• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN and NATO to Gaddafi: Operation Odyssey Dawn |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd defection in Libya:

7:17pm
A senior Libyan diplomat has announced his resignation and fled to Egypt, becoming the second high-profile reported defection from Gaddafi's government in as many days.

Ali Abdessalam Treki, who was recently named as Libya's envoy to the UN, said in a statement posted on several opposition websites that he is not going to accept that job or any other.

We should not let our country fall into an unknown fate. It is our nation's right to live in freedom, democracy and a good life.

RustyNails said:
2nd defection in Libya:
More senior Libyans to defect within days

I'm not sure how much this matters, though. Yes, the regime is finally falling apart, but the loyalists in the population support Daffy himself, not his band of merry men. Ultimately either he has to give up, or his followers do.

You could take it as a sign that things are much worse in Tripoli than we've been led to believe by the regime's spokesmen. But I'm not sure.

HawksEye

Found a video of a rebel tortured and then executed for refusing to hail Gaddafi and instead saying Allah Akbar "God is Greater", very graphic video since they shot their prisoners in the foot (Many people from Misrata reported this method)

Graphic Video of Rebel resisting (Youtube)

This remind me of Bellal, the companion of prophet Mohammed pbuh when he was being tortured for being a muslim and all he said is Ahad "The only one" meaning only one god.

Magni

HawksEye said:
Found a video of a rebel tortured and then executed for refusing to hail Gaddafi and instead saying Allah Akbar "God is Greater", very graphic video since they shot their prisoners in the foot (Many people from Misrata reported this method)

This remind me of Bellal, the companion of prophet Mohammed pbuh when he was being tortured for being a muslim and all he said is Ahad "The only one" meaning only one god.

That was pretty disturbing.. how does shit like this get online by the way? Why would Gaddhafi's guys be uploading stuff on youtube?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
MagniHarvald said:
That was pretty disturbing.. how does shit like this get online by the way? Why would Gaddhafi's guys be uploading stuff on youtube?
To serve as a threat against sympathizers?

HawksEye said:

Murderers. :(

nyong

Banned
I do question that video's authenticity. The camera cuts sharply away at the moment of execution. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to replicate. Also: that the guy was executed for stating that God is great instead of Gaddafi changes the theme from a simple act of brutality to act of brutality by a man opposed to their religion. It makes the rebels cause seem more just, and Gaddafi's unjust to the point of sacrilege.

If fake, that's a super-effective piece of propoganda.

Good news: A super secret mission from Libya to Britain. Gaddafi's son Saif al Islam reportedly sent one of the regime's most trusted envoys to Britain for secret talks. Guardian speculates this could be a sign of regime looking for exit strategy.
Revealed: Gaddafi envoy in Britain for secret talks

Exclusive: Contact with senior aide believed to be one of a number between Libyan officials and west amid signs regime may be looking for exit strategy

Colonel Gaddafi's regime has sent one of its most trusted envoys to London for confidential talks with British officials, the Guardian can reveal.

Mohammed Ismail, a senior aide to Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam, visited London in recent days, British government sources familiar with the meeting have confirmed. The contacts with Ismail are believed to have been one of a number between Libyan officials and the west in the last fortnight, amid signs that the regime may be looking for an exit strategy.

Disclosure of Ismail's visit comes in the immediate aftermath of the defection to Britain of Moussa Koussa, Libya's foreign minister and its former external intelligence head, who has been Britain's main conduit to the Gaddafi regime since the early 1990s.

A team led by the British ambassador to Libya, Richard Northern, and MI6 officers embarked on a lengthy debriefing of Koussa at a safe house after he flew into Farnborough airport on Wednesday night from Tunisia. Government sources said the questioning would take time because Koussa's state of mind was "delicate" after he left his family in Libya.

The Foreign Office has declined "to provide a running commentary" on contacts with Ismail or other regime officials. But news of the meeting comes amid mounting speculation that Gaddafi's sons, foremost among them Saif al-Islam, Saadi and Mutassim, are anxious to talk. "There has been increasing evidence recently that the sons want a way out," said a western diplomatic source.
Lets hope that is the case.

Amir0x

Banned

nyong

Banned
I just hope things don't fall to pieces if Gaddafi bows out. Someone has got to fill the resulting power vacuum, and suffice to say not everyone is going to agree on who that should be. What's going on there is, for all intents and purposes, a civil war. We also need to make sure that these rebels--whoever they turn out to be--don't commit atrocities of their own against Gaddafi supporters.

