• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

j.mk is actually a great crossup. The problem is that because Elena has one of the floatiest jumps in the game it's pretty much rendered useless as a result. There's really little to no point jumping with Elena unless you're going for a fireball punish.

Ive played pretty much nothing but Elena since SF4U launched, and I still dont know how to use her.
Ive found her cr.hp is an ok anti air if you can anticipate the opponent jumping in early enough. The mk you mentioned always seems to whiff for me when I try to croos up and I cant seem to link her cr.lk>cr.lk>cr.mp consistantly at all. It must be a 1 or 2 frame link :mad:

Shackzam

This game still gets me the saltiest when I play online. I really hate fighting people online because a lot of my block strings/frame traps don't work on psn with the slight lag and I end up getting jabbed out or dp'd. I just don't understand the online environment. I just need to find some people to just play some chill casual matches to play online.

Onemic

Ive played pretty much nothing but Elena since SF4U launched, and I still dont know how to use her.
Ive found her cr.hp is an ok anti air if you can anticipate the opponent jumping in early enough. The mk you mentioned always seems to whiff for me when I try to croos up and I cant seem to link her cr.lk>cr.lk>cr.mp consistantly at all. It must be a 1 or 2 frame link :mad:

why are you doing c.lk, c.lk? c.lk is only +3 on hit so you can't link another c.lk after as it has a 4 frame startup. do c.lk, c.lp, c.mp xx whatever if you're going for a meaty low.

And yes, it's a 1 frame link(two 1 frame links actually, heh) Pretty much all of Elena's combos are 1 frame links and jab 1 frame links at that, so no plinking.

also cr.hp is an ass AA, dont use it. Use st.mp(her best one), cr.mk, cr.mp, or ct.lp if you want to AA. st.hp can also be used for far away jump ins, but due to the long startup, it's not as reliable as the other normals I mentioned

This game still gets me the saltiest when I play online. I really hate fighting people online because a lot of my block strings/frame traps don't work on psn with the slight lag and I end up getting jabbed out or dp'd. I just don't understand the online environment. I just need to find some people to just play some chill casual matches to play online.

That's how both consoles can get online online. Just some good old online tactics, nothing beats local versus. Either way I'm sure you'll adapt to the online environment and figure out what does and doesn't work online/offline after a bit.

Marz

Ran into a guy I swear was using a lag switch last night. Beat his Sagat the first round, second round I had a lead...."Waiting for player".

I stood motionless, then I start getting blasted with tiger shot after tiger shot. Right when I'd get control back, after eating several tiger shots...."Waiting for player".

Followed by more Tiger Shots into my defenseless body.

Said screw it and quit out of the match before the round even ended, made no sense.

I'm pretty sure that was me haha was it on PS3?

Also Rice Eater, Dominus_What, Immortal, OneMic and anyone else GAF PS3 lobby tonight???

Bizazedo

Trying to use Bison's standing MP online in combos is annoying a hell. That and the increased speed for Devil's Reverse?

I don't like it, feels like I have less room to maneuver.

tried rolento, Hugo and poison last night before using my normal characters. poison have some nice 5 hit combos. Hugo is very powerful. Will learn home soon. Ran into alot of Decapre players. Must mean the end of Cammy

Shackzam

That's how both consoles can get online online. Just some good old online tactics, nothing beats local versus. Either way I'm sure you'll adapt to the online environment and figure out what does and doesn't work online/offline after a bit.

Yeah I love playing this game with the people in the scene in my local scene. It's things like when I get dp'd when I'm purposely trying to bait a dp. I completely lose my cool when that shit happens to me online. I just need to sort of get used to it whenever I play online. I feel I do better when I have some warm up online matches first.

alstein

tried rolento, Hugo and poison last night before using my normal characters. poison have some nice 5 hit combos. Hugo is very powerful. Will learn home soon. Ran into alot of Decapre players. Must mean the end of Cammy

They'll run back to Cammy in a couple of weeks. Decapre's too honest for Cammy players. ^_^

Tansut

How the PSN Team Tourney is looking so far:

the_log_ride
vulva
hypernima
direct_quote
Imm0rt4l
Marz
howdyjacker
Passive Assassin

and me. Enough for three teams. Then there's the people who want to play, but can't because of the day/time:

MiniBossBattle
Tansut
Rice-Eater

Enough for another team. So then let me ask you guys, would prefer doing this some other time that's not Friday evening? Sunday? Tonight?

And there's still room for 6 more people/2 teams if anyone else wants to participate.
I can do tonight after 9 EST or anytime after like 11 EST on Sunday.

Also Rice Eater, Dominus_What, Immortal, OneMic and anyone else GAF PS3 lobby tonight???
I'll probably be able to do a lobby for a little while tonight at some point.

oracrest

I just recently modded my TE stick with custom art

JuVYQJy.jpg

I picked up the arcade edition last night and downloaded Ultra.

I'm new to IV, but man it feels slow compared to third strike. I really miss the parry too. I heard there is a kind of parry/block in this one though? How do you execute that?

alstein

JuVYQJy.jpg

I'm new to IV, but man it feels slow compared to third strike. I really miss the parry too. I heard there is a kind of parry/block in this one though? How do you execute that?

Get Yatagarasu when it hits Steam in a few months.

Bizazedo

I'm pretty sure that was me haha was it on PS3?

Na, was on XBL. Lowercase name beginning with q. quinterog or some nonsense.

Secondary result of this is that I've played so many games, disconnecting like I did still left me at 0% disconnect rate. Woo!

JuVYQJy.jpg

Focus Attack. MP+MK. Absorbs one hit (non armorbreaking moves).

Red Focus. LP+MP+MK. Uses 2 meter. Absorbs as much as it can (non armor breaking moves).

Both can be held down to charge it.

Threi

notag
The more i play decapre...

Its the first time since vanilla bison that i felt that i found "my" char.

Gunna keep deejay around for when i need a fireball char (or when some fool wants to run their mouth that decapre is too cheap), but its so good that i can finally move on from that hell.

The more i play decapre...

Its the first time since vanilla bison that i felt that i found "my" char.

Gunna keep deejay around for when i need a fireball char (or when some fool wants to run their mouth that decapre is too cheap), but its so good that i can finally move on from that hell.

Decapre is definitely nice. I'm really liking Elena too, but she feels so unfinished still. (See Wolfkrone video)

To anyone not using an arcade stick:
How easy is it to execute a Red Focus on a standard controller, like a dualshock?

LP+MK+MP seems rather uncomfortable...
I wish they just put Red Focus on HP+HK and moved taunt to the Select button or something.

Geniuzz

This game is fun. So far unbeaten in Ultra on PSN, but had to hold a few Ls on Xbox Live. Hugo is hard to play with, but I got a GG even in losing with him against a Canadian player. No hatemail just yet, but I did already get someone to rage-quit just when he was about to lose. Haven't made up my mind yet who I am going to main, but I'm liking the new characters.

I played against a French guy on Xbox Live in Endless and he mercilessly beat me 10-0. More time in the dojo, I suppose

Bizazedo

How easy is it to execute a Red Focus on a standard controller, like a dualshock?

I wish they just put Red Focus on HP+HK and moved taunt to the Select button or something.

Extremely easy, 3P and 3K buttons together will trigger it.

Kieli

When you mod an arcade stick with custom artwork, do you just print it out on cardboard paper, or do you actually have to engrave it on a thin layer of wood/glass/metal (and then slide it underneath the frame)?

vixlar

Man, you deserve a Nobel Prize

El Sloth

Banned
I sort of figured organizing at least 6 people from different timezones to show up at the same time to play teams was going to be a pain in the butt, but dammit I want to try this at least one time while that new game smell still has so many people playing.

Sunday would be perfect for me. Friday is first Friday, and I was hoping to hit downtown art district and Insert Coin.

edit: But the tournament seems to be early enough in the night that I can do both anyways.
I work an 8-5 m-f, and I'm more of a night owl when it comes to playing, since the gf and dogs will be asleep. Friday night works for me, or Sunday.
If it were moved to Sunday it'd be immensely better for me, actually. Thx for organizing this, sloth.
I'm leaning towards moving it to Sunday since it seems to be the best day for most of us.

im busy friday and saturday night. friday for the local monthly tourney :eek:. tonight would be cool
Sunday not Saturday.
I can do tonight after 9 EST or anytime after like 11 EST on Sunday.
If it gets switched to Sunday evening I can still do it but not until like 11:30pm. I'm working til 10:30 and it takes me about 45 mins to get home
Hmm, I don't know if people are going to be willing to stay up that late. You're EST too right, Vulva?
I'd be down for a GAF lobby tonight.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I might be up for a lobby on PSN tonight too. Easiest way to get stuff like this going is to just join the SSF4 chat.

Gambit61

why are you doing c.lk, c.lk? c.lk is only +3 on hit so you can't link another c.lk after as it has a 4 frame startup. do c.lk, c.lp, c.mp xx whatever if you're going for a meaty low.

And yes, it's a 1 frame link(two 1 frame links actually, heh) Pretty much all of Elena's combos are 1 frame links and jab 1 frame links at that, so no plinking.

also cr.hp is an ass AA, dont use it. Use st.mp(her best one), cr.mk, cr.mp, or ct.lp if you want to AA. st.hp can also be used for far away jump ins, but due to the long startup, it's not as reliable as the other normals I mentioned

This explains why I can't combo for shit online.

Yeah I love playing this game with the people in the scene in my local scene. It's things like when I get dp'd when I'm purposely trying to bait a dp. I completely lose my cool when that shit happens to me online. I just need to sort of get used to it whenever I play online. I feel I do better when I have some warm up online matches first.

Yeah, this happens all the time to me online in Tekken Tag 2 and Ultra. I'm normally pretty calm but when shit like that happens I instantly lose it lol.

local > online for sure.

Sorry, I dont know why I said lk. I meant cr. lp>cr.lp>cr.mp
I am really struggling without a good AA. I'll try her st.mp next time. Thanks.

And there were people who didn't believe Spooky last night!

That was at NLBC, right? He said something like how the points don't matter right now because people with more time get more points?

If you punish Honda's headbutt with EX Messiah as Rufus then U1 is guaranteed without FADCing. Any headbutt. From any range.

Top Bottom