• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Onemic

Well you didn't really do much. You barely threw out any rekka's and you did no flying kicks or whatever the hell they're called. Not dissing your play if that's your playstyle, but just wondering why you didn't throw out much offense.

Im scared shitless of grapplers.

Its gotten to the point that I play super defensive because nothing I do ever works against them. I try being offensive and die even quicker than being defensive. One bad rekka, and they get in and cmd grab/lariat till I die, so over time I just began to be extremely cautious when using them. another thing is that online grapplers tend to jump in a lot, and the range they jump from is generally where their longest range jumpin normal will just hit. At that range Fei's DP gets beat every time(this actually applies to everyone with a long range jumpin normal), So I spend a lot of time looking to st.hk in time. Not so much Hugo, but definitely against gief and hawk it seems like my normals aside from st.hp just lose to their pokes. I just dont know how to play grapplers in general.

Yang is my main, so what you saw there was probably the best you'll see me perform against a grappler lol. With Yang I have a near 100% failure rate against all grapplers aside from Hakan.(but Hakan isnt a real grappler anyway Kappa)

Pretty much, I need to do long sets with a grappler to really understand ho to play them, which is something I've never done. Yams has to get his ass on Steam.

Im scared shitless of grapplers.

Its gotten to the point that I play super defensive because nothing I do ever works against them. I try being offensive and die even quicker than being defensive. One bad rekka, and they get in and cmd grab/lariat till I die, so over time I just began to be extremely cautious when using them. another thing is that online grapplers tend to jump in a lot, and the range they jump from is generally where their longest range jumpin normal will just hit. At that range Fei's DP gets beat every time(this actually applies to everyone with a long range jumpin normal), So I spend a lot of time looking to st.hk in time. Not so much Hugo, but definitely against gief and hawk it seems like my normals aside from st.hp just lose to their pokes. I just dont know how to play grapplers in general.

Yang is my main, so what you saw there was probably the best you'll see me perform against a grappler lol. With Yang I have a near 100% failure rate against all grapplers aside from Hakan.(but Hakan isnt a real grappler anyway Kappa)

Pretty much, I need to do long sets with a grappler to really understand ho to play them, which is something I've never done. Yams has to get his ass on Steam.
I would play with you if I wasn't so lazy and just installed the pc version. Bought that shit for 5 bucks and haven't touched it. I still haven't fucked with my ps3 version either.

Anyway, there's a few pieces of advice I can give:

Have a counter pick. I can understand if you don't wanna do that, so feel free to ignore it if you'd like.

Learn a grappler. Learning a character you have trouble with is one of the best ways to figure out how to fight against them in my opinion. Every time I've gotten fed up with getting my ass beat by a particular character, I've sat down and learned how to use them (Ibuki being the exception), and it has helped tremendously.

Or just try a bunch of different shit with your current character(s). If you say that you lose whether you're offensive or defensive, then what does it matter if you're doing random ass shit. I personally don't care about doing unsafe shit because I'd rather know that they can and will punish it than not test it and not know. In one of the rounds you did a rekka up to the second punch and he blocked it and just did a crouching HP. Now he could've been trying to do a 360, but even if he was I think he would've missed with the HP version. Plus he flubbed it anyway, which is something I would've wanted to know immediately. Hell, I likely would've done a chicken wing right out the gate just to see how see would react to it, I mean why not? I would've just held up anyway to avoid the 360 or just mashed out a dp, and if I was wrong with my choices then at least I learned so very early in the match. And if you're gonna play defensive then build some meter for safe rekka's and dp xx fadc. You had a full bar and never used ex at all.

But all of this is coming from an idiot with a very bizarre playstyle, so take it with a grain of salt if you want.

Onemic

I would play with you if I wasn't so lazy and just installed the pc version. Bought that shit for 5 bucks and haven't touched it. I still haven't fucked with my ps3 version either.

Anyway, there's a few pieces of advice I can give:

Have a counter pick. I can understand if you don't wanna do that, so feel free to ignore it if you'd like.

Learn a grappler. Learning a character you have trouble with is one of the best ways to figure out how to fight against them in my opinion. Every time I've gotten fed up with getting my ass beat by a particular character, I've sat down and learned how to use them (Ibuki being the exception), and it has helped tremendously.

Or just try a bunch of different shit with your current character(s). If you say that you lose whether you're offensive or defensive, then what does it matter if you're doing random ass shit. I personally don't care about doing unsafe shit because I'd rather know that they can and will punish it than not test it and not know. In one of the rounds you did a rekka up to the second punch and he blocked it and just did a crouching HP. Now he could've been trying to do a 360, but even if he was I think he would've missed with the HP version. Plus he flubbed it anyway, which is something I would've wanted to know immediately. Hell, I likely would've done a chicken wing right out the gate just to see how see would react to it, I mean why not? I would've just held up anyway to avoid the 360 or just mashed out a dp, and if I was wrong with my choices then at least I learned so very early in the match. And if you're gonna play defensive then build some meter for safe rekka's and dp xx fadc. You had a full bar and never used ex at all.

But all of this is coming from an idiot with a very bizarre playstyle, so take it with a grain of salt if you want.

Funny thing is....Fei is my counter pick lol. Fei is my alt for Yang to make up for his bad MU's, specifically grapplers. Fei vs hawk/gief/hugo is supposed to be 5 - 5. I started working on a pocket Ken because I thought he'd be better than him in the grappler MU(plus I hear Ken beats Rolento, while Yang/Fei both have losing MU's against him), but I perform roughly the same lol. That tells me that it's simply a general lack of MU knowledge that's causing me to perform badly and not that I need a 6-4 MU to be able to beat them. I just wish I'd at least be able to watch high level Fei vs Hawk/Hugo matches...there are barely any. The only matches I could find of Fei v Hawk were of Native Impact destroying the fuck out of CJTruth

Onemic

One Mic two things

Do you still play Elena?

and are you coming out to Toryuken?

Elena is dead to me. I do really well with her, but Ive grown to hate how she plays. Works out though, facing an Elena player is 100% free for me lol.

I'm probably coming to Toryuken, ya.

Who does viper even lose to?

Blanka, no seriously. He completely destroys her burn kick shenanigans. Have charge? Up ball, all versions beat it out unless you hit the edge of her kick, which is rare and in that case it trades. Don't have charge? Coward Crouch, burn kick will completely whiff. Then cancel into electricity if she's right on you, catches her before she fully recovers most of the time(Lp version or EX are the best to use) If she isn't going to land next to you, cancel into hop away from her, nothing she can really do to catch or punish you fast enough. Plus you have the better normals, I honestly feel like this is one of Blankas better matchups. You just have to turtle that shit, she cant really approach you from the air, and as long as you don't give away free damage from random blanka balls, she has to approach you on the ground, and Blanka is stronger than her in that department.

I'll link the vids here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycl85VBlx2E For example I just get kept in the corner and don't know how to properly zone him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycl85VBlx2E
Is generally how can ya focus out and throw me when I was trying to throw.

Also I just think I need to find better ways of making my hits count. Sometimes we get same amout of first hit but they block and other bullshit.

I just think it's my lacking vocabulary.

Then he tells me go get mkx
I don't care for that game. Worse that it will probably be a bad time, I just say fuck it even if I was interested

Stop jumping so much, and utilize your normals and ground game more. Juri can out poke Dudley easily, no real reason to jump at him. Also use your anti airs more, helps create some space without sacrificing your position/ being pushed into the corner.

We doing a new OT for the PS4 version? if more people are going to pick up the game it might not hurt.

ShinMaruku

Never had the chance to find the ground game.

I think part of my problem is the skill gulf is too profound. Perhaps. Or I just need to take a short break and try again in 2 days.

Elena is dead to me. I do really well with her, but Ive grown to hate how she plays. Works out though, facing an Elena player is 100% free for me lol.

I'm probably coming to Toryuken, ya.

ibzvdln6dvnb2q46jh8.gif

Are you joining the tourney? Lets get some games in

Show me how free Elena is
kttcolidemonic

DunpealD

Never had the chance to find the ground game.

I think part of my problem is the skill gulf is too profound. Perhaps. Or I just need to take a short break and try again in 2 days.

Nah, the skill gulf isn't any part of it. Your compulsion to jump makes you predictable and easy to hang yourself. In addition to that you have a very low damage output, if you look at the linked videos your damage output is like 100 and sometimes just a raw damage of 160, including no proper punishes.

When I play you I feel like i can always get a jump out of you. So a lot of times i just need to play a little bit more defensive, pick a sweet spot and let you jump on me to let you hang yourself. Point in case Cammys DP in particular, Dhalsims normals and anything that works as anti air.

I'd recommend you to learn the ground game, like walking instead of jumping, neutral jumps to evade projectiles and some BnBs( punishes like cr. mk into wheelkick with Juri).

So if anything you need to play more to iron out your kinks. :p

Onemic

ibzvdln6dvnb2q46jh8.gif

Are you joining the tourney? Lets get some games in

Show me how free Elena is
kttcolidemonic

I think I will, just so I can get bodied in my first two matches.

Oh I'll make that Elena of yours free
Kappa
. You'll probably beat my ass to the ground because you're just a way better player than me, but sure Im down. I'll actually get to face a real Elena lol. Everyone on PC that plays her, plays her like a pre-patch week one Elena.

ShinMaruku

Hmm I'll keep those in mind. I get so litle off my hits because the combo system is arcane to me. Try a combo and get blocked. I get more out of my Ibuki combos.

DunpealD

Hmm I'll keep those in mind. I get so litle off my hits because the combo system is arcane to me. Try a combo and get blocked. I get more out of my Ibuki combos.

Nothing is really arcane about it and are actually fundamentals applicable to any game. In DoA5 you have strings that are moves that cancel into each other. SFIV is a little bit different. To put into perspective:
SFIV has chains, links and cancels.

Chains are normals cancelling into normals.
Example: Juri
This is a particular example. cr. lk into cr. lk. If you hit the second cr. lk before the animation of the first one ends it becomes a chain and thus it cannot be special cancelled. Other examples are target combos(Ibuki, Juri U1, etc.).
DoA5 equivalent are the combo strings.

Links are hitting the opponent after your animation. Same example as above, but different/later timing.
If you hit the cr. lk into cr. lk after the cr. lk animation ends it becomes a link and can be special cancelled. In this case it's a 2 frame link.
DoA5 equivalent is hitting the enemy while in stun with a new attack aka stun game, obviously a lot more lenient but also has counter ability to balance the leniency. More obvious example is hitting critical burst, equivalent to lvl 2 FA in SFIV, and then continuing the combo.

Special cancels enable you to cancel a normal into a special move, usually any. The input timing is more lenient/easy, since you have to input the special immediately after the normal.
Example Juri
cr. mk into pinwheel.
Usually does not exist in traditional 3D fighters with some exceptions.

There are also super/FA cancels. Which are less restrictive and can even cancel specials. Thus the infamous DP into FADC cancel.

Hitconfirms are typically mix of links and special cancels.

Z..

Sit in training with fight request turned on.

This worked like a charm, for some reason. Oo
20 seconds in I got a match, and after 4 or 5 wins in a row like this nobody's kicking me out anymore... huh.

By the way, recommended PS4/PC(ps3 compatibility would be awesome, but not required) sticks?

Also, how much should I sell my 360 TE stick for? It's in great condition despite it's 6 years of regular use.

Imm0rt4l

I'll link the vids here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycl85VBlx2E For example I just get kept in the corner and don't know how to properly zone him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycl85VBlx2E
Is generally how can ya focus out and throw me when I was trying to throw.

Also I just think I need to find better ways of making my hits count. Sometimes we get same amout of first hit but they block and other bullshit.

I just think it's my lacking vocabulary.

Then he tells me go get mkx
I don't care for that game. Worse that it will probably be a bad time, I just say fuck it even if I was interested
Zone dudley, low forwar, AA for free are just a few things. I don't play juri, but this matchup is really bad for dudley.

mbpm1

Played a long series (hours? had ti be) against a damn solid dude online. Dude was beating me with his side characters in matchups I thought I had solid knowledge of

kttcoliwow

After wiping the salt off I realized that I wasn't really being outfootsied or out guessed, but I was being out damaged at every turn. It's time to hit the lab and get some actual combos.

Well well, another rage inducing day for me. Dropped a lot of combos, played like shit, got random'd quite a bit, and played the game far far longer than I planned to. No matter what I tell myself I fall back into this extremely salty state of mind where I try and try to make up for losses, poor execution, and poor play. Problem is their is no making up for it, continuing to play only makes it worse but I can't help it but continue to do it anyways.

Shit like this makes me wish that I was still into video games(I only play USF4) so that I could spend my time playing other games or at least play team based multiplayer games where the blame can't solely be placed one me. But anyways I can't wait for the PS4 version of USF4 to come out.

ShinMaruku

A huge part that I am trying to learn the game is because I have DOA5 and playing other games too cool off from the rage of sf4.

Well well, another rage inducing day for me. Dropped a lot of combos, played like shit, got random'd quite a bit, and played the game far far longer than I planned to. No matter what I tell myself I fall back into this extremely salty state of mind where I try and try to make up for losses, poor execution, and poor play. Problem is their is no making up for it, continuing to play only makes it worse but I can't help it but continue to do it anyways.

Shit like this makes me wish that I was still into video games(I only play USF4) so that I could spend my time playing other games or at least play team based multiplayer games where the blame can't solely be placed one me. But anyways I can't wait for the PS4 version of USF4 to come out.
Team games aren't much better because than you just rage at your teammates for being bad (or people in turn rage at you). I hope for SF5 they bring back player matches, because I feel more stressed playing ranked matches for some reason.

Z..

This is me right here. If at any point at all during my playing I start to actually care about winning at all, it's a sure fire way of making sure I will lose every single match I get into. That's the biggest problems with fighting games, the more you try the worse you get because you start losing your cool and the only way to play these games properly is to stay relaxed and play methodically.

So wait, if you only play USF4, why would you buy a PS4? That seems like a ridiculous waste of money to play the same game you already have with minimal benefits.

Yeah once you're mindfucked it's kinda hard to get going again. It happens to me on occasion and as soon as I realize it I stop playing. It feels amazing when I know I've done it to my opponent though.

Anyway, why don't you play any other games anymore? There's admittedly a lot of boring shit out there, but there is some fantastic stuff as well.

I prefer playing SF4 to team games because I have no one else to blame but myself lol

Team games aren't much better because than you just rage at your teammates for being bad (or people in turn rage at you). I hope for SF5 they bring back player matches, because I feel more stressed playing ranked matches for some reason.

Before SF4 came out I was addicted to COD4: Modern Warfare. For over a year I was playing this game pretty heavily. And whether my team lost or not, it didn't matter to me as long as I had a good game. So what if we lost domination 200 to 170. I was 34-6 in KDR and called in two choppers, I got mine. This doesn't happen in fighting games, you either win or lose. No feeling good about yourself for doing a bad ass combo if you still lose in the end.

This is me right here. If at any point at all during my playing I start to actually care about winning at all, it's a sure fire way of making sure I will lose every single match I get into. That's the biggest problems with fighting games, the more you try the worse you get because you start losing your cool and the only way to play these games properly is to stay relaxed and play methodically.

