• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Tricky I Shadow said:
Uncharted 2, this gens Resident Evil 4?
i'd say mgs3 before re4.

or god of war 2 due to the unified praise of the game. but i don't think it's ps3's send off so that wouldn't work either.

really, uncharted 2 is this gens uncharted 2 and that's that. there's nothing like it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
so1337 said:
I'm a little pissed off right now. The German dub is a atrocious and the English dub isn't on the euro-version.
Do you have your System Language set to German (Settings -> System Settings -> System Language)? I think I remember hearing that you had to change the System Language to change the in game dub.

DJ Crimson said:
Sorry if this has already been answered but is there any point in having the U2 Beta saves & game data? Are stats from the beta completely erased?
Stats are saved server side and they wont follow you from the beta.

Tiktaalik

nib95 said:
They actually did it in only 18 months. Less than 2 years, which is even more impressive. How? I have no idea....something in the water is my guess! :D

Well for one thing they already created most of the core tech. Absolutely there is new stuff here but they are also building on an incredible base.

autobzooty said:
I hate to rain on the graphics parade, but wasn't it confirmed that the cutscenes are FMVs? ND said it was for the purpose of loading the next area while a cutscene played. Whether or not it's just FMVs of in-engine stuff is debatable, but I'm pretty sure there's no chance in hell.

See that? Up there? That was me trying to find something wrong with this game. How'd I do?
There are lot of aliasing in the cutscenes tiny ones at that but still aliasing. You can do better then that man.

Norml

Mountaineering
level is best for 2009.

Some MP pics.

24y20i8.jpg

2airdba.jpg

YAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAY!

yay!

Uncharted 2 - get. :D :D :D :D :D

Odd that that UK version has the old PS3 branding though.

so1337

Killthee said:
Do you have your System Language set to German (Settings -> System Settings -> System Language)? I think I remember hearing that you had to change the System Language to change the in game dub.
I just noticed there's an option to alter the language of dub and subtitles in the main menu. English is included, as are most Euro languages.

autobzooty said:
Whipped this up real fast, what do you guys think?

NG.png

I can't help but laugh at myself for making something like this :lol

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread of TRUSTING IN GOD

Someone make it so!!!!

autobzooty said:
I hate to rain on the graphics parade, but wasn't it confirmed that the cutscenes are FMVs? ND said it was for the purpose of loading the next area while a cutscene played. Whether or not it's just FMVs of in-engine stuff is debatable, but I'm pretty sure there's no chance in hell.

See that? Up there? That was me trying to find something wrong with this game. How'd I do?

You are thinking of insomniac - not naughty god.

My copy was delivered to my house just after I left for work this morning, but it's almost going home time which means it's almost Uncharted 2 o'clock!

I'm in Australia and I'm getting it the day before the official release date. The site I bought it from was kind enough to ship it five days before the release date, due to the estimated 4-5 day delivery time, and the Post Office came through for me:D

NinjaFusion said:
You are thinking of insomniac - not naughty god.

I want to believe, but I'm having a hard time. I mean, there's a noticeable jump between FMV and in-game stuff. The fact that I can tell the difference to me means that the FMVs were not recorded in-game. Although it's possible that the difference I'm seeing is just because we're getting extreme closeups on the characters when usually we're panned back a little bit.

Honestly though, it hardly matters in the face of what this game has accomplished. CG cutscenes are just a pet peeve of mine.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
CG cutscenes are only annoying when they look better than the gameplay, so there is a jarring jump. When it's as seamless as this, it hardly fucking matters.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So far I'm in Chapter 5 and the ride has been FANTASTIC. Holy shit, I love this game so far. The ride has been unlike anything I've ever experienced. I was having trouble connecting to the multiplayer since it would sync with my live data, but it appears to be working properly now.

McBacon said:
CG cutscenes are only annoying when they look better than the gameplay, so there is a jarring jump. When it's as seamless as this, it hardly fucking matters.

Yeah, the difference isn't as jarring as, say Final Fantasy, and there's not a big load time separating the gameplay from the FMV, so it's done more gracefully than most other games.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Uncharted 2, this gens Resident Evil 4?

Bad_Boy said:
i'd say mgs3 before re4.

or god of war 2 due to the unified praise of the game. but i don't think it's ps3's send off so that wouldn't work either.

really, uncharted 2 is this gens uncharted 2 and that's that. there's nothing like it.

Eh, I was talking in terms of how ahead of its time it is + how much its loved and how perfect an action/adventure game can be.

In terms of overall quality it seems to me like it’s this gens Resident Evil 4 (keep in mind I haven’t even played Uncharted 2 yet!)

And I personally, along with I'm pretty sure the majority of gamers think that Resident Evil 4 was the stand out game of last gen.

So I just finished first two chapters. Starting was great. But I don't like second chapter. Soured my first impressions. I wouldn't have any problem if it was somewhere in middle or after that.

Tell me that is the only level which forces stealth gameplay.

Cutscenes look great. No hideous characters.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Eh, I was talking in terms of how ahead of its time it is + how much its loved and how perfect an action/adventure game can be.

In terms of overall quality it seems to me like it’s this gens Resident Evil 4 (keep in mind I haven’t even played Uncharted 2 yet!)

And I personally, along with I'm pretty sure the majority of gamers think that Resident Evil 4 was the stand out game of last gen.

