• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Mantrox

On ps3

Sf4 complete costumes $6.49.
2 separate packs of super street costumes at $17.99 each.

Is the SEN store really this useless?
I can't find any costume pack for any version of SF4 in the SEN store site(Europe).

Do i really have to do it from the console?

Btw, what's the cheapest way to get all the costumes?

This shit is crazy. My only losses in ranked were against Hugo, even though it's one of Sim's favorable matchups. Absorbed U1 and Super. hahaha
Gotta use Shangri-la to take the command grab fight him to him! Fight fire with fire!

I'm so bad at SF games that tend to just pick characters for stupid reasons. Hugo loves Potatoes, he's now my boy.
Reminds me of my shallow reasoning when looking for a new go-to character in Third Strike when Dhalsim wasn't part of the roster.

"Oh, Necro can stretch his limbs too. Sold."

Suffice to say I was awful at him since they're absolutely nothing alike. Did like hitting people with his taunt though.

necro-tauntqkiqx.gif

Really surprised he didn't even attempt to U2 you. He had like 5 chances. I was gonna upload a match I had with DBJ earlier but it said the YouTube service was down and I guess you can only upload from the battle log recent matches. Can't upload ones you save

It was actually 4. In the first round I baited it with a empty jump(in which I land before he can even get a move off) and he didn't do it so I risked it the 2nd time. In the 2nd round I'll be honest, I just completely forgot about it. I do that a lot, that's how you landed all those Chun Ultras against me.

As for the youtube upload, it hasn't worked on Xbox for anybody since USF4 came out. I don't know what the issue is but it's not down and it's not just you. It's just not ready yet on the Xbox side. I actually purposely played on PS3 just so I could upload a match of me using some of the new stuff like his sweep and target combo which you didn't see Daigo use at all a few days ago.

TheMink

My first upload on PS3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKE_FaNV9zQ

You damn right I uploaded it because I looked good :p

On the other hand I finally started experiencing that weird problem that some of you guys have been talking about. In a couple of my matches I had that "waiting for player" issue in the middle of a match. In one of them it happened over and over and sometimes when my opponent and I were next to each other which made the stand off kind of funny when we were back to normal.

Lag has been hit and miss though for me. Some games go quite well like the one I uploaded while others were just a mess. And one last thing, PS3 has been pretty free so far. I'm still undefeated at 12-0 so far in ranked. And by no means do I consider myself a good player, about average at best. I think my win rate on Xbox Live is about 60 or so after about 30 matches on that console.

Is there a reason your doing a low sweep instead of a shoryuken at the end of your combo?

Is there a reason your doing a low sweep instead of a shoryuken at the end of your combo?

It gives me better positioning to keep up the pressure. With sweep I get more ways to make the opponent guess. When I jump, will I stay in front of him, will a cross up, or will I empty jump? I used all 3 methods in that video and guessed correctly several times to put him right back in the same situation.

If I end combos in SRK, I get a little more damage but I lose that position. Whatever I do next I'll always be in front of him unless he's in the corner. Jumping forward right after landing a heavy punch SRK from someone like Evil Ryu or Ryu(again, unless in the corner) is also a very bad because I can easily be anti-air'd so that's not an option.

Hope that answers your question.

TheMink

Evil Ryu and akuma like to end combos in sweep to get a hard knockdown that can lead to another setup.

It gives me better positioning to keep up the pressure. With sweep I get more ways to make the opponent guess. When I jump, will I stay in front of him, will a cross up, or will I empty jump? I used all 3 methods in that video and guessed correctly several times to put him right back in the same situation.

If I end combos in SRK, I get a little more damage but I lose that position. Whatever I do next I'll always be in front of him unless he's in the corner. Jumping forward right after landing a heavy punch SRK from someone like Evil Ryu or Ryu(again, unless in the corner) is also a very bad because I can easily be anti-air'd so that's not an option.

Hope that answers your question.

Yeah thanks, I'm trying to learn me some evil ryu. You are epicly good btw.

Owensboro

I played him in ranked earlier and my jaw dropped when he did like 4 claps on me in a row.
I had no idea hugo could link those together.

H -> M -> EX -> L. It's a crazy. I was trying it out in training yesterday and was having trouble with the EX -> L link, and had no hope of getting the lp into lariat. Just now watching the video, I realized he's just doing a half moon motion back to front (from the end of the clap), tapping the lp at the bottom and then kick at the front. I don't know why, but my brain never pieced together you could just use that momentum to link the moves. I kept thinking "ok, now down, now back and forward into lariat."

Gotta love when you feel like an idiot!

Reminds me of my shallow reasoning when looking for a new go-to character in Third Strike when Dhalsim wasn't part of the roster.

"Oh, Necro can stretch his limbs too. Sold."

Suffice to say I was awful at him since they're absolutely nothing alike. Did like hitting people with his taunt though.

http://abload.de/img/necro-tauntqkiqx.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Shallow? Pshaw! Potatoes care nothing about shallowness.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Someone just posted his frame data on reddit
. Thanks though! By the looks of it, his hk are the same and is negative on block. The frame advantage on stinger is insane! +19 on hit and +11 on block. This is done at the lowest point possible though. Knife throw can occur on the 9th frame while you're only airborne on the 12th. If you delay it long enough and throw the knife as soon as you're airborne, +16 on hit and +8 on block is still great.

Oh yeah. Getting an air to air stinger you can still slide and it will combo half screen. I use it to set up pogo stick shenanigans on their oki. EX version is fast as hell too and does decent chip.

Owensboro

geez, some people seem to really lose their shit if you taunt them, win or lose.

http://i.imgur.com/K9KzYIT.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

If I get in a mirror match I always backdash and taunt out of respect. No one ever seems to get it :( But hey, Dudley and Hugo gotta keep it classy.

However, if some dude just ran a combo video on me and it obviously trolling the lower PP and BP tiers, I get real mad.

Onemic

After doing an extended session with Elena today...I'm back to thinking that eventually she'll be considered bottom tier.

Bizazedo

Ran into a guy I swear was using a lag switch last night. Beat his Sagat the first round, second round I had a lead...."Waiting for player".

I stood motionless, then I start getting blasted with tiger shot after tiger shot. Right when I'd get control back, after eating several tiger shots...."Waiting for player".

Followed by more Tiger Shots into my defenseless body.

Said screw it and quit out of the match before the round even ended, made no sense.

Aquashark

Banned
Rolento is all sorts of ass.

everyone associates him with "mobility", when there isn't any:
- forward dash is terrible
- walkspeed is terrible
- walljump can't be controlled at all
- rolls are predictable
- no scouter jump

aside from his "mobility", there comes more nerfs compared to initial arcade release:
- no more EX Rekka invincibility, leaving him with a truly gimmick reversal (EX walljump)
- s.MP has very few active frames, using this (especially online) is a sure way to troll yourself hard
- rolls and leap attack are -8, -10 on block (punishable even with straight ultra by some chars)
- no more chainable lights

all his strong points now are very boring, you basically play around landing EX rekka into ultra and try to get some mediocre damage here and there..

minor annoyance: pogo stick is done with strictly down (why change it from SFxT for no reason?)

overall: meh, bottom 10 character. play Vega instead!

El Sloth

Banned
How the PSN Team Tourney is looking so far:

the_log_ride
vulva
hypernima
direct_quote
Imm0rt4l
Marz
howdyjacker
Passive Assassin

and me. Enough for three teams. Then there's the people who want to play, but can't because of the day/time:

MiniBossBattle
Tansut
Rice-Eater

Enough for another team. So then let me ask you guys, would prefer doing this some other time that's not Friday evening? Sunday? Tonight?

And there's still room for 6 more people/2 teams if anyone else wants to participate.

I said this a couple pages back

Hugo players, you can punish blanka balls! Take advantage of it! I have only came across one hugo so far that would punish ball.

Alucard was the Hugo I was talking about, had some great matches with him, play this guy if you want to learn the matchup. I should probably upload the match where 3rd round, catches me with a empty jump throw, then a series of claps into super. 2 correct guesses and I was already at 25% health... embarrassing, but it was sick.

I think Blanka could use an air grab.

As a Blanka main, no, that shit would be busted, he already has multiple anti airs, and jump fierce beats outs a lot of other characters air normals.

K.Sabot

Elena's fine, has a strong high low mixup game. HP mallet is -1 and comboable.

They just need to fix her Lynx Tail and Spin Scythe as well as her Rhino Horn not hitting all of the hits for her to be a decent to strong character.

Going back to makoto after a day of elena was tough, felt like I was a tree rooted in place when playing footsies.

hypernima

Banned
I see you can't punish blanka ball anymore with mk ruffian kick.
Which makes blanka ball spamming a good and simple technique for easy blanka wins vs cody.
unless you use u2

After doing an extended session with Elena today...I'm back to thinking that eventually she'll be considered bottom tier.

She seems like total garbage to me. No CQC anti air, shit hit boxes on her heavy jump ins and no good cross ups. I cant win with her but Im not so good at this game anyway.
Her intro is funny. She practically moons the opponent. lol

OceanBlue

As a Blanka main, no, that shit would be busted, he already has multiple anti airs, and jump fierce beats outs a lot of other characters air normals.

Lol I wasn't serious. I was just watching a Blanka and thinking, "You know what would be annoying?"

I've seen the light of endless lobbies. They're pretty fun. I haven't done a ranked match since Ultra came out and I don't think I will for a while.

SmokeMaxX

Which makes blanka ball spamming a good and simple technique for easy blanka wins vs cody.
unless you use u2
Just stick out a normal (like a jab) to check the blanka ball. Or you can jump it and punish.

Imm0rt4l

- walkspeed is terrible
- rolls are predictable
- no scouter jump

aside from his "mobility", there comes more nerfs compared to initial arcade release:
- no more EX Rekka invincibility, leaving him with a truly gimmick reversal (EX walljump)
- s.MP has very few active frames, using this (especially online) is a sure way to troll yourself hard
- rolls and leap attack are -8, -10 on block (punishable even with straight ultra by some chars)

all his strong points now are very boring, you basically play around landing EX rekka into ultra and try to get some mediocre damage here and there..

minor annoyance: pogo stick is done with strictly down (why change it from SFxT for no reason?)

step your game up/10

I really doubt you've totally deconstructed the character in what might be a few hours of playing him

Imm0rt4l

the_log_ride
vulva
hypernima
direct_quote
Imm0rt4l
Marz
howdyjacker
Passive Assassin

and me. Enough for three teams. Then there's the people who want to play, but can't because of the day/time:

MiniBossBattle
Tansut
Rice-Eater

Enough for another team. So then let me ask you guys, would prefer doing this some other time that's not Friday evening? Sunday? Tonight?

And there's still room for 6 more people/2 teams if anyone else wants to participate.
Sunday would be perfect for me. Friday is first Friday, and I was hoping to hit downtown art district and Insert Coin.

edit: But the tournament seems to be early enough in the night that I can do both anyways.

xCobalt

Unless I'm reading it wrong, cl.Hk is +2 on block. Also the reddit page and the app seem to have some differences.

App says close standing HK is +6 on hit and +2 on block.

My bad. Thanks for pointing that out

How is it going from Gouken to Rolento?

This might be a dumb question, but is anything transferable at all?

I enjoy playing both characters and they do feel a bit similar. I play a pretty defensive rolento at the moment and much like gouken, you really have to be on point with anti airs or you're done. He can aa with far hk, st mp or close hp depending on the spacing. They're also similar if you get knocked down as they don't really have a strong "get off me" move.

I think once I get more familiar with his normals, I'll be more aggressive. I'm in the process of learning frame traps and landing safe pogo mixups.

El Sloth

Banned
I havent played in ages but the games seems really off in terms of timing and such. Could be just rust/old age lol.
Nah, it's online play. I don't know how things are on 360, but on PSN I will get green bar matches that feels like Rose is moving through molasses. And other matches that seem better, but I have to adjust the timing for my tick throw setups if I don't want to whiff grab in their face. Teching grabs is nigh impossible sometimes.

Not sure if this is the fault of the Ultra update or because there's a avalanche of new players who are playing online over wi-fi.

If you are reading this thread and playing online over wi-fi instead of a wired connection, then please, for the sake of my sanity, get an ethernet cable.

kaydigi

Is the SEN store really this useless?
I can't find any costume pack for any version of SF4 in the SEN store site(Europe).

Do i really have to do it from the console?

Btw, what's the cheapest way to get all the costumes?

Try to sort by price high to low.

Onemic

She seems like total garbage to me. No CQC anti air, shit hit boxes on her heavy jump ins and no good cross ups. I cant win with her but Im not so good at this game anyway.
Her intro is funny. She practically moons the opponent. lol

j.mk is actually a great crossup. The problem is that because Elena has one of the floatiest jumps in the game it's pretty much rendered useless as a result. There's really little to no point jumping with Elena unless you're going for a fireball punish.

the_log_ride
vulva
hypernima
direct_quote
Imm0rt4l
Marz
howdyjacker
Passive Assassin

MiniBossBattle
Tansut
Rice-Eater

im busy friday and saturday night. friday for the local monthly tourney :eek:. tonight would be cool

the_log_ride
vulva
hypernima
direct_quote
Imm0rt4l
Marz
howdyjacker
Passive Assassin

MiniBossBattle
Tansut
Rice-Eater

I work an 8-5 m-f, and I'm more of a night owl when it comes to playing, since the gf and dogs will be asleep. Friday night works for me, or Sunday.

Laconic

Banned
Elena's fine, has a strong high low mixup game. HP mallet is -1 and comboable.

They just need to fix her Lynx Tail and Spin Scythe as well as her Rhino Horn not hitting all of the hits for her to be a decent to strong character.

Going back to makoto after a day of elena was tough, felt like I was a tree rooted in place when playing footsies.

Really? I think she is bottom five. Tops. After the dust settles, I seriously doubt anyone will be placing in any major with her, much less actually winning.

Lol I wasn't serious. I was just watching a Blanka and thinking, "You know what would be annoying?"

Ah, ok, I've seen some incredibly stupid buffs asked for blanka on unity and shoryuken, so I wasn't sure lol.

unless you use u2

Upball and close blocked ball can still be punished, but still, idk why they added more pushback on block, it was great for cody, he'd get a hit and it got him in to. Even then I'd say that matchup was in blanka's favor.

How many people have been using double ultra? I think I'll use it for some matchups, but its hard to give up the damage and chip U1 and U2 have.

vulva

the_log_ride
vulva
hypernima
direct_quote
Imm0rt4l
Marz
howdyjacker
Passive Assassin

MiniBossBattle
Tansut
Rice-Eater

If it gets switched to Sunday evening I can still do it but not until like 11:30pm. I'm working til 10:30 and it takes me about 45 mins to get home

hypernima

Banned
Just stick out a normal (like a jab) to check the blanka ball. Or you can jump it and punish.

It's just me. i figured out a way to punish but you know what. Blanka so safe that even when he whiffs a roll for some reason U2 did not punish him. I am just going to have to hold these L's of losing to braindead PSN Blankas.

the_log_ride
vulva
hypernima
direct_quote
Imm0rt4l
Marz
howdyjacker
Passive Assassin

MiniBossBattle
Tansut
Rice-Eater

If it were moved to Sunday it'd be immensely better for me, actually. Thx for organizing this, sloth.

kodecraft

- walkspeed is terrible
- rolls are predictable
- no scouter jump

Must be why I have knocked out all Rolentos online.

I love knocking out the Hugo's online too.

I'm a Cody player btw.

Top Bottom