• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

thelastword

Banned
Can someone comment on what it means when people are talking about the "PSN lag"?

Is it increased input delay in Ultra, worse netcode, what?
Right now, the netcode on USF4 is not ideal, it's fine in some matches and atrocious in others. The biggest difference between the xbox and ps3 versions of prior Sf4's was the 1frame of input lag in certain scenarios.

I'm playing the 360 version of USF4, you will have a solid enough match with someone in one instance, challenge them again and it can become riddled with lag and "waiting for player" prompts, it's as if they're trying to compensate for laggy connections, but instead they've made it worse by delaying inputs and freezing play.

Tik-Tok

Right now, the netcode on USF4 is not ideal, it's fine in some matches and atrocious in others. The biggest difference between the xbox and ps3 versions of prior Sf4's was the 1frame of input lag in certain scenarios.

I'm playing the 360 version of USF4, you will have a solid enough match with someone in one instance, challenge them again and it can become riddled with lag and "waiting for player" prompts, it's as if they're trying to compensate for laggy connections, but instead they've made it worse by delaying inputs and freezing play.

The PSN service is also just not nearly as good as Xbox live, at least for this generation of consoles.

xCobalt

Good

yes I'm still bitter about the prerelease version of him

Even in his current version, people get salty about his gimmicks because they block incorrectly or simply don't know the matchup. I think Capcom went a little overboard with the nerfs because players didn't have a chance to adapt to Rolento. Once people start blocking/reacting to Air Raid or stuffing him out of the pogo mixups, it's so hard to get damage.

I've been watching Nemo in training mode and he definitely has some interesting tech. They're still kinda gimmicky but will definitely be useful if the opponent isn't expecting it.

thelastword

Banned
The PSN service is also just not nearly as good as Xbox live, at least for this generation of consoles.
Well, it's a P2P service across the board, so lag would be dependant mostly on the host and in other scenarios (how shitty the hostee's connection will drag down bi-directional communication/data-flow).

In that instance I'll have to chalk it up to the 1 frame of input lag being worse for the PS3 (which has nothing to do with the online service in itself) only that it heaps on top of the normal lag of p2p online play.

Many fighters have played exceptionally well over the PSN service in my memory; Blaze Blue, Tag2 and SC5, so it really has nothing to do with the service. As for whether Capcom has remedied the input lag issue on the PS3 version of SF4, I've seen no reports to confirm either.

El Sloth

Banned
Was playing Sloth, just finished.

With that said GG's Sloth.
GGs, sorry for subjecting to you to my butt Hugo. But I love his doofy self.

I weirdly keep getting his SPD when trying to do his claps. I must be going too far up when doing the motion or something. Also, I always do half circles for quarter circle motions, so that's probably part of it. And I get his anti-air grab when trying to do his running grab. Gotta practice some more!

GGs, sorry for subjecting to you to my butt Hugo. But I love his doofy self.

I weirdly keep getting his SPD when trying to do his claps. I must be going too far up when doing the motion or something. Also, I always do half circles for quarter circle motions, so that's probably part of it. And I get his anti-air grab when trying to do his running grab. Gotta practice some more!

butt.

and tik tok, we pc players are just waiting for the real game to come out in august :{{{

onionfrog

Good Games Karst! I was a ton of fun, I'd play more but I gotta get some sleep.

I find it funny that we're both playing two of the most arguably marvel-like characters in the game!

I hate charge motions, but Decapre is so fun!
I kept getting the wrong version of her Ultra half the damn time! :(

Those chip deaths from Oni's air fireball ultra had me so salty!

MIMIC

Banned
So I'm just catching up to the hoopla of Fuerte winning....whatever tournament that was. lol. That Balrog that was in the grand finals...Poem. I have a video of me perfecting him.

¡VIVA MEXICO!

kirblar

Have now been "disconnected from PSN" despite not disconnecting at all 3 times tonight.

This is not fun. Especially when you're about to beat the 15th ranked cody because he can't deal with Fuerte wakeup BS.

Onemic

Have now been "disconnected from PSN" despite not disconnecting at all 3 times tonight.

This is not fun. Especially when you're about to beat the 15th ranked cody because he can't deal with Fuerte wakeup BS.

It's happening to me again today....It didn't happen at all yesterday so I was hoping it was a done deal but nope. Guess I should stay away from ranked unless I want to lose another 1000pp.

Marz

Yep. I'm going to start keeping track of my lost PP/BP due to this and tweet it to Combofiend

Good Games Karst! I was a ton of fun, I'd play more but I gotta get some sleep.

I find it funny that we're both playing two of the most arguably marvel-like characters in the game!

I hate charge motions, but Decapre is so fun!
I kept getting the wrong version of her Ultra half the damn time! :(

Those chip deaths from Oni's air fireball ultra had me so salty!
I posted about our matches in FGW.

Yeah, that Ultra has crazy damage. I have gotten better at using our outside of combos. I really prefer it over his other one just because it is so versatile.

What are her Ultra inputs?

Me and my friend were trading off playing online today and being able to map the buttons in character select is a godsend. Now we don't have to back all the way out when we want to switch who's playing.

I played the number 2 ranked Decapre on PSN just a moment ago. We played a lot, my Yun got destroyed something like 0-3 I think. My Evil Ryu on the other hand fared much better. I think I still lost something like 10-5 though. But I lost so many matches because I couldn't her cross up ground pound. Oni's cross up slash and Vega's cross up wall dive gets me all the time. And now the same goes for Decapre's cross up ground pound.

He must have did it against me like 30 times and I failed to block it every single time. Everytime I thought I blocked it I still got hit. Maybe I was just a few frames too late? I think I blocked it standing every time. Is it a move you can't block standing? That would explain how I still kept getting hit with it in later matches. Good thing for me, Evil Ryu also has some gimmicks that I hit him with over and over.

Any of you guys play Decapre? I probably need to get in more games against her. I don't know if you guys abuse the cross up ground pound, but I could use some practice trying to react to it in real matches. It's always been a weakness of mine.

I played the number 2 ranked Decapre on PSN just a moment ago. We played a lot, my Yun got destroyed something like 0-3 I think. My Evil Ryu on the other hand fared much better. I think I still lost something like 10-5 though. But I lost so many matches because I couldn't her cross up ground pound. Oni's cross up slash and Vega's cross up wall dive gets me all the time. And now the same goes for Decapre's cross up ground pound.

He must have did it against me like 30 times and I failed to block it every single time. Everytime I thought I blocked it I still got hit. Maybe I was just a few frames too late? I think I blocked it standing every time. Is it a move you can't block standing? That would explain how I still kept getting hit with it in later matches. Good thing for me, Evil Ryu also has some gimmicks that I hit him with over and over.

Any of you guys play Decapre? I probably need to get in more games against her. I don't know if you guys abuse the cross up ground pound, but I could use some practice trying to react to it in real matches. It's always been a weakness of mine.

Playing online does this tbh. Online whenever I see a Hozanshu from Chun, I immediately hold back.. only to get hit like I was crouching anyway. Offline I block them a lot better though. You should go into training mode and practice blocking it.

Tesseract

Banned

are you ec or wc? ecoast matches have been perfect here across the board, no player waiting prompts, noticeable delay, or freezing.

hypernima

Banned
PSN is kicking my ass this morning. I just went from 1200 pp to 400.
I dunno why I still lose to the most simplest stuff in the game.

thelastword

Banned
are you ec or wc? ecoast matches have been perfect here across the board, no player waiting prompts, noticeable delay, or freezing.
Well, I guess you can call me east coast, but I'm actually from the Caribbean. Thing is I've been playing people all over, even from Japan, I expect some lag from these countries but I usually get the most lag from US flag players and Brazil flags. My opponents are mostly US flags though, so I guess I'd just get more laggy matchups based on the higher number of games.

When it's solid it's solid though, just seems that the netcode is worse in some aspects.
Another bummer is scrolling through online replays, it's a lagfest to scroll down and view recent replays

hypermina said:
PSN is kicking my ass this morning. I just went from 1200 pp to 400.
I dunno why I still lose to the most simplest stuff in the game.
Wish I could test USF4 on PSN, I preordered on PSN, too bad they didn't announce a price drop for the PS3 as I anticipated, bummer....

Some days are like that though, I went from 1900+ to 1200 or about last night, but I was so impatient for some reason, almost took out NYC Poem's decapre but got too greedy in the end, story of the tale on last night's bouts.

Cross up ground pound is purely an online gimmick, and wouldn't really work offline because it (even ex) is very unsafe on block and is a very yolo tactic. If you block it, watch out for ex stinger, that's a very popular approach with her online after unsafe moves like hands. I could probably play you again (I think I've leveled up a bit since you played my day 2 decapre), but I don't like using scramble (teleport) gimmicks. if I tried to abuse crossup ground pound, I would be enforcing bad habits myself. I actually like using fake ground pound more than ground pound itself.

I still get hit by Onis slash online too, but whatever, it's online.

Cross up ground pound is purely an online gimmick, and wouldn't really work offline because it (even ex) is very unsafe on block and is a very yolo tactic. If you block it, watch out for ex stinger, that's a very popular approach with her online after unsafe moves like hands. I could probably play you again (I think I've leveled up a bit since you played my day 2 decapre), but I don't like using scramble (teleport) gimmicks. if I tried to abuse crossup ground pound, I would be enforcing bad habits myself. I actually like using fake ground pound more than ground pound itself.

I still get hit by Onis slash online too, but whatever, it's online.

The thing is I think I'm the problem when it comes to these cross up moves. Their were some guys I use to play with that use Vega and Oni and I almost always got hit by their cross up moves. I only blocked it when I guessed the moves were coming. I figure I'm better than that now, but nope, I'm not and I still get hit by it all the time. As for that Decapre player, I can't blame him for spamming it against me. He knew I couldn't react to it so if it keeps working, why stop. Sure the matches were laggy, but that doesn't mean I should fail to block it 0 times out of 20+ tries.

When it comes to practicing to block that move, I need to do that in real matches. I can go in the training room all day and see it coming a mile away because I know I set the training dummy to do it at a certain time. I really need to get over this hurdle, I don't want to lose to people for reasons like this.

alstein

Is something bugged with the input for Hugo's Meat Squisher? I can do other 360 moves just fine, but that one gives me problems.

Top Bottom