• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

At best it's 5.5 - 4.5.
I still think it's even at best, and possibly a little in favor of Ken, but I'm not really that well versed in SF4 compared to others here so I'm not going to split hairs over something I'm not completely sure on.

So anyone up for some games right now, psn:direct_quote? I get tomorrow off from work...

Onemic

I still think it's even at best, and possibly a little in favor of Ken, but I'm not really that well versed in SF4 compared to others here so I'm not going to split hairs over something I'm not completely sure on.

So anyone up for some games right now, psn:direct_quote? I get tomorrow off from work...

Wait, that's what I was saying lol. Even or 5.5 - 4.5 for Ken.

mbpm1

Played a bunch of games with Onemic. Think I'm understanding a bit about how to approach the Elena matchup now at least. But fuck her.

Played some games with some others on my friend list i don't normally see online.

One of which was an Ibuki who was both really random and pretty consistent with the vortex game.

...I never hated Ibuki so much until now.

stn

mbpm1 said:
...I never hated Ibuki so much until now.
SF4 is a pretty solid entry in the series when you have a match involving two ground-based characters. It all goes to shit and makes me rip my hair out when the vortex and ambiguous characters enter the fray. Literally night-and-day with this game.

mbpm1

SF4 is a pretty solid entry in the series when you have a match involving two ground-based characters. It all goes to shit and makes me rip my hair out when the vortex and ambiguous characters enter the fray. Literally night-and-day with this game.

When in mid-range he had an equal likelihood of:

-Sticking out sweep
-Sticking out spin kicks
-DP for no reason at all even though it has no invincibility
-Random neckbreaker
-SJC Kunai or EX Kunai
-Jump-in
-Slide

And then when you stop to try and spot those
-Dash in throw
-Command Dash in throw

All leading into scary vortex time. And that friend is definitely nowhere near the end of his growth either. Ibuki really is a character.

ShinMaruku

This is why Yun vs Ibuki is the best match up in the game.
ibukiprint_by_omar_dogan-d6ctt8w.jpg

Wiseblade

Why are you hating on the Fuerte - Viper matchup? That’s just pure fun.

If you get them down enough offline, you shouldnt need to set the delay tbh. But id say 3.

Says the Yun main :p
Frauds among us...
I also play Seth too
. I actually couldn't care less if Seth was in SF5 I think his overall character design is dumb, but he is kind of fun to play.

Fought 3 really solid players over the last few days.

One of them I've fought many times in the past and we usually went about even but this time he was much tougher. It seems like he leveled up quite a bit or I just had a bad day.

Played against an excellent Viper that probably would've killed me if it wasn't for the fact that I have solid counters for her.

The last guy I played against had to be one of the best goddamn Evil Ryu players I've ever faced. Just one of the best players I've fought in general. Dude mindfucked me real quick and I probably should've stopped right then and there, but of course I couldn't. Only squeezed out a few convincing wins and two of them were with Elena which wasn't surprising.

Played some Finnish player, had a green bar but it was one of the lagiest games I've ever played. Both of us are clearly not playing out mains due to higher PP and very low BP. I edge out a win in the lag somehow.

Then the guy keeps trying to rematch me, I always sit in training with fight request on and it's him nonstop for like 5 minutes, he keeps messaging me for rematch at same time. He has a red bar now which explains why so laggy. I'm usually happy to rematch people but the match was so laggy I didn't see why anyone what want a repeat of it. So I get another players match, afterwards the Finnish guy is spamming me again, this goes on for like 20 minutes, with another fight against someone in between.

Finally I get so sick of him interupting my match searching and his message spam that I agree to a rematch. Then he switches to his main character after I pick my character. All that bitching for a rematch for almost 30 minutes at this point, and he doesn't even rematch. So I leave.

"F***ing C**t" is the censored version of the message I receive.

I though that was the end of it, but a few minutes later suddenly some US account red bar player starts spamming my room, I keep returning to training but he isn't getting the hint, then "Why won't you play me" he messages me, "Red connection" I reply. Then I get some insult back about my connection sucking, and he keeps spamming my room.

Pretty sure it's the same guy, is so rare I get hatemail so two in a row is just fishy, but incase it isn't I tell him to stick to playing US players because he not playing me, then block them both.

I don't know what the point of this story is, just felt I needed to vent/share it. Anyone else meet players like this?

Fought 3 really solid players over the last few days.

One of them I've fought many times in the past and we usually went about even but this time he was much tougher. It seems like he leveled up quite a bit or I just had a bad day.

Played against an excellent Viper that probably would've killed me if it wasn't for the fact that I have solid counters for her.

The last guy I played against had to be one of the best goddamn Evil Ryu players I've ever faced. Just one of the best players I've fought in general. Dude mindfucked me real quick and I probably should've stopped right then and there, but of course I couldn't. Only squeezed out a few convincing wins and two of them were with Elena which wasn't surprising.

Upload some matches, you have the power to now. I'd like to see these matches you're describing.

As for me, a few days ago I ran into the #1 ranked Mak on PS4. I thought "no biggie, I can be competitive with this guy". I played him twice with Yun and he annihilated me both times. He must have done the reset side switch thing like half a dozen times. It's just a blur to me now. I don't remember his name but I'd like to get another shot at him. I've been grinding my Yun lately to try and get him to a similar level as my Evil Ryu. I'm really enjoying it and I think I might actually use Yun next time I attend a tournament with Evil Ryu in reserve as a counter pick.

Upload some matches, you have the power to now. I'd like to see these matches you're describing.

As for me, a few days ago I ran into the #1 ranked Mak on PS4. I thought "no biggie, I can be competitive with this guy". I played him twice with Yun and he annihilated me both times. He must have done the reset side switch thing like half a dozen times. It's just a blur to me now. I don't remember his name but I'd like to get another shot at him. I've been grinding my Yun lately to try and get him to a similar level as my Evil Ryu. I'm really enjoying it and I think I might actually use Yun next time I attend a tournament with Evil Ryu in reserve as a counter pick.
Lol, nah I can't upload them. I was playing on 360. Well I might be able to. I'll try the next time I'm at home.

Actually can you upload player matches that are just in your match history?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Soon I'll be back on this horse.
Any Juri and Ibuki vids I should be looking into?

Triox makes really good Juri tutorials on youtube, even if he is a disgusting furry. YOSSAN is probably the best Juri player out there if you want to watch some high level games.

EX Pugera is #1 Ibuki to watch, he was mauling people in after hours games at CEO

ShinMaruku

Triox makes really good Juri tutorials on youtube, even if he is a disgusting furry. YOSSAN is probably the best Juri player out there if you want to watch some high level games.

EX Pugera is #1 Ibuki to watch, he was mauling people in after hours games at CEO

I will be looking those ones over. :)

Robot Pants

Frauds among us...
I also play Seth too
. I actually couldn't care less if Seth was in SF5 I think his overall character design is dumb, but he is kind of fun to play.

whoa. is this my alt account?

Ibuki sucks.
In the Yun match its basically about who gets the knockdown first. Then who can keep up the shenanigans without dropping anything

You ever practiced a scenario in training mode and ever thought "man that'd be fucking cool if I pulled that off in a real match". Well I finally landed one of those scenarios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYeN_vYv8SE

That god like feeling I felt.

For anybody who watched the video and didn't know, that corner cross up is a fake cross up that only works against Ken, Ryu, and Makoto(not sure about Evil Ryu but I think it should work on him as well).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You ever practiced a scenario in training mode and ever thought "man that'd be fucking cool if I pulled that off in a real match". Well I finally landed one of those scenarios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYeN_vYv8SE

That god like feeling I felt.

For anybody who watched the video and didn't know, that corner cross up is a fake cross up that only works against Ken, Ryu, and Makoto(not sure about Evil Ryu but I think it should work on him as well).

Nice. Why no red focus at the end of the match for extra damage? Better safe than sorry!

Nice. Why no red focus at the end of the match for extra damage? Better safe than sorry!

Honestly I just forgot about it. When I watched the replay, that immediately came to my mind. But I forget to use red focus all the time to try and finish off my opponents or even just to punish. It's just something I need to work on remembering to use.

ironmang

Trying to switch from almost exclusively charge characters to Gief is exposing some bad habits that are killing my execution. I just can't cancel into a DP motion mid combo. My inputs end up all over the place. Anybody else have a similar experience and were you able to correct it?

Trying to switch from almost exclusively charge characters to Gief is exposing some bad habits that are killing my execution. I just can't cancel into a DP motion mid combo. My inputs end up all over the place. Anybody else have a similar experience and were you able to correct it?

Yeah, really practice is the best thing to fix it. Playing charge characters kind of programs you always be holding back or charging. What helped me was just being more loose with the joystick. Since I didn't need to maintain or build charge, there was no reason to hold back during combo's, which in turn made canceling into things seem easier. Might not be the best advice, but it worked for me.

ironmang

Yeah, really practice is the best thing to fix it. Playing charge characters kind of programs you always be holding back or charging. What helped me was just being more loose with the joystick. Since I didn't need to maintain or build charge, there was no reason to hold back during combo's, which in turn made canceling into things seem easier. Might not be the best advice, but it worked for me.

