Butters. I need to get my girls back up to speed.
9e700e419cd6a0b4f5171a014ecad5d0-d4yy0e2.jpg

I want to make a series of video tutorials about how to get into fighting games. Below is a rough draft of what I'm thinking of putting together. I just started it an hour ago, so it has a ton of gaps. I'm hoping folks here will give me feedback on the structure, as well as subjects that should be included, so that it can be a more full presentation for those wanting to learn. Even the main categories aren't set in stone, but it's how I think of things - maybe someone here will have a better breakdown.

I. Mechanics
a. Attacks​
i. Hitboxes
ii. Hurtboxes
iii. Priority
iv. Invincibility
v. Clashing​
b. Frame Data​
i. Frame Rates
ii. Frame Advantage
iii. Frame Disadvantage
iv. Safe Moves
v. Unsafe Moves​
c. Resource Management​
i. Meter
ii. Bursts
iii. Health
iv. Timer​
II. Psychology
a. Neutral​
i. Spacing
ii. Pokes
iii. Openings
iv. Rushing
v. Predictability​
b. Offense​
i. Frame Traps
ii. Option Selects
iii. Mixups​
1. Overheads
2. Lows
3. Grabs
4. Tick Throws​
iv. Predictability​
c. Defense​
i. Predictability​
III. Execution
a. Controllers
b. Pressure
c. Combos
d. Muscle Memory vs. Visual vs. Audio Cues
e. Pressing Buttons With Intention​
IV. Playing and Learning
a. Picking a Game
b. Picking a Character​
i. Watch Videos​
c. Forums
d. Videos
e. Feedback​
i. Be Critical​
f. Playing Matches​
i. Locals
ii. Online Play​
g. Training Mode​
i. Have Goals​

That might be a bit much initially, I can see someone definitely appreciating something like that once they learn the absolute basics. When I try to teach someone a fighting game I ALWAYS start with blocking. If you can't block and defend yourself, you can't play. Period.

Edit: I would probably change the order of some of those things.

I'll try to get more specific once I'm not on my phone.

ShinMaruku

It is a lot initially but when they see that's what gets them to ground level and they layer things in it's a great point to start people on.

Speaking of which anybody on psn want to go for a few rounds? I am practicing up my Ibooty and Juri.
ba70d13b58c8a54525fbb1fcfa53a481.jpg

so no patch for PS3 sticks on the horizon?

I have too many sticks already. I don't want to buy another one.

So how many of you getting Ultra PS4?

I'm getting it, I also ordered two new sticks for this and SFV whenever it comes out next year. I just go my VLX today and the TE2 should be here in a few days. But I'm actually kind of excited about the PS4 version because I'm looking forward to using the extra features that the PS4 has like streaming and recording and uploading to youtube over the other versions. Now whenever I find something I can upload it and claim to be the first to find it. With streaming I'm not trying to gain a audience or anything like that, I just think it would be cool to look back at my archives and to be able to see the matches in which people rage quit.

I do have the PC version and I know it can do everything and more but I'm not literate in that kind of stuff and nothing beats the ease and comfort of just a few button presses to get the same result.

Onemic

Im still wondering how certain pro players will cope with the lack of select plinking in all tournaments once PS4 USF4 releases. It'll be interesting to see how they adapt.

Vice

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162731977]Anybody got secret tech for the Ken vs Sakura/Poison matchups?

I've finally developed my first option select with ken :3[/QUOTE]

Os heavy uppercut wrecks Poison's wakeup options. Beats backdash, cataches the backlip and will beat out every uppercut or trade with EX. She shouldn't be able to use any safejump setups against Ken and some of her safe fireball pressure setups in the corner will be beat clean by by medium uppercut which catches a lot of Poison's off guard.

Top Bottom