• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

He said that some people are motivated by the need to have other people see their name on that High Score board. ;)

Oh yeah now I remember. It's true I guess! But it's a target to encourage me to work and keep up with practice before some major tournaments I am planning to go to in the next few months.

Onemic

Sorry, I dont know why I said lk. I meant cr. lp>cr.lp>cr.mp
I am really struggling without a good AA. I'll try her st.mp next time. Thanks.

Just be aware that even s.mp is just a decent AA and it does very low dmg for an AA, so you might have to tag a jump happy opponent multiple times with it for them to respect your AA game and stay on the ground. If it trades you will never have advantage. Use s.lp for opponents that jump in at close range as it hits at a higher angle.

Getting hate mail right now because I beat some guys main with my Day 3 Elena.

It's funny when people go so hard against a character I'm learning and still get bopped.

He gotta hold that L

Just be aware that even s.mp is just a decent AA and it does very low dmg for an AA, so you might have to tag a jump happy opponent multiple times with it for them to respect your AA game and stay on the ground. If it trades you will never have advantage. Use s.lk for opponents that jump in at close range as it hits at a higher angle.
Did you mean to say s.lp? I can't imagine how Lk would be used as an AA

Onemic

Getting hate mail right now because I beat some guys main with my Day 3 Elena.

It's funny when people go so hard against a character I'm learning and still get bopped.

He gotta hold that L

I want hate hatemail for wins :(

I actually haven't gotten any kind of hatemail yet. I'm sorta surprised lol.

Did you mean to say s.lp? I can't imagine how Lk would be used as an AA

Whoops, ya st.lp.

I want hate hatemail for wins :(

I actually haven't gotten any kind of hatemail yet. I'm sorta surprised lol.

Whoops, ya st.lp.
Question. You may know since you've been practicing Elena

Do you know if you combo into rhino horn and hold forward jump immediately after is it a safe jump?

kodecraft

Didn't know you could grab Balrog out his charging punches. I have done this to three different Rogs, they rush-punch, I grab them and throw them, then proceed to knock them out. Timing is everything though.

Tik-Tok

Didn't know you could grab Balrog out his charging punches. I have done this to three different Rogs, they rush-punch, I grab them and throw them, then proceed to knock them out. Timing is everything though.

I always feel like this is the gut punch Bald Bull's bull charge of SF4

hmm, I've never tried that, as if I ever cancel into RH, I link it into EX dp. I'll have to test that out.
Yeah for easy punishes so I don't have to worry about links, I've just been doing HP xx m rhino horn. It does 250, so it's fine damage, I'm just curious about setups after. No one has punished me yet for jumping in but no one has dp'd which is hella surprising.

Threi

notag
why are fools so thirsty for damage with decapre...most of her better options are defensive/mixup based, not offensive.

Im very interested to see who sticks with her for the long run (i know i am)

AmyS

I'm just going to wait for the packaged retail release because Capcom says on the digital store that you cannot downgrade once you install Ultra. So for starters, I assume the SSFIV intro will be changed to the Ultra intro, and I wouldn't get to see SSFIV's intro with its music anymore as it would be replaced with Ultra's intro & music. If that isn't true, tell me so.

Not to mention anything else.

Tik-Tok

why are fools so thirsty for damage with decapre...most of her better options are defensive/mixup based, not offensive.

Im very interested to see who sticks with her for the long run (i know i am)

I'm still trying to figure her out so I'm keeping it basic. I know it's probably kind of a bad idea because I'll end up forming bad habits in terms of always ending combos with the DP instead of slide or hands or whatever, but right now it's the easiest option.

Laconic

Banned
I'm still trying to figure her out so I'm keeping it basic. I know it's probably kind of a bad idea because I'll end up forming bad habits in terms of always ending combos with the DP instead of slide or hands or whatever, but right now it's the easiest option.

Eh. hit confirm into DP FADC air throw is nice damage.

vulva

I sort of figured organizing at least 6 people from different timezones to show up at the same time to play teams was going to be a pain in the butt, but dammit I want to try this at least one time while that new game smell still has so many people playing.

I'm leaning towards moving it to Sunday since it seems to be the best day for most of us.

Sunday not Saturday.

Hmm, I don't know if people are going to be willing to stay up that late. You're EST too right, Vulva?

I'd be down for a GAF lobby tonight.
Ya I'm EST

notworksafe

I'm just going to wait for the packaged retail release because Capcom says on the digital store that you cannot downgrade once you install Ultra. So for starters, I assume the SSFIV intro will be changed to the Ultra intro, and I wouldn't get to see SSFIV's intro with its music anymore as it would be replaced with Ultra's intro & music. If that isn't true, tell me so.

Not to mention anything else.

I use the Super disc w/ ultra dlc and still see the super intro and title screen.

Onemic

YESSSSS! I got my first piece of hatemail ever just now. From a Zangief player that lost to my Elena. He wanted to get in so bad but he could never do it as I just kept him out by either using her slide at max range or using s.hp to knock him out of the sky when he jumped. When he began respecting my slide and stopped walking forward and instead crouch blocked I just pushed him into the corner and the loop continued. The salt is real.

Elena's slide spaced perfectly is -1 so gief cant even punish it unless he has super.

Yeah for easy punishes so I don't have to worry about links, I've just been doing HP xx m rhino horn. It does 250, so it's fine damage, I'm just curious about setups after. No one has punished me yet for jumping in but no one has dp'd which is hella surprising.

I would think it isn't since it's not a hard knowckdown and elenas jump is hella floaty, I'll test it and see though

Anyone in the PSN Scrub League want to beat my terrible Hugo?

add me on PSN: onem1c

YESSSSS! I got my first piece of hatemail ever just now. From a Zangief player that lost to my Elena. He wanted to get in so bad but he could never do it as I just kept him out by either using her slide at max range or using s.hp to knock him out of the sky when he jumped. When he began respecting my slide and stopped walking forward and instead crouch blocked I just pushed him into the corner and the loop continued. The salt is real.

Elena's slide spaced perfectly is -1 so gief cant even punish it unless he has super.

I would think it isn't since it's not a hard knowckdown and elenas jump is hella floaty, I'll test it and see though

Good things to know for Gief

And I just tested some of it, but not extensively since I don't have the patience.
But doing a j.mk after rhino horn is definitely a gamble. If Ryu does a tech immediately and does reversal dp of any strength, she will go right over it. Non reversals will blow her up. If she empty jumps she will still get blown up by certain timings of techs and dp's.

Sagat seems free to this shit though.

EDIT: by the way I tested all of this with mk rhino horn. Never tried Lk version or hk version

Onemic

Good things to know for Gief

And I just tested some of it, but not extensively since I don't have the patience.
But doing a j.mk after rhino horn is definitely a gamble. If Ryu does a tech immediately and does reversal dp of any strength, she will go right over it. Non reversals will blow her up. If she empty jumps she will still get blown up by certain timings of techs and dp's.

Sagat seems free to this shit though.

The problem is getting in with Elena in the Sagat MU in the first place. That's gonna be a nightmare matchup for Elena. Same goes with Juri.

Threi

notag

as far as i can tell her dp is the most damage. It doesn't really give the best setup though.

Anne

Decapre actually deals good damage from what I've seen and done, and she has good offensive options so ye.

Anyways, curious if anybody messed with the Poison stuff I found yesterday. Her actual mix up game sees really weak, but her pressure/throw game seems good (thanks cl.MK) and her ability to safely reset into pressure situations seems like the way to go.

The problem is getting in with Elena in the Sagat MU in the first place. That's gonna be a nightmare matchup for Elena. Same goes with Juri.
I can imagine Juri being a pain in the ass. Sagat has been difficult, but I've just been super patient. I sit there and whiff Lk lynx tail to build meter and then once I get one I try to use it wisely, haha.
Decapre actually deals good damage from what I've seen and done, and she has good offensive options so ye.

Anyways, curious if anybody messed with the Poison stuff I found yesterday. Her actual mix up game sees really weak, but her pressure/throw game seems good (thanks cl.MK) and her ability to safely reset into pressure situations seems like the way to go.
What did you find?

GrayFoxPL

Ken feels good. He can't rolfocopter, but little damage buffs here and there, fixed medium shoryuken and speedy walk makes him feel better for me.

Also maybe I'm crazy but his target combo seems to connect little better.

Imm0rt4l

Das it mane

Anne

What did you find?

Basically meatie LMT is awesome. Here's my post:

So proof of concept with Poison's LMT hitting meatie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZihApC_RjU&feature=youtu.be

So the obvious thing is this loses to DPs and there is no mix up. The fun part is that even though there is no mix up, it gets + on block since meatie, so people will want to respect it or eat this. The other fun thing is I have found set ups that beat out a lot of character's reversals. Unfortunately they aren't + enough to link cl.HK after, only cl.MK (I wanted a cool looking combo :p) and I still need to test them out vs the entire cast. Long story short, this is just for the sake of a cool combo idea, but meatie LMT is a strong way to reset pressure, and if somebody is being dumb you get to kill them.

I found anti DP set ups and char specific ones that leave her around 0 to +2 on block. They still need some work and I'll leave it to Poison players to find those set ups, but these and meatie fireball set ups are pretty real.

Also I know now that you can link cl.HK off some of the other set ups, it's just hard as all hell.

For the hell of it here's the original concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ohByjF5C1k

It loses to LP DP(which reaaaaally sucks) but beats MP and HP from Ryu. Toasts a lot of other reversals from other chars, but I believe it can be improved vastly so I didn't bother sharing it.

hypernima

Banned

I found anti DP set ups and char specific ones that leave her around 0 to +2 on block. They still need some work and I'll leave it to Poison players to find those set ups, but these and meatie fireball set ups are pretty real.

Also I know now that you can link cl.HK off some of the other set ups, it's just hard as all hell.

For the hell of it here's the original concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ohByjF5C1k

It loses to LP DP(which reaaaaally sucks) but beats MP and HP from Ryu. Toasts a lot of other reversals from other chars, but I believe it can be improved vastly so I didn't bother sharing it.

it's funny you post this because i was just going to go into the lab after watching melo play poison. He uses this move a shit ton, and I thought you could only really link cr.lp afterwards.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Two questions:

1. How are the Elena players getting in and starting offense? I've tried running casuals with local cats and beyond the first 10 seconds, the game ends up with me playing defense jumping around.

2. Is Balrog's Dirty Bull a 1 frame Ultra? I've been thinking of using W Ultra with him for utility against grapplers. Oh you thought you caught my TAP? Ultra 2~!

Two questions:

1. How are the Elena players getting in and starting offense? I've tried running casuals with local cats and beyond the first 10 seconds, the game ends up with me playing defense jumping around.

2. Is Balrog's Dirty Bull a 1 frame Ultra? I've been thinking of using W Ultra with him for utility against grapplers. Oh you thought you caught my TAP? Ultra 2~!

2. You can still jump out of Balrog's U2 on reaction. Not sure the frames on it tho

Anne

it's funny you post this because i was just going to go into the lab after watching melo play poison. He uses this move a shit ton, and I thought you could only really link cr.lp afterwards.

Well normally yes, but it has 5 active frames so the meatie potential is pretty damn high. It's also a good spacing tool since it goes over lows/fireballs and on CH you get a big dumb combo (300+ meterless on a good chunk of characters). It's safe too. Doesn't mean you can just throw it out though, it's slow and easy to hit her out of it.

You can't just throw it out in pressure though, you should get DPed /everytime/ unless you condition somebody, and even then it's slow. Catching crouch techs would be cool if it were faster but it's start up is slower than most crouch shorts total and it's too visible. You'd need hella plus frames (meatie fireball set ups maybe?). It's also -1 on block without meatie so that sucks. Setting up into it to get around reversals and make it more + is going to be fun. It has a potential cross up hitbox, but I can't get it to actually connect cross up on somebody, she lands and hits behind them but it's always front.

Onemic

Two questions:

step 1: never jump with Elena
setp 2: repeat step 1

Elena has the worst jump in the game period. Anyone can dp the fuck out of that jump for free, it's that floaty. Only jump if you're doing A2A or attempting to punish a fireball. Walk back and forth and try poking with c.lp or c.mp. c.mp beats shoto c.mk's free. Occasionally throw in c.mp buffered into stuff. use slide at max range if you see the opponent constantly walking to check them for not blocking low. Use her EX mallet in neutral to blow them up for respecting your slide. if you're facing a projectile character that's not Sagat or Juri use EX rhino horn to punish their fireball on reaction. Slide can be used as well, but it's more of a read than a reaction move as her hurtbox doesnt go low enough in time to properly punish fireballs on reaction.

In all honestly, Elena is just a terrible character all around. The key to winning is beating the player, much more so than the character.

Oh that's some nice stuff.

Finally got another chance to hop online and was sad to see that there appears to be a bit more lag today then on day one. Also sad to see that I have dropped to 140ish Hugo on PSN. I know I will never be top 20 again :(

Is there any practical purpose to Hugo's super feint? The recovery is so long that I cannot see when it would be useful. It would be nice if he could cancel that end pose into one of his ultras, but you just stand there. I guess you retain the fireball invincibility, but if you were to run through fireballs you would probably connect with whoever threw it as well.

I also got the chance to go through the frame data app. It is a fairly nice resource, but could use some work. I would like to know what each move does for meter building. There is also stats for distance moved for dashes and distance per frame while walking. I would like to know what those units are. I don't think they indicate "big boxes" from the training room floor as I don't think they add up, but I could be wrong.

The app itself could use a bit of editing overall. There is an icon for dragon punch and reverse dragon punch, but Hugo's Backbreaker is listed as individual icons for Forward, Down and Down-Forward.

Top Bottom