One of... it may not be my favourite from a gameplay perspective, but Shadow of the Collosus was the stand out game for me...never played a game beautiful and poetic

Hojaho

so1337 said:
I'm a little pissed off right now. The German dub is a atrocious and the English dub isn't on the euro-version.
eww, can someone confirm that ?
I don't want the french dub either and my game is already shipping. ._.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So I just beat the game. Took me 11 hours and 32 minutes on Normal. Impressions tomorrow... but I will say I never once wanted to put down the controller. Definitely the best game I've played in a long while.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Kagari said:
So I just beat the game. Took me 11 hours and 32 minutes on Normal. Impressions tomorrow... but I will say I never once wanted to put down the controller. Definitely the best game I've played in a long while.
I don't want to put it down either, but it's also getting kind of late. AHHHHHH.

Ballistictiger said:
The stealth gameplay was pretty damn easy. All you got to do is look at where the guards are looking at.
I got caught like six times. :lol I loved it though.

NeoUltima

So I'm at the start of 22 and have played 7hr. Is that shorter than most people :(? I see most saying the game took them like 10hr to complete...I can't imagine the final 3 chapters can take 3 hours.

edit: Nvm game has 26 chapters, there is more left than I thought :)
Also,
2w66ou1.jpg

Crazy that's all you have to type in and that is first thing to come up.

Toki767

NeoUltima said:
So I'm at the start of 22 and have played 7hr. Is that shorter than most people :(? I see most saying the game took them like 10hr to complete...I can't imagine the final 3 chapters can take 3 hours.
There are some long chapters. That and you still have like 5 chapters to go.

Toki767

deepbrown said:
Only found three treasure so far - then I found out they can be on ceilings and you have to shoot them off! :lol
I learned that after my first playthrough. My second playthrough was spent looking up at the ceilings most of the time.:lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Tricky I Shadow said:

Oh I meant the same.

I didn't like RE4 as much as the rest of GAF, so I guess thats where we differ lol. It was good, but not great. And I don't think it was ahead of it's time, god of war 1 came out a few months after iirc. God of war 2 was graphically on top of it's class like Uncharted 2. Ahead of it's time. Also, an amazing sequel to an already well accepted game. But I feel there will be more that don't like GOW2 than those who don't like Uncharted 2.

So at the end of the day, I don't think you can compare it to anything.

NeoUltima

deepbrown said:
Only found three treasure so far - then I found out they can be on ceilings and you have to shoot them off! :lol
Haha yeah, I didn't figure that out until way later. I must have missed a shitload.

Toki767

Awntawn said:
got lucky with a couple of nade tosses........ i hope this is more reasonable now with
crossbow
>.>
The crossbow was like a one hit kill most of the time. 2 hits at the most.

Jaroof

I
love
this game.

And :lol @
Marco! Polo! and "Sweating like a hooker in church"
Sooo many little details that just blow me away.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Finished!

Final boss wasn't much to write home about, but at least it's better than part 1.

I dunno about you guys though, but when everyone was swearing up and down about the scale and epicness of God of War, I never really felt it; THIS game, however, I sure as hell feel it like a kick in the balls.

Makes me wish there were Uncharted novels and definitely a movie.

THIS is what Indy should've been, but I think it got caught up in it's own mythos it could never do anything like this.

Story = fantastic. Plus the fact I'm an East Asian Studies major just made it that much more interesting
Combat = awesome, but can be a bit repetitive. I just wish there was more variety in the way you can take an opponent down (shoot sign falling down on enemy, shoot gun out of hand, etc etc). They did have more than the first one, but maybe I'm just spoiled by Batman.
Graphics = hands down the best I've seen. I find it odd companies aren't doing more mocap/voice acting at the same time seeing how natural it looks in Uncharted.
Platforming elements = doesn't seem to be as many as the first game, but I like this as the first one did overkill it at times
Puzzle elements = didn't interrupt the gameplay too much, so I thought it was okay. I also liked that they worked it into the context of the story somewhat, not like "Nathan enters a temple...now he must solve an arithmetic puzzle".
Extras = I wish there were more! And I wish more games incorporated them! Sort of like movies and then a behind the scenes and odd facts about the movie. Also wish there were interviews by the mocap/voice actors again, but I'm satisfied with the other stuff.

I can't really pinpoint what exactly it is I like about the game. It all works together so well that it makes me wonder why other companies can't do the same. From the company philosophy right down to the marketing and game mechanics, who knew it would be so hard to make a damn fine game?

I do wish there were more levels like the first one though. Man, what I would give for DLC of another caper just like that...

DR2K

Banned
Kind of disappointed at the amount of multiplayer levels. The ones not in the beta are really cool though, but still feels like there should be a couple more. Rest of the game is amazing.

-Amon-

Hojaho said:
eww, can someone confirm that ?
I don't want the french dub either and my game is already shipping. ._.

I've got the Italian limited edition ( steel case ) . I'm at work right now so i can't check but i'm sure you can have english dub, it's the first thing i've done in game. There are other dubs too, i think german and french. Language for PS3 is set to Italian.

I think you can change written text language in game too, but not 100% sure about it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Awntawn said:
got lucky with a couple of nade tosses........ i hope this is more reasonable now with
crossbow
>.>
The Mercs start dropping better weapons after that one section so it should get a lot easier.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just a quick confirmation: the uncompressed PCM audio is out of this world. I was hiding in trees in my last gaming session and I could hear the leaves in the wind and birds around me, as if I was really there.If you have an HD sound system, this is an experience you won't want to miss :)

deepbrown

McBacon said:
Except that these cutscenes were rendered on a PS3 and then recorded as 1080p FMVs. And I know you know that - but just pointing it out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom