• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Two comments making Ghandi jokes...

Anyway, I know I'm just getting angry over nothing - online play isn't serious due to the latency. But it is daft that things people do online do not match up with how the game is played offline. People just play stupidly, but you can tell who the actually good players are by how they approach situations and how polished their gameplay is.

El Sloth

Banned
I've seen a lot of people mention Elena hurtbox weirdness, but no one mention Hugo's weird hurtbox shenanigans that can bail him out sometimes. Lots of people missing DP FADC Ultra against him because the timing is different for him. And I've seen people miss a simple lvl3 Focus after dizzying him at least twice. Right in his face and everything. It just whiffs. Stuff that would work against other characters. Gonna test if that's consistent across the cast with the farther reaching Focus attacks later this week.

Two comments making Ghandi jokes...
All these call outs. Time for streamed FT10s with avatars on the line!

I'm trying to play Hugo but I'm having a hard time linking claps so it feels like this dream is just about dead.

The overlapping inputs don't help anything either

The timing is a bit odd at first but once you figure it out it's actually very easy to go from hp, mp, lp without much effort. I usually put in the next input right after the first clap lands as Hugo is starting to bring his hands back good visual cue for me personally.

Item Box

just hit B rank and im already back down to 4800 BP, lol.

think im gonna take a break from ranked for while until more people rank up. feels bad to win like 5 matches and only gain 1 BP from each then lose 2 and there goes all your points

the guys with 6000+ already are too good

Hehe, it was too hard to resist. :p Don't take it seriously; we all get blown up by scrubs - offline and online - once in a while... nature of the game.

Don't worry about it. :p

Going to just try and play basic online tonight and see how people actually play when they're in stupid mode. This would be much easier if I just played Cammy or Akuma or someone with easy vortex. :|

GrayFoxPL

Started playing Ken since almost everyone avoids him.

His rising hurricane is hilarious. Comedy gold. XD

I didn't play Ken since Alpha 3 and kept doing qcb+p to roll.

Damn Capcom give (back) Ken some moves :p.

El Sloth

Banned
Man, missed out on the Team Battles :( sounded like fun. Will try to play some tonight
Elimination is pretty interesting because it's only 1 round and the health carries over to the next match if you win. It changes the way you play with some characters. Other characters also have a strong advantage it being only a single round. The order of your team becomes pretty important.

I just wish the meter would carry over too.

Geniuzz

I am wondering, will they patch in the new trials they were going to add or is that only in the retail package like the alt costumes?

Elimination is pretty interesting because it's only 1 round and the health carries over to the next match if you win. It changes the way you play with some characters. Other characters also have a strong advantage it being only a single round. The order of your team becomes pretty important.

Yeah man, that mini tourney was fun as hell. Shouts to team Hold Dat for resetting the brackets. We should have switched the order up haha

Gonna do it again this coming Sunday. Try to make it a regular thing. We'll try the other team battle mode though. Switch it up and see how people like it in comparison to the other one. I have a feeling it'll probably take longer.

Sweet. I will be there.

El Sloth

Banned
Yeah man, that mini tourney was fun as hell. Shouts to team Hold Dat for resetting the brackets. We should have switched the order up haha
Gonna do it again this coming Sunday. Try to make it a regular thing. We'll try the other team battle mode though. Switch it up and see how people like it in comparison to the other one. I have a feeling it'll probably take longer.

What?! no....
I thought me going out would be to build meter.

I've seen a lot of people mention Elena hurtbox weirdness, but no one mention Hugo's weird hurtbox shenanigans that can bail him out sometimes. Lots of people missing DP FADC Ultra against him because the timing is different for him. And I've seen people miss a simple lvl3 Focus after dizzying him at least twice. Right in his face and everything. It just whiffs. Stuff that would work against other characters. Gonna test if that's consistent across the cast with the farther reaching Focus attacks later this week.

All these call outs. Time for streamed FT10s with avatars on the line!
I haven't noticed anything weird about his hitbox other than when he's dizzy. I did figure out that you need to wait a moment for his animation to finish and then try to focus, otherwise you'll miss.
Other than that, I haven't come across anything too bizarre.
The timing is a bit odd at first but once you figure it out it's actually very easy to go from hp, mp, lp without much effort. I usually put in the next input right after the first clap lands as Hugo is starting to bring his hands back good visual cue for me personally.
Yeah I need to get some visual cues or audio cues

Kieli

The combo system in this game is so unforgiving with respect to timing. I'm used to dial-a-combo systems such as MK, P4A, and Skullgirls where you can hit the buttons in sequence and they'll sequence smoothly.

Here, I'm having insane difficulty just trying to get a 3-hit combo. I can get a 2-hit light jab, but the third hit doesn't come out or comes out too late.

I guess it comes down to 1-link muscle memory, huh?

Onemic

doesnt it leave like a 3 frame gap inbetween button presses though? I understand its use for special/super/ultra cancels, but not for links.

The Crow King

Neo Member
The combo system in this game is so unforgiving with respect to timing. I'm used to dial-a-combo systems such as MK, P4A, and Skullgirls where you can hit the buttons in sequence and they'll sequence smoothly.

Here, I'm having insane difficulty just trying to get a 3-hit combo. I can get a 2-hit light jab, but the third hit doesn't come out or comes out too late.

Well for the links you have to wait for your previous normal to complete it's recovery frames before the next move will come out.

It's different for every attack. Between the varying amount of start up, recovery, and frame advantage on hit, the timing will be different for each link. Some are really quick, and some of them you have to wait a while, like Vega's st. HP into cr. mp.

Not all of them are 1 frame. A lot are 2, some are 3+. In the SF4 you can abuse the game engine by plinking to give yourself essentially a free back to back 1frame press of the button to give yourself 1 extra frame to hit the link.

With plinking you can cover two frames with button presses, which doubles your chances that you hit the frame where you needed the button press.

The best thing to note while practicing links, is that if your normal didn't come out, then you pressed the button too soon. If your normal does come out but is blocked, you were too late.

Use a characters with target combos aka dial-a-combo. Dudley, Ibuki, Guy, Gen are the ones that I can name off the top of my head.

Onemic

Anyone getting an issue with PSN where you constantly get disconnected from a game, with the reason being that you signed out of PSN even though you are still signed in? This happens all the time for me and I've lost over 1000pp due to this dumb shit.

Every 4 or so games it happens. It's much more common in ranked than in endless, but still pops in when Im doing endless sets from time to time.

Imm0rt4l

Anyone getting an issue with PSN where you constantly get disconnected from a game, with the reason being that you signed out of PSN even though you are still signed in? This happens all the time for me and I've lost over 1000pp due to this dumb shit.

Every 4 or so games it happens. It's much more common in ranked than in endless, but still pops in when Im doing endless sets from time to time.
Yeah happens to me at the vs screen. It was that way in AE for me too though.

Hugo's ex Lariat scares the hell outta me

I'm just trynna heal yo

I hope they never fix Elena's hurt box

We're playing a Beta, just like how the Japanese got to play the first one tbh

Top Bottom