• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Anyone on PSN want to mercilessly beat my face in while calmly explaining to me how to play a grappler? I'm awful with Hugo (sub 10% win) but am having a damn fun time playing him. We got 2 hours to burn until the tourney starts!

Give me 30 minutes.

Anne

So proof of concept with Poison's LMT hitting meatie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZihApC_RjU&feature=youtu.be

So the obvious thing is this loses to DPs and there is no mix up. The fun part is that even though there is no mix up, it gets + on block since meatie, so people will want to respect it or eat this. The other fun thing is I have found set ups that beat out a lot of character's reversals. Unfortunately they aren't + enough to link cl.HK after, only cl.MK (I wanted a cool looking combo :p) and I still need to test them out vs the entire cast. Long story short, this is just for the sake of a cool combo idea, but meatie LMT is a strong way to reset pressure, and if somebody is being dumb you get to kill them.

HUGO
"Your Shoryuken hurt more than the Hadoken. But even that wasn't enough!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XqJtYc5ZS4

Your facial expression reminds me of this. haha
backrap2.jpg

Anyone on PSN want to mercilessly beat my face in while calmly explaining to me how to play a grappler? I'm awful with Hugo (sub 10% win) but am having a damn fun time playing him. We got 2 hours to burn until the tourney starts!
You should probably start with a good grappler.. Like T Hawk, Zangief or Hakan!

I don't think its actually a bug. I'm thinking she doesnt lose the meter until she hits the wall, like Claw.

Are you sure? The youtube comments says she loses meter if she picks U2 but doesn't in W ultra. And I was testing Vega's U1 a couple of weeks back and I would lose meter when I get stuff before I hit the wall.

I've played a ton of matches online so far and I hadn't come across that "Waiting for other player" nonsense until just now.

I can't believe that shit. That needs to go.

Oh and my timing is so bad for DWU. I just mash it now.

Kieli

I'm starting to get interested in this game.

I'm not sure I enjoy Skullgirls because I feel it's too reliant on extended combos. I have neither the dexterity nor the patience to learn such sequences. Also, it feels equal parts frustrating and boring when you're locked into your opponents 50-hit string and you have no way out.

KoF, on the other hand, is a bit too technical. It requires such precision in your inputs that I feel immediately intimidated.

Street Fighter seems to be a happy medium between the two where the focus is usually on midgames and trying to find an "in" (e.g. poke and confirm). The combos aren't too short (2-3 hit) and aren't too long (10+). Not to mention Chun-Li <3.

Just wish I hadn't missed the SF:AE Steam sale (it wasn't even on my radar at the time).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

Send FR if you want to play now.

here's some good and stupid stuff in usf4 for hugo, dan, zangief, and i guess dhalsim sorta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VX1aIQ_rGg

featuring:
--hugo clap kara cancel ultra throw, general corner control, and ultra 2 range
--dan crossup lk knee into ultra 2, even on delayed wakeup
--zangief 1010 stun combo, aka good enough to stun Sagat and most other characters, into a soft knockdown for a double safe jump v 5f wakeups
--dhalsim trying to do things that look cool but eh you can guess how that goes

I will take scraps that fall onto the floor. Anything, basically. Thank you.

Also, do you have any openings at your Firm?

What tourney is this that you speak of? Different from the one that's on Friday, right?

A lot of the new characters have such weird hit boxes. They had like 3+ months to fix them... With Decapre can't do command grab, and c.mp s.mp with yun :/

OceanBlue

Been like that for 5 years for me. I don't know how anyone is only now having trouble teching online.

I'm so shit at teching throws online (and offline too lol). Sometimes I crouch tech in the middle of blockstun and end up teching throws though. :\

A lot of the new characters have such weird hit boxes. They had like 3+ months to fix them... With Decapre can't do command grab, and c.mp s.mp with yun :/

I think Decapre is the only character for whom you can't do st.HP cr.HP with Sakura's shunpu loops.

Owensboro

I will take scraps that fall onto the floor. Anything, basically. Thank you.

Also, do you have any openings at your Firm?

What tourney is this that you speak of? Different from the one that's on Friday, right?

Just Battle Circuit streaming on teamspooky. I've already seen 2 Hugos!

kodecraft

I agree and in return the new characters 'feel' out of place. But I have destroyed each new character that has crossed my path....so far(online).

Imm0rt4l

Tfw your sparring partners character got knocked down a peg and has to play honestly/less derpy. Resulting in a 20-0 victory.

Get rekt m8

Owensboro

Send FR if you want to play now.

I shot you one, but It's looking like I'm going to have to run. I'm always up for learning though! Anyone know a good resource for reading up on how to generally play a grappler? I'm talking basic crap like "practice FA -> dash forward + buffer grab", or really just the general theory of how to land a 360 grab or Super Throw. I can never seem to get close enough to get one off.

Good lord, I have no idea how to punish anything short of a fierce DP. "CLAP CLAP CLAP"

Onemic

At least it's only a specific variation of her cmd grab. Play Elena and come back to me with weird hitboxes. All her specials can and do whiff in the middle of their active frames. Her BnB straight up always whiffs on a crouching Cammy, Gen, And Yang and her combo variation to combat this whiffs if not used at point blank range.

Xevren

Can you combo into Decapre's u2?

And is there a way to combo until Rolento's u2 other than counter hit HK?

For Decapre you can do her target combo into it, and if you're fast enough you can do cr fierce into it if it's a counter hit. Some other ways to on her up thrust if you anti air early enough.

culex-knight

Neo Member
I downloaded and installed the Costume Compatibility Pack after installing Ultra, but no costumes. Does anyone know how this is supposed to work?

Item Box

"wow u truly r a douche. good job winning a 7 3 matchup. impressive. wish i had the skill 2 do nothing but throw tigers and dp. gtfoh"

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

on the other hand, it feels nice to have a inbox full of
salt
mail again

Kieli

I know pad players exist, but I'm having a very hard time doing the dragon-punch and even quarter-circle movements. I have the Hori Fighting Pad, which helps slightly (but it's hard to do two quarter-circles right after a jump).

It's almost enough to make me want to invest in an arcade stick, even if they cost $100+ and my parents will get mad at me :lol.

Edit: Holy shit, Maximillian928 gaffes?! *faints*

Yes. Off her target combo for meterless but you need the air version.

From her air cannon drill.

Not as far as I know. It's already a really good ultra. You can punish fireballs, focus attacks and even use it as an anti air.

For Decapre you can do her target combo into it, and if you're fast enough you can do cr fierce into it if it's a counter hit. Some other ways to on her up thrust if you anti air early enough.
Thanks guys

I think I'll be sticking with double ultra for Decapre and u1 for Rolento.

JeTmAn81

I know pad players exist, but I'm having a very hard time doing the dragon-punch and even quarter-circle movements. I have the Hori Fighting Pad, which helps slightly (but it's hard to do two quarter-circles right after a jump).

It's almost enough to make me want to invest in an arcade stick, even if they cost $100+ and my parents will get mad at me :lol.

For me it was easier to get DP's and other harder motions down on stick but if you just keep practicing on pad you'll get it eventually. I honestly recommend sticking with pad just because it's so much cheaper, lol.

xCobalt

I downloaded and installed the Costume Compatibility Pack after installing Ultra, but no costumes. Does anyone know how this is supposed to work?

You need to actually purchase the costumes. The compatibility packs is only useful if you face someone who uses one of the new costumes.

If you can't do them on pad, you'll most likely won't be able to do it on an arcade stick. Slow down your inputs. When I see people play sf for the first time, they try to do the motion as fast as possible. Also turn on inputs in training mode so you know you're doing the command right.

Onemic

You need to actually purchase the costumes. The compatibility packs is only useful if you face someone who uses one of the new costumes.

If you can't do them on pad, you'll most likely won't be able to do it on an arcade stick. Slow down your inputs. When I see people play sf for the first time, they try to do the motion as fast as possible. Also turn on inputs in training mode so you know you're doing the command right.

I must have been an exception to the rule, because the reason why I switched to stick was because my execution was ass cheeks on pad. I struggled to get DP's out consistently. There was also the pain issue as well with my thumbs.

Kieli

I must have been an exception to the rule, because the reason why I switched to stick was because my execution was ass cheeks on pad. I struggled to get DP's out consistently. There was also the pain issue as well with my thumbs.

Agreed. I have to hold my pad (Hori Fighting Commander) in a weird position where I have my thumb flat on the d-pad and my right hand in a claw position. My thumb muscles are really weak, so I also feel uncomfortable doing the double-taps to dash.

culex-knight

Neo Member

Fair enough. Does the "Super Street Fighter 4 Ultra Complete Alternate Costume Pack" only come with one alternate costume per character, though? I'm coming from PC to PS3 and trying to get my bearings. PSN store is making my brain hurt.

EDIT: Oh, I see. There's a SF4 and SSF4 complete packs. Ignore this part. When is the USF4 costume pack going to be purchasable -- it's only pre-order DLC right now, right?

Slow down your inputs.

On topic: ^ this.

kaydigi

Fair enough. Does the "Super Street Fighter 4 Ultra Complete Alternate Costume Pack" only come with one alternate costume per character, though? I'm coming from PC to PS3 and trying to get my bearings. PSN store is making my brain hurt.

EDIT: Oh, I see. There's a SF4 and SSF4 complete packs. Ignore this part. When is the USF4 costume pack going to be purchasable -- it's only pre-order DLC right now, right?

On topic: ^ this.

On ps3

Sf4 complete costumes $6.49.
2 separate packs of super street costumes at $17.99 each.

Top Bottom