• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN and NATO to Gaddafi: Operation Odyssey Dawn |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
nyong said:
Looks like the rebels are committing several atrocities of their own. I've been browsing around Liveleaks. One video of an black African mercenary being lynched...like hung upside down, sliced down his back, then his head sawed off. Surrounded by a crowd of several hundred cheering people with cellphones. Another video of rebels with a pile of Gaddafi Army bodies, several with gunshot wounds to the head.

I sincerely hope that the scale of these incidents stays small. A U.S. enabled massacre is the last thing we need.

Kosovo all over again, this is why you don't get involved in tribalistic shitholes...you'll find no good guys here.

Al-ibn Kermit

I don't see how the US/coalition involvement would increase or decrease the likelihood of executions and torture happening. Until recently, it looked like the rebels had no organization whatsoever especially when it came to handing out the weapons they took from armories with people who probably never held a gun before getting in the back of pick-up trucks to go and fight. The executions and torture are horrible but I doubt that any foreign country made a difference or not whether that would happen.

It seems that the rebels are getting more organized/disciplined and not wanting to use any amateur soldiers anymore so hopefully they stop abusing and killing any mercenaries and soldiers they capture.

CNN Breaking: Envoy for Moammar Gadhafi is testing foreign governments' willingness to accept one of his sons as a successor.

Gaddafi just doesn't get it.

Evlar

Banned
RustyNails said:
CNN Breaking: Envoy for Moammar Gadhafi is testing foreign governments' willingness to accept one of his sons as a successor.

Gaddafi just doesn't get it.
That's been hinted at for a couple days. Italy received an envoy representing members of the Gadhafi family bargaining for some deal. Afterwards, Italy recognized the rebels as the official government of Libya and tentatively backed a plan to arm them. Or, translating the official response to the Gadhafi envoy, from the Italian: "GTFO!"

Why would Gaddaffi be willing to bargain with them now? Last I checked he still had the upper hand. Not that the rebels will accept anything else then Gaddaffi leaving.

AlimNassor said:
Why would Gaddaffi be willing to bargain with them now? Last I checked he still had the upper hand. Not that the rebels will accept anything else then Gaddaffi leaving.
His monies is frozen and military capability has been diminished. He's also under immense diplomatic and economic pressure.

nyong

Banned
This pretty much sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDVt_hSo_EU

Those reporters were not happy to hear Obama's policies compared to that of the Republican Party. We'll find out soon enough whether he was right. The US is supposedly pulling out of combat operations (now?) and yet Gaddafi is still in power. There is so much potential for this situation to backfire horribly. The only good news is that so long as the US isn't directly involved in combat operations, there is little potential for American casualties, and thus less potential for voter-outcry. Not to mention that any failure to remove Gaddafi could be somewhat pinned on the coalition troops involved in combat. The polls do suggest that voters are against arming these people, though.

nyong said:
The polls do suggest that voters are against arming these people, though.
FUCK arming them. Fuck that. I'd be Somalia all over again. Once you hand them out, you can't get them back...and without economic empowerment, those guns will get used for something other than freedom-fighting.

Steelrain

nyong said:
This pretty much sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDVt_hSo_EU

Those reporters were not happy to hear Obama's policies compared to that of the Republican Party. We'll find out soon enough whether he was right. The US is supposedly pulling out of combat operations (now?) and yet Gaddafi is still in power. There is so much potential for this situation to backfire horribly. The only good news is that so long as the US isn't directly involved in combat operations, there is little potential for American casualties, and thus less potential for voter-outcry. Not to mention that any failure to remove Gaddafi could be somewhat pinned on the coalition troops involved in combat. The polls do suggest that voters are against arming these people, though.
I agree with that guy. Sadly, I doubt he'll be asked to be interviewed on CNN again.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dreams-Visions said:
FUCK arming them. Fuck that. I'd be Somalia all over again. Once you hand them out, you can't get them back...and without economic empowerment, those guns will get used for something other than freedom-fighting.

Right. I think we will see ground troops there before we see arming the rebels. Although what we might see is active offensive air support by US/NATO/UN for ground rebel troops. As opposed to just the "defend civilians" current air campaign.

nyong

Banned
He's spot on here as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSbMuZhFDDI

Basically, he predicts that whatever government comes to fruition in Egypt will be much less friendly towards the West more generally, but specifically less friendly towards Israel. Egypt is in fact quickly changing from one of the friendliest (government) stances towards Israel--including recognition of the state's right to exist--to promises to open up the Rafah crossing, strengthen the Joint Arab Defense Agreement, and threats to declare war if Israel engages any further with militants in Gaza. I'd be pretty damned worried if I were Israel right about now.

His most cited book was originally published anonymously and was widely praised, even within the CIA, for its insights. Osama Bin Laden endorsed it as well, lol. It's called Imperial Hubris.

nyong said:

Basically, he predicts that whatever government comes to fruition in Egypt will be much less friendly towards the West more generally, but specifically less friendly towards Israel. Egypt is in fact quickly changing from one of the friendliest (government) stances towards Israel--including recognition of the state's right to exist--to promises to open up the Rafah crossing, strengthen the Joint Arab Defense Agreement, and threats to declare war if Israel engages any further with militants in Gaza. I'd be pretty damned worried if I were Israel right about now.

His most cited book was originally published anonymously and was widely praised, even within the CIA, for its insights. Osama Bin Laden endorsed it as well, lol. It's called Imperial Hubris.

The book is highly critical of the Bush Administration's handling and characterization of the War on Terrorism, and of its simplistic portrayal of Bin Laden as "evil" and "hating freedom." The book is notable in criticizing the idea that Islamist terrorists are attacking Western societies because of what they are rather than for their foreign policies. Scheuer writes:

"The fundamental flaw in our thinking about Bin Laden is that "Muslims hate and attack us for what we are and think, rather than what we do." Muslims are bothered by our modernity, democracy, and sexuality, but they are rarely spurred to action unless American forces encroach on their lands. It's American foreign policy that enrages Osama and al-Qaeda, not American culture and society."

Imperial Hubris argues that Osama bin Laden's war against the U.S. is a classical example of defensive jihad waged against an enemy occupier rather than an apocalyptic attack on "freedom." Scheuer is particularly critical of the U.S.-led war in Iraq, which he characterizes as "an avaricious, premeditated, unprovoked war against a foe who posed no immediate threat but whose defeat did offer economic advantages." For Scheuer, the war in Iraq was like a "Christmas gift" to bin Laden not just because it distracted the U.S. military from the war against al Qaeda, but more importantly because it has provided global jihadists a failed state from which to operate that is even more conducive to terrorism than Afghanistan. By attacking and occupying the second holiest place in Shi'a Islam, the U.S. has turned Iraq into a lightning rod for jihadists from around the globe to come attack the occupying armies. The invasion, he argues, has provided credibility and substance to bin Laden's assertion that terrorists are waging a defensive jihad against foreign occupier bent on destroying Islam.
The book is also notable for its critique of the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan, which Scheuer insists that the U.S. is losing badly. The Taliban, he argues, was not defeated; it is simply biding its time for the eventual withdrawal of U.S. troops and the inevitable collapse of Hamid Karzai's government in Kabul. "Karzai's defeat may not come tomorrow," he writes, "but come it will, and the Prophet's banner will again be unfurled over Kabul."​

It's amazing how this simple fact is consistently ignored. The whole substance behind US foreign policy is automatically ignored as soon as advocates invoke the terms 'freedom' and 'democracy'. Case in example; this thread.

Omiee

nyong said:

well about fucking time, i realy dont want any more wars in that region. but its about time israel felt some pressure on it. they have been doing what they want the past few years, taking more and more land and with the us veto'ing everything they are getting away with it as well.
i realy hope egypt becomes less friendly against israel and at least opens the borders.

Sealda

Banned
The best would be to just evacuate the whole Israel population to the USA. After all its just 7 million people! (and now i am talking what would be the best for the Israelis)

CNN Breaking: Moammar Gadhafi sent letter to President Obama urging him to stop NATO bombings, senior administration official says.

lol. C'mon moomy. Do you think Obama will go "ok colonel" and stop the bombing raids?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Sealda said:

I was warming up to this guy until I started looking at his past statements:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btWtQ-i73UM

He's a bit of loon if you ask me... "Sir" "but Sir" "Its not like that Sir" "No one in the US knows that BinLaden hates us because of foreign policy Sir" (really? I cant find a single person who thinks al qaeda attacked us because they hate our freedoms). He seems to have an unstable character and poor chooser of words like this brilliant paraphased quote "I think dont Isreal deaths are worth a single US dollar".

Steelrain

PistolGrip said:
I was warming up to this guy until I started looking at his past statements:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btWtQ-i73UM

He's a bit of loon if you ask me... "Sir" "but Sir" "Its not like that Sir" "No one in the US knows that BinLaden hates us because of foreign policy Sir" (really? I cant find a single person who thinks al qaeda attacked us because they hate our freedoms). He seems to have an unstable character and poor chooser of words like this brilliant paraphased quote "I think dont Isreal deaths are worth a single US dollar".

I can assure you, there are many.

