• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Onemic

To any of the remaining Elena players, I set up a combo thread on SRK

The damage she is capable of is crazy

The main problem I find in her high/low pressure once you're in is getting in a reliable low mixup. Her Lynx Tail is extremely unreliable against certain characters(cammy, decapre, etc.) except in using it in combo's to FADC. So against characters where it tends to whiff, it becomes much easier to read and predict when an Elena player will most likely go for a HP/EX Mallet Smash.

stn

DWU is already not a great idea, would be even worse if "technical" didn't appear. The guy who scores the knockdown should be able to do damage, not deal with a myriad of defensive options.

If it were me, I'd remove raw focus attacks and only leave FADC'ing out of specials. You could then potentially remove invincible backdashes. Then, perhaps the properties of moves could be altered to nerf the vortex. Less ambiguous knockdown game remains but the player on offense still gets rewarded.

I thought this up quickly so it probably has some holes. Still, feel free to critique.

Bizazedo

DWU is already not a great idea, would be even worse if "technical" didn't appear. The guy who scores the knockdown should be able to do damage, not deal with a myriad of defensive options.

If it were me, I'd remove raw focus attacks and only leave FADC'ing out of specials. You could then potentially remove invincible backdashes. Then, perhaps the properties of moves could be altered to nerf the vortex. Less ambiguous knockdown game remains but the player on offense still gets rewarded.

I thought this up quickly so it probably has some holes. Still, feel free to critique.

If there were no such things as unblockables, I might be able to be argued into your line of reasoning. There are, though, so DWU + no technical helps with that. Plus it just means you have to improve your footsie game / reads to compensate which, I am biased, I admire more anyways.

Has Combo or Capcom responded to this?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What kind of pad do you use? I use the Madcatz Fightpads.

I'm using a ps3 pad right now, the cross pad is good for just about everything BUT those types of inputs lol

Edit: I think one of my favorite things about Poison is the fact she doesn't have a different set of moves for her Neutral jumps. I've always hated that for the most part.

10 bucks to the first person who gets this to work on shorter characters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8fRcC7p6-E&feature=youtu.be

I love cheesy set-ups like those.

Edit: I think one of my favorite things about Poison is the fact she doesn't have a different set of moves for her Neutral jumps. I've always hated that for the most part.

Agree with you on that one.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Poison can jump cancel her EX Whip of Love once the kick hits. I can't get it down yet but I'm think you could jump cancel but then quickly go into spiral kick or another long starting move. It's pretty much Dantes bold cancel on Poison. It's extremely hard to do though.

GrayFoxPL

Really digging Rolento, gonna hit up practice mode for a few hours and then jump online and test my luck.

Yeah I was pretty surprised that he is fun.

Now I understand what Japanese meant by "Roll! Roll! Roll!".

My first day of playing USF4 came to an end - It was fucking terrible!

Not the game itself, it's cool especially new music, but it seems I suck the worst and everyone else is good.

Btw can Guy do anything against Guile?

Because it seems Guile can flashkick everything Guy has. Should I just elbow drop out of flash kick range and run stop all the time? Because I can't do shit ;P.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I love cheesy set-ups like those.

Agree with you on that one.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Poison can jump cancel her EX Whip of Love once the kick hits. I can't get it down yet but I'm think you could jump cancel but then quickly go into spiral kick or another long starting move. It's pretty much Dantes bold cancel on Poison. It's extremely hard to do though.

Just do HP whip of love after it does more damge and gives a hard knockdown.

If you are having trouble with that, the way to do the srk, is when you do the kick's input hold up foward right away, then on the way down buffer the srk motion then press kick soon as you land

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm using a ps3 pad right now, the cross pad is good for just about everything BUT those types of inputs lol

That explains it. Those inputs are definitely tougher on those. I used to use a Dualshock pad for a long while.

Just do HP whip of love after it does more damge and gives a hard knockdown.

If you are having trouble with that, the way to do the srk, is when you do the kick's input hold up foward right away, then on the way down buffer the srk motion then press kick soon as you land

I didn't get a chance to training mode yesterday, but can't you do a reset if you jump cancel? Maybe hit them with a close HP or something near landing? Almost like that bootleg Sakura reset after an EX-Shunpu?

oroboros

For me, I'd leave in DWU and all the defensive options plus put in Alpha counters and hell maybe rolls. Just boost damage on normals like crazy. That way you get your damage by winning the neutral game and wakeup mixups weren't the most important thing where people feel like they need them all the time. You getting a wakeup mixup should be more of a bonus chance at more damage instead of end all be all guessing game that decides the winner.

Wakeup mixup game is the most boring part of SF4 series with so many vortex, safe jumps, options selects, unblockables, and all that. I hate that knockdown "oki", if you can even call it that in this game, is just so piss easy with free setups all day. Just whiff a normal or whatever and hey you get a little to no risk setup.

The game relying so much on things that are ambiguous and/or safe is one major reason I stopped playing for like over a year. My main was Ibuki for a long while, and I found myself being able to scrub out wins on more skilled players with just straight wakeup bullshit, and even though it worked, it felt so brainless and boring.

Was excited about delayed wakeup because I thought it might make the neutral ground game more important then the wakeup set play, but people will find ways around it. Especially since you get a big announcement that your opponent is using it long before they get up.

Anne

Can somebody with the app tell me the recovery on Posion's overhead?

Also, with the Makoto stuff basically all the old tricks work midscreen. Meatie overhead > cr.LK works, weird hitbox stuff works, the ambiguous jump still works, cross up axe kick still works etc. The only thing I can't get is a safejump (not enough time) and I can't quite get that overhead to be consistent. Ah well, i'm just messing with her for a friend. I think I'm going to test some Poison stuff, I have ideas but I need frame data and I don't see the app on android yet :/

Alucrid

Banned
decapre's air throw combo is sick. teleport move seems to have a lot of good mixup possibilities. ultras seem to have pretty good amount of utility. love how that blade move blows everything up.

kirblar

The defensive game got a massive buff in the USF4 transition. All they need to do is move the DWU notification back whatever number of frames it takes to make it actually unreactable.

Westlo

Yes they do unfortunately. DWU is terrible & needs to go. People don't understand yet the negative impact DWU has had on so many mid tier & low tier character. They robbed Peter to pay Paul.

It's utterly hilarious people think I'm saying this shit because I use Cammy. Cammy was an amazing character in Super when the general advice was to "eat the throw instead of divekick into 300+ dmg combo into soft oki mixup". She didn't need unblockable setups than and she doesn't need it now to still be a threat.

It's hurts mid tier characters like Ken and low tier characters like DeeJay whose ghetto vortexs would get absolutely even more destroyed by the removal of the technical message.

DWU is terrible, rolls would've been better except they've been tainted by SfXTk even though they're in so many other fighting games.

hypernima

Banned
To any of the remaining Elena players, I set up a combo thread on SRK

The damage she is capable of is crazy

The main problem I find in her high/low pressure once you're in is getting in a reliable low mixup. Her Lynx Tail is extremely unreliable against certain characters(cammy, decapre, etc.) except in using it in combo's to FADC. So against characters where it tends to whiff, it becomes much easier to read and predict when an Elena player will most likely go for a HP/EX Mallet Smash.

I just realized you went back to being onemic.
Also good work homie.

Westlo

holy shit people want an already defensive game too be even more defensive slanted, I seriously hope none of you guys made fun of sfxtk for being sf x timeout, because that's what you want this game to turn into.

Anne

Here's all the stats for that move

f.MP -> startup = 16, active = 10, recovery = 10, on hit = -1, on block = -8

hmm, you can't combo off that move? That's weird I thought it was possible.

