• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Every time I get to 3k+ I feel like a fraud because I climb my way up beating lesser opponents and when I finally run into guys around the same PP as me they always seem to be better all around. Better fundamentals, reactions, execution, etc.

Not everybody around that range has ascended to another level but that 3,000-3500 range seems to be an area where better players get beat down back to the lower numbers while lesser players like me climb up to only run into those guys and be put in our place again.

Onemic

Every time I get to 3k+ I feel like a fraud because I climb my way up beating lesser opponents and when I finally run into guys around the same PP as me they always seem to be better all around. Better fundamentals, reactions, execution, etc.

Not everybody around that range has ascended to another level but that 3,000-35000 range seems to be an area where better players get beat down back to the lower numbers while lesser players like me climb up to only run into those guys and be put in our place again.

You're already at 3kpp? shit man.

Not in ultra, I think I'm at 2200 on PS3 right now. I'm talking about AE and AE 2012. I reach 3k, get beat back down to 2-something, get back over 3k and repeat the process over and over.
Sounds like me.

Though I haven't found the motivation to play ranked in Ultra yet. I only played once for the new achievement.

Sounds like me.

Though I haven't found the motivation to play ranked in Ultra yet. I only played once for the new achievement.

I'll be brutally honest, my intention was to play online on 360 most of the time and only use PS3 to play GAF'ers. But I decided to play ranked on PS3 a while back. The comp is awful and I keep winning and winning. And I find myself climbing the ranks quickly so I want to keep playing on PS3 because it makes me feel better about myself lol.

I'll be brutally honest, my intention was to play online on 360 most of the time and only use PS3 to play GAF'ers. But I decided to play ranked on PS3 a while back. The comp is awful and I keep winning and winning. And I find myself climbing the ranks quickly so I want to keep playing on PS3 because it makes me feel better about myself lol.
Hahaha.

I want to play ranked because I actually play harder, but I just don't like the setup. I wish it was 2/3 and then I'd be all over it. I hate this one and done shit

Kaleinc

Banned
It's funny how players on your level have low tolerance for taking L's. Whereas some scrub can come and get bodied 15 straight and have little issues with losing.
The issue is not losing per se but the fact the scrub sends you hatemail, declines a rematch cause he knows same shit won't work again.
Basically this
Turns out he was mashing DP on wake up, it just didn't come out. If it had, i would have been dead and extremely salty because I know that bitch wouldn't have come back to my room lol.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That shit is infuriating.

It is hilarious when it's Dhalsim though and they think they're gonna hit me once and run away and then I tag them a few times and let them try to chase me.

Hah, got sick of runaway boosters in vanilla, so have kept my settings at best of 3 and 90secs since.

The lobby quitter trends are kind of interesting. Hard to read.
Sometimes I'll have someone join my Endless lobby, destroy my week 1 Hugo with his Yun, then leave... not sure what to make of that, but I'll keep trying, thanks.

More often than not, though, I'll get someone who sticks around for at least 10 matches straight, sometimes showing me their proficiency with the entire cast, other times sparring with their pick from the new members. Either way, it's good practice (especially the latter, as you learn the match-up fairly quickly) and good fun. I usually get bodied at first, then slowly pick my way through their defenses and end up winning comfortably.

But... and this is weird... what's good etiquette for when you've had enough Endless? Just a simple "ggs" message? I always think they're going to read into when I leave - win or lose - and create a bad impression.

The match lasted over a minute. Probably more like 8-2 instead.

Has the practice against my Yun helped at all? I'll admit when I play Yun I don't think I have an actual strategy. I just want to get close and go nuts.

sort of. im not blocking the cross up kicks and the jab jab mixup is zz. ill work on it. it's bad but i can fux with it :D

mbpm1

But... and this is weird... what's good etiquette for when you've had enough Endless? Just a simple "ggs" message? I always think they're going to read into when I leave - win or lose - and create a bad impression.

I usually end up letting people win before a gg. I probably don't need to but it feels nice to me. It's not like I sandbag, more like I try something risky without care and if it work it works.

Just announce a few games before, " I got 3 more then I gtg."

Hah, got sick of runaway boosters in vanilla, so have kept my settings at best of 3 and 90secs since.

The lobby quitter trends are kind of interesting. Hard to read.
Sometimes I'll have someone join my Endless lobby, destroy my week 1 Hugo with his Yun, then leave... not sure what to make of that, but I'll keep trying, thanks.

More often than not, though, I'll get someone who sticks around for at least 10 matches straight, sometimes showing me their proficiency with the entire cast, other times sparring with their pick from the new members. Either way, it's good practice (especially the latter, as you learn the match-up fairly quickly) and good fun. I usually get bodied at first, then slowly pick my way through their defenses and end up winning comfortably.

Yeah I usually just leave and say ggs. I usually try not to leave if I got a perfect on someone though, even if I was already gonna bounce. I'll give them another shot cause I know no one wants to go out like that. I definitely know what you mean though. Marvel always made it easy since it displayed the record for both players to see after every match, so I just left on an increment of 5.

I've also remembered how much I can't stand sf4 players because of what you mentioned about them leaving after winning once or other dumb shit.
I hate when I'm using a character that I'm obviously not too experienced with but I squeak out a few wins and then they pick the same character and beat me and then leave.

Threi

notag
So if i make a video of chars deejay's far strong combo buff doesn't work on (its about 1/3 of the cast) capcom will do something?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

lol :p

There's a guy I play locally who started to use Makoto a lot more because he can't beat me more than 40% with his other main. He's not bad, but he doesn't do the things you do to make it a nightmare for Sim. I tell him to do those things, but he still doesn't do them. Oh well.

jlai

I don't like this.

lol :p

There's a guy I play locally who started to use Makoto a lot more because he can't beat me more than 40% with his other main. He's not bad, but he doesn't do the things you do to make it a nightmare for Sim. I tell him to do those things, but he still doesn't do them. Oh well.

Sorry, Sim bros :(

I hope that guy is buffering EX Hayate behind every normal even at full screen! At match start S.MP xx MP hayate beats like almost every poking normal except c.lp (which mak's sweep will beat). That's always a great start to the match. And then at round 2 if they sit there you can go ham and dash right in and karakusa or if they jump back you can dash dash HP fukiage

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sorry, Sim bros :(

I hope that guy is buffering EX Hayate behind every normal even at full screen! At match start S.MP xx MP hayate beats like almost every poking normal except c.lp, and sweep beats that. That's always a great start to the match.

Yeah I told him to counter poke anytime and OS but he still doesn't do it. And he's too much in love with Ultra 1 to switch it. /shrug

Top Bottom