Meus Renaissance said:
"It's American foreign policy that enrages Osama and al-Qaeda, not American culture and society."

This is an outrageous assertion to anyone familiar with the history of Al-Queda.

Al-Queda was formed by an Egyptian and Saudi Arabian with the goal of assisting the Afghan Mujahadeen in the effort to drive the Soviet Union out of Afghanistan. From the beginning, the group has had theological justifications that define the local country rulers as the "near enemy" and the US as the "far enemy", a definition based less on the imperialist actions of the US but on its character as a force for secularism in the world.

Al-Queda is fighting an ideological war, and to boil their grievances down to foreign policy alone is absurd. Keep in mind that the US was involved in no hot wars in the middle east at the time Al Queda carried out 9/11.

What Scheuer would be accurate in saying if he said it, is that the young men who form the base for Al Queda and other fundamentalist groups are motivated more by American intervention than anything else. That is a fair statement. However, the leadership of these groups is and will continue to be motivated chiefly by ideology.

nyong

Banned
PistolGrip said:
He seems to have an unstable character and poor chooser of words like this brilliant paraphased quote "I think dont Isreal deaths are worth a single US dollar".
That may be an inflammatory choice in words, but his point (I think) is that the region needs to settle its own differences. He's taken a hard-stance against foreign intervention, both because of its perception among people in the region and because our motivations are, like it or not, fundamentally about our own interests to a great degree. No intervention. Period. To include supposed humanitarian efforts in defense of innocent life.

As for the video, he's not necessarily wrong. The charge of racism is equally baseless to cries of racism against Bush, but there is--even on this board--the implication that (whether due to Western exploitation, religion...whatever) people in that region don't know any better. That they kill each other, that they're socially unenlightened in comparison to ourselves, and that they would be better off if they only adopted a Western secular democracy. It's basically the same old West-teaching-savage-to-be-civilized story that we read about in the history books, albeit not as overtly racist, and often with good intent. I mean, this is arrogance...it's arguably racist...but there is definitely some truth to what he says. We've picked sides in a civil war here, not simply decided to off a leader despised by everyone. Moreoever, Western interests in Libya are undeniably economic. France was burning through their oil reserves once the flow from Libya stopped.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Steelrain said:
I can assure you, there are many.
There are a lot of idiotic people true but to think that Americans all over (or even the majority) have been tricked into thinking this is the reason they attacked us is naive.

nyong said:
That may be an inflammatory choice in words, but his point (I think) is that the region needs to settle its own differences. He's taken a hard-stance against foreign intervention, both because of its perception among people in the region and because our motivations are, like it or not, fundamentally about our own interests to a great degree. No intervention. Period. To include supposed humanitarian efforts in defense of innocent life.
the whole point of my post is that I agree with some of his statements but he has weird character and is a poor chooser of words in explaining his ideas. I definitely stand strongly behind him on the Israel issue.

PistolGrip said:
Here's one right here.
adversesolutions said:
This is an outrageous assertion to anyone familiar with the history of Al-Queda.

Al-Queda was formed by an Egyptian and Saudi Arabian with the goal of assisting the Afghan Mujahadeen in the effort to drive the Soviet Union out of Afghanistan. From the beginning, the group has had theological justifications that define the local country rulers as the "near enemy" and the US as the "far enemy", a definition based less on the imperialist actions of the US but on its character as a force for secularism in the world.

Al-Queda is fighting an ideological war, and to boil their grievances down to foreign policy alone is absurd. Keep in mind that the US was involved in no hot wars in the middle east at the time Al Queda carried out 9/11.

What Scheuer would be accurate in saying if he said it, is that the young men who form the base for Al Queda and other fundamentalist groups are motivated more by American intervention than anything else. That is a fair statement. However, the leadership of these groups is and will continue to be motivated chiefly by ideology.

There is no way this is going to end well.

Rebels in eastern Libya say their forces have been mistakenly hit in a Nato air raid.

Doctors in Ajdabiya told the BBC at least 12 rebel fighters had been killed by the strike on a rebel tank position.

The BBC's Wyre Davies reports chaotic scenes on the outskirts of Ajdabiya, with rebel forces in retreat reporting being hit by Nato air strikes.

It is the third such incident in recent days involving international forces deployed to protect Libyan civilians.

One rebel commander told the BBC he saw at least four missiles land among rebel fighters.

Many people have been killed and many more have been injured, he said.

The rebels had been taking a group of tanks, armoured vehicles and rocket launchers near the front line between the towns of Ajdabiya and Brega in more than 30 transporters.

Ambulances were seen heading in the opposite direction, towards the hospital in Ajdabiya, following the apparent Nato hit.