So wait, if you only play USF4, why would you buy a PS4? That seems like a ridiculous waste of money to play the same game you already have with minimal benefits.

I think you nailed my feelings in your first paragraph. I was so upset to the point that whenever I ran into low level players I blindly rushed them down to try and beat them as quickly as possible so I could move on to the next match because I only wanted to play against guys around my skill level or better. My mind definitely wasn't straight.

As for the PS4, yeah it was stupid of me. But I didn't buy it for USF4. I bought it last year because I believed SFV would someday come out on PS4. And that is happening so at least I got what I wanted out of it. I do get some use out of it, but gaming is probably dead last on the list.

Anyway, why don't you play any other games anymore? There's admittedly a lot of boring shit out there, but there is some fantastic stuff as well.

Just don't have the passion to play anymore like when I was young. I've bought some games in recent years(Sleeping Dragons, LA Noir, Uncharted) but gave up on all 3 after 2-3 hours because I got bored. But watching other people play them, I can do that. This may sound weird but I like watching the games being played, always have even when I was a kid. So I watch playthroughs on youtube or watch new releases on Twitch.

Z..

Just don't have the passion to play anymore like when I was young. I've bought some games in recent years(Sleeping Dragons, LA Noir, Uncharted) but gave up on all 3 after 2-3 hours because I got bored. But watching other people play them, I can do that. This may sound weird but I like watching the games being played, always have even when I was a kid. So I watch playthroughs on youtube or watch new releases on Twitch.

I've been there before, and since you already have a PS4, I'm just gonna say one word: Bloodborne. If anything can bring you back from the brink, it's a From Software game.

DunpealD

Sounds counter productive to go on a rage blindly, especially in a non-tournament environment. Maybe you should look for a rage sub character(like Blanka), a different playstyle(like Ricky) or some physical action like poongko to cool you down. Personally, I always play online matches to have fun and learn, winning being dead last, in SFIV at least.

If you're looking for a 2v2 based fighting game with a great netcode I'd recommend Gundam EXVS FB, especially, since a budget version coming out coinciding with a new substantial patch. Iirc, there is still a dedicated community(western majority in the US). While the next iteration is already out in the arcades it'll probably still some time away from home console release and getting FB at a budget price isn't too bad as an entry.
Still have to warn you that even though it's a 2v2 game there is still a chance to rage about your partner :p.

Considering that all 3 you mentioned are considered AAA games and somewhat alike. Maybe you want try moving away from cinematic/open-world type of game. As Z.. has mentioned maybe Bloodborne, Souls, indie?, Yakuza?, oldschool type games are more to your liking.

I think you nailed my feelings in your first paragraph. I was so upset to the point that whenever I ran into low level players I blindly rushed them down to try and beat them as quickly as possible so I could move on to the next match because I only wanted to play against guys around my skill level or better. My mind definitely wasn't straight.

For me personally, when I play low level players I use as it a chance to work on aspects of my game, like specific anti-airs, whiff punishing normals, or trying a setup that I wouldn't be comfortable using yet against a more advanced opponent.

But when I do run into those really good players, I'll just message them asking if they want to play some more in endless, or that I would like some more experience in that matchup, I honestly don't think anyone has ever turned me down when I asked. Shit, Smug played me in a ft5 recently just cause I asked him.