Ya I was riding the gate pretty hard since there's no reason not to with those characters. Fireball motion I'm fine with but DP is proving very challenging without relying on the gate which I think was messing me up in the first place. Even the dumb cr. lp x2 st. lk xx hand combos are taking a long time to land consistently in training.

Kind of getting sick of Yun, so I've been playing around with Yang and Guy of all people again. Man I wish Guy had his SFA3 corner combos (doesn't even have them in omega mode wtf)..

neoemonk

Need to put this one to the experts here because I've never heard of this. I'm down at a local SF tournament and the guy running it claims that the 360 version is objectively better than the PS3 version because the PS3 version has "lag" in local competition. He says that tournaments only use the 360 version for this reason. Is there any truth to these claims?

Onemic

Need to put this one to the experts here because I've never heard of this. I'm down at a local SF tournament and the guy running it claims that the 360 version is objectively better than the PS3 version because the PS3 version has "lag" in local competition. He says that tournaments only use the 360 version for this reason. Is there any truth to these claims?

360 version has 2f of lag less than the PS3 version

Trying to get back into Street fighter again and using Akuma. Any tips on how to use him most effectively? Or thoughts on what other Akuma players use against you that tend to be successful?

Ggs Rice-Eater. Those Yun mirror matches feel like flipping a coin sometimes lol. I still don't know how to play Guy he's so awkward, but I want to learn again..

Ggs Rice-Eater. Those Yun mirror matches feel like flipping a coin sometimes lol. I still don't know how to play Guy he's so awkward, but I want to learn again..

The pace was starting to make me feel sick loll. It seems their were certain things that you and I were doing a little bit better than the other to even things out. In the end it was just too chaotic so I finally switched. When I played Evil Ryu against your Yun I knew that at certain ranges you couldn't anti-air my dive kicks(with upkicks anyways) so I abused the hell out of that against you whenever I got a chance.

As for Yun vs Seth, I actually prefer it when big body characters don't quick stand against me. It's harder to land ambiguous dive kicks against them when they quick get up. But it's easier to make it hard for them to tell which side I'll land on when I do empty dive kicks when they don't quick get up.

ShinMaruku

When Juri clicks with U1 I just have to quote the gita and say 私は世界の死亡、駆逐艦です.
I have become death destroyer of worlds.

Erigu

When Juri clicks with U1 I just have to quote the gita and say 私は世界の死亡、駆逐艦です.
I have become death destroyer of worlds.
Sounds more like you're quoting Google Translate.

Nah, it still aint touching the 360 version

360 version has worse image quality since it renders at 720p and does not have a built in streaming. Some of the Ultra stages can also affect how the game runs. Don't really see how the 360 version is better or how the ps4 version "aint touching the 360 version".

360 version has worse image quality since it renders at 720p and does not have a built in streaming. Some of the Ultra stages can also affect how the game runs. Don't really see how the 360 version is better or how the ps4 version "aint touching the 360 version".

Less input delay
Still has the most players online so finding a match doesn't take a while
PS4 online still doesn't show any bars for me when I'm searching for a match
I'm not sure if the PS4 version changed how the Ultra and certain other stages ran, I didn't really notice it on the 360 version except for the Diner stage

I'll give the PS4 version the fact it has built in streaming though.

I'm getting a little tired of feeling like I am constantly playing at a disadvantage with Claw. I've been playing Claw since Championship Edition, so it's hard to get out of that habit. It just seems like characters who can combo better, especially into Ultras, fare much better online.

So, who would be a good character to try and give a go 'round? I was thinking Sakura, but I don't know her utility.

Less input delay
Still has the most players online so finding a match doesn't take a while
PS4 online still doesn't show any bars for me when I'm searching for a match
I'm not sure if the PS4 version changed how the Ultra and certain other stages ran, I didn't really notice it on the 360 version except for the Diner stage

I'll give the PS4 version the fact it has built in streaming though.

The .2 frame advantage the 360 version has on the ps4 has no effect on gameplay since the game only reads inputs once per frame. It's just like how the input tests on the verious joysticks don't matter much or else you'd believe everybody playing on the old TE sticks are at a severe disadvantage.

I haven't played the 360 version online in about 2 years but part of the reason I stopped by xbox live sub was that the online playerbase wasn't much better than the pc at the time so I'll take it you've played both the 360 and ps4 versions to tell there's more on the xbox one. Though I've noticed players like smug and art on ps4 and the pxg stream uses the ps4 version for its lobby for their stream.

Bars thing is kind of annoying since they mostly don't show up in the search screen but they show p when you actually enter the lobby. Experience is pretty much the same as the pc and ps3 version for me in that respect.

Top Bottom