• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
you're on the dpad, so just do:

fwd-diagonal, fwd-diagonal punch for the shortcut motion

the real motion is:

fwd, down, fwd-diagonal punch

I remember when I first started and didnt know what the hell that z meant either lol. And yes there is no tutorial unfortunately. The closest thing to a tutorial are the individual character challenges

I can give you a better breakdown if you wanna do an online training session, just add me on steam

I can do it now, but my God how are you supposed to figure that out on your own? I guess this isn't a noob friendly game. I'm glad I get to test this out before committing to a purchase as it might just be too nuts for me.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I can do it now, but my God how are you supposed to figure that out on your own? I guess this isn't a noob friendly game. I'm glad I get to test this out before committing to a purchase as it might just be too nuts for me.

It's the same Dragon Punch motion that has been in Street Fighter since the beginning. Learn that, the fireball motion (down, down-forward, forward + attack), and charge moves (hold away or down for two seconds, then press towards or up +attack) and you'll be good for 90% of the special moves in just about any fighting game.

Onemic

I've been playing a lot on PC. If anybody wants to get some games in, add me on Stream:

Skillzilla81

Suck at the game, but need practice for EVO.

Youre going to Evo? Youre probably better than me

...wait dont I have you on steam? I dont think we've ever played each other lol

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's the same Dragon Punch motion that has been in Street Fighter since the beginning. Learn that, the fireball motion (down, down-forward, forward + attack), and charge moves (hold away or down for two seconds, then press towards or up +attack) and you'll be good for 90% of the special moves in just about any fighting game.

I can now do his special moves and super move but I can't figure his ultra, it looks like it should be the super move but pressing punch 3x instead of once but it's not working. I just sold a CS GO skin so I can buy this without spending money but I'm not sold yet, I'm very overwhelmed. The game looks great though considering its age and 300fps on the benchmark. I want to try the netcode but not until I know the basics.

Edit: Apparently you can bind a button to all 3 punches which makes it so much easier to do.

Skilletor

...wait dont I have you on steam? I dont think we've ever played each other lol

Yeah, I've seen you playing Fightcade and 3s a lot recently. :p Just send me a message if you want to play. Usually around at night. Definitely up for games if you ever see me in-game.

I've gone to EVO past few years. :)

Getting married the Wed. before EVO this year!

This quote reminds me of a message I got from a Hawk player one time. The guy had low PP was mashing everything and random'd me. I look for a rematch and couldn't find him anywhere. Then I realize why, he was writing me a message and just sent it to me when I move onto another match. He said something like "you hella good, are you going to EVO?". I thought he was trolling me but I gave a simple answer in the form of "nope". He replies "exactly", I reply "yep".

Basically he's implying I'm not good enough to go to EVO. But that doesn't matter, anybody can go to EVO regardless of your skill level. I went in 2011 when I was far worse than I am now, and I still suck. We've seen guys on stream who only does special moves and jump back/forward. I found it amusing but didn't think this Hawk player was worth my time. He'd probably refuse a rematch anyways so I didn't want to give him any satisfaction.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to do these challenges and is it just me or is the timing insane? I'm only on #7 but the second attack never links, he either blocks if I'm too slow or nothing happens if I'm too fast, there doesn't seem to be any wiggle room at all.

Onemic

Now I remember why I dont play Elena. She makes me seem like Im way better than I am. Come back to Elena after not playing her for 8 months, start winning all my games. playing dudes with 3kpp is actually a legit match and not a free win for them. Currently hold a 70% win rate with her vs Yang's 49% and Fei's 50%. Feels bad man.

Yeah, I've seen you playing Fightcade and 3s a lot recently. :p Just send me a message if you want to play. Usually around at night. Definitely up for games if you ever see me in-game.

congrats man!

This quote reminds me of a message I got from a Hawk player one time. The guy had low PP was mashing everything and random'd me. I look for a rematch and couldn't find him anywhere. Then I realize why, he was writing me a message and just sent it to me when I move onto another match. He said something like "you hella good, are you going to EVO?". I thought he was trolling me but I gave a simple answer in the form of "nope". He replies "exactly", I reply "yep".

Basically he's implying I'm not good enough to go to EVO. But that doesn't matter, anybody can go to EVO regardless of your skill level. I went in 2011 when I was far worse than I am now, and I still suck. We've seen guys on stream who only does special moves and jump back/forward. I found it amusing but didn't think this Hawk player was worth my time. He'd probably refuse a rematch anyways so I didn't want to give him any satisfaction.

I always thought you had to qualify for Evo. Had no idea anyone could enter.

Trying to do these challenges and is it just me or is the timing insane? I'm only on #7 but the second attack never links, he either blocks if I'm too slow or nothing happens if I'm too fast, there doesn't seem to be any wiggle room at all.

Im guessing youre doing Ryu's cr.mp, cr.mp, cr.hk? That's a 1 frame link I believe. Man, this is taking back to 2010 when I first tried SF4, I couldnt do that shit at all for the longest time. It was even worse for me because I had no one to go to for tips on what I was doing wrong.

Basically it's a really tight link. You shouldnt even worry about it right now, because learning that isnt even central to what Ryu does.But since youre already doing it I'll give you a tip. if the cr.hk is blocked, that means you hit cr.hk too late. Try to get it in your mind to hit it just a tiny bit earlier. If the cr.hk doesnt come out at all, that means that you hit it too early, so try to hit the button just a little later. Once you keep doing that you'll eventually find the sweet spot and all three hits will connect. This is pretty much central to learning all links in the game and how you'll be able to find that sweet spot and connect them.

Honestly though if you want a move thats much more useful than that and what you'll be using all the time in matches just do cr.mk xx hadouken. (xx means cancel the move instead of linking it) it's really simple and a hell of a lot more useful.

Don't let your wife see you get bodied, that'd be a terrible honeymoon

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I thought doing the challenges would be a good way to learn but they're just frustrating, so I'm doing arcade. I might jump online after as there will be other free weekend noobs to play. Like in MKX I can learn a characters bnb combos and there's tons of videos explaining them but I can't seem to find anything like this for Ryu. If I can get good at 4 I'll be ready for 5 next year as I'm getting a PS4 in the Christmas sale, but right now I'm a deer in headlights.

Onemic

Yeah, I thought doing the challenges would be a good way to learn but they're just frustrating, so I'm doing arcade. I might jump online after as there will be other free weekend noobs to play. Like in MKX I can learn a characters bnb combos and there's tons of videos explaining them but I can't seem to find anything like this for Ryu. If I can get good at 4 I'll be ready for 5 next year as I'm getting a PS4 in the Christmas sale, but right now I'm a deer in headlights.

Beginner combos? Tutorials? Here. You. Go.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just did my first online game and it was like a slideshow, the girl was from the UK too but had an E PC rating, was that why? I won though so step off! :D

I can't find practise games, does everyone just play ranked? And does ranked do a good job of matching skill level?

Onemic

Just did my first online game and it was like a slideshow, the girl was from the UK too but had an E PC rating, was that why? I won though so step off! :D

Where are you from? If you're from NA, only play others from NA.

It's possible she actually had an E rated PC, but usually it just means they havent gone through the performance check or they have but it wasnt properly recorded. C's and B's are always accurate. Avoid them at all costs unless you want the game running at half the frame rate.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Where are you from? If you're from NA, only play others from NA.

It's possible she actually had an E rated PC, but usually it just means they havent gone through the performance check or they have but it wasnt properly recorded. C's and B's are always accurate. Avoid them at all costs unless you want the game running at half the frame rate.

I'm from the UK with an A PC. I can't seem to find people for practise or endless battle, I didn't want to jump straight into ranked.

Edit: Played someone else and it was perfect, other than the fact he had like 35k points and just fireball spammed me to death :(

Onemic

I'm from the UK with an A PC. I can't seem to find people for practise or endless battle, I didn't want to jump straight into ranked.

It's hard to find random people for online practice. For that you generally need to have a buddy you know IRL or online to join your game. For Endless, just host a game. People will generally join pretty quick.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's hard to find random people for online practice. For that you generally need to have a buddy you know IRL or online to join your game. For Endless, just host a game. People will generally join pretty quick.

OK, and is ranked balanced or will it just put me against whoever no matter skill level?

Onemic

OK, and is ranked balanced or will it just put me against whoever no matter skill level?

It's not like MKX lol. Just set it to find people of the same skill level as you and it will do an ok job at finding someone not that much above your level.

Check out the links I posted a few posts up too btw. It should really help with learning the game

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like MKX lol. Just set it to find people of the same skill level as you and it will do an ok job at finding someone not that much above your level.

Check out the links I posted a few posts up too btw. It should really help with learning the game

Yeah will do later, just learning as I go ATM. Time to hit ranked, I'm scared.

Edit: It can't find anyone as bad as my lol

Set it to any region and there's loads of green rooms, lost my first game to a French dude with his TV on so loud I could hear the sounds echoing. No input delay at all though.

Onemic

Yeah will do later, just learning as I go ATM. Time to hit ranked, I'm scared.

Edit: It can't find anyone as bad as my lol

Set it to any region and there's loads of green rooms, lost my first game to a French dude with his TV on so loud I could hear the sounds echoing. No input delay at all though.

Dont limit it to your region only because then it'll only limit you to the UK. Have it set to all, but only play people within Europe.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Dont limit it to your region only because then it'll only limit you to the UK. Have it set to all, but only play people within Europe.

Yeah that's what I'm doing now, finding games instantly with no lag or button delay at all, this online is just glorious. I have no idea what I'm doing so just getting bodied but at least I'm getting bodied smoothly. If MKX had this level of online I'd probably never leave the house.

DunpealD

Edit: Played someone else and it was perfect, other than the fact he had like 35k points and just fireball spammed me to death :(

A fellow European! Care to share your id in a pm? Depending on how good you are I can also give you some pointers.

Onemic, I added you as a friend and when I looked at your profile I see that you also went by Carlton Banks. I remember that name, I know I've played you a lot online in ranked a while back. I think you also sent me a friend request but I didn't accept it because I had no idea you were you lol. Well hopefully you accept mine this time around.

Onemic

Onemic, I added you as a friend and when I looked at your profile I see that you also went by Carlton Banks. I remember that name, I know I've played you a lot online in ranked a while back. I think you also sent me a friend request but I didn't accept it because I had no idea you were you lol. Well hopefully you accept mine this time around.

You played my fraudulent Dudley? Oh man, I must have gotten bodied hard haha.

Lemme know when you wanna play. I have to grind out matches hard today to get ready for tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I haven't won a single ranked game yet, still on 0 points! But damn, it's nearly midnight and I'm still finding games within 5 - 10 seconds and I haven't had a single laggy match since the first one.

Onemic

Well I haven't won a single ranked game yet, still on 0 points! But damn, it's nearly midnight and I'm still finding games within 5 - 10 seconds and I haven't had a single laggy match since the first one.

Your expectation shouldnt be to win right now, but I know the feeling. It took me about 20-25 matches before I finally won my first game in SF4, and it was a lucky win at that. The feeling though was soooo good.

Your biggest hurdle is that the game is 6 years old now and their are a lot of people who may not be great players, but they have a lot of experience. Even guys like that will be feasting on brand new players like yourself. If you want to improve, practice and you're going to have to take the beatings over and over until you start reaching new plateaus. All those links Onemic posted will be helpful as well.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Your biggest hurdle is that the game is 6 years old now and their are a lot of people who may not be great players, but they have a lot of experience. Even guys like that will be feasting on brand new players like yourself. If you want to improve, practice and you're going to have to take the beatings over and over until you start reaching new plateaus. All those links Onemic posted will be helpful as well.

That's the thing, I'm so late to the party and I'm just losing every match, half the time without getting more than a hit or two in and that's not fun at all. After my first night with the game I'm leaning against buying it when the trial runs out. I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens, watch some streams/videos and see if I can learn anything. I really WANT to like it, because the online is so good, but I don't know if I have it in my old body to spend the next 100 hours getting destroyed by people who have been playing for years.

mbpm1

What it really comes down to when you're brand new is finding consistently challenging but not too challenging competition. Unfortunately, this is hard as hell without say, coming in with a friend with the same level of inexperience and interest.

If that hadn't been my case I definitely wouldn't have stuck with this game for so long. Still, best of luck to you.

I took a long break from this game since Monster Hunter 4U came out and on top of that games like Bloodborne ate up my time. I hopped on the other day and decided to try Cody even though I never played him in an actual match before, since I wanted to try something else. I don't think I will be using Cody again haha. Also, I think I have a disconnect on my record. It probably look liked I pulled in between rounds too :(

BizzyBum

This game is not fun. If your looking for a fun game look elsewhere.

I've been catching Smug's streams lately and it must be amazing to play and have a win % of like 99%. Every time he ends his stream his record is like 40-1. I mean, he's making 3-4k pp users look like 1k.

When you're that good it must be fun. lol

ShinMaruku

I've been catching Smug's streams lately and it must be amazing to play and have a win % of like 99%. Every time he ends his stream his record is like 40-1. I mean, he's making 3-4k pp users look like 1k.

When you're that good it must be fun. lol

Those 3-4k players are buns though. Look what happened when he went to Japan. It's just that the US skill level is VERY low.

Myn

played a 3.2k pp Ryu who did nothing but jumping back and HK.

beginning of the match the first thing he would do is start jumping back doing HKs into the corner and stay there, making me chase him.

he was one of the most frustrating matches i've ever had. i knew what he was gonna do. his strategy was the most basic shit imaginable. but he was still grating my nerves.

all hits were trades. he knew basic Ryu comboes so once in a while he would randomly jump forward and do Ryu BnB off the ground. He would switch to HP to trade my anti airs.

at first i wonder how he got such a high rank. now i see how.

Oops that was me, sorry

Kaleinc

Banned
Is free weekend on steam so I bothered to download. Online is better now but not GFWL level. How can I change the flag?
When I join some players I get stuck on the VS screen and receive 'Lost connection to steam network' and lose points. Accidentally noticed when this happens cpu usage always jumps to 100%, wth?

you're on the dpad, so just do:

fwd-diagonal, fwd-diagonal punch for the shortcut motion

the real motion is:

fwd, down, fwd-diagonal punch

I cannot believe after 6+ years people are still saying this is a DP shortcut. It is not.

When people try DF, DF they're just messing up the input and doing an actual Dragon Punch shortcut, likely DF, D, DF.

the game gives you a DP for damn near any input you do with punches

Not that one!

I think F, D, F works
DF, D, DF too.
QCF x2 ....depending what is going on in the game.

I try not to use them because screws me up for other games. Except Guile U1, sod that input without changing it to an L motion.

mbpm1

DPs come out when you do (Any Forward input except jumping florward) + (Any down input) + (Any forward input)

So down forward + down back + down forward works, forward + down forward + up forward works, and related nonsense.

DF + DF doesn't work bc there needs to be an additional input, of course.

mbpm1

You can, and then lose 128 points in the process lol

I wish I could leave matches when it's clearly lagging from the start

I swear it mostly done on purpose.

Play one fine round, win, suddenly next round laggy.
Play one fine round, lose, next round fine, win, suddenly next round laggy.

Only in ranked. If replay same player, happens again under same circumstances.

/conspiracyhat

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Played my friend for a few hours, he hasn't played in ages but has played a fair amount so he won most of the time but I was winning some games and I improved for sure as the day went on, the first two hours didn't record for some reason but the last hour is here, VOD style.

BizzyBum

I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Real Arcade Pro. 4 Premium VLX arcade stick for the PS4.

I saw Amazon has a V.5 Hayabusa in stock for like $190 but the standard shipping was crazy long (said I'd get that shit in like July) and expedited shipping was an extra $50 so honestly the VLX was only $60 more with free shipping so I went with that.

I figure it's worth the price because I obviously will need one down the line for Street Fighter V anyway.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to buy the game and got about £20 worth of DLC free which I wasn't expecting.

EDIT: Yay, just got my first ranked win, it's not pretty but here it is!

Top Bottom