I have a really hard time picturing this going smoothly.

JayDubya

Banned
Amir0x said:
NOT SO COVERT ANYMORE EH

ALSO, NOT SO SECRET ANYMORE

Yeah, I'm not really getting this either.

If the point was for covert ops to be doing something, shouldn't they be, like, covert.

Are we assuming Gadaffi has no one that can read English and give him a head's up by some means? That's probably not much of a good assumption.

Amir0x

Banned
JayDubya said:
Yeah, I'm not really getting this either.

If the point was for covert ops to be doing something, shouldn't they be, like, covert.

Are we assuming Gadaffi has no one that can read English and give him a head's up by some means? That's probably not much of a good assumption.

I see this thing all the time. It never fails to crack me up. I mean, god, how bad is the modern CIA if they can't keep covert missions covert? Hey Ghadaffi CIA dudes comin' for you, watch out!

nyong

Banned
Amir0x said:
I see this thing all the time. It never fails to crack me up. I mean, god, how bad is the modern CIA if they can't keep covert missions covert? Hey Ghadaffi CIA dudes comin' for you, watch out!
They could be intentional leaks to the media. I mean, anytime the general public is caught off guard with news of CIA agents on the ground anywhere it looks bad. People would imagine all sorts of Western-scheming if they found out from other sources, but the media has clarified that the CIA is simply there to determine who the rebels are. Nothing really controversial there.

Amir0x

Banned
nyong said:
They could be intentional leaks to the media. I mean, anytime the general public is caught off guard with news of CIA agents on the ground anywhere it looks bad. People would imagine all sorts of Western-scheming if they found from other sources, but the media has clarified that the CIA is simply there to determine who the rebels are. Nothing really controversial there.

Right but it's not covert. If you want a mission to be covert and, you know, not risk American lives by telling people a mission is happening covertly, you need to keep it a secret.

Americans are stupid. Some things should be kept a secret, at least for a little while. I'm all for transparency but not when it compromises critical American capabilities on the field.

It's really fucking weak that Gates is saying that the US shouldn't arm the rebels, but our allies should. I mean, what the fuck? Our role, whether we like it or not, is to be the beacon of the free world. How can we do that if we say eh, we won't do it, but you should. Pretty weak.

JayDubya

Banned
Amir0x said:
Right but it's not covert. If you want a mission to be covert and, you know, not risk American lives by telling people a mission is happening covertly, you need to keep it a secret.

Americans are stupid. Some things should be kept a secret, at least for a little while. I'm all for transparency but not when it compromises critical American capabilities on the field.

Well I suppose there's something to be said for this... if the government itself is making statements about covert action, then clearly it wasn't mission critical that the fact that a mission was being undertaken in the first place remain covert.

Amir0x

Banned
JayDubya said:
Well I suppose there's something to be said for this... if the government itself is making statements about covert action, then clearly it wasn't mission critical that the fact that a mission was being undertaken in the first place remain covert.

Right but then it's not a covert mission at all and why are they calling it that? ;)

Anyway I say fuck this Libya shit at this point and get to fucking using those millions to fucking WORK ON OUR INFRASTRUCTURE

our country is crumbling for fucks sake

Amir0x said:
Right but then it's not a covert mission at all and why are they calling it that? ;)

Anyway I say fuck this Libya shit at this point and get to fucking using those millions to fucking WORK ON OUR INFRASTRUCTURE

our country is crumbling for fucks sake

There's a definite spending-happy attitude with our government at the moment. Well, at least in two of the branches. The money is grossly misspent. I mean, the government takes in what? 2.5? 3 trillion each year in revenues (I think these are the numbers, could be mistaken, haven't googled)? If you can't run a functioning government at that amount of revenue, with zero deficit, then you're doing it wrong. And this country has been doing it wrong for many many years.

Edit - I was close for a partial guess. $2.162 trillion in revenues last year. That's more than enough.

And also, how the FUCK can you have a 1.5 trillion deficit on 2.162 trillion revenues? Our spending is almost double our tax receipts! Almost double. Pathetic.

JayDubya

Banned
Amir0x said:

I guess, the uhh, specifics are still secret, I guess? I don't know, it's lame.

Whereas I say fuck the Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya shit and get to fucking not using those billions on anything. So we can PAY OFF THAT RIDICULOUS DEBT. ;P

Amir0x

Banned
JayDubya said:

Whereas I say fuck the Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya shit and get to fucking not using those billions on anything. So we can PAY OFF THAT RIDICULOUS DEBT. ;P

we wastin' the money somewhere, rather it be on us at this point

i'd rather we fly some sorties through the fucking highway and bridge system in this country

maybe give me a million. I'll spend it wisely. I promise Obama personally.

nyong

Banned
Seriously, cut our losses with Afghanistan and Iraq, spread the financial burden of Libya...what's the current tally? +1B? Say it with me: "We're not the world's police anymore, we're not the world's police anymore, we're not...."

I nearly jizzed myself when I first heard that Obama was going to create a New Deal-esque stimulus package: high speed rails, funding for the sciences....general infrastructure. What do we have to show for it now? Vague assurances that our economy was saved from certain destruction? Frankly, I'd much rather they put people on unemployment to work rather than let them sit at home. It's a complete waste of money and manpower.

JayDubya said:

Yeah. And our interest payments are nearly 10% of our revenue. I can't even imagine the destruction if investors see treasuries as bad investments. Our borrowing rates would double overnight, and that 10% would turn into 20% (400 billion, every single year). We'd have to default at that time.

nyong

Banned
Something Wicked said:
Now, I saw some discussion on the previous page of concerns with Islamists. Well, those concerns are a bit more real than the US government has been letting the public know. Maybe not necessarily so much with the Libyan rebels themselves, but Al Qaeda has sizable active cells over the border in southern Algeria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda_Organization_in_the_Islamic_Maghreb
The rebel commander has already admitted that many of the men fighting have ties to al-Qaeda. Which is why I am absolutely--under any circumstance, to include preventing a hypothetical massacre--against arming the rebels. Hell, we admitted we don't even know who they really are, and yet we're backing them?

JayDubya said:

No, its not lame. Telling the media that CIA is going to be in Libya poses as much threat as FDR telling Hitler that the Allies are going to invade Europe. No shit. The when,how, and strength is way more important. This also preempts any Libyan TV showing off dead bodies and saying that they were western operatives.

SolKane

nyong said:
I just hope things don't fall to pieces if Gaddafi bows out. Someone has got to fill the resulting power vacuum, and suffice to say not everyone is going to agree on who that should be. What's going on there is, for all intents and purposes, a civil war. We also need to make sure that these rebels--whoever they turn out to be--don't commit atrocities of their own against Gaddafi supporters.

I have a really hard time picturing this going smoothly.

It's possible that we may be looking at a fracturing of the Libyan nation; that's been posited by several people. The rebels clearly don't know what they're doing, so nation building will be an incredibly difficult task. And then there's the question of what kind of nation will they build, and the West's involvement in such. I hope for their sake whatever comes is willed and beneficial to the people, but I am still cynical as to how this will all play out if/when Gaddafi's gone.

Amir0x said:
ALSO, NOT SO SECRET ANYMORE
Well it was supposed to be secret, until Guardian journalists started snooping around. That's usually how stories break but yeah, if shit's supposed to be secret, only Gaddafi is supposed to know about it. For example, this Ali Treki dude was seen in Tunisia trying to find a way out but lo and behold, Al Jazeera uncovered the "secret" plan of Ali Treki and this is what happened:
When Nazanine Moshiri, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Tunisia, uncovered Ali Treki's visit to Tunis, the Libyan diplomat responded with a burst of rage.

Treki, who was president of the UN General Assembly until September, berated the Al Jazeera team when they filmed him in the lobby of the Regency Hotel in Gammarth, a suburb north of Tunis, on Saturday afternoon.

"You animal, stop shooting," Treki told Samir Gharbiah, Al Jazeera's cameraman, as his security personnel attempted to block Al Jazeera from filming.

Security staff at the hotel, at the request of Treki, tried to destroy Al Jazeera's camera, and to confiscate the footage of Treki. They manhandled Gharbiah and producer Youssef Gaigi, pushing them out into the hotel carpark.
Today, Ali Treki defected.

Gaborn

SolKane said:
It's possible that we may be looking at a fracturing of the Libyan nation; that's been posited by several people. The rebels clearly don't know what they're doing, so nation building will be an incredibly difficult task. And then there's the question of what kind of nation will they build, and the West's involvement in such. I hope for their sake whatever comes is willed and beneficial to the people, but I am still cynical as to how this will all play out if/when Gaddafi's gone.

that's another thing. People are pointing to these defections and they seem to be implying that it means that Gaddafi is going to be gone soon but what if it's the opposite? What if Gaddafi is digging in, the people that defected KNOW that he has no intention of leaving and this lasts and lasts? I can really see this turning into a stalemate that lasts several months if Gaddafi wants to go that route, especially with the US being unwilling (fortunately) to commit ground troops to end the civil war faster.

US President and UK Prime Minister have called the Libyan regime brutal and rotten and articulate the plight of the Libyan people under his dictatorship

UK arms companies visited Tripoli three months ago. At least 50 British firms travelled to Libyan capital to meet senior figures from Gaddafi's military regime

A company that supplies riot control ammunition and a manufacturer of electrified razor wire were among a UK government arms delegation to Tripoli as recently as three months ago.

Amid concern that British equipment may have been used by the Gaddafi regime to suppress unrest in Libya, it has now come to light that representatives of at least 50 UK arms companies accompanied officials to meet military figures in November. They included Birmingham Barbed Tape, which produces razor wire that delivers a "repulse shock", and Lincolnshire-based Primetake, which offers teargas cartridges and rubber bullets.

Reports from Tripoli indicate that security forces have used teargas as well as live ammunition against protesters, though there is no evidence British products have been involved.

The delegation is understood to have been led by Britain's ambassador to Libya, Richard Northern. It attended an arms fair called Libdex at Tripoli's Mitiga military airport, where pro-Gaddafi mercenaries are reported to have landed to help quell the uprising.

The delegation was invited by figures from the Libyan Department of Defence, the Department of Public Security and the general committee of defence, which days ago declared its forces would cleanse Libya of anti-government elements. Essex Industries, a security firm present at the fair, says on its website that its stand was praised by the commander of the Libyan air force.

UK Department for Business, Innovation and Skills documents show that since 2008 licences to Libya have included four for the export of combat shotguns and six for small-arms ammunition, along with separate orders for anti-riot weapons and sniper rifles. Photographs show that British-made high-performance tactical sniper rifles, including the 7.62mm Rangemaster, which has an effective range of 1,000 metres, were on display in Libya during Libdex, though there is no proof that any of the firearms made by Kent-based RPA International were sold to the country.

David Cameron launched a defence of Britain's arms exports last week as he toured the Middle East with eight arms manufacturers. He said Britain had "nothing to be ashamed of" for selling weapons to Arab leaders.

In total, 75 arms export licences have been approved by the British government to Libya during the past three years. A spokesman for Birmingham Barbed Tape would not comment on the trip to Libya. RPA International and Primetake failed to respond to calls from the Observer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/201...air-attended-by-uk-firms?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

A lot of reports from various sources, BBC and Al Jazeera among them, that the rebellion is finally fielding professional soldiers for the first time. Commanders and defected units are now on the front lines and they managed to retake Brega. It's supposedly given the other rebels, the amateur fighters, a huge morale boost.

I'm not sure if they retook Brega. Yes they were turning down rebels with no fighting experience and only taking in those with discipline. They were also turning away news media so they would not reveal their locations to public.

HawksEye

HawksEye said:

Extended Video

I found an extended version of the video (2 videos pasted together) showing the man in the back of a pick-up truck after the shooting, the guy talking says: "This is one of the doctors", its sounds like they did not believe him. You can also see some of the prisoners both in the background on the floor and in another pick-up truck.

8:19pm

It appears that the Libyan opposition's National Council has decided to form a unified military body under the command of Abdel Fattah Yunis, the former interior minister who resigned to join the opposition.
This is the man:
7893f0dd4ca492b5446d370dbbdc.jpeg

la-sinco-libya04.jpg

What do you guys think? He currently holds a General's rank in the military. I think he can definitely offer some command structure, judging by his experience.

HawksEye

He is a good man, although he was under Gaddafi, he was one of the first to join the rebels in Benghazi and brought over 3000 soldiers with him.

In other news, French flag is selling well in rebel areas :p

"The French tricolour flag has become a popular item for Libyans hoping for an end to Muammar Gaddafi's rule and President Nicolas Sarkozy's name is on everyone's lips in the rebel capital Benghazi.

The British Union Jack and the U.S. Stars and Stripes are harder to find but people are quick to say that those governments' efforts to help the anti-Gaddafi uprising are still appreciated."
Reuters

thefro

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110401/ap_on_bi_ge/af_libya

Looks like the military who joined the rebels have finally taken control of the front lines and organized things.

Something new has appeared at the Libyan front: a semblance of order among rebel forces. Rebels without training — sometimes even without weapons — have rushed in and out of fighting in a free-for-all for weeks, repeatedly getting trounced by Moammar Gadhafi's more heavily armed forces.

But on Friday only former military officers and the lightly trained volunteers serving under them are allowed on the front lines. Some are recent arrivals, hoping to rally against forces loyal to the Libyan leader who have pushed rebels back about 100 miles this week.

The better organized fighters, unlike some of their predecessors, can tell the difference between incoming and outgoing fire. They know how to avoid sticking to the roads, a weakness in the untrained forces that Gadhafi's troops have exploited. And they know how to take orders.

At the main front, which has moved back and forth in a fringe between the rebel-held east and Gadhafi-ruled west, the rebels' losses this week underlined the inferiority of their equipment, training and organization, compared to the regime's.

There were signs of at least some rebel improvement in all three areas Friday.

The rebels had mortars, weapons they previously seemed to lack, and on Thursday night they drove in a convoy with at least eight rocket launchers — more artillery than usual. The rebels also appeared to have more communication equipment such as radios and satellite phones. A newly installed diesel generator, allowing pumps at a gas station east of the main fighting, was another improvement.

JayDubya said:
3 weeks later, "days, not weeks" is finally here. Maybe.
The U.S. Defense Department announced it will end command missions in Libya on Saturday, leaving the work for other NATO members. The decision drew incredulous reactions from some in Congress.
Don't tell me you also want NATO out.

JayDubya

Banned
RustyNails said:
Don't tell me you also want NATO out.

While "NATO" includes us still being involved still, of course, we were supposed to pass command to NATO and reduce direct US involvement quite a while ago. This mess began Sat, March 19th, did it not?

The President said transfer would occur in "days, not weeks," did he not?

Apologies. "2," not "3." Typo. Important typo, granted. Just the same...

JayDubya said:
While "NATO" includes us still being involved still, of course, we were supposed to pass command to NATO and reduce direct US involvement quite a while ago. This mess began Sat, March 19th, did it not?

The President said transfer would occur in "days, not weeks," did he not?
Transfer of command, and it did. 12 days since Odyssey Dawn, and less than that after Obama made the promise.

Ignis Fatuus said:
Transfer of command, and it did. 12 days since Odyssey Dawn, and less than that after Obama made the promise.
Yep. NATO operation Unified Protector has begun.

Also, Robert Fisk, one of my favorite journalists has a column on the state of media in Independent. It's typically Fisk in nature, very focused and sharp as a laser on a narrow topic.
I always say that reporters should be neutral and unbiased on the side of those who suffer. If you were covering the 18th-century slave trade, you would not give equal space to the slave-ship captain. At the liberation of an extermination camp, you do not give equal time to the SS. When the Palestinian Islamic Jihad blew up a pizzeria full of Israeli children in Jerusalem in 2001, I did not give equal space to the Islamic Jihad spokesman. At the Sabra and Chatila massacre in Beirut in 1982, I did not give equal time to the Israeli army who watched the killings and whose Lebanese allies committed the atrocity.

But television has different priorities. "Al Jazeera English" – as opposed to the Arabic version – manages to get it about right. Yes, I occasionally make an appearance on Al Jazeera and its reporters are good friends of mine. But it does say who the bad guys are; it does speak out, and it puts the usually pusillanimous BBC to shame. What I am most struck by, however, is the quality of the reporting. Not the actual words. But the pictures.

nyong

Banned
Looks like the rebels are committing several atrocities of their own. I've been browsing around Liveleaks. One video of an black African mercenary being lynched...like hung upside down, sliced down his back, then his head sawed off. Surrounded by a crowd of several hundred cheering people with cellphones. Another video of rebels with a pile of Gaddafi Army bodies, several with gunshot wounds to the head.

I sincerely hope that the scale of these incidents stays small. A U.S. enabled massacre is the last thing we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom