• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Marz

I think Sagat is the worst shoto now. You can't even really play him how he was designed.

I think Evil Ryu is the best. All the solid shoto qualities plus explosive damage and an actual mixup game.

I think people are sleeping on Oni too, he has some ridiculous buttons.

Onemic

I think Sagat is the worst shoto now. You can't even really play him how he was designed.

I think Evil Ryu is the best. All the solid shoto qualities plus explosive damage and an actual mixup game.

I think people are sleeping on Oni too, he has some ridiculous buttons.

naw, Oni's shit in Ultra. and his buttons suck too.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Can someone comment on what it means when people are talking about the "PSN lag"?

Is it increased input delay in Ultra, worse netcode, what?

kirblar

Can someone comment on what it means when people are talking about the "PSN lag"?

Is it increased input delay in Ultra, worse netcode, what?
Input lag is worse on PS3 version, PS3 WiFi is garbage, causes connection issues, just a way worse setup than PC/360.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Input lag is worse on PS3 version, PS3 WiFi is garbage, causes connection issues, just a way worse setup than PC/360.

But like, is it worse than it was in Super AE?

From what I've been reading that seems to be the case, unless I've been reading wrong?

With modern wifi? It's perfectly fine. The problem is that the PS3-era tech is a decade+ old.

The netcode definitely took a hit across all 3 versions though, for sure.
I just wonder wtf they did across all versions, and crossing my fingers they f'd up stuff so they could implement rollback netcode with console release...

Onemic

Nah oni has good buttons. Cant speak on his ranking.

c.mk, st. hk, fwd hk, and s.mp are shit
fwd. mk is decent now due to the buff
fwd. hp seems good at face value due to the range and dmg, but is easily punishable if read(either by focus, a full jump in, or even super/ultra)
c.hk is now decent due to the buff
st.hp is a decent AA
back mp is good
st.lk and fwd.lk are good and his best buttons

his two best buttons are st.lk and fwd lk. The rest range from decent to terrible. He has a lot of different buttons, but not a lot of good buttons. And even though some of his buttons(mainly c.hk and to some extent fwd mk) got buffed and are now decent, Capcom took the deejay way of giving him a few needed buffs and in order to 'compensate' gave him nerfs out of the ass. I think it's especially telling when Wao of all people is now dropping him because even he thinks he's shit now.

GrayFoxPL

Can't seriously play online fighters on wifi, not on PS3 at least. I'm always wired and Ultra runs solid for me. Better then earlier versions on good connection.

mbpm1

I feared this was the case.

Tbh, you had a rough time playing him the way he was supposed to be designed in AE too. When people win majors by playing against the character design, something's up.

Elena, help.
I am getting by with poking with the middle buttons: mP, Focus, f+mK, c.mP, J. mK.
cr. Jab seems really good but don't know what to do beside tick grab or push them into the EX overhead special.
any easy hit confirm combo? I like how i can use that EX breakdancing move into ultra.

Onemic

Elena, help.
I am getting by with poking with the middle buttons: mP, Focus, f+mK, c.mP, J. mK.
cr. Jab seems really good but don't know what to do beside tick grab or push them into the EX overhead special.
any easy hit confirm combo? I like how i can use that EX breakdancing move into ultra.

her BnB is

c.lp/c.lk, c.lp, c.mp xx mk ss

all her confirms come off of c.lp/c.lk, c.lp, c.mp or just c.lp, c.mp

And as you know, since you play elena, she has no easy hit confirms lol.

EDIT: you can also hit confirm off of st.hk

her BnB is

c.lp/c.lk, c.lp, c.mp xx mk ss

all her confirms come off of c.lp/c.lk, c.lp, c.mp or just c.lp, c.mp

And as you know, since you play elena, she has no easy hit confirms lol.

No kidding, I can get cr. lp, cr. lp, cr, mp, mkSS but I get it either not comboed or focusattack or overhead. I must look like I am playing the poke/footies/high low game or a legit idiot. Its actually worse if I get uncomboed SS out.

Onemic

No kidding, I can get cr. lp, cr. lp, cr, mp, mkSS but I get it either not comboed or focusattack or overhead. I must look like I am playing the poke/footies/high low game or a legit idiot. Its actually worse if I get uncomboed SS out.

none of her moves(normals or specials) are positive on block save for c.lp and they tend to be negative by a lot as well. Her spacials will randomly whiff(especially LT) depending on your spacing so you have to be very careful about her spacing or else you'll be punished even if you make a correct read lol.

Also her BnB will straight whiff no matter the range on Yang, Chun, Gen, herself, and cammy if they're crouching so you have to replace mk SS with hk SW. And if you whiff that(because if you're not at point blank range when doing it while they're crouching it will whiff) you eat a potential ultra.

Best way to play her is abuse EX mallet, slide at appropriate times, and poke/counter poke. Her frame trap game is near non existent and her mixup game up close is extremely weak if the other player knows how Elena works.

Imm0rt4l

c.mk, st. hk, fwd hk, and s.mp are shit
fwd. mk is decent now due to the buff
fwd. hp seems good at face value due to the range and dmg, but is easily punishable if read(either by focus, a full jump in, or even super/ultra)
c.hk is now decent due to the buff
st.hp is a decent AA
back mp is good
st.lk and fwd.lk are good and his best buttons

his two best buttons are st.lk and fwd lk. The rest range from decent to terrible. He has a lot of different buttons, but not a lot of good buttons. And even though some of his buttons(mainly c.hk and to some extent fwd mk) got buffed and are now decent, Capcom took the deejay way of giving him a few needed buffs and in order to 'compensate' gave him nerfs out of the ass. I think it's especially telling when Wao of all people is now dropping him because even he thinks he's shit now.
Challenge accepted

#lowtierhero

none of her moves(normals or specials) are positive on block save for c.lp and they tend to be negative by a lot as well. Her spacials will randomly whiff(especially LT) depending on your spacing so you have to be very careful about her spacing or else you'll be punished even if you make a correct read lol.

Also her BnB will straight whiff no matter the range on Yang, Chun, Gen, herself, and cammy if they're crouching so you have to replace mk SS with hk SW. And if you whiff that(because if you're not at point blank range when doing it while they're crouching it will whiff) you eat a potential ultra.

Best way to play her is abuse EX mallet, slide at appropriate times, and poke/counter poke. Her frame trap game is near non existent and her mixup game up close is extremely weak if the other player knows how Elena works.

Here i was hoping with walk speed, pokes, the slide, that spin kick (is that safe on block?) and floaty jump, she was a bison with overheads. I guess my bnb will be cr.lp, cr.lp, cr,mp lol.

Onemic

Here i was hoping with walk speed, pokes, the slide, that spin kick (is that safe on block?) and floaty jump, she was a bison with overheads. I guess my bnb will be cr.lp, cr.lp, cr,mp lol.

her SS is only safe on block against characters with slow reversals with poor horizontal range or characters with 8 frame sweeps or slower. It's a free punish to almost all shotos, either with sweep(Ryu/Gouken) or reversal(Ken). Many people havent realized this yet so you can get away with tacking it on after a block string for some extra chip and a shitty little frame trap.

Oh, and Bison eats her for lunch. :)

In fact the main way to beat Elena is to not commit to playing footsies her.(which is pretty easy to do) Or use a character that has better footsies than her.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Someone like Sako would be able to make full use of Elena and for the majority of players, she's too execution heavy even for the very best of players.

brdrN0h.png

Tesseract

Banned
With modern wifi? It's perfectly fine. The problem is that the PS3-era tech is a decade+ old.

The netcode definitely took a hit across all 3 versions though, for sure.

netcode has been better than ever on 360 with about 500 games played. anecdotal evidence y'all.

steamworks ae needs some work, but it's getting there. i wrote off ps3 sf4 long ago, fucking gutter trash connections ruined it.

Onemic

Someone like Sako would be able to make full use of Elena and for the majority of players, she's too execution heavy even for the very best of players.

yup, watching Jwong miss his links with her constantly online makes me sad. Maybe im wrong, but I think shes the most execution heavy character in the game in terms of links.

xCobalt

It really sucks not having an offensive reversal with Rolento. You don't even need to do safe jumps because he can't even punish you.

Top Bottom