If you land it on a later active frame you can. The idea was do it meatie so it'll hit on the last couple active frames, or make it whiff just after them and go low. Guessing her fastest low is 3-4 frames, so that'd be cute. Problem is it'd lose to DPs hard, and if you go for the low and people mash crouch tech pfffftttttttttt.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I didn't get a chance to training mode yesterday, but can't you do a reset if you jump cancel? Maybe hit them with a close HP or something near landing? Almost like that bootleg Sakura reset after an EX-Shunpu?

Only in the corner, I believe you have to use a jab to reset on the ground, if you want to go for cross ups you can use j.mk

Poison has a really bad forward dash

holy shit people want an already defensive game too be even more defensive slanted, I seriously hope none of you guys made fun of sfxtk for being sf x timeout, because that's what you want this game to turn into.

image.php

You really love your auto pilot from the sounds of it. Look even if they removed the tech notice the game wouldn't turn into a time out fest, the damage in this game is too high for that to happen. Your complaining about it is hilarious. As for a overly defensive game, they actually nerfed DP FADC recovery across the board so that cuts back on a defensive option with high pay off pretty hard. Delayed wake up doesn't even put you at an advantage.

Tik-Tok

Yeah I was pretty surprised that he is fun.

Now I understand what Japanese meant by "Roll! Roll! Roll!".

My first day of playing USF4 came to an end - It was fucking terrible!

Not the game itself, it's cool especially new music, but it seems I suck the worst and everyone else is good.

Btw can Guy do anything against Guile?

Because it seems Guile can flashkick everything Guy has. Should I just elbow drop out of flash kick range and run stop all the time? Because I can't do shit ;P.

I've only dabbled with guy, but keep in mind shoulders go through sonic booms and elbow drops early can bait out flash kicks. IT doesn't seem like an easy match for Guy though.

kirblar

You mean the ones who aren't ruined at all and who didn't rely heavily on their vortex game in the first place?

WNFChris was never blowing people primarily due to his wakeup setups as Ken.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Cammy's auto pilot is still in this game due to spiral arrow oki but lets keep posting my cammy avatar when I talk about DWU ruining mid and low tier characters.

Absolute genius.
They'll just have to figure out new set ups or tricks to combat it. A late game band aid fix where some characters where not designed with it in mind. But it's good to have it in the game. Red Focus and DWU are the two defensive options the game needed.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I love the DWU salt, it's so delicious.

I say that as someone who played 3 vortex characters in 2012, it's much better this way.

oroboros

Cammy's auto pilot is still in this game due to spiral arrow oki but lets keep posting my cammy avatar when I talk about DWU ruining mid and low tier characters.

Absolute genius.

Sadly it's true, Cammy is still braindead as ever. They should have added tech roll options or something on soft knockdown if they really wanted to fix the set play on all fronts evenly for every character. Cammy and Yun and others are not really going to suffer as much as a lot of others.

Westlo

You mean the ones who aren't ruined at all and who didn't rely heavily on their vortex game in the first place?

WNFChris was never blowing people primarily due to his wakeup setups as Ken.

Momochi, "Ken has strong wakes up and you can go for it after c.hk thus making it stronger. He also has mixups after his kara throws. You can do cross up air tatsu or non cross up jump attacks, that was his game plan but because of the new delayed standing"

Watch the Momochi vs Bonchan topanga fight, he got nothing going on bonchan outside of his mixups after kara throw.

Sadly it's true, Cammy is still braindead as ever. They should have added tech roll options or something on soft knockdown if they really wanted to fix the set play on all fronts evenly for every character. Cammy and Yun and others are not really going to suffer as much as a lot of others.

At least you get it.

My stance has on DWU has nothing to do with my main character, she's not even that affected by it. I would rather have tech rolls than DWU because that's fair to the offense and defense.

But with the reaction to SFxTK there was no way Capcom where going to implement rolls in Ultra and instead we got some half assed DWU.

Top Bottom