There is considerable anger among rebel troops after what appears to have been a terrible mistake, our correspondent says.

They ask why rebel units were hit, when they could be seen clearly advancing in a westerly direction towards the front line, he adds.

Rebel forces in the area began retreating on Wednesday after heavy bombardment from government forces.

They had been calling for more Nato air strikes in recent days

Nato is said to be looking into the incident.

The alliance took over a week ago air operations from a US, French and British coalition to enforce a UN mandate to protect civilians in Libya.
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12997181

Was inevitable. Crazy G's forces have been doing their best to appear similar to the rebels for a while now. If they want to fix the issue then they need to supply the rebels with IFF indicators ASAP.

Though with that said, they'd likely make it into the hands of the enemy at some point anyway. With no effective command structure monitoring the location of the rebel troops and reporting them to NATO it's going to happen more often... that, or hitting targets in / near towns is going to stop completely.

Kurtofan

HawksEye said:
Are Nato that bad compared to the collation lead by the US? they seem less able to focus on on air raids on different fronts without the US, and killing more rebels then Gaddafi in the east lol
The coalition wasn't led by the US.

A couple of interesting charts to perhaps help extrapolate an analysis of the level of intervention based upon Libyan oil.

EU Crude Oil Imports
IhLxC.png

top%20importers_3.jpg

Note China's non-interventionist approach despite its stake. Sign of a dynamic shift in global foreign policy to come from an Eastern Super Power?

Salvor.Hardin said:
There is no way this is going to end well.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12997181

Yeah yeah. News flash...you are in a war. Friendly fire, while unfortunate, happens. Especially in a country where armed civilians, paid mercs, and military probably all look pretty similar on imaging devices.

But yes...I'm sure they will rage. Worse yet, the anti-American horn blowers will be all over this as well (even if there was no direct American involvement).

adversesolutions said:

Uh, first Gulf War didn't piss off Bin Laden when Saudi Arabia refused his help, and declared a fatwa against the west?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
RustyNails said:
Here's one right here.
Quite the opposite. I dont know how you can read his comment and think this.

From this statement:

So he is saying that yes Scheuer is partly right but its not all about foreign policy. Its also about ideology. Meaning that they have guns because of their ideology and they point their guns towards the us because of Foreign Policy.

I myself see it a bit different. Foreign Policy is what ignites the hate and feeling to fight but Idelogy is what keeps it going.

[Nintex]

HawksEye said:
Are Nato that bad compared to the collation lead by the US? they seem less able to focus on on air raids on different fronts without the US, and killing more rebels then Gaddafi in the east lol
It's a difficult mission. Some rebels are defected soldiers, others use equipment seized from Gaddafi. It's hard to tell who's making a move when the rebels are so disorganized and sometimes stuck between fronts or way ahead of the rest of their group.

HawksEye

A rebel spokesmen says it was a pro-gaddafi aircraft that bombed them. Keeping in mind you can use any road to fly these small aircrafts, and Brega has a small runway,

Meanwhile, a rebel spokesman said Thursday's fatal air strike was carried out by pro-government forces rather than by Nato.

"This was not a Nato air-strike; on the contrary, it was conducted by Gaddafi's brigades using SIAI Marchetti SF-260 planes," Col Ahmad Bani told al-Arabiya television.
Soruce: BBC

Luckyman said:
Gaddafi son on bbcworld. Delusional as hell
Saif? apparently the man is dim witted. While writing his doctoral thesis at the LSE, one of his economics tutours said the man had no interest in economics and lacked the intellectual capability to even undertake a doctoral thesis. really undermines LSE's credibility.

nyong said:

sounds like a good thing to me. Egypt will not stand idly by during the next Cast Lead and keep the Gazans in their cage. Also, I'd like the source of the claim that ElBaradei threatened to declare war, thats sounds like an extremely slanted interpretation of his words.

theignoramus said:
Saif? apparently the man is dim witted. While writing his doctoral thesis at the LSE, one of his economics tutours said the man had no interest in economics and lacked the intellectual capability to even undertake a doctoral thesis. really undermines LSE's credibility.
I heard on NPR that his thesis was ghost written and they found instances of plagiarism. Last I heard, LSE was conducting an investigation.

Sealda

Banned
Its possible the Rebels told NATO that they had no tanks while in fact they did have tanks. NATO might have even explained to them "IF your not honest with us, we might accidentally shot your tanks!". However, the rebels lied to NATO about them not having any tanks. NATO might even seen on the news that the rebels had tanks but, after all, they trust the rebels to tell them the truth and they might even have reasoned that the Rebels can suit themselves then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom