• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Kaleinc

Banned
Anyone else deal with this at all?
Evo 2012 Cafe:id team (KoF) which had the champ among them had to deal with that :)
http://dreamcancel.com/2012/07/21/dream-cancel-interviews-cafeid-kofxiii-players/

During top 8, we saw all the Cafe ID players using a table with a barrier separating them from their opponent. Please explain why you used this table and barrier during the finals.

Mad KOF : I never thought players would compete next to each other and put sticks on their laps at EVO. I watched people competing away from each other at the Shadowloo Showdown tournament stream, and expected the same fashion at EVO2012. However, I heard that it wouldn’t be the same as the Shadowloo tournament at EVO2012, so we made the stick tables a week before departing to EVO2012.
After the Mexico vs Korea team matches, we realized that they were really good. In addition, we realized that they baited us with empty button presses, and anticipated our moves by listening to our button presses or watching our hand motions. BALA was especially good at this mind game. So we started making the t-shirt view blocker after the team match.
I believe that people invented these console tactics because of the unique tournament environment in the US. However, I will keep my own style which is focusing on a gameplay itself without using console tactics.

Kensouzzang : Many Korean players have played fighting games on arcade cabinets with head-to-head setups. I believed that the participants would use their skills fully only if they played on setups which are similar to Korean arcades. Therefore, I designed the customized stick tables. After revising the design a few times and receiving feedback from players, we finalized the stick table to be portable and easy to disassemble / reassemble.
The Korea vs Mexico team match result was very unexpected to me. The Korean team started with good momentum, but started to lose a lot to BALA. It was the Korean team’s first time playing against console tactics. Although I considered myself a pretty good SSF4 player and had to play pools next morning, I spent much time thinking about anti-console tactics.
Fortunately, EVO provided everyone with really good headsets. To block the opponent’s view from Korean players’ hand motions, I simply added two frames on top of a table and hung a t-shirt. Once console tactics were no longer a problem, Mad KOF did much better than he did at the team match and won the tournament. Even other team’s players, such as Poongko and Romance, wanted to use the upgraded table. Mad KOF said the upgrade was the best move ever.

Hope SFV changes the ranking system to a single stat for each character. The PP system sucks and online full of players abusing it that just poison the player well.

Evo 2012 Cafe:id team (KoF) which had the champ among them had to deal with that :)
http://dreamcancel.com/2012/07/21/dream-cancel-interviews-cafeid-kofxiii-players/

wow, this is interesting!

On a side note, two of my friends are looking into fight sticks but deem them too expensive, so I mentioned they might like the fightpads instead. I also remembered that I have a USB saturn controller so they can test it out. Does anyone know if the USB Saturn pad works with Ultra on PS4 the same way PS3 sticks do? Or are the drivers specifically for arcade sticks?

Houndi101

Has the PS4 version been fixed yet?

Apparently it's now alot better, only like .2 input frames more compared to Xbox 360 release and the invisible projectiles have been fixed with the menu lag. As far as I know the only problem that persists is the sound glitches?

Send me a request and I'll add you

PSN - EyelessOrphan

I'll likely be on Destiny or some other shit, but just shoot me a message about playing and I'll likely take a break from whatever it is.....especially if it's Destiny.

I forgot to do this when you posted it about a week ago. I'll be sure to send it sometime today.

Send me a request and I'll add you

PSN - EyelessOrphan

I'll likely be on Destiny or some other shit, but just shoot me a message about playing and I'll likely take a break from whatever it is.....especially if it's Destiny.
Ok added, psn:direct_quote. Anyone else on PS4 looking to play sometime? God I gotta get used to the PS4 controller..
I forgot to do this when you posted it about a week ago. I'll be sure to send it sometime today.
What's your psn?

O
What's your psn?

Rice_Eater483

I'm down to play sometime

PSN: JayDee191

Yesterday was a strange day for me. Normally green bars are good and many yellow bar connections have been playable lately. But yesterday every thing was freaking horrendous. And yet I kept trying and trying to see if I could find a decent game. Never found one and it caused me to go on a bad losing streak where I lost to a couple of pretty bad players.

Danneee

So, I've been trying to get grips with Dan this week just to improve my Evil Ryu game. We'll see how that works out tomorrow...

Rufus - Poison matchup.

Yaaay. :(

It's like the devs thought having Sagat as an easy counterpick choice wasn't enough, so they stuck in a character that does an even better job of neutralising the entirety of Rufus' game plan.

Marz

Rufus - Poison matchup.

It's like the devs thought having Sagat as an easy counterpick choice wasn't enough, so they stuck in a character that does an even better job of neutralising the entirety of Rufus' game plan.

Yea that's definitely why they went with adding Poison to the game.

tLY8uir.jpg

This shit rattles my bones

Spuck-uk

Banned
Rufus - Poison matchup.

Zangief players find this quote hilarious

Made this Hugo player mad salty earlier. Playing Honda, finished first round with cr.mk hands into Ultra(character specific one frame link) had 3 bars going into the next round. He starts the round with a running grab, I jump, ex hands loop, jump, he whiffs throw, I continue smacking. 8 seconds in, 700+ damage and stun, then he disconnected. Honda can be so fun at times.

Lost 6 times in a row to seemingly good Dhalsim player. Playing as Cammy, approaching him was tough as nails because every time I tried to advance past a yoga flame he's stretch and get me.

Then theres his Ultra 1 > Teleport vortex which I really didn't know how to respond to. It's strange because I don't remember ever having this much trouble with Dhalsim players in any other version of Street Fighter, and the match up is technically in my favour, but damn he gave me so much trouble.

Any advice? His cr.stretch eats Spiral Arrows for days but its hard to manage that at times with the double threat of the Yoga flame. Jumping, similarly, just gets me knocked about with an anti air stretch *sigh*

Lost 6 times in a row to seemingly good Dhalsim player. Playing as Cammy, approaching him was tough as nails because every time I tried to advance past a yoga flame he's stretch and get me.

Then theres his Ultra 1 > Teleport vortex which I really didn't know how to respond to. It's strange because I don't remember ever having this much trouble with Dhalsim players in any other version of Street Fighter, and the match up is technically in my favour, but damn he gave me so much trouble.

Any advice? His cr.stretch eats Spiral Arrows for days but its hard to manage that at times with the double threat of the Yoga flame. Jumping, similarly, just gets me knocked about with an anti air stretch *sigh*

knock him down once = gg

So I have a friend who is looking to get into using an arcade stick. He doesn't have any systems other than PC and generally would just play Ultra on PS4 with me. Naturally, since he isn't going to be playing a crazy amount, I don't think he's too interested in spending 150+ on a quality stick. Are there any cheaper options out there that would work on PS4 and hopefully also PC so that he could at least get other mileage out of it?

Anything in the $80 range, maybe 120 at the most? Or is that asking too much?

Onemic

So I have a friend who is looking to get into using an arcade stick. He doesn't have any systems other than PC and generally would just play Ultra on PS4 with me. Naturally, since he isn't going to be playing a crazy amount, I don't think he's too interested in spending 150+ on a quality stick. Are there any cheaper options out there that would work on PS4 and hopefully also PC so that he could at least get other mileage out of it?

Anything in the $80 range, maybe 120 at the most? Or is that asking too much?

For PS4? Cheapest stick is the HRAP4 at 150.

Ophelion

I've always loved Street Fighter, but I've always been terrible at it. Hyped as I am for Street Fighter V, I've finally decided to do something about that. I know there's stuff that's not going to carry over, but I can at least learn to actually block things and how to approach without jumping in like a scrub all the live long day. I don't want to be Justin Wong, I just want to not be literally the worst.

Picked up Ultra on PS4. Training begins tonight. I'm just going to try and get as good as I can before V comes out and hope that I'm not so inflexible that I can't adapt. If anyone has any advice or warnings or whatever, I'm certainly open to that.

I really dig Juri, but I can tell she's on the harder side to get down, especially since I don't have a fightstick yet. I'll probably just start with Ryu since everything everywhere says he's best to start with. I guess. I dunno for sure yet. I think I'd miss Juri if I switched, but I don't want to handicap myself. I'm just sick of being so bad at this game.

Marz

I've always loved Street Fighter, but I've always been terrible at it. Hyped as I am for Street Fighter V, I've finally decided to do something about that. I know there's stuff that's not going to carry over, but I can at least learn to actually block things and how to approach without jumping in like a scrub all the live long day. I don't want to be Justin Wong, I just want to not be literally the worst.

Picked up Ultra on PS4. Training begins tonight. I'm just going to try and get as good as I can before V comes out and hope that I'm not so inflexible that I can't adapt. If anyone has any advice or warnings or whatever, I'm certainly open to that.

I really dig Juri, but I can tell she's on the harder side to get down, especially since I don't have a fightstick yet. I'll probably just start with Ryu since everything everywhere says he's best to start with. I guess. I dunno for sure yet. I think I'd miss Juri if I switched, but I don't want to handicap myself. I'm just sick of being so bad at this game.

Nice man. Just remember to not take your losses so hard because you will lose a lot for months. Just try to take the approach of learning from your losses and improving in different areas. Baby steps.

Ophelion

Nice man. Just remember to not take your losses so hard because you will lose a lot for months. Just try to take the approach of learning from your losses and improving in different areas. Baby steps.

I'm gunna try to think of it as being kinda like Dark Souls, honestly. I am prepared to die. A lot. But every death has data in it if you know what you're looking for. I'm not even worried about winning for the next...however many months. I just want to get better. From the fires of gratuitous ass beatings, I will make something of myself. Or I will face infinite obliteration as my pathetic strategies get blown up forever.

Either way, sounds like a hoot.

I was literally you about 6 years ago. SF has always been my favorite series, I've been playing it since 92 when I got started on the SNES version. Have played almost every version since then but I never actually tried to learn how to play the game. I picked up things here and there inbetween all those years but my BNB for 17 years was jump kick sweep as we all like to call it.

Then SF4 came out and I got it and started playing. I was getting upset about losing and took notice of things my opponent did to me that I couldn't or didn't know how to do. I started watching tons of match videos on youtube and then started stream monstering when that started to pick up. I wasn't satisfied doing jump kick sweep anymore. I wanted to learn how to hit links, I wanted to do DP, FADC, Ultra, and I wanted to learn all sorts of tactics that would help me to win. Whether it'd be frame traps, conditioning, or OS.

I'm not godlike yet and I'm pretty sure I will never be. But I'm a decent player and now I can watch and play matches and have a pretty good understanding of what's going on. I can learn from it and learn how to apply it myself or how to defend against it. Some people learn faster than others. I'm a slow learner so little by little, I'm still improving. Just keep it up and in time a lot of things will start making sense to you. Who knows, you could be pretty damn good if you put in the time. Even if you aren't I think the journey is worth it.

Ophelion

Just keep it up and in time a lot of things will start making sense to you. Who knows, you could be pretty damn good if you put in the time. Even if you aren't I think it's worth the journey is worth it.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm gunna try to be the best I personally can be. I decided to stick with Juri because...well, nobody's going to be paying me for this. If I'm gunna play, I'm going to play the character that speaks the most to me. Even if that's more work. This has to be a labor of love.

I did better than I was expecting, honestly. Went from D to D+ tonight. Though my PP are pitiful, I didn't think I was going to win at all, so instead of being upset that I'm terrible (I already knew that) every win I'm like YAY!

Edit: Just took the plunge and bought my first fight stick. I'm doing this!

Spuck-uk

Banned
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm gunna try to be the best I personally can be. I decided to stick with Juri because...well, nobody's going to be paying me for this. If I'm gunna play, I'm going to play the character that speaks the most to me. Even if that's more work. This has to be a labor of love.

I did better than I was expecting, honestly. Went from D to D+ tonight. Though my PP are pitiful, I didn't think I was going to win at all, so instead of being upset that I'm terrible (I already knew that) every win I'm like YAY!

Don't let your points worry you at all, just enjoy the game, and try to learn something from every loss.

If I could do one thing differently from the start in this game, it would have been to stick with a character I really enjoyed playing as :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of street fighter, don't be discouraged at your losses, your just learning and some people have been playing for years. Good you picked the character that speaks to you, I find that people who stick with the character they enjoy/speaks to them the most have more fun and continue playing longer than those that pick based on tier or who they are told they should play.

Just want to add, FUNDAMENTALS ARE KEY, not only for street fighter, but all fighting games. Take the time to understand and develop your spacing, normal, anti-airs, and footsies, especially for Juri. Wish I could add more, but honestly, Juri is one of the characters that I know how to counter, but don't really know anything about how to play. Hope you enjoy and keep us updated on your play.

Ophelion

Just want to add, FUNDAMENTALS ARE KEY, not only for street fighter, but all fighting games. Take the time to understand and develop your spacing, normal, anti-airs, and footsies, especially for Juri.

This is something I've been trying to think about. I feel pretty comfortable with her normals at this point...I think. I'm sure there's still some magic to be coaxed from them, but that'll come with time. I'm really bad at anti-airs though. Sometimes if someone is being especially obnoxious with jumping in, I'll throw out some ground fireballs just to build meter and then hold the anti-air fireball to catch them with. The rest of the time I forget. I never realized how good her crouching HP is for that because it's hurt box is wonky. Hits way in front of where I think it should. It looks like it should only threaten straight up, like a ground version of her jumping HP. You can actually go from the crouch HP into pinwheel apparently. The stuff you learn when you need to survive...Oh, I guess I do use jumping MP sometimes to pick a guy out of the air. I also discovered that as he's falling, you can do a close MP and tag him on the way down. That was a fun bit of knowledge. It probably combos into something from there, but I don't know what that is.

Spacing I'm a little better at. Tagging people with the very edge of my range catches people out a lot, but...I don't really understand footsies yet. I've heard the term on streams and stuff, but I don't actually see what people are doing differently when commentators mention that. Asking google, it looks like it involves keeping space and whiffing on purpose? Why is that a useful tactic? Is it for baiting out unsafe punishes or something?

Welcome to the wonderful world of street fighter, don't be discouraged at your losses, your just learning and some people have been playing for years. Good you picked the character that speaks to you, I find that people who stick with the character they enjoy/speaks to them the most have more fun and continue playing longer than those that pick based on tier or who they are told they should play.

Just want to add, FUNDAMENTALS ARE KEY, not only for street fighter, but all fighting games. Take the time to understand and develop your spacing, normal, anti-airs, and footsies, especially for Juri. Wish I could add more, but honestly, Juri is one of the characters that I know how to counter, but don't really know anything about how to play. Hope you enjoy and keep us updated on your play.

I finally started playing with fundamentals in mind last week, and I've done so much better, winning more than half my matches. Not enough can be said about playing smart.

DunpealD

Spacing I'm a little better at. Tagging people with the very edge of my range catches people out a lot, but...I don't really understand footsies yet. I've heard the term on streams and stuff, but I don't actually see what people are doing differently when commentators mention that. Asking google, it looks like it involves keeping space and whiffing on purpose? Why is that a useful tactic? Is it for baiting out unsafe punishes or something?

Juicebox explanation of footsies.

Also Juri's cr. mp is also a good anti air. Jump mp has juggle properties and can be juggled into U2 and usually ex-pinwheel for maximum damage. With Juri it's also important to learn storing the projectiles for specific situations, like the HK one when fighting divekick characters.

Shiina

It's kinda funny how new players tend to gravitate towards Juri when she's one of the most difficult characters to play properly in SF4. Maybe they shouldn't have made her the default select for P1. Not to discourage you from playing her or anything.

DunpealD

It's kinda funny how new players tend to gravitate towards Juri when she's one of the most difficult characters to play properly in SF4. Maybe they shouldn't have made her the default select for P1. Not to discourage you from playing her or anything.

New players also gravitate towards Evil Ryu. It's like Capcom built a trap for newcomers.

Ophelion

Juicebox explanation of footsies.

Also Juri's cr. mp is also a good anti air. Jump mp has juggle properties and can be juggled into U2 and usually ex-pinwheel for maximum damage. With Juri it's also important to learn storing the projectiles for specific situations, like the HK one when fighting divekick characters.

I'll check that out when not at work, thanks! Anything that gives me more utility on the ground will make me very happy indeed.

And see, I knew there was more that could be done with that jumping MP juggle. I'm atrocious with Ultra 2 though. I only used it once yesterday when a poison threw out a projectile after she'd knocked me down. I dunno if she was thinking I was going to tech up and it would hit me or what. Pretty sure it would have wiffed no matter what. Anyway, woke up with Ultra 2 to win the round. I guess I should practice with Ultra 2. My biggest problem with it was that I was using it the lame way and throwing it out as a hail mary. Worked into setups like that jumping MP juggle, I'm sure it works just fine. Usually I just stick with Ultra 1. Feng Shui Engine is very entertaining.

The storing of the fireballs is part of the reason I bought a fightstick, honestly. Storing anything but HK on pad cripples my ability to keep fighting. I've only got one thumb! That and I'm already tired of losing rounds because my finger slipped off d-pad and onto Share. It happened so much, I switched to my pad's stick and twice I tripped the PS button somehow and input my combo right into the OS. I'm sure it was very impressed.

Yeah, I knew she was hard going in and I know I'm in for A LOT of work. I like her for more than just her sweet style though. I like how complicated she is. She's a puzzle that I'll be figuring out right up until SFV drops. She's filled with tricks and traps. I like that if you time it right, her forward dash can carry you under certain projectiles. I like how her parry works. I like how deceptive some of her normals can be for people not super familiar with her (and me in a few embarrassing instances.) I love using a fireball store to crush the opponents projectiles, going in, mixing it up a little and the snapping the fireball off when I'm confidant they've forgotten I'm storing it. I like snapping out an EX anti-air fireball after throwing a few regulars as the opponent is jumping in. Forgot EX fireballs are instant, did you? She's kind of like playing a D&D Rogue in a fighting game. That is awesome and great fun, even if I don't win as much as if I just played a clean Ryu maybe.

New players also gravitate towards Evil Ryu. It's like Capcom built a trap for newcomers.

Evil Ryu is complex? I just messed around with him a little bit, but he just seemed like a Ryu/Akuma hybrid to me.

Top Bottom