• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

W ultras are so ticklish. Though they can put you in a shitty position depending on the character using them. Hakan W ultra = every choice you make is wrong.

Thank goodness he's one of the 60% characters.

Who's this Chun Li? Your strategy of going to the other corner and focusing fireballs til u get ultra and not doing anything else is some 2008 XBL stuff

Lol just went on a 4 game win streak in the lobby, let's see how you do.

lol Marz blown up. For a guy who trash talks another person on GAF to only get blown up hard and for that person to have a 10 game win streak (you can see the streak in the Chun video)... Why would you even do that?

I didn't actually see a linked combo in those matches from Sagat except for a jump in rh followed by a cr. mk and then it ended.

My post about Floyd was just poking fun. This on the other hand, damn. Thank you based Capcom for the youtube feature. Now no one is safe from the blow ups.

Marz

lol Marz blown up. For a guy who trash talks another person on GAF to only get blown up hard and for that person to have a 10 game win streak (you can see the streak in the Chun video)... Why would you even do that?

I didn't actually see a linked combo in those matches from Sagat except for a jump in rh followed by a cr. mk and then it ended.

Who is you? Trash talking is what makes the game fun.

And the win streak wasnt just on me. He beat my Sagat 4-1.

Who is you? Trash talking is what makes the game fun.

And the win streak wasnt just on me. He beat my Sagat 4-1.

Well duh the win streak wasn't just on you. There was a lobby. I just find it hilarious that you call out his Chun and then say "I just got 4 wins in a row, lets see how you can do" and he totally blows you up on it :p

My post about Floyd was just poking fun. This on the other hand, damn. Thank you based Capcom for the youtube feature. Now no one is safe from the blow ups.

Exactly haha

Turtlesnatcher was around a lot more during the Vanilla and Super days. I believe he is/was a Pad Fuerte. Eventually he stopped coming around SF4/FG threads. It's good to see some old faces pop up every now and then.

Turtlesnatcher was around a lot more during the Vanilla and Super days. I believe he is/was a Pad Fuerte. Eventually he stopped coming around SF4/FG threads. It's good to see some old faces pop up every now and then.

I actually continued to play through AE2012 .. Never stopped but I just didn't play much online and just played offline with co-workers at work.

Still using Fuerte, and my alt is still Cody. I dabble with Cammy and Ryu

Mœbius

What are these akuma buffs?
Sorry was sleeping...

Mainly his st.Fierce being buffed - can link into it from light and go to hadouken (true blockstring) and then into FADC etc. It's also cancellable; into srk or shaku so again, guaranteed pressure and stun. Basically it feels like his neutral / ground game is stronger now with higher potential stun output, which makes sense since the overall vortex game has been slightly nerfed.

The buff to his st. medium kick - forcing crouching opponents to stand - also adds to this increased pressure in his ground game and bnbs.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftearndPwoU&t=2m54s

Thanks for the combo practice Floyd. I'll make sure not to drop it next time :p

Haha, gotta respect Floyd for not just mashing DP or something during that.

He accepted his fate, and I believe it created a moment there.

Also gotta respect dat ERyu with his hair down.
Would love to fight sometime if you don't mind testing connection to wherever you're based (I have a silky smooth wired connection if it helps).
PSN: BobioJapan

So, played as Rufus online last night.

I think the reason that he's probably in the top five for rarest online characters is pretty clear. Amazing offline character, but online? Profound sadness.

Here's why:

Rufus is a rushdown character who is unsafe sometimes, has relatively hard BNBs and a very good EX reversal. He has to be able to put you in a blockstring, play smart footsies and deal with certain difficult matchups (grapplers, Sagat).

Online play is riddled with people who start mashing and guessing as soon as they get put under any kind of pressure. This isn't raging, this is what I've seen over and over again in both this version and 2012. There only thing I can read is that they will do *something* at any given point, but beyond that it's like a massive cloud of WTF.

The difference between offline - where I get rewarded with pressure for good reads, can actually play a bait game, can go for tricky crossup setups and other difficult stuff - and online - where people will do ANYTHING to get out of pressure or any situation they are not totally comfortable with and blockstrings are blown up by lag - is night and day. It's not fun to play against and it's really unsatisfying (and bad meter management) to just blow up their mashed wakeup jabs and crappy reversals with EX Messiah.

I just don't see how you're supposed to play the character reliably in that kind of environment. I can beat good players, but the consistency just isn't there and I am totally stumped how to approach the environment with Rufus. Shit is frustrating.

So I've been hitting training mode with Blanka, and testing stuff on the new characters, and man is Elena's hurtbox weird. With the increased pushback on crouching mk, now crossup mk, c. mk, s.lp, s.lp, h. ball only works on characters with a big hurtbox, and Elena for some reason. In fact, every combo, even character specific combo's I've tried work on her. Also, since we have some Elena players here, I'll warn you now before other Blanka's find out, even though you probably wont see it, but after a throw, Blanka has an ambiguous as fuck setup where j. hk can cross her up.

Also I found a setup for a mixup U1 after red focus. If you do j. hk, c.mk, s.lp, m. ball, RFC, and then land the mixup U1, you can do up to 816 damage :O

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

I think the reason that he's probably in the top five for rarest online characters is pretty clear. Amazing offline character, but online? Profound sadness.

Here's why:

Rufus is a rushdown character who is unsafe sometimes, has relatively hard BNBs and a very good EX reversal. He has to be able to put you in a blockstring, play smart footsies and deal with certain difficult matchups (grapplers, Sagat).

Online play is riddled with people who start mashing and guessing as soon as they get put under any kind of pressure. This isn't raging, this is what I've seen over and over again in both this version and 2012. There only thing I can read is that they will do *something* at any given point, but beyond that it's like a massive cloud of WTF.

The difference between offline - where I get rewarded with pressure for good reads, can actually play a bait game, can go for tricky crossup setups and other difficult stuff - and online - where people will do ANYTHING to get out of pressure or any situation they are not totally comfortable with and blockstrings are blown up by lag - is night and day. It's not fun to play against and it's really unsatisfying (and bad meter management) to just blow up their mashed wakeup jabs and crappy reversals with EX Messiah.

I just don't see how you're supposed to play the character reliably in that kind of environment. I can beat good players, but the consistency just isn't there and I am totally stumped how to approach the environment with Rufus. Shit is frustrating.

BnB is 1 frame link. Blockstring after a divekick unless you hit on the foot of your opponent will leave you at a frame disadvantage, bet your ass they gonna mash on wake up if the have a good reversal, and if you don't have meter you are good as free on wake up.
In general I will say that rufus has advantage over any character with no reliable reversal like rose, sim, etc; the rest of the match ups are 50/50 except for the bad ones like gief, sagat, etc.

Mœbius

So, played as Rufus online last night...
You should hit up that demon Ryu player from Sweden; I hear he's a good training partner to have to mimic the online environment tactics you're talking about.

alstein

You change your style and wait for them to do something on wakeup then punish it.

Here's why:

Aren't you the same Rufus as in this video though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfEVcZ3anG0

Morris

Disco Devil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftearndPwoU&t=2m54s

Thanks for the combo practice Floyd. I'll make sure not to drop it next time :p

Yooo I got blownup on youtube AGAIN???

First time here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bn3vJldZeo from my most likely hour 1 Poison, I didn't know wtf to do...

It's like people only like posting vids of me getting exposed clean but nobody posts vids of my 20 game winstreaks :c

We need to get a long set going Rice. You did improve a lot, man.

Crisium

Poison has 1000 health? Well played, Capcom... well played...

And her throws do 140 and 150 damage. More than both boxers, more than Sagat. That's as much as Honda, aka she is tied for second best regular throw damage (first is the 360 grapplers). Don't underestimate sublte advantages like these. Simply having 50 hp and 10-20 throw damage over the rest of the cast will win Poison some close fights.

Privilege.

ZServ

we have any idea when we get the new trials yet? I wanna do Yun trials when I get my copy. Also, is s.lp-> s.lk->s.mp->medium lunge still doable?

Connex

Neo Member
/rolleyes

people still believe this garbage...

What? That Poison is a newhalf? Doesn't really matter, but Capcom continuously throws hints at us. Remember Kuma's win quote against Poison? lol

BC6aT.jpg

levyjl1988

Banned
If it's the complete edition, then why is there more DLC coming out for it? Preorder bonus DLC, etc? I thought everything was on the disc? You think Capcom is going to milk this further with more costumes down the road?

Spacebar

I thought buying Ultra unlocked all the previous costume DLC? I never bought the DLC on ps3 in the past, but I still don't have the costumes with ultra.

Top Bottom