• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

kirblar

They didn't go after the top tiers hard because they didn't know how much of an effect DWU would have. It's not as though we're unlikely to see a balance patch down the line.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Can somebody with the app tell me the recovery on Posion's overhead?

Also, with the Makoto stuff basically all the old tricks work midscreen. Meatie overhead > cr.LK works, weird hitbox stuff works, the ambiguous jump still works, cross up axe kick still works etc. The only thing I can't get is a safejump (not enough time) and I can't quite get that overhead to be consistent. Ah well, i'm just messing with her for a friend. I think I'm going to test some Poison stuff, I have ideas but I need frame data and I don't see the app on android yet :/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bradygames.comusfivofda

At least you get it.

My stance has on DWU has nothing to do with my main character, she's not even that affected by it. I would rather have tech rolls than DWU because that's fair to the offense and defense.

But with the reaction to SFxTK there was no way Capcom where going to implement rolls in Ultra and instead we got some half assed DWU.

I've been repeating this message on here for a while now. The so called "vortex" characters are still going to vortex. Cammy, Seth, Viper, and Yun get most of their pressure from soft knockdowns and DWU doesn't hurt them much if at all. Ibuki can react to DWU with whiffing a normal to time her jump in and then react to DWU with a kunai. The only exception is Akuma who has to commit and has no alternative to react to DWU when he's airborne.

Just like you said, it's everybody else who is hurting more. They lose their safe jumps or ambiguous jump in set ups. The vortex characters are going to keep vortex'ing. I think DWU hurts Ryu more than it does Cammy. And now I think Evil Ryu is a better vortex character than Akuma is now because of the changes in USF4 lol.

Robot Pants

I've been repeating this message on here for a while now. The so called "vortex" characters are still going to vortex. Cammy, Seth, Viper, and Yun get most of their pressure from soft knockdowns and DWU doesn't hurt them much if at all. Ibuki can react to DWU with whiffing a normal to time her jump in and then react to DWU with a kunai. The only exception is Akuma who has to commit and has no alternative to react to DWU when he's airborne.

Just like you said, it's everybody else who is hurting more. They lose their safe jumps or ambiguous jump in set ups. The vortex characters are going to keep vortex'ing. I think DWU hurts Ryu more than it does Cammy. And now I think Evil Ryu is a better vortex character than Akuma is now because of the changes in USF4 lol.
Well it's still early, but I was never a fan of DWU since its announcement.

cackhyena

Too bad that's what SFIV has always been.

oZK5F.gif

Zapages

I don't know if you guys have noticed... But as I a Ryu player, I found it easier to build meter for a Super now when compared to any of the previous SFIVs.

JeTmAn81

Doesn't Akuma still have some leeway as well, due to the timing window after the Demon Flip and before the attack command?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't know if you guys have noticed... But as I a Ryu player, I found it easier to build meter for a Super now when compared to any of the previous SFIVs.

You should see how fast Poison builds meter compared to other characters in fireball wars :p

jlai

When I saw the 0's, I thought about backing out because I didn't want to be your first :(

Fear not, getting reacclimated to playing on stick has proven to be much more of a struggle than I thought after playing on keyboard pretty much exclusively since AE PC came out 2 years ago :(

Onemic

I just realized you went back to being onemic.
Also good work homie.

Thanks, I was literally spending 90% of my time yesterday working on her combos and that thread. Today it's pressure and trying to find some good pressure setups for HP Mallet.

Izuna

Banned
I may not be as good as I used to be, but seriously, this "new" lag ruined everything. I came across an old opponent (good UK Guy player) and after one mach he kicks me, so does an old guile opponent etc.

Ended up seeing Problem X and the connection was so bad (used to quite good) we spent the whole match holding back until it cleared before giving up.

Worst thing is, I can't even play with my buddy in the US who I played 50% of all SF with now.

I haven't had a single ranked match that wasn't bad. Not that the connection was ever "great" but it used to just be slow. Now it SKIPS every few moments.

I may not be as good as I used to be, but seriously, this "new" lag ruined everything. I came across an old opponent (good UK Guy player) and after one mach he kicks me, so does an old guile opponent etc.

Ended up seeing Problem X and the connection was so bad (used to quite good) we spent the whole match holding back until it cleared before giving up.

Worst thing is, I can't even play with my buddy in the US who I played 50% of all SF with now.

I haven't had a single ranked match that wasn't bad. Not that the connection was ever "great" but it used to just be slow. Now it SKIPS every few moments.

That "Waiting for other players..." Mixup is godlike.

MormaPope

Banned
Is he using DeeJay or Elena? Because that would kind of defeat the purpose. Unless his trolling has reached a sublime level of yomi.

He went through arcade mode with Decapre, Seth ended up whooping him for a long time I think, I jumped in towards the end of the struggle.

EDIT: He went through arcade mode with all the new characters, in a bit he'll jump online with the new characters.

Yea like I said before, I believe it's because the servers are currently getting bopped.

Every SF release has been kinda shit on week one then cleared up. I remember Vanilla/Super/Marvel were like this on the first week.

Marvel still being shit ofc.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I have a conundrum. Decapre is fascinating me so much (JAMA WO SURU NAAAAA!), but I kind of can't stand her Doll costume. I want to play as Crazy Udon Gladiator Decapre.

I bought the 360 Ultra upgrade on the US store when it came out, playing it on a Japanese copy of Super. Is there no way to get the newcomer DLC costumes now? Will I have to wait for the packaged version?

I bought a cheap US PS3 copy and the American upgrade to be able to play my PS3 friends (as the US DLC won't work with the Japanese PS3 Super I already own), but again no costumes.

tl;dr: Am I screwed on the new DLC costumes?

Also, how do we get character-specific icons and whatnot without Trials for the newcomers??

Thx!

GrayFoxPL

Hugo must be really bad, since I beat every one that came at me and I don't know what I'm doing.

His armor elbow seems pretty good though.

El Sloth

Banned
Alright, I'll start taking names for the mini Ultra team tourney on Friday. Limit of 17 people. I've already taken the 18th spot ( ≖‿≖).

PSN only (sorry too lazy to also do a 360 one). Is 7 p.m. EST a good start time? That's what I'm leaning towards right now.

Just post "I wanna enter the PSN team tourney" and I'll sign you up when I find your post later. First come, first served.

Anyways, the format:
team battle
3 v 3
KoF style (called "Elimination" in Ultra)
double elimination (meaning there's a loser's bracket)
No 2/3 though, not even for grand finals. Maybe for a future tourney depending on how long this one takes.

I'll enter the name of everyone entered into whatever online randomizer I find first and the top 6 names get made Team Captains. The captains then get to choose who they want on their teams depending on the order their names came up in the randomizer. First name gets first pick, Second name goes next, so on so forth.

More importantly, captains get final say on team names.

If a member of someone's team doesn't show up then I'll let people look for someone else on here to replace them. I won't be willing to hold things up for long though.

Digital tears are your only prize.

hypernima

Banned
Man it's extremely frustrating getting bopped by hondas who just sit there with Poison.
She can't do much to this dude.

"I wanna enter the PSN team tourney"

MormaPope

Banned
Hugo must be really bad, since I beat every one that came at me and I don't know what I'm doing.

His armor elbow seems pretty good though.

Hugo has more health than all the fighters, has insane reach, but sucks at literally everything else.

His anti air grab is easy to avoid, just don't jump. His running grab is relatively slow, so jumping over it or stopping it outright is easy. His jumps are slow, his movement is slow. Hugo's first ultra is pretty devastating, takes off like 3/5 or 3/4 of your life.

As long as Hugo never gets close or you don't get trapped by him it should be a easy victory.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have a conundrum. Decapre is fascinating me so much (JAMA WO SURU NAAAAA!), but I kind of can't stand her Doll costume. I want to play as Crazy Udon Gladiator Decapre.

I bought the 360 Ultra upgrade on the US store when it came out, playing it on a Japanese copy of Super. Is there no way to get the newcomer DLC costumes now? Will I have to wait for the packaged version?

I bought a cheap US PS3 copy and the American upgrade to be able to play my PS3 friends (as the US DLC won't work with the Japanese PS3 Super I already own), but again no costumes.

tl;dr: Am I screwed on the new DLC costumes?

Also, how do we get character-specific icons and whatnot without Trials for the newcomers??

Thx!

You're gonna have to wait for the DLC to show up for purchase on PSN/XBL or pay some rip-off price on eBay for a code.

Sayad

So I downloaded the update and installed it, but when I start SSF4 disc(don't have AE) it doesn't detect that I have Ultra and just get normal SSF4! I installed the recent update(2014 ver 1.08), but still nothing.

Bought the upgrade from UAE PSN store(eu version, I think) and my SSF4 disc is region 1, am I screwed? :(

alstein

Upload speed on the download to youtube option is hella Slow. Just had a match I thought was worthy, but then I looked at it, and realize I was so fraudulent. (each round was something lucky)

Still working on getting better with Poison.

But I am pretty satisfied with Guy's changes. his st.hp in the target combo has better range which pleases me. I always use st.mp>run slide as my bnb for setups….but not that st.hp is more reliable, i have a much easier time confirming things. And his increased walk speed definitely makes him a bit more footsies viable.

Shouta

So I downloaded the update and installed it, but when I start SSF4 disc(don't have AE) it doesn't detect that I have Ultra and just get normal SSF4! I installed the recent update(2014 ver 1.08), but still nothing.

Bought the upgrade from UAE PSN store(eu version, I think) and my SSF4 disc is region 1, am I screwed? :(

I think you need the other patches as well?

Top Bottom