I feel you bro. I am like that almost all the time, but I foolishly still buy games knowing damn well I probably won't enjoy them. I do end up beating them though but that's only because I hate wasting money. In all fairness though LA Noire was boring as fuck for the most part, Uncharted is horrible (at least the first one is), and Sleeping Dogs (I'm assuming you mean Dogs and not Dragons) is kinda ok but I think I'm over open world shit. You probably just need to play games that really engage your mind and test your reflexes like Street Fighter does. I think the Souls games would be up your alley if you were patient and gave them a bit of time. Maybe something by Platinum as well (Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Vanquish, etc). There are indie games I've played recently that are some of the most fun I've had in YEARS. I know you don't have an Xbox One, but Ori and the Blind Forest is for sure in my top 10 games in the past 5 years.

mbpm1

I feel you bro. I am like that almost all the time, but I foolishly still buy games knowing damn well I probably won't enjoy them. I do end up beating them though but that's only because I hate wasting money. In all fairness though LA Noire was boring as fuck for the most part, Uncharted is horrible (at least the first one is), and Sleeping Dogs (I'm assuming you mean Dogs and not Dragons) is kinda ok but I think I'm over open world shit. You probably just need to play games that really engage your mind and test your reflexes like Street Fighter does. I think the Souls games would be up your alley if you were patient and gave them a bit of time. Maybe something by Platinum as well (Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Vanquish, etc). There are indie games I've played recently that are some of the most fun I've had in YEARS. I know you don't have an Xbox One, but Ori and the Blind Forest is for sure in my top 10 games in the past 5 years.

Metal Gear Rising is a good pick. It's the only game in recent memory that I've been able to stay dedicated to and beat.

I've been looking into indie games. Specifically really simple games, Mighty Number 9 is a game I'm planning on getting. I use to be pretty into the MMX series back in the SNES days. I'm still salty that I was never able to beat the final boss in MMX4. So MN9 looks right up my alley with simple and straight forward gameplay. I'll be looking into some other games as well to see if they can ignite any passion I might still have to play something other than fighters(or Street Fighter specifically).

ShinMaruku

I would reccomend spectalce fighters and bloodborne if you want games to ignite your passion. I tend to avoid most western made games. They don't have the systems I crave.

Onemic

For me personally, when I play low level players I use as it a chance to work on aspects of my game, like specific anti-airs, whiff punishing normals, or trying a setup that I wouldn't be comfortable using yet against a more advanced opponent.

But when I do run into those really good players, I'll just message them asking if they want to play some more in endless, or that I would like some more experience in that matchup, I honestly don't think anyone has ever turned me down when I asked. Shit, Smug played me in a ft5 recently just cause I asked him.

wow you play some nice players.

A higher level player will just troll me and send me hate mail if I manage a lucky win.

I've been looking into indie games. Specifically really simple games, Mighty Number 9 is a game I'm planning on getting. I use to be pretty into the MMX series back in the SNES days. I'm still salty that I was never able to beat the final boss in MMX4. So MN9 looks right up my alley with simple and straight forward gameplay. I'll be looking into some other games as well to see if they can ignite any passion I might still have to play something other than fighters(or Street Fighter specifically).

the souls games can be a nice distraction. dynasty warriors (i.e. musous) are nice pick up and drop games.

i don't know how you are with bethesda RPGs, but Fallout:New Vegas is a work of art IMO (not technically Bethesda, but uses their assets).

I'm not gonna recommend mods, because i am the type of person where i feel that adding 3rd party mods takes away a bit from the experience unless its for game breaking bugs. However, i will recommend the new vegas DLC. the game itself is excellent, and the DLC only add onto a sweet package. Old World Blues should be played just for the atmosphere alone!

ShinMaruku

Smug is good people. :E

The true high level players will teach you and not just beat you then salt mine if you get a lucky win.

Well that's the ones I play.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Finally got my console wired again. Looking forward to USF4 PS4 in two weeks!

Just don't have the passion to play anymore like when I was young. I've bought some games in recent years(Sleeping Dragons, LA Noir, Uncharted) but gave up on all 3 after 2-3 hours because I got bored.

I'm kind of like this now, too. I still buy too many games and really should stop, but while I still enjoy arcade and arcade-style games (so fighting games, FPS multiplayer, beat-em-ups, etc.), I just can't get into 99% of all the "AAA" action/adventure games.

Top Bottom